MrChargez

Freddy vs Jason (Jason Skin)

12 posts in this topic

Do you think you can get and add the Jason skin from Freddy vs Jason. I would love to see that

1 hour ago, slyratt said:

There will be none they don't own the rights to that movie.

I'm pretty sure they don't own any of the rights to Friday The 13th. Paramount and New Line do and if they have been able to include Jason from 2,3,6,7,8,9... I don't see why that Jason would be an issue. 

Speculating of course as I have no idea what kind of agreement the studio made with Paramount and New Line.

The rights to Jason from Part II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, JGTH and JX are all with Cunningham and his investors.

Those are the people that Gun Media works with.

The rights to FvsJ and the 2009 FRIDAY THE 13TH are tied up with other companies.

bewareofbears likes this

7 minutes ago, DarthFLEX said:

I'm pretty sure they don't own any of the rights to Friday The 13th. Paramount and New Line do and if they have been able to include Jason from 2,3,6,7,8,9... I don't see why that Jason would be an issue. 

Speculating of course as I have no idea what kind of agreement the studio made with Paramount and New Line.

Different people own the rights to different things. It's the same reason why Sony has the movie rights to Spider Man but 20th century Fox has the rights to the X-men, while Marvel studios has the rights to the various Avengers characters, and a hell of a lot of jockeying had to happen for Marvel Studios to get access to SPiderman.

The owners of the 1-9 movies were involved with the game creation, yes, but they didn't make FvJ and the 2009 remake. Wes has said point blank on Slash 'n Cast that they do not have access to the 2009 remake rights, period; another studio currently has the rights to that movie.

In fact, here's the exact quote: "We can't get the reboot, like we know that for a fact, that was taken off the table. So that'll never happen in the game. At least is what we were told." He says it could change, but Gun Media was not working with Paramount when they made the game.

8 minutes ago, HodderFodder said:

Different people own the rights to different things. It's the same reason why Sony has the movie rights to Spider Man but 20th century Fox has the rights to the X-men, while Marvel studios has the rights to the various Avengers characters, and a hell of a lot of jockeying had to happen for Marvel Studios to get access to SPiderman.

The owners of the 1-9 movies were involved with the game creation, yes, but they didn't make FvJ and the 2009 remake. Wes has said point blank on Slash 'n Cast that they do not have access to the 2009 remake rights, period; another studio currently has the rights to that movie.

In fact, here's the exact quote: "We can't get the reboot, like we know that for a fact, that was taken off the table. So that'll never happen in the game. At least is what we were told." He says it could change, but Gun Media was not working with Paramount when they made the game.

Up until Part 9, it was Paramount and then the rights were sold to New Line (where they currently reside). So which studio was Gun Media working with to use Jason from 2-9 if not Paramount? New Line, right? New Line owns Friday The 13th 2009. I don't doubt your source but, it is confusing and also interesting how rights work. Hoping someone can shed more light on the matter.

6 minutes ago, DarthFLEX said:

Up until Part 9, it was Paramount and then the rights were sold to New Line (where they currently reside). So which studio was Gun Media working with to use Jason from 2-9 if not Paramount? New Line, right? New Line owns Friday The 13th 2009. I don't doubt your source but, it is confusing and also interesting how rights work. Hoping someone can shed more light on the matter.

As he said the rights belong to Cunningham and the Investors, not the Company. While the other Movie rights belong to other People, or the Company. Just google Sean S. Cunningham.

But is it possible for the developers in the future to negotiate and maybe pay for the right to put FvJ Jason in the game? Even if the owners say 'no' can they at least try? Or is it a complete 'no' to where they can't even ask?

25 minutes ago, eznxm said:

But is it possible for the developers in the future to negotiate and maybe pay for the right to put FvJ Jason in the game? Even if the owners say 'no' can they at least try? Or is it a complete 'no' to where they can't even ask?

If I remember right, they said something along the lines of it only being a possibility dependent on the success of the game. It's possible, just not probable.

No reason though why we couldn't get a unique and artistic skin or full on Jason that is inspired by a made up Freddy v Jason scenario without it actually being pulled from the FvJ movie. Look at Mortal Kombat. One of Jason's alternate skins was a recolor making it look like Jason was wearing Freddy's sweater. Silly, but a nod nonetheless. Or we could have a Springfield map with Robert England's voice in Jason's head telling him to kill people without it being a direct rip from the movies... or comics. Doesn't somebody own the rights to both franchises now? No reason Gun couldn't be given permission to create a what-if scenario that is original to the game and not movie related, right? I mean, look at Savini Jason. An artist's concept of Jason back from hell, inspired by but not directly pulled from a movies. I'm sure creative minds could come up with something fantastic that caters to the fans desires for this kind of content. I mean, somebody owns the rights to the Happy Birthday song but that doesn't stop people getting around that by writing and singing new songs that celebrate birthdays.

See, who isn't inspired by this? FvJ. The "V"stands for "versus" right?

large_Comics_GOREgeousLadies_Color_01.jp

I think this is where the rights are now...

Cunningham (through his company Manny Productions) owns the core concept/franchise.

Georgetown (Scuderi and the other investors) owned creative control over the early films, as the financiers/production company, and that has since been transferred to Horror Inc.

WB had international distribution rights since the 80s.

Paramount owned domestic distribution rights and copyrights from 1980 (since they purchased the original FRIDAY THE 13th as a negative pickup for 1.5 million after a bidding war with other studios), purchasing each film after outright as negative pickups all the way through part VIII. They retained distribution rights to some time in the early 90s, when New Line (a subsidiary of WB) and Horror Inc. (Scuderi and company) bought the distribution rights from Paramount.

New Line owns from JASON GOES TO HELL onward, but I believe Paramount retained copyright on the title "FRIDAY THE 13th" and copyrights on some of the earlier films, which is how they licensed those out to Platinum Dunes for the 2009 remake.

Platinum Dunes owns the 2009 remake.

Paramount got all its rights back as part of a deal with WB a few years back, but that expires next year when rights will revert back to WB/New Line.

FREDDY vs. JASON is owned by Manny/Horror Inc./New Line, but royalty streams would be different, because of Freddy Krueger and the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET franchise. So even if you used only Jason from that film, you would owe a licensing fee to rights holders there, like the estate of Wes Craven, so that Jason would require its own, separate contract, and be more expensive, and see less of a return on profit.

Right? Am I missing anything?

No idea why this wasn't locked already...but definitely locking a topic that has come through more times than I can count.