Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bocchiere

Placing Jason's traps indoors?

24 posts in this topic

Are you just not allowed? Someone was looping me around a couch so I wanted to put down a trap to stop him and it wouldn't let me even though I had two left. Is that intentional or a glitch? The guy who was looping me said you cannot place them indoors, and then called me a f***** the next game for not sacrificing myself to Jason so he could live. Unrelated but that guy was a bit of a dick. 

So yeah, back on topic, Jason's traps indoors, yes? no? 

1 minute ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Thank you. I forgot that was a thing. I am disappointed since this would stop looping and seems to have been purposely excluded. 

They excluded it from placing it indoors because Jason could be cheap with it. Imagine you are in a room with only one exit and Jason places a couple traps in the doorway to guarantee that you will step in it. It's cheap and unfair.

They excluded it from placing it indoors because Jason could be cheap with it. Imagine you are in a room with only one exit and Jason places a couple traps in the doorway to guarantee that you will step in it. It's cheap and unfair.

Well by the logic most people seem to have here if you've backed yourself into a room with no windows out and Jason blocking the only exit then you've died due to your mistake. If Jason wants to blow one or more of his rare traps to block you then good for your team, one less he can put on the car, phone, etc.

Think about this: Gas, battery, etc all spawn indoors. If Jason could place traps indoors then he could place them directly on top of those items or right next to it so you couldn't pick it up.

Speaking of which they need to remove Jason's ability to put traps on top of gas and whatnot that is dropped outside. 1. It's cheap 2. It does not make sense that Jason would put a trap on top of a can of gas in the real world.

Think about this: Gas, battery, etc all spawn indoors. If Jason could place traps indoors then he could place them directly on top of those items or right next to it so you couldn't pick it up.

Speaking of which they need to remove Jason's ability to put traps on top of gas and whatnot that is dropped outside. 1. It's cheap 2. It does not make sense that Jason would put a trap on top of a can of gas in the real world.

I don't really see what the difference would be he can already places traps in the places where all those items need to be taken. 

Can you not just stand next to the trap and hit the button to pick the item up? 

No if you try to pick the item up you'll get snapped in it.

The difference is if Jason could place them indoors then he could prevent you from picking the item up at all rather than only being able to prevent you from installing it after it's been taken to the car or boat.

He could also place traps right in front of the phone or the CB radio, doubly preventing you from calling for help even if you could fix the phone box.

That is why Jason should be encouraged to be sneaky instead of cheap with traps. They should be traps, not an alarm system.

2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

No if you try to pick the item up you'll get snapped in it.

The difference is if Jason could place them indoors then he could prevent you from picking the item up at all rather than only being able to prevent you from installing it after it's been taken to the car or boat.

He could also place traps right in front of the phone or the CB radio, doubly preventing you from calling for help even if you could fix the phone box.

That is why Jason should be encouraged to be sneaky instead of cheap with traps. They should be traps, not an alarm system.

I don't see the difference. Whether he puts the trap on the item itself or on the place they need to be installed you would need to spring the trap to make any use of that item. 

He only has 5 traps dude. He can't block every objective. 

But they basically are. You always hear when one is triggered and it flashes on your map when you Morph. It's clearly intended to be used that way. 

9 minutes ago, bocchiere said:

I don't see the difference. Whether he puts the trap on the item itself or on the place they need to be installed you would need to spring the trap to make any use of that item. 

He only has 5 traps dude. He can't block every objective. 

But they basically are. You always hear when one is triggered and it flashes on your map when you Morph. It's clearly intended to be used that way. 

In the Q & A the devs gave the impression that they thought players would be sneaky with it. At least that's how THEY used them, but the first thing people thought of is to trap the objectives and they had to rush to patch the ability to disarm them because it simply didn't occur to them that the traps could be used in an unfair and cheap way rather than a "smart and sneaky" way.

In the Q & A the devs gave the impression that they thought players would be sneaky with it. At least that's how THEY used them, but the first thing people thought of is to trap the objectives and they had to rush to patch the ability to disarm them because it simply didn't occur to them that the traps could be used in an unfair and cheap way rather than a "smart and sneaky" way.

I'm not following your train of thought here because putting them in the places people are most likely to step seems pretty smart to me.

5 minutes ago, bocchiere said:

I'm not following your train of thought here because putting them in the places people are most likely to step seems pretty smart to me.

It takes zero brain power to put a trap where people are guaranteed to NEED to step in it.

If you could place them indoors, then put 1-2 at the phone box, 1 at the phone itself, and save the rest for "reloading" those spots. Then just morph back and forth between the cars and catch people as they are ferrying items to them. Very lame and very cheap.

What takes more brainpower is to put the trap in a bush or something where it blends in and catch someone off-guard.

I think the real solution to your looping problem is to use throwing knives and/or just git gud.

The traps are good the way they are. U win some u lose some. Oh well. 

It's funny that you're telling me to get good while also making up your own scrub rules for traps. 

9 minutes ago, bocchiere said:

It's funny that you're telling me to get good while also making up your own scrub rules for traps. 

I place traps at the phone box and cars because as of the current build, I HAVE to to guarantee maximum success, and I think that's lame. It's become the meta. What they need to do is put a "no trap zone" near enough to the phone and cars so that Jason can't prevent someone from repairing those things. Then he'd have to use traps like actual traps instead of alarm bells with teeth.

The reason using traps in this manner has become the meta is simply because it didn't occur to the devs that they would be used this way. They like to "role play" while the general populace exploits any aspect of the game to win, period. So things like this just flew over their heads.

So yeah, until things change, just put 2 traps at the phone box, the rest at the 4-seater, and watch out for anyone trying to escape by the 2 seater or boat. Then just go ham and enjoy slaughtering everyone while they utterly fail to do anything useful for the rest of the match.

4 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I place traps at the phone box and cars because as of the current build, I HAVE to to guarantee maximum success, and I think that's lame. It's become the meta. What they need to do is put a "no trap zone" near enough to the phone and cars so that Jason can't prevent someone from repairing those things. Then he'd have to use traps like actual traps instead of alarm bells with teeth.

The reason using traps in this manner has become the meta is simply because it didn't occur to the devs that they would be used this way. They like to "role play" while the general populace exploits any aspect of the game to win, period. So things like this just flew over their head.

So yeah, until things change, just put 2 traps at the phone box, the rest at the 4-seater, and watch out for anyone trying to escape by the 2 seater or boat. Then just go ham and enjoy slaughtering everyone while they utterly fail to do anything useful for the rest of the match.

It's not that it didn't occur to them. They said they just expect you to take one for the team or be a Chad and wait for someone else to do it. 

3 minutes ago, bocchiere said:

It's not that it didn't occur to them. They said they just expect you to take one for the team or be a Chad and wait for someone else to do it. 

Which is stupid. Imagine you, in the real world, are trying to escape a psycho killer, and he's put a nasty bear trap in front of the broken phone box. You don't have a swiss army knife or multi-tool to disarm it, so are you going to STICK YOUR DAMN FOOT IN IT? No. No you are f***ing not. You're going to go find a decent stick not 10 feet from you and get the trap out of the way. That's Simple Jack level of intelligence.

Just now, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Which is stupid. Imagine you, in the real world, are trying to escape a psycho killer, and he's put a nasty bear trap in front of the broken phone box. You don't have a swiss army knive or multi-tool to disarm it, so are you going to STICK YOUR DAMN FOOT IN IT? No. No you are f***ing not. You're going to go find a decent stick not 10 feet from you and get the trap out of the way. See? It flew right over their heads.

Again, no, they just chose to design it that way. They said in the QA that they think the traps not being able to be disarmed is ok. I don't know why you think the dev's just never thought about these things, they obviously did. 

1 minute ago, bocchiere said:

Again, no, they just chose to design it that way. They said in the QA that they think the traps not being able to be disarmed is ok. I don't know why you think the dev's just never thought about these things, they obviously did. 

And they're wrong. They caved into pressure to let pocket knives disarm them. They just need to cave a little more because the original trap system is just plain bad.

Just now, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

And they're wrong.

If that's your opinion that's fine, I agree it doesn't make sense either, especially since you literally can be carrying a stick on you. 

1 person likes this

Gather knifes. They are effective in these situations. Shift is enough to catch counselors outside.

3 hours ago, bocchiere said:

bump?

Please do not double post. Bumping is not allowed. 

38 minutes ago, HeavyTeemu said:

Gather knifes. They are effective in these situations. Shift is enough to catch counselors outside.

What Teemu said. I've had people try to loop around a car to stop me chasing them. Throwing knives sorted out that issue pretty fast, and if I had none I'd leave the counsellor alone and go find 2 or 3. I'd then probably find them again later in the game, and if they tried to loop again then it'd be swiftly discouraged with 2 throwing knives in the chest :)  

As for the placement of traps at objectives, I do agree it's a little cheap. To be honest though not that many Jasons I've played against have utilised their traps effectively. It's not often at all I find traps at all of the objectives. On PC they can be disarmed with a pocket knife, and I've disarmed traps at phones and cars before and managed to repair them. At least if they're at objectives, you can bet that they'll be on other ones and you won't have to worry about as many traps being outside windows or in front of cabin doors. 

To be honest though I'm one of those 'objective trapper' Jasons :)