Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
disco romance

Simple solution for additional counselors

35 posts in this topic

We currently have ten character tropes featured in the game, and without adding too many more (because let's face, at some point there are going to be characters that are too similar to one another), how about creating another ten counselors that feature the same tropes as the original cast? This would be a nod to having a different group of counselors from a different film, but they still fit the typical archetypes we see throughout the series. (Though I still think we need a mean girl and a party animal trope, then we're good. Also, I think party animal is a much cleaner way to say stoner guy.)

My suggestion would be to have a male Tiffany, a female Adam, etc. On the character select screen you could easily just hit down on a specific character and get an alternative version of that trope.

I realize this is something that can't be done right away, but I think it's worth considering in the future.

DialM, Jealousy, Survival and 4 others like this

5 minutes ago, disco romance said:

We currently have ten character tropes featured in the game, and without adding too many more (because let's face, at some point there are going to be characters that are too similar to one another), how about creating another ten counselors that feature the same tropes as the original cast? This would be a nod to having a different group of counselors from a different film, but they still fit the typical archetypes we see throughout the series. (Though I still think we need a mean girl and a party animal trope, then we're good. Also, I think party animal is a much cleaner way to say stoner guy.)

My suggestion would be to have a male Tiffany, a female Adam, etc. On the character select screen you could easily just hit down on a specific character and get an alternative version of that trope.

I realize this is something that can't be done right away, but I think it's worth considering in the future.

I like the idea, I was wondering myself if reskins on the existing characters would help alleviate some of the potential clone wars.

We already have a few of the "gender swap" types. The Athletic Girl Vanessa and the Jock Buggzy are virtually the same, Demorah Kim and Eric Lachappa as well. Rocker Chick and Edgy Guy? Not exactly identical but very similar.The only counselors without a gener-swap counterpart, in my opinion are:

Kenny Reidell, Head Counselor:

In my opinion the two female characters that could fit this are Pam Roberts from Part V and Megan from Part 6. Pam helped run the halfway house and Megan was a counselor.

Chad Kensington, The Preppy Guy:

Melissa from Part 7 for sure.

Jenny Myers, The Girl Next Door:

The counterpart would be The Boyfriend, The Guy Next Door, Final Guy, The Charming Guy, etc. Just amalgamate some of the characteristics of the men that survived or had dated the final girl.

Tiffany Cox, The Flirty Girl:

The Dreamy Guy? The Dreamboat? Kevin Bacon from Part 1, in my opinion, because he's Kevin frickin Bacon. And Scott Cheny from Part 2. He pretty much did nothing but flirt with Terry for the whole movie.

The counselors we haven't seen yet are:

The Party Guy: Ted from Part 4, Chuck from Part 3, Cort from Part 6

The Mom: All the mom characters in each movie.

The Kid: Young Tommy and Reggie The Reckless(probably not gonna happen).

The Tough Guy/Girl: The bikers from part 3, the muggers from Part 8, the paintball players from Part 6.

The Old Kook: Crazy Ralph, the eyeball guy from Part 3, the cemetery caretaker from Part 6, the Deck Hand from part 8.

The Cop/Deputy/Sheriff: Garris from part 6, the many other cops throughout the series.

The Hunter: Rob from part 4, Tommy Jarvis(though he's his own guy now), Creighton Duke.

I think there are plenty of ideas to go around for future counselor DLC. I'm sure we will get all the archetypes eventually.

Honkytonkgamer likes this

19 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

We already have a few of the "gender swap" types. The Athletic Girl Vanessa and the Jock Buggzy are virtually the same, Demorah Kim and Eric Lachappa as well. Rocker Chick and Edgy Guy? Not exactly identical but very similar.The only counselors without a gener-swap counterpart, in my opinion are:

Kenny Reidell, Head Counselor:

In my opinion the two female characters that could fit this are Pam Roberts from Part V and Megan from Part 6. Pam helped run the halfway house and Megan was a counselor.

Chad Kensington, The Preppy Guy:

Melissa from Part 7 for sure.

Jenny Myers, The Girl Next Door:

The counterpart would be The Boyfriend, The Guy Next Door, Final Guy, The Charming Guy, etc. Just amalgamate some of the characteristics of the men that survived or had dated the final girl.

Tiffany Cox, The Flirty Girl:

The Dreamy Guy? The Dreamboat? Kevin Bacon from Part 1, in my opinion, because he's Kevin frickin Bacon. And Scott Cheny from Part 2. He pretty much did nothing but flirt with Terry for the whole movie.

The counselors we haven't seen yet are:

The Party Guy: Ted from Part 4, Chuck from Part 3, Cort from Part 6

The Mom: All the mom characters in each movie.

The Kid: Young Tommy and Reggie The Reckless(probably not gonna happen).

The Tough Guy/Girl: The bikers from part 3, the muggers from Part 8, the paintball players from Part 6.

The Old Kook: Crazy Ralph, the eyeball guy from Part 3, the cemetery caretaker from Part 6, the Deck Hand from part 8.

The Cop/Deputy/Sheriff: Garris from part 6, the many other cops throughout the series.

The Hunter: Rob from part 4, Tommy Jarvis(though he's his own guy now), Creighton Duke.

I think there are plenty of ideas to go around for future counselor DLC. I'm sure we will get all the archetypes eventually.

I think you missed my point. I realize there are male and female variants of certain types (like the edgy guy and rocker chick), but there is still no reason why there can't be a female Kenny, or a male AJ. The point being is they would just have identical stats, giving versatility in counselor appearance. They've already stated it's a little more difficult to add characters from the films due to budget, and they even had issues with older actors voicing younger roles.

At this point, I think they are going to stick with made up counselors, which I am completely fine with.

Also, I doubt they are going to keep adding more character tropes, aside from maybe one or two. Like I mentioned above, if they add too many tropes there will be very little differentiation between them. One or two DLC tropes is enough, but adding different characters skins per trope will alleviate lack of counselor variety in the long run.

@disco romance I didn't mean that they would literally add MELISSA the character from Part 7 or whatnot, I was just listing which characters were those tropes.

My post was to show that there are still plenty of new tropes to add that can have their own stats. I would rather have completely new counselor types before having re-skins of existing ones. Preferably all counselors would have unique stats.

The Preppy Guy likes this

11 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

@disco romance I didn't mean that they would literally add MELISSA the character from Part 7 or whatnot, I was just listing which characters were those tropes.

My post was to show that there are still plenty of new tropes to add that can have their own stats. I would rather have completely new counselor types before having re-skins of existing ones. Preferably all counselors would have unique stats.

But don't you think if they keep adding more they are going to run into the issue of having counselors or characters that are too similar to one another? We're already running into that problem now. I've already said it but I'll say it again, two more tropes are enough (the mean girl and the party animal. That's a solid cast of counselor types.)

I doubt we'd get 10 new counselors all in one shot or if ever. IF we get 10 new counselors total in the life of the game, that'd be a welcome surprise.

I'd expect to just see a few new ones in the future like the Mean Girl, the Stoner Guy etc. and possibly a few alts of existing archetypes as mentioned. But I don't think they need to be placed under "Bookish Girl" as an alt. They could just be named like "The Nerdy Girl" or "The Punk Guy" or something to let them have their own unique flair. Each movie had an "Edgy Guy" for example so to speak, but each one was vastly different and could be labeled independently without 'needing' to specifically all fall under the "Edgy Guy" Umbrella.

disco romance likes this

6 hours ago, disco romance said:

But don't you think if they keep adding more they are going to run into the issue of having counselors or characters that are too similar to one another? We're already running into that problem now. I've already said it but I'll say it again, two more tropes are enough (the mean girl and the party animal. That's a solid cast of counselor types.)

Of course eventually they will run out of tropes to use, but your solution is to just re-skin existing counselors. I'd rather they run out of new ones before they start doing re-skins. Like I said, there are at least:

Mean Girl

Party Animal

The Eccentric old Man

The Mom/parent

The Tough Guy

The Cop

The Hunter

That's 7 new counselor ideas. I'm sure there are other tropes too. There are plenty of new types to go around, and I think the stat system has more than enough room to make each counselor very different from each other.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Of course eventually they will run out of tropes to use, but your solution is to just re-skin existing counselors. I'd rather they run out of new ones before they start doing re-skins. Like I said, there are at least:

Mean Girl

Party Animal

The Eccentric old Man

The Mom/parent

The Tough Guy

The Cop

The Hunter

That's 7 new counselor ideas. I'm sure there are other tropes too. There are plenty of new types to go around, and I think the stat system has more than enough room to make each counselor very different from each other.

We can agree to disagree, but seven more tropes is too much. It seems like you're not taking into account some of the things I say, but I'll say it again. Characters like Deborah and AJ are already very similar, and Eric is just a weaker version of them. Adding any more than two more tropes is going to get ridiculous. Don't you think twelve is enough? Because I certainly do.

And no offense, but I don't want to play as a mom or an eccentric old man anyway.

6 hours ago, disco romance said:

We can agree to disagree, but seven more tropes is too much. It seems like you're not taking into account some of the things I say, but I'll say it again. Characters like Deborah and AJ are already very similar, and Eric is just a weaker version of them. Adding any more than two more tropes is going to get ridiculous. Don't you think twelve is enough? Because I certainly do.

And no offense, but I don't want to play as a mom or an eccentric old man anyway.

I haven't done the math, but if each counselor has 7 types of stats that range from 1-10 each, that's a HUGE amount of possible variation. Right now we have a lot of high stealth counselors, but so many high luck or high strength counselors. I'm not sure how to do the math to figure out the possible stat combinations but I believe there is way more than enough room for new variations.

And that's ok you don't want to play as the mom or eccentric old man. I don't care about playing as Lachappa but he's there for people that want him.

I think theres plenty of room for a lot more archetypes down the road, while keeping varied playstyles. To me, the counselors are mostly differentiated with their 2 highest stats. Right now we have:

Adam : Composure/Strenght

Brandon : Strenght/Stamina-Speed

Chad : Luck/Speed

Deborah : Repair/Stealth

Jenny : Composure/Luck

Vanessa : Speed/Stamina

A.J. Stealth/Composure-Repair

Kenny : Jack of all trades

Tiffany : Stealth/Stamina

Eric : Repair/Stealth

So theres still room for :

Strenght/Luck ; Strenght/Stealth ; Strenght/Repair

- Composure/Speed ; Composure/Stamina

- Stamina/Repair ; Stamina/Luck

- Speed/Stealth ; Speed/Repair

- Luck/Repair ; Luck/Stealth

And that's just accounting the two highest stats, when more variations can be made with specific weaknesses or how the rest of the points are distributed, and they could also shake things up by releasing an intentionally bad character as a challenge for players. I could see, off the top of my head : Small Town girl (Strenght/Repair), Mean girl (Luck/Stealth), Pothead (Composure/Stamina), Awkward guy (Speed/Stealth) that are all frequent tropes and would offer new playstyles. If they branch out and include non-teenager tropes, like people before said I could see the Mom (Strenght/Stealth) or a Crazy Ralph character (all 3s xd).

Of course 12 tropes, if they add the much requested Mean girl and Stoner, is enough, heck 10 is enough, but I don't see how we can be against them expanding the counselor roster as extensively as they can, and their stats offer enough diversity for them to create a lot more playstyles.

I still think the term "party animal" works better and universally than outright saying "stoner." Party animal can refer to drugs and alcohol, which alcohol was always a factor in every film.

@SexDrugs&Tea You nailed it. There's so much potential for new variaition. In addition to those highest stat types, there could also be more somewhat "averaged" types that don't go over 7 and under 3 in their stats. And disco romance is right, best to keep drug references away despite the nature of the series. Chuck, Ted, and Cort are the "party animal" types in my opinion. Only one of which was a stonger, to my recollection.

Survival and SexDrugs&Tea like this

5 hours ago, ItzToxiedaToxicAvenger said:

Instead of Stoner you could call them a 'Hippy'. F13 has a lot of dead hippies.

Party animal sounds better to me. Hippie is more associated with drugs and before the 80's, and not really a highlighted trope in the franchise.

7 minutes ago, disco romance said:

Party animal sounds better to me. Hippie is more associated with drugs and before the 80's, and not really a highlighted trope in the franchise.

Part 3 had them. 

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

A pot smoker is not a hippie.

That guy was a total hippie.  And so was the girl with the banana. 

There could be a party animal trope but a stoner is a common 80s slashers trope and are by no means party animals.

From how they're depicted (and personnal experience) they're more pictured staying in a corner and smiling stupidly and laughing at dumb stuff. Not exactly the life of the party xd

6 hours ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

There could be a party animal trope but a stoner is a common 80s slashers trope and are by no means party animals.

From how they're depicted (and personnal experience) they're more pictured staying in a corner and smiling stupidly and laughing at dumb stuff. Not exactly the life of the party xd

It's not that we don't think "stoners" should be in the game, it's that using the word "Stoner" invokes the idea of drugs, and the ESRB does NOT give Indie developers an inch of leeway in games. There's so much gore in this game that if there was one single nipple or one doobie or one WORD about drugs, BAM, Adult Only rating.

7 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It's not that we don't think "stoners" should be in the game, it's that using the word "Stoner" invokes the idea of drugs, and the ESRB does NOT give Indie developers an inch of leeway in games. There's so much gore in this game that if there was one single nipple or one doobie or one WORD about drugs, BAM, Adult Only rating.

The characters don't even have titles in the full game though. He could be called Johnny McJohnface, as long as they make him look like a stoner, dress like a typical stoner and make his voice lines a bit slurred or typically ''stonery'', they can make a Stoner trope with absolutely no reference to drugs.

EDIT : Like when I spoke to people in lobbies before games or stuff, people had no idea who I was talking about when I used the counselor titles (Flirty girl, Edgy guy, etc...) to reference the counselors. Those titles are known to the people who followed the game's development and the counselor reveals, but for the people just playing the game, the counselors are just Tiffany and Adam, etc... That's why I think if they release DLC (I feel like one of the first DLCs we will see is a mean girl and a stoner character, because of how much people asked for them), we will all know what the tropes being represented are but in the game they'll still just be Jane and John or whatever, no allusion to drugs whatsoever.

Edited by SexDrugs&Tea

Honestly, we have enough counselors as is, I would not want to see reskin counselors because having two people who are exactly the same except for sex/appearance wouldn't make any sense. However I would very much like to see a few more counselors, such as; The Rich Girl, and The Stoner, as for a "Survivor Guy" or a "Guy Next-door" I think Kenny sorta fits the final guy stereotype, he seems like a Paul(Part 2) or a Nick(Part7) type of character.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, The Preppy Guy said:

Honestly, we have enough counselors as is, I would not want to see reskin counselors because having two people who are exactly the same except for sex/appearance wouldn't make any sense. However I would very much like to see a few more counselors, such as; The Rich Girl, and The Stoner, as for a "Survivor Guy" or a "Guy Next-door" I think Kenny sorta fits the final guy stereotype, he seems like a Paul(Part 2) or a Nick(Part7) type of character.

I think we could do with some more counselors if possible. Aside from enriching the game, my thinking is that the more options we have for counselors, the less chance there is of seeing clones in each match. The ones I'd like to see most are Rich Girl and Stoner. Regarding gender re-skins, it appears to already be the case for some of the counselors, and the way it's done is logical. It's not just straight re-skins but thought has been put into how the stereotype would differ between genders. So I'm not opposed to the devs continuing that route, if they do plan on adding more. 

The Preppy Guy likes this

Mean/Bitchy girl (Stamina + Composure) and Stoner guy (Speed + Repair) would be good additions. 

She is fit, hence stamina, and dishes out a lot of shit, while being mostly unfazed by others returning the favor, hence composure. Doesn't know when to shut up and is used to having things done for her, so not a lot of stealth, strength or repair.

He would be fast and ultra focused on the task at hand, but hes easily spooked and clumsy, and the only heavy lifting hes done is lifting a joint to his lips. 

On 5/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, The Preppy Guy said:

It makes sense because it offers more diversity and solves the issue of "I don't want to share the same counselor as someone else" dilemma some people have complained about.