Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bumbo

Questions from somebody who missed beta

5 posts in this topic

So sad.  I knew the game was on its way but I missed the beta, the early trailers didn't seem very promising to me; I had a lot of reservations about Jason's powers and the wounds from That Other Game's early balance woes were too fresh for me to risk loving another.  So I wasn't looking.  I have some questions about the game since I wasn't able to answer them by testing them out.

1.  I see a lot of people going straight for the grab out of morph, but it seems like smacking them with your weapon would be easier and more productive.  Would you say that's true?  How much does hitting somebody help you run them down?

2. Was Vanessa as bad as people seem to think?  Watching vids I feel like you could just ignore her, since all she can really do is run away.  Will she be shit when people realize her strengths are only valid if Jason chooses to make them valid?

3.  On the same note, how hard are the "skill checks?"  That Other Game's skill checks are so easy that at this point in the game's lifecycle it's not uncommon to not get a single failure indication the entire game as killer. 

4.  How big of an impact does composure and fear have?  It seemed like hiding in props was pointless since half the time Jason can hear you or just hit the sense button to see where you are.  One of the things that turned me off when I watched the first trailer was where the guy opens the window and then hides under the bed, which seems like a smart idea except Jason can just sense to know he didn't really leave the house.  What's the best way to use hiding spots?

What?  By bad I mean unhealthy for the game, I see a lot of people saying she's OP.  If that's what you meant.

First of all, you can mention Dead by Daylight. There's no need to refer to it as 'That Other Game'.

1) Grabbing someone out of a Shift was a much faster way to take someone down. The only downside to it over slashing is that the counsellor may have a pocket knife. A full health counsellor took 3-4 slashes to take down, and they could hit back to temporarily stun you.

2) Yes. Her stamina and speed far outlasted anyone else's (except maybe Tiffany), and her stealth was crap, essentially allowing her to lead Jason to any other counsellors. Jason would definitely target them instead, as they are far easier to catch in a chase. She was in desperate need of a nerf. Not to mention the fact that the game had little variety in the counsellor choices.

3) Depends on your character's intelligence. AJ, Deborah and Tommy could fix the cars/phones in second due to how easy the checks were, while Jenny, Tiffany and Vanessa would have a lot more difficult time. The higher your intelligence, the bigger the success zones are, and the less you get.

4) Hiding in closets, beds, etc, was bugged in the beta. Your character would let out a obvious sound when Jason entered the room, regardless of your stealth and composure. It's apparently changed in the full version. AJ, Tommy and Tiffany can easily hide in corners with their high stealth, while Jenny with a 10/10 composure would be less likely to freak out and give away her position. I also believe that composure affected how fast you could break out of Jason's grasp, though I may be wrong.

DamonD7 and Arakos like this

^ You're right about Composure, it does also affect your chances of breaking free from a grab. Along with your counselor's health I think, unconfirmed there.

Vanessa was real strong to begin with, although also because people were trying to get the hang of playing Jason as well. Her stamina got knocked down a peg during the Beta and some post-Beta changes (throwing knives and traps, for two examples) are seen as clear ways to help handle a sprinter.

Charmin's video on How Not To Suck at Playing Counselors is very much worth watching all the way through, but I've time-coded this video to play at a certain point which should really illustrate a skill check and how it varies according to your Repair stat:

Poor Tiffany struggling with that fuse box!

Tyler659 likes this