bewareofbears

Meanwhile, on Reddit...

640 posts in this topic

Thought this was interesting, apparently Illphonic is also working on another game, called 'Dead Alliance'. Might explain why patches for Friday the 13th seem delayed.

giphy.gif

@bewareofbears

To be honest a company like Illfonic would have to have more than one client to maintain itself.  I've done some research and there isn't much to find on the inner workings of the company. Usually I see between 11-50 employees listed on multiple sites that provide company profiles but I did find one profile that gave a solid number of 40 employees. I also found an article by a guy going by tentonhammer who visited Illfonic and said he was surprised by how many people actually work there and went on to say they have tons of workstations all over the place. 

If gun was their sole client Illfonic would be out of business. Think about it like this. This game is $40 and it sold X number of units. While I don't know sales figures let's just say 100,000 across all platforms. I think that number is more than generous for this game.  So that's $40 * 100000 = $4,000,000. Assuming that money is going  back into development it would have to pay for all salaries of Gun employees, lawyers, PR, and the Illfonic employees working on the game. If gun was Illfonics sole client it wouldn't be able to sustain 40 employees for even a year and that's if gun poured every cent into Illfonic. Not to mention that a portion of the profits right off the top goes to the executive producers that helped fund the project. 

Illfonic isn't a heavy hitter in the game industry. Sometimes they just create pieces of the game that gets integrated into the larger project. They are not activision or any number of large game companies that have whole divisions that are solely devoted to one game. It's just not possible for them to have one client at a time. 

Plus you can't really have more than one person fixing the same problem. Multiple people can diagnose and find the problem and they can discuss ways to fix it but it's an individual that will fix one problem. Would be counterproductive to have more than one working same issue. You know, conflicting work. I would say they probably have between 5-10 people working on finding and fixing issues. That's about 3 people per platform. This is an assumption but I think it's fairly well reasoned. 

As far as Xbox goes they could just have less experienced employees when it comes to Xbox which would explain why it has so many issues and why it's taking so long to fix. 

I think that this is being handled poorly but I can see what they are having deal with too. Honestly, Gun should throw more money and support behind Xbox development for the time being and hire an extra and more experienced programmer if that's what it takes to get it done. 

bewareofbears and AldermachXI like this

17 hours ago, Brigadius said:

giphy.gif

@bewareofbears

To be honest a company like Illfonic would have to have more than one client to maintain itself.  I've done some research and there isn't much to find on the inner workings of the company. Usually I see between 11-50 employees listed on multiple sites that provide company profiles but I did find one profile that gave a solid number of 40 employees. I also found an article by a guy going by tentonhammer who visited Illfonic and said he was surprised by how many people actually work there and went on to say they have tons of workstations all over the place. 

If gun was their sole client Illfonic would be out of business. Think about it like this. This game is $40 and it sold X number of units. While I don't know sales figures let's just say 100,000 across all platforms. I think that number is more than generous for this game.  So that's $40 * 100000 = $4,000,000. Assuming that money is going  back into development it would have to pay for all salaries of Gun employees, lawyers, PR, and the Illfonic employees working on the game. If gun was Illfonics sole client it wouldn't be able to sustain 40 employees for even a year and that's if gun poured every cent into Illfonic. Not to mention that a portion of the profits right off the top goes to the executive producers that helped fund the project. 

Illfonic isn't a heavy hitter in the game industry. Sometimes they just create pieces of the game that gets integrated into the larger project. They are not activision or any number of large game companies that have whole divisions that are solely devoted to one game. It's just not possible for them to have one client at a time. 

Plus you can't really have more than one person fixing the same problem. Multiple people can diagnose and find the problem and they can discuss ways to fix it but it's an individual that will fix one problem. Would be counterproductive to have more than one working same issue. You know, conflicting work. I would say they probably have between 5-10 people working on finding and fixing issues. That's about 3 people per platform. This is an assumption but I think it's fairly well reasoned. 

As far as Xbox goes they could just have less experienced employees when it comes to Xbox which would explain why it has so many issues and why it's taking so long to fix. 

I think that this is being handled poorly but I can see what they are having deal with too. Honestly, Gun should throw more money and support behind Xbox development for the time being and hire an extra and more experienced programmer if that's what it takes to get it done. 

Good points. I have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to this game but I'm also not particularly knowledgeable on how game companies work. Makes sense that working for one publisher is obviously not sustainable. I wonder if they have folks dedicated specifically to F13 or if there's a sort of pecking order of what needs to be completed based on submission from varying publishers.

28 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Good points. I have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to this game but I'm also not particularly knowledgeable on how game companies work. Makes sense that working for one publisher is obviously not sustainable. I wonder if they have folks dedicated specifically to F13 or if there's a sort of pecking order of what needs to be completed based on submission from varying publishers.

Yeah, it definitely makes sense.

It's always tricky pinning down who's to blame in situations like this.

Were the glitches caused by incompetent developers, or penny-pinching publishers? If the latter's to blame, then you can't blame the devs for moving on.

Would you work for free? I wouldn't.

43 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

It's always tricky pinning down who's to blame in situations like this.

Were the glitches caused by incompetent developers, or penny-pinching publishers? If the latter's to blame, then you can't blame the devs for moving on.

Would you work for free? I wouldn't.

Tough to know what's going on but it does feel like there's some kind of disconnect with how difficult it has been to get XBox upto par. There's something about someone from Microsoft helping as well. I'm curious to see if Dead Alliance has any similar launch issues.

Someone on reddit found this video. A deep dive into illfonic's track record. I honestly had no idea about the sonic game,star citizen,the mmo and the rest of the games they have made/are working on. Seems to be a pattern...

Does a good on job explaining how this all fell into Gun Media's lap,even if he doesn't get the original name of the game right.

Trigger-Warning.jpg

K3ys3r S0z3 and lHeartBreakerl like this

1 minute ago, thatdudescott said:

Someone on reddit found this video. A deep dive into illfonic's track record. I honestly had no idea about the sonic game,star citizen,the mmo and the rest of the games they have made/are working on. Seems to be a pattern...

Saw this earlier this morning, wasn't sure if I should share it or not.

But, to quote trillmill: "Holy shit, that lachappa really exposed illfonic huh"

K3ys3r S0z3 likes this

4 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Saw this earlier this morning, wasn't sure if I should share it or not.

Doesn't break any forum rules.

And it's related to the thread.

;)

lHeartBreakerl likes this

In other news, did you know that McDonald's is working on at least five sandwiches OTHER than the McRib?

Clearly this is a slap in the face to the McRib fans. Of course, if we looked at their track record with the Arch Deluxe, McDLT, and that whole pizza debacle, we would've seen this coming from a mile away. 

Hamburgler, indeed...

Manny1985 likes this

2 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

In other news, did you know that McDonald's is working on at least five sandwiches OTHER than the McRib?

Comparing video games to burgers is literally like comparing video games to burgers.

IE: nothing in common.

RKSDooM, Turtle, 7theye and 2 others like this

5 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Clearly this is a slap in the face to the McRib fans. Of course, if we looked at their track record with the Arch Deluxe, McDLT, and that whole pizza debacle, we would've seen this coming from a mile away. 

Hamburgler, indeed...

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Comparing video games to burgers is literally like comparing video games to burgers.

IE: nothing in common.

Well,I mean,McDonald's has their shit together. They are AAA! Think smaller indie burger shop. Much smaller team...

On 7/31/2017 at 0:37 PM, lHeartBreakerl said:

Well I get that game discs are round like burgers, but outside of that....

Agree to disagree?

4 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

You got me :lol: but this game has no psychical copies (discs) ;)

Agree to disagree.

I'm leaving my "like" out of principal, but it shouldn't automatically stick to a post after it has been edited.

1 minute ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I'm leaving my "like" out of principal, but it shouldn't automatically stick to a post after it has been edited.

Plenty of mechanics here on the forums should be re worked. Specifically the 10 likes a day rule.

Can't think of a single member here who thinks it's a good idea.

malloymk likes this

1 minute ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Plenty of mechanics here on the forums should be re worked. Specifically the 10 likes a day rule.

Can't think of a single member here who thinks it's a good idea.

If "likes" are a currency in a forum, there should be some sort of limit.

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Plenty of mechanics here on the forums should be re worked.

Don't you mean specifically the fact that they are closed to new users?

:P

But that's a different thread...

lHeartBreakerl likes this

2 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

If "likes" are a currency in a forum, there should be some sort of limit.

I guess they are kind of a form of currency. But really, should they be?

malloymk likes this

Just now, lHeartBreakerl said:

I guess they are kind of a form of currency. But really, should they be?

If they weren't, then your +1,392 and my +62 would mean nothing

(readers of the future, these numbers may have changed by your time. also, did you guys ever get real hoverboards?)

Just now, NthnButAGoodTime said:

If they weren't, then your +1,392 and my +62 would mean nothing

(readers of the future, these numbers may have changed by your time. also, did you guys ever get real hoverboards?)

Was going to like this but I guess i'm already out <_<

6 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Was going to like this but I guess i'm already out <_<

I'm getting that a lot, today 

On 7/24/2017 at 2:34 AM, Brigadius said:

giphy.gif

@bewareofbears

This is actually how a lot of companies work even the AAA ones. 

Blizzard for instance doesn't have one team that works on everything. They have a team that works on their RTS games and a team that works on WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo, etc. Activision is the same way. No company has one team and only works on one game at a time unless they are very indie like the The Indie Stone for instance. Illfonic has been around long enough to have grown some though even if their previous efforts haven't been the greatest.

This guy makes a lot of accusations and assumptions :/. Course, he made another video without any information about the banning issue that occurred early. He's very, very wrong on who's doing what and what responsibility was handled by what company and it says a lot that he in no way done due diligence on research other than anecdotal commentary from third party users....this is just flat out wrong and it's a damn shame that he's under the assumption his commentary is right. Wish he'd tried to do more research rather than make this video, but it's something we've seen from quite a few channels that would rather get a video out rather than request information. 

Unfortunate that the perception seems to be skewed, but Friday the 13th: The Game is a partnership between Gun Media and IllFonic. Gun serves as the publisher and creative while IllFonic serves as our development hand that works on code/programming/engineering, etc. Gun Media came up with the game, Gun Media contacted and worked with the guys at IllFonic and we've been part of this entire experience since the beginning. 

You can be damn sure we're working on more content. I'm actually in a playtest right now for said content, but hey....