CrazyRalph

Dead by Daylight Discussion Topic

136 posts in this topic

This is a player driven game...so...uh...if you feel brave enough to 'taunt' Jason (as many people in the movies do....), well, you know what happens. 

Or not. 

As it's a player-driven game through and through. 

I mean, I wouldn't want to see Jason constantly stumbling and bumbling around like an undead Mr. Bean or anything.

But human control offers that unpredictability and magic mix of genius and stupidity that can be very entertaining.

Jason trying to whack someone with an axe and accidentally falling off the top floor of a barn. Getting a door slammed right into his face while in hot pursuit. Mistakenly teleporting into the middle of a bear trap, walking into the path of a thrown object that was going to miss, or whatever.

It's stuff like that (not to mention and likely even much MORE so on the part of the counsellors) that can make for the best memories.

So a certain amount of agency to be able to plain old screw things up is not a bad thing and something that I'm sure will be funny when it happens in this game.

it may be a different concept. a different game. but lobby issues and everything else still applies. can still be a problem if not addressed. what if people get pissed or leave for any reason? trolls and what not...what if theres not enough people online for a full session at any given time? just things to worry about.

the not full/not enough require players thing really did make Tomb Raider inaccessible online (and especially MAG which had really strict player amount requirements before a match starts, some had to wait 30 minutes)  people wait for more players, more drop out when their impatience is over, which means more waiting.   This game probably doesn't have a.i. substitutes,  It could make matchmaking smoother if people could play under the maximum amount. 

I myself would always prefer a full game of 7 counselors and 1 Jason, but depending on the community activity, that might not always be the case 24/7, so it would help the matchmaking being flexible and being able to start, even if it's just 1v1.  

Also I think matchmaking should avoid a "ready" system because most players are too lazy to press a button to ready up.

the match should start after a certain period of time, whether some players are ready or not, whether the lobby is full or not.  :)

IronKnight55 likes this

This is a player driven game...so...uh...if you feel brave enough to 'taunt' Jason (as many people in the movies do....), well, you know what happens. 

Or not. 

As it's a player-driven game through and through.

It's really hard explaining the situations like these in games without seeing it.

Taunting the killer is all good and great, and can be funny as shit sometimes.

If you can manage to run the killer in circles fantastic. I'm sure some people can.

I know the game is going to be completely different than DBD.

All I can say is, DBD was not aware of how their set pieces would be used in-game.. and some survivors know how to exploit that very well.

Jumping back and forth around a bus, and just doing it over and over and over again while the killer literally has no way of touching the survivor in this moment. So the killer is left with the only option of leaving, going to get someone else, or leaving and coming back hoping the survivor 'maybe did something else' finally. lol.

I mean, I wouldn't want to see Jason constantly stumbling and bumbling around like an undead Mr. Bean or anything.

But human control offers that unpredictability and magic mix of genius and stupidity that can be very entertaining.

Jason trying to whack someone with an axe and accidentally falling off the top floor of a barn. Getting a door slammed right into his face while in hot pursuit. Mistakenly teleporting into the middle of a bear trap, walking into the path of a thrown object that was going to miss, or whatever.

It's stuff like that (not to mention and likely even much MORE so on the part of the counsellors) that can make for the best memories.

So a certain amount of agency to be able to plain old screw things up is not a bad thing and something that I'm sure will be funny when it happens in this game.

Those kind of moments are great. I'm more speaking about people exploiting stuff in the map and using it how it's not INTENDED to be used, abusing ways to keep themselves away from the killer. It could be that in DBD's case, that could have been their intention was to get Survivor's to exploit things tho.. kinda like in Dark Souls games, you can do the same thing.

It's really hard explaining the situations like these in games without seeing it.

Taunting the killer is all good and great, and can be funny as shit sometimes.

If you can manage to run the killer in circles fantastic. I'm sure some people can.

I know the game is going to be completely different than DBD.

All I can say is, DBD was not aware of how their set pieces would be used in-game.. and some survivors know how to exploit that very well.

Jumping back and forth around a bus, and just doing it over and over and over again while the killer literally has no way of touching the survivor in this moment. So the killer is left with the only option of leaving, going to get someone else, or leaving and coming back hoping the survivor 'maybe did something else' finally. lol.

Here is a good example. Let's say there was a bus type scenario player running circles around a bus. Jason morphs to the other side of the bus. Well shit nice try.while that mechanic was critique it will be instrumental in avoiding said scenario. There will be tools at your disposal on both sides how you're them will rely upon the player.

So to explain some stuff first...

The killer's job in DBD is to kill 4 Survivors. The survivors have to fix 5 generators that are procedurally generated in the map.

Well, the killer KILLED one survivor, and the other two disconnected, and so I was left all alone.

There is no VOICE CHAT in the game, so the killer just beat on stuff to communicate with me.

The fear mechanic and the overall "pro-stealth" as opposed to "pro-juke" gameplay as a counselor will stop this from happening in my opinion. The more you're taunting Jason, the more you see him, this means the more fearful your character gets, the more his stamina gets depleted, the more of a target he is via big red outline of him visible through walls, rocks, shrubbery, and mist.

Dead By Daylight allows the player to taunt the enemy because of it's wooden pallets and other windows and openings you can jaunt through which serve as the only way that a player can get away from a killer in direct-chase. From my knowledge, there's nothing like this in F13game. And, in DBD, it probably takes a while to get the precision and mastery with regards to map understanding and distance/speed in the game to be able to taunt the killer so. I feel the player who puts in that effort should be rewarded as such anyways. I mean, forgive me if I'm wrong for I've only seen gameplays and never played myself, but it isn't like everybody in DBD is running around doing this is it?

Also, as an aside, while I can understand the DBD comparisons I feel, just through watching the alpha gameplay and following the news on the game, that F13Game separates itself enough from it to be considered the "same type of game" for lack of a better word. To call it that, is to call Murder from GMod, Michael Myers in COD, or even plain old hide and seek the same games.

this, too.

The fear mechanic and the overall "pro-stealth" as opposed to "pro-juke" gameplay as a counselor will stop this from happening in my opinion. The more you're taunting Jason, the more you see him, this means the more fearful your character gets, the more his stamina gets depleted, the more of a target he is via big red outline of him visible through walls, rocks, shrubbery, and mist.

Dead By Daylight allows the player to taunt the enemy because of it's wooden pallets and other windows and openings you can jaunt through which serve as the only way that a player can get away from a killer in direct-chase. From my knowledge, there's nothing like this in F13game. And, in DBD, it probably takes a while to get the precision and mastery with regards to map understanding and distance/speed in the game to be able to taunt the killer so. I feel the player who puts in that effort should be rewarded as such anyways. I mean, forgive me if I'm wrong for I've only seen gameplays and never played myself, but it isn't like everybody in DBD is running around doing this is it?

Also, as an aside, while I can understand the DBD comparisons I feel, just through watching the alpha gameplay and following the news on the game, that F13Game separates itself enough from it to be considered the "same type of game" for lack of a better word. To call it that, is to call Murder from GMod, Michael Myers in COD, or even plain old hide and seek the same games.

F13 looks like a completely different game yes.. It's in no way tied to DBD mechanics, but the developers should not toss the feedback we give from that game aside just because it's different because some problems (maybe not so much this one in particular) can arise, and it's cool to have another asymetrical multiplayer game to reference and bounce ideas off of.

And in DBD, it is not a staple strategy to juke and exploit the environment to avoid a killer, but it is well used by good survivors. So I do agree, that the developers intended for survivors to learn that. But it is still something I wanted to bring up, just to touch on it a bit.

Dead by Daylight is it's own game, with it's own mechanics and it's own goals. We're not really looking to them for inspiration or style, nor has anything from their game changed our design or made us look at things differently. 

We seriously are happy they are doing well, but our games are fundamentally different in style and approach. The similarities occur with 1 killer vs several other people trying not to get killed. 

Please try to keep all DbD discussion to one thread from here on out, please. :)

AZATIONIE and ResolutionBlaze like this

It seems kind of shallow, I dunno. Like there's not enough meat to it. It's pretty easy to play, at least. It's probably not fair to compare the two anyway, since Friday the 13th has a budget of over $1 million and dozens of people working on it. Not sure how large the team is that made this.

I do like the generator mini-game (as opposed to just holding a button down for 15 seconds), although sometimes it just pops up and you really have to be ready for it. I've only played as a survivor so far.

And it is good that there seems to be no shortage of players.

It seems kind of shallow, I dunno. Like there's not enough meat to it. It's pretty easy to play, at least. It's probably not fair to compare the two anyway, since Friday the 13th has a budget of over $1 million and dozens of people working on it. Not sure how large the team is that made this.

I do like the generator mini-game (as opposed to just holding a button down for 15 seconds), although sometimes it just pops up and you really have to be ready for it. I've only played as a survivor so far.

And it is good that there seems to be no shortage of players.

It's a fun game. It feel's like a party game, very simple, once you understand how things work. The tense nature of the game and different fields of view for killer and survivor make some very tense or humorous situations. And it's a thousand times more entertaining when in voice chat with friends.

HOWEVER it's far from perfect. The matchmaking sucks past a certain point. It tends to put high skill players versus low skill players all the time... and that shit gets old. The lack of party with friends matchmaking is a HUGE downside to this game. The perk system tends to unbalance the game a lot, the game really feels best with almost no perks. The best strats also tend to make the game a tedious mess some times... infinite juke points feel horrible as a killer, and you end up having to play trapper 90% of the time to deal with them.

Overall its a good game, it needs some changes tho...

This is my own opinion about Dead by Daylight, this is coming from the perspective of someone seeing it all through "youtubers/streamers" playing the game.

Honestly I'm glad I didn't buy it, it was tempting. I thought the Friday the 13th game wasn't happening or it wouldn't have as cool visual graphics or many features if it were to come out that I thought. I was DEAD WRONG! About myself in that department.

I so far did a lot of video research and research on the source aka people working on the game that post about their progression and I LOVE what I'm seeing. I LOVE the features for the friday the 13th the game.

A Heck a lot than Dead by Daylight could ever offer me. 

I also know for the fact that Dead by Daylight has bugs, and the game is REALLY SIMPLE. Repetitive every match of what you do to escape. I know it has 3 killers about 3 maps I believe. You work on generators to escape and or find a hatch when everyone else is dead to escape. I seen the developers videos, it's more about you channeling your senses as a survivor. An you doing the same as the killer. I feel dead by daylight is more of an experiment on you mentally then Friday the 13th the game.

Friday the 13th the game, I feel like I'm gonna be immersed somewhere, believing I'm at camp crystal lake. Knowing I have to do everything in my power to survive, including FIGHTING BACK! Which dead by daylight can't offer me at this point of time or never! I do believe this is what is making Friday the 13th the game probably asymmetrical cause either or side can fight. It's been stated BOTH sides are gonna be FUN and you'll possibly have a hard time choosing if you wanna be the killer this time or a counselor like you have to flip a quarter on it to be able to choose, Lol.

I'm not trying to say anything about the people who like the game in these forums or anywhere else. I just don't feel so in tune with it, to be able to play and have a great time spent on my "coin".

Also I'm big on customization and I love 70s/80s clothing in slasher flicks, lol. Not like you are about to hike in the countryside on the hills have eyes I need it closer to home, Lol.

If it had AI bots for private matches, I'd be playing it. I haven't heard that they do, and I don't care for multiplayer only games (battlefront), because eventually, in a short amount of time, the game disc becomes a coaster. Servers shut down, mods aren't supported, no AI bots, DLC ends- and all you get is a disk with a rotating icon with "connecting to server" prompts. Nothing else. If they can't make a complete game you can play years down the road - then they shouldn't be asking for full game price. I got enough coasters from dead games.

Check it out you guys, me, some other survivors, and the Killer had an orgy together.

It was PRETTY FRIGGIN' INTENSE to say the least.

Blasko likes this

Mad Dr Bing Bong, Point farmer extraordinaire.

What you ran into is known as a trap wraith. He lets you do generators and will stealth and unstealth next to you for points than he will hit you and let you heal, until he maxes on all points but sacrifice... than its time to farm those.

Its a safe bet to let him farm and you yourself farm until he gets to the punchy stage, than i suggest you run.

If it had AI bots for private matches, I'd be playing it. I haven't heard that they do, and I don't care for multiplayer only games (battlefront), because eventually, in a short amount of time, the game disc becomes a coaster. Servers shut down, mods aren't supported, no AI bots, DLC ends- and all you get is a disk with a rotating icon with "connecting to server" prompts. Nothing else. If they can't make a complete game you can play years down the road - then they shouldn't be asking for full game price. I got enough coasters from dead games.

My least favorite part of any game is when the online dies... RIP Resident evil outbreak 1/2, Rip Socom 2, Rip Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Multiplayer.

Lost but never forgotten....

My least favorite part of any game is when the online dies... RIP Resident evil outbreak 1/2, Rip Socom 2, Rip Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Multiplayer.

Lost but never forgotten....

Especially when there are companies like Electronic Arts who take servers offline or purposely not bothering with support knowing full well that they are going to rely in yearly releases. In the interview with one of the leads, they mentioned that the next battlefront will have single player due to the game not doing as well as originally projected. I think they horribly mishandled the star wars and battlefront franchise simultaneously. They've got 10 year exclusive franchise rights (barring anything they could sub license out) so they are going to milk the name as much as possible. The 2015 battlefront was, in the opinion of many, an incomplete game with more potential than a single player tech demo and online stuff.

There have been many games that once the online dies, the game is gone.

I still play Outbreak from time to time. The AI is worthless but its something. Better than Battlefield Vietnam where you can't get a match going at all.

I talk about Homefront a lot. The multiplayer in that game was the centerpiece of the game. I believe it was 32 v 32 maps. Massive. It ran great and I loved it. It's gone as well, but prematurely due to the studio going under.

Socom 2 was also amazing. The good news, in a weird way, is that the same people who program bots to progress your character while you are at work (WoW Glider comes to mind)- a shit ton of buttons, massive amounts of travel, enemies that move, programmed combat scripts per class and skill tree- once someone makes one of those for any game, it falls into the modding communities hands to save the game by adding AI Bots. Of course Blizzard sued Mdragon but private servers can use that tech to populate areas of extremely light visitation in those private serves to preserve a live like experience.

I rather enjoy Halo: Combat Evolved multiplayer because you can have player made bots that aren't cheap and you aren't getting the cheating hacker types- similar to Black Ops training (which of course demanded you to be online with Xbox Live and when the servers go down, you can't even play solo anymore :/ )

Are the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer servers still up? Had so much fun with that mode...sunk like 400 hours in it over about a year, when all was said and done.

STUFF

I dont mind online only games... i just wont pay retail for them. Thats why DBD is fine, its a 20$ game, I also got the 30$ version of this.

But i cant justify 60$ for an online only game

To the three people who have quoted me and deleted my entire great wall of text- and all have written "STUFF" in there- I laughed my ass off the first time I saw that and I've laughed every time since. Odd things make me laugh. I know I write a lot and am willing to laugh at myself. Well done! :D