Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bewareofbears

Why Chadface Sucks

34 posts in this topic

image.png

I've said before I hate the ridiculous expression but that's not the main issue with it.

It's bad storytelling.

We see the counselors hanging out, "shit gets real" when Jason murders the no-name guy and then we see the stupid Chadface. Chad was deliberately created to be the least likeable character in the game. Instead of relating to his fear or the fear of the counselors- we get a lame joke where the douchebag of the game makes an exaggerated or cartoon expression of shock. It kills the vibe going into the match. Any other counselor would have been a better choice. Chad was purposely made for us to think he is a douche- why should we care if he's scared or going to die? We don't. Like I said, it's just bad storytelling and it kills any suspense before the match begins.

If there are new intros down the road, I hope we see something that isn't a joke or an attempt at continuing a tired, fringe internet meme.

westwarren and Annah like this

I would have enjoyed everyone getting their chance at looking scared and rotating them out randomly. Close up of Jenny, Tiffany, etc. Would have added a bit of variety if we have to watch the same scene over and over without truly changing anything. 

Edit- That "no name" guy is Kenny's brother, Jeff, who talked Kenny into helping him run the camp. Kenny agreed so he could save money to move to NYC to pursue his dream of being on Broadway, which is why he must survive and also why he makes so much noise. He is singing showtunes as he runs to try and keep his fear down. 

Just now, HeavyTeemu said:

It's not that. It shows that he is just the biggest coward.

That makes some sense, yeah :) The only 'issue' I've got - and I wouldn't even say it's an issue - is with the animations. Animations have been the primary source of all glitches I've found so far on Steam. Example: someone gets hit by Jason or grabbed by Jason as they climb through a cabin window. Sometimes they glitch out and get stuck in between the walls around the window frame. Also seen it countless times where Jason shift-grabs someone and he does a really 'heavy' kind of grab, like he reaches quite far and grabs hard. It's in this instance the counsellor usually goes half way under the ground before returning to the correct grip height lol. Worst animation glitch I've seen so far is the one that allows people to cheat. I'm not sure how they do it, but they essentially crouch and move at sprint speed, and their stamina doesn't ever go down. Seen people zooming around the map using it, had to whack a few people with weapons to stop them from cheating.

I'd like a few more intros, some more lines of dialogue and perhaps some facial enhancements in the future. 

HeavyTeemu likes this

2 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

I'd like a few more intros, some more lines of dialogue and perhaps some facial enhancements in the future. 

Why do you people gotta bring up things I have thought about that could derail the topic!? The voicelines...I am confused why everyone has virtually the same lines. To have so many different character tropes and voice actors just repeat the same lines is a missed opportunity to differentiate their tropes further. 

Now that's out of me, commence the Chadface.

OverpoweredSoap likes this

It's almost like the OP doesn't watch cheesy slasher flicks...

There's always the unlikeable d-bag in slasher flicks...

There's also always a jock, a nerd, a jokester, likely a drug user, usually the girl everyone wants to bang...

gtdjlocker311 likes this

18 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

There's also always a jock, a nerd, a jokester, likely a drug user, usually the girl everyone wants to bang...

There was one unlikeable d-bag in the F13th series...and he was in the 2009 remake. Kinda sounds like you haven't seen these films since those tropes don't really apply. The first "jock" of the series was in a wheelchair and wasn't even a trope, but a somewhat developed character considering his screentime. There wasn't even a mean girl in the series until Part 7, if my memory serves me. They did well at avoiding tropes until the series ran out of steam.

4 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

There was one unlikeable d-bag in the F13th series...and he was in the 2009 remake. Kinda sounds like you haven't seen these films since those tropes don't really apply. The first "jock" of the series was in a wheelchair and wasn't even a trope, but a somewhat developed character considering his screentime. There wasn't even a mean girl in the series until Part 7, if my memory serves me. They did well at avoiding tropes until the series ran out of steam.

I was careful with my wording to state "cheesy slasher flicks" as this game is attempting to emulate that genre with the focus on the FT13 genre.

Initially the game they were working on was "Slasher Camp: Vol 1" i'm sure you recognize.

This game is FULL of the classic cheesy horror cliches/tropes...i'm not sure how one could argue that.

20 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

I was careful with my wording to state "cheesy slasher flicks" as this game is attempting to emulate that genre with the focus on the FT13 genre.

Initially the game they were working on was "Slasher Camp: Vol 1" i'm sure you recognize.

This game is FULL of the classic cheesy horror cliches/tropes...i'm not sure how one could argue that.

Yeah, if it was still Slasher Camp, I would be in agreement with you on the tropes(although they aren't as common as people think). But since this is a "love letter" to F13th, some of the tropes don't quite fit. Tiffany is one of the examples that definitely fits. Chad, Buggsy, and Vanessa not as much.

19 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Yeah, if it was still Slasher Camp, I would be in agreement with you on the tropes(although they aren't as common as people think). But since this is a "love letter" to F13th, some of the tropes don't quite fit. Tiffany is one of the examples that definitely fits. Chad, Buggsy, and Vanessa not as much.

Fair enough, I think this one is more subjective than objective so i'm not saying you're "wrong"...simply I lean on the campier side for this title personally.

I do wish to say thanks for replying in a civil manner though.  Such seems rather rare around this board.

1 minute ago, munkt0r said:

Fair enough, I think this one is more subjective than objective so i'm not saying you're "wrong"...simply I lean on the campier side for this title personally.

I do wish to say thanks for replying in a civil manner though.  Such seems rather rare around this board.

Two people can respect one another's opinions!? What madness is this!? 

And yeah, our disagreement just seems to be a matter of taste...which is perfectly fine. Thanks for being civil as well, sir.

JTDestroyer5900, munkt0r and Willie like this

5 hours ago, munkt0r said:

While I can agree the Friday the 13th/Jason movies have become cheesier in the later years, I can't really see what you're saying. This doesn't fall in line with the films, particularly the original series. It may fall in line with cheese like Slumber Party Massacre but in the realm of Friday the 13th- it's bad storytelling. 

People are really hung up on slasher films following the "Scream rules." Some folks may need to do some reviewing of the genre before it became self-aware with Scream.

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

While I can agree the Friday the 13th/Jason movies have become cheesier in the later years, I can't really see what you're saying. This doesn't fall in line with the films, particularly the original series. It may fall in line with cheese like Slumber Party Massacre but in the realm of Friday the 13th- it's bad storytelling. 

Yeah, I'd have to disagree with you there. The closest analogue to Chad in the Friday series is, in my opinion, Trent in FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009). Trent is repeatedly shown being a coward for comedic effect, including one memorable part where he screams like a 9 year old girl.

Chadface is, appropriately I feel, reminiscent of that.

12 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

Yeah, I'd have to disagree with you there. The closest analogue to Chad in the Friday series is, in my opinion, Trent in FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009). Trent is repeatedly shown being a coward for comedic effect, including one memorable part where he screams like a 9 year old girl.

Chadface is, appropriately I feel, reminiscent of that.

I get that point but that's the remake. The game is a love letter to the original franchise- not Michael Bay's "stupendous tits" remake. ;)

Chad is the most fearful counselors, however. But I do think other intros would be nice! Sometimes it would be Chad, sometimes A.J, and so on! It'd make it a lot more interesting and fun seeing other counselors react to Jason killing the poor dude in plaid!