Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shadesofjoe

Muting Jason - Exploit?

31 posts in this topic

On PS4 I've noticed that many players have started muting Jason... not because they don't want to hear him talk, but because if you mute Jason he can't hear you talk, either. As a result, when Jason is chasing after a counselor, that person can freely talk about whatever objectives or other strategy elements they want without fear of Jason hearing them. 

Personally, I think this is exploitative. Counselors should have to watch what they say around Jason since he can hear them. If the developers didn't intend for Jason to hear a counselor talking when in proximity, they wouldn't have included it in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

On PS4 I've noticed that many players have started muting Jason... not because they don't want to hear him talk, but because if you mute Jason he can't hear you talk, either. As a result, when Jason is chasing after a counselor, that person can freely talk about whatever objectives or other strategy elements they want without fear of Jason hearing them. 

Personally, I think this is exploitative. Counselors should have to watch what they say around Jason since he can hear them. If the developers didn't intend for Jason to hear a counselor talking when in proximity, they wouldn't have included it in the game. 

yup someone said that during a game yesterday and we all muted Jason. 

I am torn on this issue - does the Jason in the movies actually listen to counselors and understand them? At times it seems so (ie - part 6 with Tommy, although that could just be anger at seeing Jason). Rarely if ever do I recall him listening in on a conversation and then acting on what he overhears. So, if its not movie cannon I don't see a problem with it in game

I mute Jason because it takes me out of the atmosphere of the game when it's some geek talking shit as Jason

Manny1985 likes this

Is talking in a language Jason doesn't understand an exploit too? It's not an exploit, you shouldn't be relying on what people say to win the game as jason anyways. People can just use Skype or discord to talk out of game anyways and it's basically impossible to catch someone doing it in game.

Just now, 7theye said:

yup someone said that during a game yesterday and we all muted Jason. 

I am torn on this issue - does the Jason in the movies actually listen to counselors and understand them? At times it seems so (ie - part 6 with Tommy, although that could just be anger at seeing Jason). Rarely if ever do I recall him listening in on a conversation and then acting on what he overhears. So, if its not movie cannon I don't see a problem with it in game

Jason reacts to Ginny in Part 2 when she speaks to him as mother and to Tommy in Part 4 when he gives him the "remember" speech. It's clear he understands what they are saying. 

Just now, Shadesofjoe said:

Jason reacts to Ginny in Part 2 when she speaks to him as mother and to Tommy in Part 4 when he gives him the "remember" speech. It's clear he understands what they are saying. 

Yeah he does there. Although the sweater may have magic powers who knows.

Also Jason never talks in movies. Its annoying having someone talking non stop as Jason so i can see muting him as being more cannon

Just now, 7theye said:

Also Jason never talks in movies. Its annoying having someone talking non stop as Jason so i can see muting him as being more cannon

I agree that muting Jason to not hear him talk should be a legitimate option. It just shouldn't work both ways.

Is talking in a language Jason doesn't understand an exploit too? It's not an exploit, you shouldn't be relying on what people say to win the game as jason anyways. People can just use Skype or discord to talk out of game anyways and it's basically impossible to catch someone doing it in game.

You're intentionally splitting hairs here. Just because people can find ways to skirt the rules doesn't mean that it's right or that the rules don't matter. If people want to cheat, they will cheat. But that doesn't mean the game should have a built-in mechanism for them to do so.

I mute myself unless I have something to say. That way Jason doesn't see my mic pop up, if he doesn't know I'm around. Other than that, I actually like talking smack, especially when I'm kiting Jason around. As far as muting Jason, I don't really mind when people do it. If I'm the J-man, mute or no, you still getting bashed. 

4 minutes ago, Motoko said:

Jason SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE

PERIOD

I disagree, this is online and online people should be able to speak even if they are Jason. I can understand if it's story and he's mute the whole time but it's online, Jason speaks, just mute him if you don't like it or just play DbD, heard the killer can't hear or even talk to the players. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I disagree, this is online and online people should be able to speak even if they are Jason. I can understand if it's story and he's mute the whole time but it's online, Jason speaks, just mute him if you don't like it or just play DbD, heard the killer can't hear or even talk to the players. 

Dead by daylight is so different from this game, and its terribly awful beyond bad trash tier. 

Again, I have no problem if people want to mute Jason for immersion purposes or if he's being a douchenozzle.

My issue is that muting Jason also keeps Jason from hearing you talk, which is clearly not in line with the mechanics of how the game is supposed to work, imo.

Just now, Motoko said:

Dead by daylight is so different from this game, and its terribly awful beyond bad trash tier. 

I haven't played it, it's 50/50 between people. I've seen the movies and yeah Jason is silent and doesn't talk but having players who are in game who play Jason can listen and speak with people making it harder for some to figure out who is friend or foe. If you hate it then there is a mute option, to me it doesn't ruin it, I have a lot of fun playing with people who have mics or not. Heck I have fun with NES Jason chasing people, it cracks me up and I have fun. 

I am surprised to learn of this; why would Gun implement a two-way mute on a one person toggle in a game with proximity chat?? That makes no sense!  Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Xbox Live & PSN allow players you mute to hear you?  Isn't it a "one way street" when you mute someone, and for them not to hear you- they would have to toggle mute on your profile as well??  

I have a feeling this will catch on like a wildfire, spread fast, and may hurt the game.  I can see the tags/descriptions for Private Matches now: #nomutes #iwanttohearyouscream  #nomutingjason  "Any one muting Jason will be kicked" etc., etc.

3 minutes ago, Ker Juice said:

I am surprised to learn of this; why would Gun implement a two-way mute on a one person toggle in a game with proximity chat?? That makes no sense!  Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Xbox Live & PSN allow players you mute to hear you?  Isn't it a "one way street" when you mute someone, and for them not to hear you- they would have to toggle mute on your profile as well??  

In GTA Online on PS4 once I mute someone they can't hear me at all. I can't hear them and they can't hear me. It's a cut off. It's a feature so you don't have to hear them and they can't hear you. I find it stupid but that's something I do know. 

24 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

I had no idea it worked that way. I always figured that when you mute somebody, you can't hear them but they can still hear you. With that in mind I totally agree with you on it being somewhat exploitative IF he can't hear the counselors talking when he is within proximity of them.

Personally, I wish they would remove communication between counselors and Jason. Just let it be "noise" to Jason, that way counselors still have to keep in check how loud they talk. Like Jason never really listens to people unless they're wearing his momma's sweater or are little boys with shaved heads, so... A good Jason doesn't need to listen to "words" when he has sound cues for his traps, escape vehicles, etc. 

1 minute ago, Pjthines said:

A good Jason doesn't need to listen to "words" when he has sound cues for his traps, escape vehicles, etc. 

Half the time those sound cues might not happen if that player puts the parts in right so it could be bypassed. Hearing other players talk about if they have the keys or they have the gas can cut them off before they can escape. 

NthnButAGoodTime likes this

You can theorize all you want about what Jason should and shouldn't be able to do in terms of story canon, but proximity chat is a core element of this game. Intentionally bypassing proximity chat in order to gain a competitive advantage is tantamount to cheating.

NthnButAGoodTime likes this

4 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

You can theorize all you want about what Jason should and shouldn't be able to do in terms of story canon, but proximity chat is a core element of this game. Intentionally bypassing proximity chat in order to gain a competitive advantage is tantamount to cheating.

I do agree, Jason should still hear players talking. It's something that does happens in films. I mean why else is the battery and gas and key's all hiding... Jason what are you doing?

I tend to mute Jason, and disconnect my mic when I am Jason. I am not a fan of the talking Jasons.

I was muting Jason until recently. And I usually disconnect my mic as Jason since I don't talk as Jason.

It's probably an exploit to mute as a counselor which is part of the reason I stopped.

Jason can and should be able to hear people. In part 2,4,6,9,X,and FvJ he shows that he can hear and understand people.

As far as speaking,I'm on the fence. Lore and immersion wise, other than a few grunts and if you count part 9 when he's in the guys body, he doesnt speak. But we are playing a omline game and taking the players ability to communicate away seems wrong.

Regardless, muting him so he can't hear you seems wrong.

I do agree it seems exploitative and unfair to Jason if you're muting him with the intention of discussing objectives without his knowledge. Hopefully this is something Gun can address so that Jason can still hear counselors even though he's been muted. Nevertheless, if there is an annoying Jason who just doesn't know when to shut up, I can't help  the unintended beneficial side effect of him being unable to hear me when I mute him because I'm tired of listening to him. My immersion in the world of F13 far outweighs some clucking chicken's ability to hear what I'm saying, lol. If he won't shut up then he's not listening to what anyone is saying anyway. Still, I hope this gets fixed so that honest players aren't doing something wrong and unfair when they're simply trying to enjoy this game made by fans for fans... and fans know, Jason no go "blah blah blah."

3 minutes ago, Pjthines said:

Jason no go "blah blah blah."

Jason has talked before but that was him going from body to body and if I'm correct that movie is cannon lol