Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JyusannichiKibou

How to deter/ban external VOIP players?

39 posts in this topic

One of the great things about the game is the localized VOIP system they implemented. It really increases the sense of isolation until you meet up with other counselors, and finding the walkie talkie becomes a serious strategic advantage. This is particularly important for stealth characters -- the AJs need to stay far away from the Vanessas in order to survive.

This is why it bothered me when *some* streamers during the beta were using vent/discord/etc. to communicate globally during the game, ruining the immersion. It got to the point where they got annoyed when players would try to use proximity VOIP to talk to them, and they would deliberately not pick up walkie talkies because "nobody uses them" even though there is no penalty for picking them up. Good for them, but I want to stay away from players doing this.

Do we have a way to specify that games are for in-game VOIP only, and a reasonable means to ban players who we think are using external VOIP to bypass the in-game restrictions on communication? (The absolute worst is when players start colluding after they escape/die -- especially with Jason.)

I realize that there is no way to prevent or detect this automatically, but it would be great if we had some sort of obvious message to let people know for those of us who want to use in-game VOIP only and not play with others who use something else.

Edit: Actually some sort of oppressive VAC-type monitoring would be great for competitive play if the game ever becomes popular for that.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done about that. The group I played with during beta all just agreed to not use an outside voice chat. That's really about the only solution.

Edit: Also this game isn't designed as a competitive game.

First of all, there should not be any punishment of any kind for talking to your friends via programs. That is stupid, and is limiting ways people can play a game they paid for.

Also, the walkie talkies were bugged in the beta, where you could somehow hear someone on the other end of the map, but they can't hear you. This caused a great annoyance to some players, as they were constantly talking and nothing could be done about it. Try researching first.

ikarikh and Sebcon like this

2 hours ago, Superyoshiegg said:

Also, the walkie talkies were bugged in the beta, where you could somehow hear someone on the other end of the map, but they can't hear you. This caused a great annoyance to some players, as they were constantly talking and nothing could be done about it. Try researching first.

First off, one of the forum rules is to post an introductory thread in the 'introductions' section. Welcome to the forum; I already looked at your 2 post count but didn't find a thread for your introduction. Might want to get on that.

Secondly, they were indeed bugged, but not every single game. I had it a few times where I could hear people on the other end of the map when I didn't have a walkie-talkie, and I also had it a few times where it worked as intended. 

Thirdly, not to be a dick but 'try researching first' just sounds douchey by nature I'm afraid. Perhaps try reading these forum rules first.

2 hours ago, Kodiak said:

Thirdly, not to be a dick but 'try researching first' just sounds douchey by nature I'm afraid. Perhaps try reading these forum rules first.

Firstly, Too late. You're so mean:P. He is new, he just needs some gentle guidance. Save the slaughtering until next week. 

4 hours ago, Superyoshiegg said:

First of all, there should not be any punishment of any kind for talking to your friends via programs. That is stupid, and is limiting ways people can play a game they paid for.

Secondly, using group chat to talk when your dead to the living or opposite team is kinda cheating and can ruin the experience. I think people should refrain from doing this, but that's my opinion. But if you do do it and some one can prove you're cheating all I can say is actions have consequences.

4 hours ago, Superyoshiegg said:

Thirdly, I'm sure they have worked this out in the last five months and haven't been twiddling their thumbs. It will probably work fine. 

If you are worried about VOIP circumvention then just play matches with friends. Even if you are in the worst-case scenario where you are Jason against a team of 7 in party chat, dead players cannot spectate you as Jason in a public match, so they are still limited in how they can help the remaining counselors. To me it's a non-issue.

36 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Firstly, Too late. You're so mean:P. He is new, he just needs some gentle guidance. Save the slaughtering until next week. 

Nahhhh I'm not mean, I'm a really nice dude actually. It's just the way words are conveyed online; it's not always clear whether what people say is light hearted or not :)

If you feel that people are colluding with Jason you can bring up their gamertag (on X-box, though I'm sure PS has similar setup) and report them for unsportsmanlike play. That is definitely going against the intent of the game. 

You can also mute people. I plan to do so to disembodied voices I hear. 

It's really a shame Party chat couldn't have been disabled while in play. 

It would be community suicide to start banning people for using discord/teamspeak/etc

The VOIP in the beta was decent but very unreliable, until this game hits E-Sports I cant see it being smart to enforce ingame VOIP use. 

Babalonkie likes this

22 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

It would be community suicide to start banning people for using discord/teamspeak/etc

The VOIP in the beta was decent but very unreliable, until this game hits E-Sports I cant see it being smart to enforce ingame VOIP use. 

I don't think Discord/party chat and the like are against any rules. I'm sure there won't be any bans unless they are used to harass other players. 

Babalonkie likes this

38 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I don't think Discord/party chat and the like are against any rules. I'm sure there won't be any bans unless they are used to harass other players. 

Yeah I agree, my post was mainly in reference to the OPs title. 

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

I don't think this is going to hit e-sports, at least not on the real competitive tourney level. There's too many variables in each game and no real statistical tracking ability. Overall consistent success is mostly random due to the Rogue-like nature of the weapon and item spawns.

55 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

I don't think this is going to hit e-sports, at least not on the real competitive tourney level. There's too many variables in each game and no real statistical tracking ability. Overall consistent success is mostly random due to the Rogue-like nature of the weapon and item spawns.

Not to mention that by making Jason as OP as he is makes it very unlikely to be competitive in any way. This is not a competitive game by design.

Ralph Wiggum777 likes this

I had this same conversation for PS4 and their party chat system. There doesn't seem to be anything you could do about it. It sucks but It does take away from some of the drama of the game.

luckily teams of randoms are unlikely to send out voice chat invites on consoles. To much in the way when the match actually starts to go through with all that.

Since this isn't a competitive game I don't see this as big of an issue. I don't think they should just make it hard for people to use outside chats.

If they wanna use outside chats and ignore the effort the team put into the current voice chat fine.

Like even just a big message that said: "The in-game VOIP to enhance immersion -- using teamspeak/discord/whatever to globally chat can hurt the experience for other players, please refrain from using it." or something to that effect.

You could disable the message on private games and create specific private lobbies for players who want to play the game with global voice chat. If a bunch of people want to all laugh together on their private match, that's no skin off my back. It just hurts me if I join a random open game or something and a bunch of people are breaking the game by having godlike communication powers. =(

The in-game proximity VOIP is in there for a reason.

12 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

If you are worried about VOIP circumvention then just play matches with friends. Even if you are in the worst-case scenario where you are Jason against a team of 7 in party chat, dead players cannot spectate you as Jason in a public match, so they are still limited in how they can help the remaining counselors. To me it's a non-issue.

It's a non-issue in terms of it being a "cheat". It's not...But it IS a shame when people cut themselves off from the public chat in favor of a party chat, especially in a game like this. If you're not supposed to be able to chat while dead - then you shouldn't be able to through a 3 party app either...But that is what it is.

I'll be streaming this on release, and I'll be doing so in public chat so viewers will see the "intended" experience.

I guess there's nothing wrong with being on discord AND public chat though...Just don't leave your fellow counselors without chatting teammates. That's lame.

21 hours ago, JyusannichiKibou said:

This is why it bothered me when *some* streamers during the beta were using vent/discord/etc. to communicate globally during the game, ruining the immersion.

No.  If they ever did ban private lobbies/chats then I would simply not wear a headset.  There will be too many screaming, whiny 13 years olds, claiming to have had sexual relations with my mother (god rest her soul) in this game until the next Call of Duty is released in November.  I for one am not down to listen to them or to guys who like to take charge and tell you what to do.  That's no fun either. (I'm looking at you Rainbow Six Siege. )

14 minutes ago, SCREWNUT said:

No.  If they ever did ban private lobbies/chats then I would simply not wear a headset.  There will be too many screaming, whiny 13 years olds, claiming to have had sexual relations with my mother (god rest her soul) in this game until the next Call of Duty is released in November.  I for one am not down to listen to them or to guys who like to take charge and tell you what to do.  That's no fun either. (I'm looking at you Rainbow Six Siege. )

Of *course* there will be private lobbies, I don't think anyone would want every lobby to be public. That's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that the proximity VOIP is a gameplay mechanic -- just as much as Jason's shift/morph, or calling the police, or whatever. It's what helps make the game, by limiting information that counselors can share.

If you don't want to play with randos, and want to be able to constantly talk to everyone playing while talking to Jason too, etc., you should totally be able to create a private lobby to do that. Moreover, if some rando 9-year-old is screaming at you on a public match, you can always mute him (that's why the mute option is there).

Mostly I'm just musing that it would be great to find a way to encourage people in public games to use the in-game VOIP and *not* use an external chat. The information-limiting proximity chat is there for the same reason that in an FPS you can't see through walls -- wallhacks give you info that the in-game character would not reasonably have. Opaque walls are part of the immersion in an FPS. Not having a psychic link to all the other counselors is part of the immersion in F13.

EDIT: To clarify, this is especially apparent when you are playing Jason. If all the counselors are on discord or whatever, they have a *HUGE* advantage over Jason because they can coordinate with no limitations. The proximity VOIP is there to nerf their communications abilities (i.e. you must be close or both have walkie talkies, otherwise no talkie). These are teenagers in the 1980's, they don't carry around cellphones or anything, and they sure as hell don't have elite special forces comms gear.

Discord/teamspeak is effectively a wallhack in the context of this game.

33 minutes ago, SCREWNUT said:

There will be too many screaming, whiny 13 years olds, claiming to have had sexual relations with my mother (god rest her soul) in this game until the next Call of Duty is released in November. 

This is why a Friday, October 13th release date would have been banannas! Only a month with those little bastards!

SCREWNUT likes this

51 minutes ago, JyusannichiKibou said:

What I'm saying is that the proximity VOIP is a gameplay mechanic -- just as much as Jason's shift/morph, or calling the police, or whatever. It's what helps make the game, by limiting information that counselors can share.

The proximity VOIP is nice and all, but it's not going to be used on Consoles.  The walkie talkie is worthless too.  It's just the way it is.  Take Rainbow Six Siege for example.  Nobody talks on there.  At least no one when I play it.  I just go in, do my job to my best ability and hope that the people I'm with are team players too.  That's what's going to happen in this game a majority of the time.  People will play it, get killed, leave the game and find the next match.  

22 minutes ago, SCREWNUT said:

The proximity VOIP is nice and all, but it's not going to be used on Consoles.  The walkie talkie is worthless too.  It's just the way it is.  Take Rainbow Six Siege for example.  Nobody talks on there.  At least no one when I play it.  I just go in, do my job to my best ability and hope that the people I'm with are team players too.  That's what's going to happen in this game a majority of the time.  People will play it, get killed, leave the game and find the next match.  

If that's how it is, console sounds awful...

If you didn't play the PC Beta that's literally the antithesis of what you want, The proximity voice literally MAKES this game. On top of that the lobby system runs persistent server groups, so its not very intuitive to leave and find a new server every time you die. If its like the beta you LOOSE all your xp if you leave early... so that makes it even worse.

The game is built to have everyone stay and play the game while talking to each other. Essentially after a few rounds you tend to get to know some of the folks your playing with, and thats one of the more unique things about this game. If you play it the way its intended its VERY entertaining.

4 minutes ago, Nothingface said:

If that's how it is, console sounds awful...

If you didn't play the PC Beta that's literally the antithesis of what you want, The proximity voice literally MAKES this game. On top of that the lobby system runs persistent server groups, so its not very intuitive to leave and find a new server every time you die. If its like the beta you LOOSE all your xp if you leave early... so that makes it even worse.

I don't understand why you guys keep quoting me.  I'm not the one who came up with the rules.  It's just the way things usually go.  Everybody has their reasons to play the game how they want to play the game.  I have my reasons I don't talk to randos.   

You can't control how a human is going to react to another human.  Besides, I'm sure after the game comes out and has been played for a few days there will be better things to bitch about. :)

1 minute ago, SCREWNUT said:

I don't understand why you guys keep quoting me.

... Because your on a forum and said something that I wanted to respond to? Its kind of what we do on a forum. :|

2 minutes ago, SCREWNUT said:

Everybody has their reasons to play the game how they want to play the game.  I have my reasons I don't talk to randos.   

Well I cant stop you from doing what you don't want to, or cant do. Just know its probibly going to be quite a bit more boring if you play that way. Its a very socially inclined game.

4 minutes ago, SCREWNUT said:

Besides, I'm sure after the game comes out and has been played for a few days there will be better things to bitch about. :)

Theirs always something else to bitch about.. even now <3

1 hour ago, Risinggrave said:

This is why a Friday, October 13th release date would have been banannas! Only a month with those little bastards!

Shit- you're right. I didn't even consider they'll be out for summer soon. :(