Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyKapow

Finally started playing Fallout 4

26 posts in this topic

I have been a fan of the Fallout series since the original was released in 1997. I adored that game. Like, WAY too much.

Then the sequel came out, and although it was buggy as hell before the patches, it was even better than the first! Couldn't believe it. Probably my most played game for the next few years after it was on the market. Just kept going back to it. 

Fallout 3...by Bethesda. When I first heard the news I was a little standoffish. So I followed its development closely. I figured that I would buy it day of release. It was a mixed bag. It looked pretty, but it was actually quite shallow compared to the first two games in the series. It had its moments, and if those moments could be made into an entire game it would be excellent. I enjoyed it a lot more once some cool mods came out and made the game more realistic and gritty, upping weapon damage and making scavenging for the good stuff much more difficult. 

Fallout: New Vegas was more in line with the desert wasteland that was so cherished by me. Darker and more intense that Fallout 3, New Vegas really brought me back to the roots of Fallout. Still not perfect, but far better than Fallout 3.

Now I'm into Fallout 4. I absolutely HATE the settlement system. The only one I have built so far is the one that you HAVE to for the story...the Sanctuary settlement. I find building settlements totally destroys the pacing of the game. This isn't Minecraft with a healthy dose of the show Home Improvement...this is Fallout.

I also barely use the crafting system. I am playing this like the first two games - I scavenge what I need from the wasteland. The wasteland provides.

So far I don't mind it too much. Being able to skip the settlement stuff really streamlines things and keeps the story on track. 

What is weird though is that your companions cannot be killed. They can be wounded but they can't die. Sort of takes the risk/reward thrills and pees all over them. 

I'm also playing Fallout 2 at the same time for a direct comparison. It's interesting, but I don't think they'll ever top that game.

And if anyone who reads this is a Fallout fan and wants more post apocalyptic adventures, check out the game Wasteland 2. It's funny because the original Wasteland inspired Tim Cain to make Fallout 1, and he was the driving force behind Wasteland 2, and it shows. WL2 is total quality and a great RPG. It's not a pretty/shallow Bethesda adventure. It's got deep party building and customization options.

To compare all the games in a fairly crude and dumb way...

The Bethesda Fallout games are like a super pretty girl who is totally vapid. Her looks attract you at first but once you get past those there isn't a lot keeping you around. She only likes romantic comedies, and she only listens to top 40 radio. 

Fallout 1&2 and Wasteland 2 are like the girl who isn't super pretty but she's fun and funny, smart, very cool, has great taste in movies and music, and totally gets all of your pop culture references. 

Not that Fallout 2 needs a graphical upgrade (to me anyway), but the ultimate RPG for me would be a remake of Fallout 2 with the Fallout 4 graphics engine.

And i have nothing against people who love the Bethesda Fallout games. I know lots of people who are big fans of those, but coincidentally they have not played the originals. I also know some people that don't wanna play the originals simply because of the graphics. Their loss. 

1 person likes this

I never played the originals, never been a PC gamer. Have watched Let's Plays of F1 and F2, though, through to the end, but never actually played them myself.

Love the Bethesda ones to bits. Gets a bit depressing at times to hear how much hate they get from some corners, like some people absolutely roast them and paint them as straight up trash. Me, I put literally 1500 hours combined into Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 so, well, that vapid girl sure held my attention :) It's weird how much fun it is to simply scavenge and shuffle about your inventory, let alone the fighting...that atmosphere is absolutely the key to the whole appeal, for me.

Graphics are never the be-all and end-all of things. I've been gaming enough and seen enough changes over 30 years to see that. Core gameplay, that's always going to make you come back time and again. I have heard good things about Wasteland 2, just never got round to it (like several games, unfortunately). I should put that on my list.

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout (don't hit me). I had a PS2 pretty late and I completely missed PS3 and Xbox 360, that whole era. Only got back into video games in 2013 so I missed a lot. I've heard good things about the old Fallout games though. 

That being said, I've played the hell out of Fallout 4 and enjoyed it quite immensely. I love the atmosphere and the music, the graphics, the whole world. It feels really alive especially when random weird shit starts happening. I love the power armor and all the crazy weapons, the VATS system, the bizarre creatures, and the general gameplay. It's fun as hell.

It does have quite a few drawbacks though. I gave the settlement building a try but found it way too cumbersome and time consuming. The crafting seems pretty deep but I think it's too complex at times. I like the Perks system but it takes forever to level up. So, it has its pros and cons obviously.

Some of the story lines are interesting and entertaining however the main story is kind of disappointing. It just doesn't deliver. There are some great ideas there but not properly fleshed out. And when it ends you're like...that's it? But like I said the atmosphere and gameplay keep me coming back. 

I've put in at least 160 hours or so and there's still so much to see and do that it's kind of overwhelming. The whole scope of open world games has started to turn me off because they never end. At some point it becomes too time consuming especially when there's so many other games to play.

I have every achievement for FALLOUT 3 and FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS, and I started playing FALLOUT 4 a couple of months ago, but had to pause in order to play FRIDAY THE 13TH for the last month.

I was so excited for FRIDAY THE 13TH, though, that I went around to my settlements and started making Jason lights :p.

04d16d42-87c1-4131-bd55-72e32d313be9.PNGhAKUOjn6xgEpTck0JReCzHqfoOWfK4=2c4cb171-76ab-443a-a69f-0eaa75da4c74.PNGkfNFAdDY=

2 people like this

Holy crap! That's awesome! I really need to mess around with the settlement building more. I forgot you could do cool stuff like this. I have a hard time understanding it though. :(

1 person likes this

I never got into the whole settlement mechanic enough, on the creative side of things. I've seem some really amazing things done by other people, though, and I like Jason up there in lights. 'The Museum of Doom', eh? :)

(and hey, another 100% achievement obsessive like me :P )

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, VideodromeStereo said:

Holy crap! That's awesome! I really need to mess around with the settlement building more. I forgot you could do cool stuff like this. I have a hard time understanding it though. :(

It was a real process for me to figure things out, and I did so fairly slowly and bit by bit.

Youtube videos are your friend :).

3 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

I never got into the whole settlement mechanic enough, on the creative side of things. I've seem some really amazing things done by other people, though, and I like Jason up there in lights. 'The Museum of Doom', eh? :)

(and hey, another 100% achievement obsessive like me :P )

Yeah, the Museum of DooM is where I display all of my unique weapons and armor that I don't equip. I'm a little OCD that way.

And I have been really, really OCD about achievements, but I think that the ARKHAM games may have finally cured me of that. Having to flawlessly fight Deathstroke in ARKHAM ORIGINS, and some of the insane simulator achievements in ARKHAM CITY, finally broke me as I came to the revelation that I just wasn't having fun anymore, and it was starting to feel more like work than pleasure.

Yeah. Sometimes, you've just gotta say, hey, I'm not so fussed.

I have 99% achievements on Assassin's Creed Unity, the one missing only available through co-op online. Don't have any friends playing, so didn't bother, 99% it stays.

Building my Part V mask light right now.

Anyone playing this, do yourself a favor and don't ever stop playing for a month. Getting back into the swing of things and trying to remember what was going on at each settlement and what quests I was in the middle of... ugh. It's a real pain in the arse.

EDIT: Finally finished. Here it is:

5ZXREaD87ykrPOg=

1 person likes this

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ0kJDVkmZx

Here's my Castle of Cthulhu.

1 person likes this

Looking welcoming. Just needs a couple missile launcher turrets in the 'eyes' :P

1 person likes this

I'd swear that this place doesn't give me 10 likes per day...

I am embarking upon my Part VII light (which has a more complicated design requiring 5 different colors that I am... a little trepidatious of).

EDITED TO ADD: And here it is:

eqs=

1 person likes this

I need a lot more time with this game yet, and want to get round to Assassin's Creed Syndicate finally, but before some big games come out in the winter this does make me feel like having one more stroll around in Fallout 4 this year.

Last time I played, my character literally was able to kill an Alpha Deathclaw in the Glowing Sea...with a walking stick...wearing nothing at all barring the boxer shorts.

That kinda told me "Damon, you're over-levelled." :P

1 person likes this

Alrighty, so here's the layout of a typical settlement for me (this is gonna be picture happy, my apologies for those of you with a bad connection)...

First, a typical exterior. Four floors, with an open roof top floor for the mortar guns:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ_nNga_II9

Then this is the first floor, where everyone sleeps. It has a kitchen and two bathrooms:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQw9_i0LZ.j

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ.OjfacSju

Next is the second floor. Here I put two clothes stores, two general stores, the clinic, a barber chair and a surgery chair:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQzJTeHqaZh

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQw9_i0LZ.j

Then the third floor, which is just six bars:

On top is the fourth floor/roof, where I have all my power generators, radio towers and mortars:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ0FE2WIKNO

And, here are some of the extra stuffs...

I try to build a kitty cabin on all my settlements for all my cats to live in:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ.OjfacSju

And if a settlement will allow me to build higher than 4 floors, sometimes I will turn one floor into a JIGSAW style death trap where I keep stores of gold and silver:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ0FE2WIKNO

Finally, in case you were wondering how complicated wiring up one of those Jason lights is, here's the back of the Roy one:

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQxuog32Mg5

I also make exterior shower and farming areas, but I forgot to screengrab those, apparently.

See, this is why it'd be great to be able to drop into another person's game and go wander around.

Maybe a future Fallout might offer such a thing. Even 'just' having a second person would be great.

Don't think I have any glamour shots of my own Fallout 4 world, but if I can think of anything cool maybe I'll get snaps.

Wow, haven't used any mods in this game yet and quit playuing before the dlcs hit.  Looks like so much has changed. 

I won't life, I hated the settlement and crafting at first. As I worked with it, I couldn't help but just build for a few days. I kept running out of room in some places so I quit. Sometimes, so much is going on at once that it can be quite daunting.

Fallout 3 was always my favorite. I liked the direction Bethesda took it in. Then again they are one of may favorite game companies. So many Easter eggs in those games. Great humor. 

Settlement building is super daunting at first. YouTube videos are your friend.

Finished a Part VI light at Egret, and am working on my Savini Jason light at Finch Farm. Will post pics when I'm done...

Here they are:

PART VI

SAVINI JASON

image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQxuog32Mg5

Here are my latest creations - JASON GOES TO HELL and UBER JASON lights:

e25cb22a-d942-4651-9744-e27162c41552.PNG

ccc4d047-d949-4ba5-96bc-19886b79cadd.PNG

1 person likes this

Fallout 4 was a letdown to me because they focused entirely too much effort on crafting and settlement building. A lot of that effort could have been used towards other things. Like a more fleshed out story with what felt like actual consequences.

The next one, I'd actually like them to go with as little backstory as possible for your character.

You can still make a great story with what they encounter and do, but it feels like the find your father / find who shot you / find your baby stuff ties you down somewhat from a truly open-ended experience.

In a game where the vast amount of time you spend is wandering round exploring and scavenging, rather than really feeling that rush to solve the mystery.

Don't even need to be a Vault guy, not again. Just someone already out there, in a small settlement, maybe no parents, deciding to leave. Keep it simple, so each player has as much of a blank slate as possible to create their character.

2 people like this

I currently own and have played EVERY Fallout game. The originals were amazing. I even like Fallout Tactics, which the few people I know that have played it, do not. In any case I have about 400 hours into Fallout 4, and about 200 hours of that is settlement building. My wife always gives me crap when she sees my building a new settlement. And as much as it pains me to say it, I deserve it. Settlement building was like heroin to me for a while. Glad I kicked the habit.

1 person likes this

Some of them just really have character and make you want to build things there. Like the one in the swampland, or the lighthouse. The setting can inspire.

I tried playing a bit of Fallout 4 about two weeks ago as a new character, messed around for an hour or two then put it down again. Probably a mixture of focused on other games at the moment and perhaps just burnt out from how many hours I put into it. I guess about 530 hours played means you've kinda seen and done it all, eh? :P
Not saying I won't go back, but at least I can say not now.

There's actually a Jason mod were you can cosplay as Part 3 Jason, Roy burns, Part 7 (Zombie Machete Jason) And Mortal Kombat Jason. Fallout 4 is my second favorite game, behind Friday, Just be prepared... because alot of settlements will need your help.

Something I really enjoyed a lot about Fallout 4, was the HP Lovecraft references. The Pickman Model was one of my favorite of his stories so it being referenced in the game was awesome to me.

18 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Something I really enjoyed a lot about Fallout 4, was the HP Lovecraft references. The Pickman Model was one of my favorite of his stories so it being referenced in the game was awesome to me.

There are other locations in the game that reference Lovecraftian lore as well in the game. Also at least a couple in Fallout 3 and I think in New Vegas as well.