CrazyRalph

Dead by Daylight Discussion Topic

136 posts in this topic

What's the replayability of Dead by Daylight like?

I know with Friday the 13th I'll be occupied unlocking Jasons and trying them out but I wonder if there's enough variance in the actual gameplay to sustain a prolonged interest for folks who are simply gamers and not really into Friday the 13th.

I notice in Dead by Daylight they're throwing out new perks and skins fairly often, does that help prevent the gameplay from getting stale? If not, what does? Or has it become stale already?

I know with Friday the 13th I'll be occupied unlocking Jasons and trying them out but I wonder if there's enough variance in the actual gameplay to sustain a prolonged interest for folks who are simply gamers and not really into Friday the 13th.

I notice in Dead by Daylight they're throwing out new perks and skins fairly often, does that help prevent the gameplay from getting stale? If not, what does? Or has it become stale already?

I dunno what it's like now, but when I played it, yes it was admittingly addicting to get the next perk and such.  It was addicting enough for me to look past the flaws it had and try and have fun.

That was until I realized that the addicting part was based on Gambling really.  Everything you unlocked was a gamble, just varies in rarity.  And gambling is naturally addictive.

After I raged for the last time (this was when Survive With Friends was on Multiplayer as well, and it broke the balance drastically because the game wasn't balanced for that type of communication, in fact just a couple patches before they were trying to prevent people from using communication systems in-game) I started to realize that the perks were completely unfair.  And it's not just because the matchmaking was shit.

It was because each perk had a counter to it, but the meta is so overplayed that you typically know exactly what people will choose.  not to mention that you'll never know what perks your opponents have equipped.  This was especially frustrating for Killer because you had to cross your fingers and hope that your four perk slots could counter reasonably all 16 in total perks that the survivors has as a group.

Lemme explain how this is bullshit:

- I had Insidious.  It allows me to be undetectable while I am standing still.

- I was standing right beside a survivor on a hook trying to bait someone.

- Well, first of all, if they have voice coms, there's no use in that strategy, that breaks the game right there.

- But they can equip a perk which tells you that the killer is somewhere over where you're looking if you look at the killer's direction.

- Okay, fair enough, but there's no trade offs or downside to the perk AND you won't know if the survivors have said perks AND the perks you get are completely random AND they can range in various levels of "rarity" which is basically more powerful versions of the last perk.

It's a dice roll.  And the game is also trying to be competitive.  But that takes all of the silly fun out of it.  That's why I went with Friday The 13th.

And I worked in seventy hours in that game.  It wasn't like I wasn't enjoying myself.  But after each patch I found myself enjoying it less and less.  And the community grew more toxic.  I found that the time I was spending in the game and the enjoyment I was receiving thereof was not balanced.  So I uninstalled.

That may sound nice but it's made the game more frustrating to try and play than enjoyable. Right now the game is very heavily slanted in favor of survivors. There are some tweaks that will offset that a little, but as it stands right now, survivors trump the killers, so that means if you play survivor and get caught, you're probably going to get face-camped, though they are also working on ways to take that away from the killer as an option too.

The thing about DBD is this, unlike F13, the survivors can all unlock each other's traits with enough points. So after a while there isn't really one better than the other as they can all have a mesh of each other's selectable traits. 

I mean give it a try if ya want, you might like it. But I won't recommend it in it's current state. But that's just my opinion, and those tend to vary.

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely got the impression the perks were throwing off the balance. I'm not big on the idea of a survival game being competitive. I'm considering grabbing it when it hits consoles but the gameplay seems really one dimensional.

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely got the impression the perks were throwing off the balance. I'm not big on the idea of a survival game being competitive. I'm considering grabbing it when it hits consoles but the gameplay seems really one dimensional.

oohohohoh i'm so glad you mentioned balance because i have a good analogy to it.

Imagine a table. imagine the table has a single leg that's a bit shorter than the rest, so it starts to rock just a little bit. You can still have stuff on top of the table, but it's a personal pet peeve of yours to see that rocking happen everytime.

So you decide to fix it, but you're not a carpenter or otherwise just don't trust yourself to do it properly. So you find some old magazine to put underneath the shortened table leg in order to make it proper. You're satisfied with the result, and the table lives on.

That's BALANCE.

HERE'S DEAD BY DAYLIGHT BALANCING:

You take your hands, put them firmly underneath the table, and CHUCK THAT SHIT OUT THE WINDOW WHILE GOING "FINE FUCK YOU TOO I'LL GET ANOTHER ONE THATS BETTER YOU PIECE OF SHIT" screaming and listening to the glass just fucking shattering all over the place, leaving you more to clean up and your temporary tension relief is switched with the constant annoyance of having to clean up a mess you could have prevented in the first place if you could only think for a second.

I'll never not be mad about dead by daylight. Fuck.

ShankerOne likes this

So, Just when you thought they couldn't fuck up any more they mess up a mechanic that they COULD of fixed their game with. On top of this they seem hellbent on making Michael FUCKING Myers the weakest killer in their game....

They are going to implement a mechanic (Blood Rage) that makes the killer faster as he chases survivors. Basically it seems made to counter survivors doing looping behavior by giving Killers a speed boost the longer they chase.

I was totally on board with this idea, it sounds like it has potential!

Than they go ahead and crush everyone's dreams by making it so it DECAYS WHEN YOU BREAK A FUCKING PALLET.... So the anti looping Mechanic is countered by.... looping. (Slow Clap)

I saw today Dead by Daylight got a console release date: June 20th this year.

The price is set at $30.

I'm wondering if they're trying to steal some thunder from this game. $30 puts them $10 under the cost of F13 but F13 will release (probably?) before June 20th and have the advantage of being the first of the genre on consoles.

Pretty much the entire life of the game has been them trying to steal F13th's thunder! :P Arguably a bit of Last Year's, even.

I don't condemn them for it, but it is pretty blatant. So yeah, I think you're right about that.

9 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I saw today Dead by Daylight got a console release date: June 20th this year.

The price is set at $30.

I'm wondering if they're trying to steal some thunder from this game. $30 puts them $10 under the cost of F13 but F13 will release (probably?) before June 20th and have the advantage of being the first of the genre on consoles.

Considering how long it took F13 to get through console certification, (and that's for a good game!) I doubt DBD will make it by then, they can't get the game to run right on pc already, what makes Starbreeze think it will do any better on console?

4 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

Pretty much the entire life of the game has been them trying to steal F13th's thunder! :P Arguably a bit of Last Year's, even.

I don't condemn them for it, but it is pretty blatant. So yeah, I think you're right about that.

From what I gather, they have a new DLC/Killer they're teasing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to try and steal some F13 thunder. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint. All's fair, etc...

6 minutes ago, ItzToxiedaToxicAvenger said:

Considering how long it took F13 to get through console certification, (and that's for a good game!) I doubt DBD will make it by then, they can't get the game to run right on pc already, what makes Starbreeze think it will do any better on console?

I think they'll make, they won't be "polishing" like what was done on this game as everything is obviously ready. They also likely have some money to throw around now and that can't hurt.

For $30 I may try it. The problem I have is folks have such a big head start I'd likely show up just to get slaughtered or griefed.

43 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

From what I gather, they have a new DLC/Killer they're teasing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to try and steal some F13 thunder. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint. All's fair, etc...

I would be far more likely to spit my drink out while reading if they didn't. I think it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll make that announcement shortly after we get a release date.