Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guy

Colonial Marines

18 posts in this topic

With the new movie coming out I'm in a bit of an Alien headspace at the moment.

As shit as Colonial Marines on 360 is, there's a genuinely good 'Bug Hunt' 4 person multiplayer game mode hidden behind a £10 DLC that nobody seems to own.

Which is a shame as the otherwise fantastic Alien Isolation doesn't let me shoot xenomorphs as Bill Paxton, which I'm genuinely in the mood for.

Did anyone else try this mode? Or was the disc already burned at that point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Guy said:

With the new movie coming out I'm in a bit of an Alien headspace at the moment.

As shit as Colonial Marines on 360 is, there's a genuinely good 'Bug Hunt' 4 person multiplayer game mode hidden behind a £10 DLC that nobody seems to own.

Which is a shame as the otherwise fantastic Alien Isolation doesn't let me shoot xenomorphs as Bill Paxton, which I'm genuinely in the mood for.

Did anyone else try this mode? Or was the disc already burned at that point?

Hated the game.

Hated the single player.

Hated the graphics.

Hated the characters.

But loved bug hunt mode. That was actually fun. Thankfully i got it bundled with the disc at no extra charge (This was when everyone knew the game was shit, so SEGA tried their damnedest to make more cash). 

Alien Isolation is great. It feels like the first movie. But I really wanna GOOD game that feels like the second movie.

Just leave Alien: 3 and Resurrection out of it. Those never happened.

Guy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Colonial Marines. I understand it's failings but it was still fun. The multiplayer was enjoyable. I know folks were expecting a lot from it but I'm fairly easy to please as long as I get to kill aliens. Isolation is obviously the superior game though and it would be nice to see Colonial Marines game that was as well done.

Guy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I unfortunately have very negative feelings towards it, less for the game (which has big issues anyway) but mainly for how the development was handled.

I'm sorry for the devs involved that Battleborn crashed so hard, but Gearbox themselves had that one coming.

Guy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Hated the game.

Hated the single player.

Hated the graphics.

Hated the characters.

But loved bug hunt mode. That was actually fun. Thankfully i got it bundled with the disc at no extra charge (This was when everyone knew the game was shit, so SEGA tried their damnedest to make more cash). 

Alien Isolation is great. It feels like the first movie. But I really wanna GOOD game that feels like the second movie.

Just leave Alien: 3 and Resurrection out of it. Those never happened.

I dunno, the assembly cut of Alien3 caps the trilogy off quite well for me. I enjoy the utter nihilistic feel of inescapable doom that lingers over 3, and the extra half an hour gives it it's characters and motivations back.

Back to Colonial Marines, if anyone feels like throwing the old turd on (360) for a multiplayer bug hunt let me know guys. It'd be nice to drag a few positive experiences out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Alien3 AC is pretty good. First two are classics, way ahead, but that version of Alien3 I kinda like, though I think the last third of it is the weakest part.

Pretty much everything past then, I haven't enjoyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree.

Prometheus has moments of visual splendor, but that's about it. Haven't seen Covenant yet so trying to avoid spoilers, but I'm not hoping for much.

The Alien3 video game wasn't too bad though, regardless of the fact that it's not keeping with the spirit of the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guy said:

Back to Colonial Marines, if anyone feels like throwing the old turd on (360) for a multiplayer bug hunt let me know guys. It'd be nice to drag a few positive experiences out of it.

Maybe once its part of backwards compatibility i'll hop back on it for another go.

I did the same recently for Dead space 2's multiplayer. People are still playing it surprisingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I do it with Ghostbusters often since it became bc.

I'll keep an eye out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested in firing up Bug Hunt I would be down. I own it on PC. I am huge fan of all the alien games. I played AvP2010 way too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Guy said:

With the new movie coming out I'm in a bit of an Alien headspace at the moment.

As shit as Colonial Marines on 360 is, there's a genuinely good 'Bug Hunt' 4 person multiplayer game mode hidden behind a £10 DLC that nobody seems to own.

Which is a shame as the otherwise fantastic Alien Isolation doesn't let me shoot xenomorphs as Bill Paxton, which I'm genuinely in the mood for.

Did anyone else try this mode? Or was the disc already burned at that point?

I can recall one single good part in that game. One...sadly. That was the part where you go underground with the Xenomorphs that respond to movement. That was the one single time that game was fun, unique, and interesting. I have nothing good to say about any of the rest of the campaign.

I stopped playing long before that came out so haven't tried it yet. You fellas have fun. I can't give Gearbox any more cash for that thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShankerOne said:

I can recall one single good part in that game. One...sadly. That was the part where you go underground with the Xenomorphs that respond to movement. That was the one single time that game was fun, unique, and interesting. I have nothing good to say about any of the rest of the campaign.

I stopped playing long before that came out so haven't tried it yet. You fellas have fun. I can't give Gearbox any more cash for that thing.

Without a doubt that was the best part. 

18enqwvbhqw5ygif.gif

Which is a shame when the rest of the game looks like this:

aliens-colonial-marines-dance.gif

ShankerOne likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Which is a shame when the rest of the game looks like this:

aliens-colonial-marines-dance.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they patched a lot of that out eventually. It was too late by then of course. The game still looks as ugly as all hell though.

However, as I say, Bug Hunt is immensely playable and should have been included from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guy said:

I think they patched a lot of that out eventually. It was too late by then of course. The game still looks as ugly as all hell though.

However, as I say, Bug Hunt is immensely playable and should have been included from the start.

I don't think the game would have been so bad if SEGA didn't Ubisoft themselves.

I had the same overall gripes with AVP (2010), but again the multiplayer was amazing as hell.

Bug hunt mode is definitely worth revisiting. Someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I don't think the game would have been so bad if SEGA didn't Ubisoft themselves.

I had the same overall gripes with AVP (2010), but again the multiplayer was amazing as hell.

Bug hunt mode is definitely worth revisiting. Someday.

Sega was a huge part of the problem, being noted at one point as one of their producers wanting this to "attract the Call of Duty crowd." But the thing that probably did this game in was the piece meal development by something like 6 contracted studios. That alone was a recipe for disaster.

And I agree, @Guy. That should have been in from the jump. It may have given it some replayability to some degree. I can tell you from experience, if you didn't play with 3 other friends, the AI would drive you insane. It was horrendous. And I mean the ally AI, don't even get me started on the enemies.  See my exchange with @lHeartBreakerl and the dancing xenomorphs above on that one. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was "meh" and the DLC gave a pretty stupid reason to bring back Hicks. Michael Biehn was doing paycheck voice acting, he sounded he didn't want to be there half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0