wes

A Bumpy Start - A Detailed Explanation of Server/Database Errors, DLC and More

92 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

This is actually great info.  I mean...its still a shitshow but makes a little more sense reading this.  

Agree, couldn't be more or honest or well articulated. I think the information should be pinned in the "General Discussion Forum" also. I think people that are new to the forums go straight there and miss this sub forum - or don't realise with so much forum traffic at the moment that here is where the developers post. 

41 minutes ago, wes said:

As for why we didn't look to a "big publisher" - We met with every single one of them 2 years ago. None were interested. They either didn't believe in the concept or had their mind made up that film IP doesn't equate to good games. We did meet with one that was somewhat interested. But they were far from "big".  

Publishers really, and I mean REALLY, missed the boat on this one.  Not quite sure how far you would've had to have had your head up your ass not to see that an officially-licensed Friday the 13th franchise + all the big names from the series getting involved + great game design by a team passionate about the idea = BIG $$$$$.  Considering all the really crap games devoid of any inkling of originality or ingenuity that get published, this shouldn't surprise me.

75,000 players in the first 20 minutes = WOW.  Makes you wonder where this silent majority was the entire time?  That's a massive amount of paying lurkers.

2 people like this

I wonder how many refunded due to this. 

Im not wishing it on Gun. Im pissed at them for other things but I hope this doesnt become what the game is known for. 

38 minutes ago, wes said:

I think you might be confusing 30K concurrent players with 30K units sold. HUGE difference. We prepped for 30K concurrent players. Which means every second, of every day, 24/7, our database can support 30K players.

90K twitter followers does not equate sales. The conversion rate on social platforms to actual paying customers are fractions of percents. 

The conversion rate from a twitch viewer to a paying customer hovers around 2%, given the streamer holds an audience of roughly 2K viewers. Meaning of 2K viewers, about 2% or 40 customers give or take, will purchase the title. 

And we didn't have one of the most hyped indie releases in history. We did have momentum, that is for sure. But looking at one month's worth of PC pre-orders, we made the best calculations we could. 

As for why we didn't look to a "big publisher" - We met with every single one of them 2 years ago. None were interested. They either didn't believe in the concept or had their mind made up that film IP doesn't equate to good games. We did meet with one that was somewhat interested. But they were far from "big".  

I am talking just for the past 2 days where concurrent units and sold units correlate within a single digit %. 

You are right they are not guaranteed sales but i believe you are way underestimating that % of people on social media. 

I sold 7 of my friends on buying this game because of all the hype that was building since PAX when the game got back on my radar. So i look like a real tool now getting kicked to the dashboard/games constantly timing out, walking people through how to make a separate account just to get past the db errors. The consoles were always were this game was going to shine and using beta numbers during xmas week was another stunner to me. 

Like i said game-play wise well done; everything else is just what the hell is going on. 

Im not going to say anything else after this, criticizing you guys more wont make anything better it was something I just had to get off my chest and hopefully this can get resolved before a month 

9 minutes ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

I wonder how many refunded due to this. 

Im not wishing it on Gun. Im pissed at them for other things but I hope this doesnt become what the game is known for. 

When this all gets fixed and people are loving the hell out of the game, and more buying it, we will all remember these "lean days" as The Days of Strife.  And we shall wear a badge on our shirts (or on our in-game characters...hahaha) that proclaimed that we survived it!

3 people like this

17 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Publishers really, and I mean REALLY, missed the boat on this one.  Not quite sure how far you would've had to have had your head up your ass not to see that an officially-licensed Friday the 13th franchise + all the big names from the series getting involved + great game design by a team passionate about the idea = BIG $$$$$.  Considering all the really crap games devoid of any inkling of originality or ingenuity that get published, this shouldn't surprise me.

75,000 players in the first 20 minutes = WOW.  Makes you wonder where this silent majority was the entire time?  That's a massive amount of paying lurkers.

I shouldnt have mentioned the big publishers; there is alot of information the we are not privy to that could have complicated that type of arrangement as they got the Friday the 13th IP for nothing upfront(backend payments). So that was my bad those companies are greedy and if they cant see ~50% its not worth it to them

8 minutes ago, urbt said:

I shouldnt have mentioned the big publishers; there is alot of information the we are not privy to that could have complicated that type of arrangement as they got the Friday the 13th IP for nothing upfront(backend payments). So that was my bad those companies are greedy and if they cant see ~50% its not worth it to them

If they asked too much, and I'm sure many do/did, then it simply wasn't worth it. 

Thank you for your tireless efforts into getting everything up and running. Most of us know that you are a small 'shoe-string budget' enterprise and lack the 10,000 programmers/coders that larger and more mainstream publishers have on their roster

I know that once you work out the kinks, a lot of your doubters will be having to eat a lot of crow

Thanks for the updates explaining what's happened, what you're doing to fix it and especially for giving some timescales on the fixes.

It's frustrating.  Right now my game doesn't work on the XBox ONE here in the UK.

I would be well within my rights to demand a refund from Microsoft but what I've seen of the game so far looks great.

It's clear a lot of care and attention has gone into the product so I understand this isn't the start the developers were planning for.

Based on the quality of the game when it works I'm happy to stick it out and give them the chance to fix the stuff that's gone wrong.

Hopefully this won't be too long coming.  Again appreciate the updates.  At least we're not in the dark as to what's going on.

"Bumpy" doesn't even come close.

1 person likes this

Thank you for the update Wes. I know you guys are working hard at fixing it. Don't listen to the crybaby's bashing you guys, they have no idea what an endeavor like this entails. Two thumbs up for keeping the community up to date. Most companies just let their player base sit in the dark and say "we'll fix it when we fix it :)

5 hours ago, wes said:

90% of player accounts are good. The remaining 10% will take more time due to how corrupted they are.

Wow talk about bad luck for me, only 10% with bad accounts remaining and I had to be one of them. I know I'm not the only one unable to login since friday but damn, life's a bitch sometimes!

1 hour ago, Smartz1 said:

Thank you for the update Wes. I know you guys are working hard at fixing it. Don't listen to the crybaby's bashing you guys, they have no idea what an endeavor like this entails. Two thumbs up for keeping the community up to date. Most companies just let their player base sit in the dark and say "we'll fix it when we fix it :)

Crybabies?

So we know, at one point are folks able to legitimately be upset in your books?

6 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Crybabies?

Codes don't work, game'as still basically unplayable 3 days after lunch, bugs from beta still exist, Xbox got an old build of the game, ps4 backers are excluded from a free theme, oh and Jason was killed before launch. He's righ, guess we're complaining over nothing. We should  wait until they close the servers and say the game has been cancelled before we start complaining next time. 

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, makred78 said:

Wow talk about bad luck for me, only 10% with bad accounts remaining and I had to be one of them. I know I'm not the only one unable to login since friday but damn, life's a bitch sometimes!

Yeah, I must be in among that 10% as well. :( I've literally been trying to connect (PC version, clicking the retry or restarting every few minutes) since 8:00am this morning and it's now 10:30pm (just tried again and still no go)!! 

I also complained in another thread that being improperly prepared for overwhelming response on launch seems to be the norm for new titles these days, but that puts the onus on the Devs to do better stress testing in BETA, and NOT on us the consumers to accept as "just how it is". That being said, I do appreciate Wes actually explaining what the issues are and that they did try to be ready for very high load on launch but never thought it would actually be so high as it was. 

It kinda stinks that I can't select my Jason kills, but other than that, I don't really mind. I'm getting better at playing counselors and playing as Jason, knowing what to look out for both sight wise and hearing wise.

42 minutes ago, makred78 said:

Somehow I think 99% of us are in that "10%";)

Once again the issue with AMD users is ignored, it's ok though as they have answered what's already answered god knows how many times regarding DLC and login issues!

3 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Crybabies?

Nah, not until we are a couple weeks out from launch and they haven't fixed it. MP games are notorious for terrible launches. In 36 years I've seen like 2 good ones. It happens every time, and every time people are surprised. Multi-billion dollar companies have the same issues and worse. So yeah, a couple days is WAAAAAY too soon to call foul.  

3 people like this

4 hours ago, Macho Deadpool said:

It kinda stinks that I can't select my Jason kills, but other than that, I don't really mind. I'm getting better at playing counselors and playing as Jason, knowing what to look out for both sight wise and hearing wise.

Trying adding these in the Customization menu from the Start Screen, not while in a game lobby.  Worked for me.

1 person likes this

"However, when we flipped the switch, making the game live, 75K players showed up in the first 20 minutes. 50K players got in, but at that point, our database was melting. "

Just finding this hard to believe considering on Steam the game only broke 10k players later on into the day, it launched at 5am UK, so very early hours EU and late night US, not exactly prime time (also throw in the factor of it being a work day) so you're saying that 65k players on console all bought, downloaded and tried logging in 20 minutes of launch?

Or 10k, being generous for the launch hour, on steam and 40k console, again, still sounds doubtful.

They say they thought they were prepared but I honestly don't think they thought anything through all the way. Besides the servers, codes, and bugs issues they have completely neglected to forums. If they were prepared they would have created proper sub-forums for bugs, glitches, and technical issues for each platform before launch. 

We here have been telling them that and voicing that issue for a while with no answer. Now the main section of this forum has been overrun with hundreds of the same post making difficult to even use or find what you're looking for. And it's probably killing Jpops having to deal with this almost all in his on. I don't know what world they live in where they think forums are a thing of the past, must be the same world where streamers are the press of the future, but for years when I have an issue I go to the games official forum. Because, that's where I expect to find answers. 

It's almost a joke how much they ignore this forum. They pop in once in awhile drop a post and leave. They still haven't created a proper section for all these issues and it has been days. It's not rocket science, it would take less than 5 minutes but I guess that's too much time for them to spend here. Heaven forbid they ever listen to the people who funded and believed in them. It just another slap in the face to the supporters. In the span of a day they let the only place for real game discussions to be set on fire. 

OH, and still waiting on the explanation about letting streamers kill Jason before launch. Honestly I don't think you can say anything to reason this away. Playing dumb and saying sorry we didn't know will only work so many times. 

1 person likes this

Servers will be down from 7am to 10am est. For maintenance according to my ps4. So thats a start for sure. Maybe this wont be an issue after today. Hopefully we get our xp and level ups also!

5 hours ago, Smartz1 said:

Nah, not until we are a couple weeks out from launch and they haven't fixed it. MP games are notorious for terrible launches. In 36 years I've seen like 2 good ones. It happens every time, and every time people are surprised. Multi-billion dollar companies have the same issues and worse. So yeah, a couple days is WAAAAAY too soon to call foul.  

THIS.

wanna know the only two games i remember having GOOD online launches?! 

I am playing computer/videogames since 1984 and the only games i can remember that had good launches were QUAKE 2 and HALF-LIFE/COUNTERSTRIKE when it was an alpha/beta. and you wanna know those are the only two ones?! BECAUSE IT DIDNT HAVE TO DO WITH THE INTERNET. Servers were hosted on local computers, the most amount of players that connected to those were 20 or so. you had to screw fucking terminator onto your T-Connectors if you were at the end of the network line. 

EVERY other game that came after and was an Online game or Had at least a healthy online compitnent had some more or less severe issues at launch

so to the fucking whiners, shut the fuck up and be patient. give it a few days or even 2 weeks and THEN you can start complaining.