Michael Myers

Summer Camp to F13

37 posts in this topic

I know the game is a conversion from their original idea Summer Camp. But why exactly did you decide to change the game mid way into it? Wouldn't it have made more sense to finish the game you had going. Cause you jumped into to doing Friday The 13th earlier than you should of. The team obviously knew they didn't have said budget to do so. So why couldn't you wait to do a properly budgeted Friday The 13th game? Summer Camp could of been the online only game you wanted to do. While testing the water to see if a game like that would even sell well. Cause from everyone I've talked to about at various game stores(None of which are GameStop) don't think well of it. A majority of the people think it'll end up like Evolve. Personally I just don't understand why the team couldn't wait to do a properly budgeted game. That way we wouldn't even need this stretch goal stuff really. A game where they could of budgeted for both a single player mode and online. Not to mention all the kills,weapons and maps.

Was there ever a kickstarter for Summer Camp originally ?  I would have still spent my hard earned cash  to get it . I know there are those that are frustrated with possibly not getting single player but I personally think we still have a shot at it after the other things the team has planned.  It jumped pretty good after the release of the short game footage and I think once there are some footage of kills and substantial game footage it will start rising like in the beginning. I'll be happy either way and can't wait to play.

People that work at GameStop always act like a game they never heard of sucks! And they were offered the license I don't think they would have taken the license and been like oh thanks for giving us a free license we will hold onto that and finish summer camp and hopefully make f13 unless someone else stepped in and did it first! The game already sounds amazing looks amazing with that latest gameplay teaser!

They changed it cause Sean cunningham said "if it makes your game better take the license, you can have it for free" that was pretty much his words when they met with him.

They changed it cause Sean cunningham said "if it makes your game better take the license, you can have it for free" that was pretty much his words when they met with him.

Yeah that's what I said ;)

People that work at GameStop always act like a game they never heard of sucks! And they were offered the license I don't think they would have taken the license and been like oh thanks for giving us a free license we will hold onto that and finish summer camp and hopefully make f13 unless someone else stepped in and did it first! The game already sounds amazing looks amazing with that latest gameplay teaser!

I never said I went to GameStop stores. I went to multiple independent shops that are way more in touch with gaming. Exactly how could anyone go and make another F13 game if Gun owns the license? Really waiting 6-7 months was gonna hurt that much? It's not just about single player I'm talking about. It's the whole game in general. Had they waited to do it properly with a well thought out budget for it. We wouldn't even be here talking about this. Yeah I know the F13 license attracts more people. But their going at this entirely the wrong way. With the way their doing this it hurts the customer base their marketing to. You keep saying oh what's scarier then playing with another person. Playing with bots that act the same way. At least with that you won't have any annoyances in your mic screaming at you or quitting abruptly. You can make the argument of how online is "so damn good" but is it really? What exactly can a player do that a bot can't be programmed to do? Not a damn thing other than talk to you through a mic huh. Even then they could do that with a bot too through voice actors. There's nothing that you can do online that you can't also do in a single player. But that's not the point of this topic. The point is that had they waited to do this game properly. They could of had everything we wanted in this game without the kickstarter or slasher backer. Just like their doing now they could of used Summer Camp as a base for everything with a fresh new budget(Not the one were currently funding). With the current game that's being offered. There's little to no chance we'll see a second one made.

Summer camp I believe was their vision of Friday The 13th to begin with so that's how they wanted the game to be then given the License only opened the door fully in a good way! So they are making the game the correct way the way they vision and want it!

Online players can never be mimicked with bots because a real person is unpredictable so Everytime we play it's going to change our experience! And I believe Gun is working on the voice chat system so we can communicate but not have annoying people yelling and acting like jackasses I hope!

Well, the thing is we are doing this properly. We told everyone from the get-go that the launch of this game was going to happen and it was going to be done to our design brief. The Kickstarter and access to Friday the 13th has helped us expand the game to give it more polish and a better overall experience. We're talking about a heck of a gameplay experience now that we've successfully funded. 

'Proper' in the sense that you are asking seems to be including every single stretch goal we've added. To be fair, yeah...adding all of those would indeed make the game huge/awesomer/bigger. We totally want to get everything in, and we're going to do what we can (trust me on that, we're hard at work here), but single player was never part of the original design, and while we have a very, very cool single player portion planned, we guarantee you that this game has been properly thought out, will include a lot of awesome content and play in a way completely differently than other titles. Comparing this game to Evolve is about the same as comparing ARMA III with Call of Duty; teams of military guys shooting one another in first person.

You're going to like what you see as we continue to roll out more visuals, more gameplay and more info. We're still hard at work, and things are just now starting to plug in, but its all looking and playing great, thus far!

Davidt and Survival like this

Believe we've definitely answered questions on why we're doing what we're doing...but if you aren't satisfied, not entirely sure what else to say. 

Sorry :/. I mean, I do see your posts on the forums here, and it doesn't seem that anything any of us say to you are good enough...and I don't entirely understand the antagonism at this point, other than a whole mess of assumptions on your part as to what this game is, what it's going to be and what we're doing as a team to make it a pretty sweet game to play. 

Not much I can do about that at this point, will just have to show you when we start to demonstrate gameplay and go more in-depth. 

Super Ty, Davidt and Survival like this

Michael, I am beyond confused. You say it is not about single player yet you talk about what bots can and can't do. Infact all your points seem to point towards single player.

This has said probably a thousand times but I will say it again. This is a crowd funded project. The burdens of a crowd funded project is that the crowd funds it. However Gun Media is also funding it so it's not like it's solely on anyone.

Your definition of a proper game is probably different than others. What were your expectations?

As Ben has already said since day one the game has been advertised as it is. Just because it does not fit your definition of a "proper game" does not make it as such. A side question do you write every game company about how you want the games made? I think I know the answer.

There are high expectations for this game and Gun will deliver. You feel because the game was an adaptation of summer camp that it was "rushed" and not done "right". Well you are allowed to feel how you feel but does not make it true. Sean Cunningham reached out because he liked the premise of the game they were making. You do not need to scrap all the work for a game you were working on which already was tip toeing around F13 just because you got awarded a license. Throwing money out the window is a horrible business practice.

In closing feel how you must but just because you disagree with something it does not mean you need to be negative or disrespectful to anyone.

Davidt, TWarner and Survival like this

And Michael the people at these game stores you mentioned probably heard A quick description of the game and compared it to evolve! If only they sat and got into all the details / footage and read about the game I'm sure they would think differently!

and honestly I have a feeling this game will sell really good I mean so far the guys at Gun Media have been super open and transparent with the public and fans with the entire process in making the game, which I myself have never heard of, it seems to be grabbing a shitload of attention and new fans Everytime I turn my head! As long as they are confident in their game and create something new and different it's going to get people interested!

No you didn't answer my questions. You simply side stepped them by giving a generic answer "You" thought that answered me. I didn't compare this to Evolve. I said from the people I talked to think it'll share the same fate(As in it'll die a quick death. No pun intended.). The only reason I even brought up the single player was because I know you'd bring it up. As I said before though bots can be programmed to be just as "unpredictable" as a human player. I know most of you are gonna defend the idea of how a human player can be "unpredictable". Honestly how unpredictable can a human player be? You got three options play as team,screw over the team or just be idiot and ruin the game for everyone. Seems pretty predictable sounding to me.

You never gave me a clear cut answer why you couldn't wait to deliver the game you had planned with all the goals and stuff you wanted. Cause wouldn't it of made sense to release Summer Camp first? Cause now you're a taking a huge gamble with the way the game is currently. Had you just finished Summer Camp you would of been able to see if this kind of game would even sell well as a multiplayer online only. Cause what happens if this game doesn't sell like you hope? There goes any opportunity of getting a sequel made if it doesn't.

There's so many reasons Why I wouldn't do what you are saying as far as releasing summer camp first but I'm not Gun media so I'll let Ben answer this!

It's all about $ when it comes down to it.  Games are expensive to make and take away the fact that they got the license given to them. They didn't have the funding even with the license so there comes Kickstarter and our way to contribute to an excellent game.  If they had the funding to begin with then we would be getting everything that has been mentioned. I guess I don't understand why your getting upset as there is way too much that is in the future for this game..The unknown.  We don't need a sequel with DLC and add ons.  I would find it hard to believe that they would throw out a piece of shit game after all of this hype. They said they will do the franchise justice and the right way and I believe them ! Just relax and wait for what's next.

Body Boy likes this

Release Summer Camp first? What!? Considering both Summer Camp and Friday the 13th: The Game appear to have/have had the same gaming mechanics, releasing both would likely destroy the sales of both. It's not that they're both about third person horror; they would be the exact same game. Some of the group would go to SC, the other to F13. Player base would split, there's little point to that. When someone hands you the license to make an F13 game, you do not prolong the deal. You take it, because who knows if there will be another shot? This is ridiculous.

Czorny likes this

Release Summer Camp first? What!? Considering both Summer Camp and Friday the 13th: The Game appear to have/have had the same gaming mechanics, releasing both would likely destroy the sales of both. It's not that they're both about third person horror; they would be the exact same game. Some of the group would go to SC, the other to F13. Player base would split, there's little point to that. When someone hands you the license to make an F13 game, you do not prolong the deal. You take it, because who knows if there will be another shot? This is ridiculous.

Yeehaa I agree with this 120% you nailed it on the bud!

Omg we're still getting info about game how can you judge something you haven't seen yet. I for one appreciate how open and up front this team is they could have easily said yea this game is gonna have everything you could hope for in it (like so many other developers) just to get sells then at launch backstep after they got your money "well guys sorry couldn't pull all that off" we're getting 100% what was marketed/pitched anything else is icing on the cake. Do i want all the stretch goals HELL yeah but can't hate if something don't show up I still got what I paid for. To the Dev team do y'all thang haters gonna hate and players gonna play.....now if you can slide me a beta code #LetRonPlay

10ofSwords and Super Ty like this

This is a really old topic but I did a search and I guess this is where I'll ask this.  So who was going to be the killer in Summer Camp before it became F13?  Where there any pre production sketches or pictures?  Was just curious because my friend asked me about who was supposed to be the killer in the game before Jason was brought in and I have no idea. Did it even make it that far before they got the F13 rights?

14 minutes ago, Gdain said:

This is a really old topic but I did a search and I guess this is where I'll ask this.  So who was going to be the killer in Summer Camp before it became F13?  Where there any pre production sketches or pictures?  Was just curious because my friend asked me about who was supposed to be the killer in the game before Jason was brought in and I have no idea. Did it even make it that far before they got the F13 rights?

The original Summer Camp killer was "Mason Doorhees" 😂 His Mother drowned in the lake when he was a kid, and he decided to enact a terrible vengeance on the Summer Camp. Only one man can stop him...one, "Bobby Jarvis"! 😂 

6 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

The original Summer Camp killer was "Mason Doorhees" 😂 His Mother drowned in the lake when he was a kid, and he decided to enact a terrible vengeance on the Summer Camp. Only one man can stop him...one, "Bobby Jarvis"! 😂 

Omg 😂 please no. No no no. 

I kinda love how OP got the answers to his questions repeatedly from multiple people but kept insisting he wasn't getting answers simply because he wasn't getting the answers he wanted. 

It'd be like asking me why I find a specific person attractive because they think they're ugly, and no matter what reason I give, they will insist I am not answering their question solely because the answer they want is for me to agree with them that said person is ugly. That's essentially this topic. 

I think it would have been better to make a new topic with your question than revive this one for it. But anyway.

Survival likes this

To be serious (for once 😂) I think they've inferred before that they won't release any information on the original Summer Camp game. Been following the project since it was only a few hundred of us on the Summer Camp Facebook page and don't remember any details to this day. 

Gdain likes this

30 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

I kinda love how OP got the answers to his questions repeatedly from multiple people but kept insisting he wasn't getting answers simply because he wasn't getting the answers he wanted. 

It'd be like asking me why I find a specific person attractive because they think they're ugly, and no matter what reason I give, they will insist I am not answering their question solely because the answer they want is for me to agree with them that said person is ugly. That's essentially this topic. 

I think it would have been better to make a new topic with your question than revive this one for it. But anyway.

OP?  Idk I figured Summer Camp to F13 seemed like the right thread.