Brigadius

No Maps, Minimal Gameplay what's the advertising strategy here

60 posts in this topic

I mainly interested in seeing some stills of the maps. We are only days away from launch and we have only seen one map and minimal gameplay, mostly just beta feeds with glitches and all. Just seems like a weird strategy to launch a game and want people to buy it on almost no information. For a mainly word of mouth advertising campaign you think you would put out some more images and videos(not full of bugs) for us to show perspective buyers. The average player will want to see something substantial before making a decision on buying and there is next to nothing to really show at X days out(pun intended). Steam has the most to show but it's all the same map and some kills footage. Why not put up the PAX video footage or other map stills so it doesn't look like it's all just repetitive. I can show my friends some beta streams but there are many bugs and it's not what you want to show as advertising.

I want to see some more of Packanack not just the main house. I want to see that giant stairwell that mark rolled down. I want see the new counselors in action.

This is not so much a complaint and a give me more topic. It's a why are you being so secretive about your game days before launch topic. Days out and still no console footage. It's bad enough that consoles can't preorder, I understand why, but they cant even see what the game looks like on the console they own. I want this game to have tons of players on all platforms so we can enjoy it and have many lobbies to choose from and not be waiting on a lobby to fill all the time. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I mainly interested in seeing some stills of the maps. We are only days away from launch and we have only seen one map and minimal gameplay, mostly just beta feeds with glitches and all. Just seems like a weird strategy to launch a game and want people to buy it on almost no information. For a mainly word of mouth advertising campaign you think you would put out some more images and videos(not full of bugs) for us to show perspective buyers. The average player will want to see something substantial before making a decision on buying and there is next to nothing to really show at X days out(pun intended). Steam has the most to show but it's all the same map and some kills footage. Why not put up the PAX video footage or other map stills so it doesn't look like it's all just repetitive. I can show my friends some beta streams but there are many bugs and it's not what you want to show as advertising.

I want to see some more of Packanack not just the main house. I want to see that giant stairwell that mark rolled down. I want see the new counselors in action.

This is not so much a complaint and a give me more topic. It's a why are you being so secretive about your game days before launch topic. Days out and still no console footage. It's bad enough that consoles can't preorder, I understand why, but they cant even see what the game looks like on the console they own. I want this game to have tons of players on all platforms so we can enjoy it and have many lobbies to choose from and not be waiting on a lobby to fill all the time. 

During the beta the only map available was Higgins Haven, so most of the maps available are of that. However, there is a procedurally generated element to the game each map, so things may change locations and not all maps will be the same. As for the remaining 2 maps, I expect we'll be getting our first look at those when that streamer event takes place. I expect we'll likely see that sometime next week to try and hype up the road to launch. There "might" be console gameplay in that mix. Can't say for certain as we know very little about the event itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ShankerOne said:

During the beta the only map available was Higgins Haven, so most of the maps available are of that. However, there is a procedurally generated element to the game each map, so things may change locations and not all maps will be the same. As for the remaining 2 maps, I expect we'll be getting our first look at those when that streamer event takes place. I expect we'll likely see that sometime next week to try and hype up the road to launch. There "might" be console gameplay in that mix. Can't say for certain as we know very little about the event itself.

They don't need to show entire maps layout, especially if it changes to some degree, just some more stills to show some variety would be nice. It's a different camp so it should have some different looking buildings and a slightly different environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure of the strategy myself but I imagine they'll do some sort of build-up in the last week.

I'm going to avoid any new map footage if there is, looking forward to seeing it in-game.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't make sense to reveal all the game details before you launch the game in about a week.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

It doesn't make sense to reveal all the game details before you launch the game in about a week.

Not all but some would be nice. The game has very little about it released. Last time a game company was so secretive I ended up with no man's sky. 

Not to say they are being secretive. They are fairly open but they are holding a good deal back so close to launch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not going to reveal that stuff, as I'm pretty sure they want to leave the game as a surprise for people, rather than spoon feeding and ruining the surprise.  Discovery, is a beautiful thing.  They have done plenty of marketing already.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Not all but some would be nice. The game has very little about it released. Last time a game company was so secretive I ended up with no man's sky. 

There's not really much else to reveal. It's a 3.5gb game. I know you're looking for some new stills/etc and I wouldn't mind seeing some but there's only 3 maps. Outside of not seeing much of two of them, there really isn't much we haven't seen.

I don't think it's so much secretive as there really isn't a lot of content and they're holding back the little bit we haven't seen for "player discovery". Mind you, streamers will likely ruin the discovery thing before we get a chance to jump in.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

There's not really much else to reveal. It's a 3.5gb game. I know you're looking for some new stills/etc and I wouldn't mind seeing some but there's only 3 maps. Outside of not seeing much of two of them, there really isn't much we haven't seen.

I don't think it's so much secretive as there really isn't a lot of content and they're holding back the little bit we haven't seen for "player discovery". Mind you, streamers will likely ruin the discovery thing before we get a chance to jump in.

streamings way worse for discovery than studio released pics and videos. Like say i'm looking to buy call of duty. They don't release images and video of one map because that wouldn't be very appealing but they don't give it all away either. You still have to find the good places on your own. There's only three maps but if they made a montage of all three you get a quick peek at the different settings without having to destroy discovery.

Example

I think i counted 5 maps, various weapons, streak rewards no discovery ruined. Just quick views of the maps and gameplay. Streaming is going to show everything. I can't say i really like that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

There's not really much else to reveal. It's a 3.5gb game. I know you're looking for some new stills/etc and I wouldn't mind seeing some but there's only 3 maps. Outside of not seeing much of two of them, there really isn't much we haven't seen.

I don't think it's so much secretive as there really isn't a lot of content and they're holding back the little bit we haven't seen for "player discovery". Mind you, streamers will likely ruin the discovery thing before we get a chance to jump in.

No one's making you guys watch someone's stream.  Streaming pretty much has nothing to do with this conversation.  Streaming is literally for folks that want to watch horror, and be entertained, because A.) They are too afraid to play themselves  B.)  They want to maybe learn some ways to play  C.)  They want to play with the streamer.  D.)  They want to simply be entertained and that's it.

If you're watching someone's stream on the day of release and you decide to ruin something for yourself.. then that's your own fault, and nobody elses.
Nobody is forcing you to watch livestreams. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Laphin said:

No one's making you guys watch someone's stream.  Streaming pretty much has nothing to do with this conversation.  Streaming is literally for folks that want to watch horror, and be entertained, because A.) They are too afraid to play themselves  B.)  They want to maybe learn some ways to play  C.)  They want to play with the streamer.  D.)  They want to simply be entertained and that's it.

If you're watching someone's stream on the day of release and you decide to ruin something for yourself.. then that's your own fault, and nobody elses.
Nobody is forcing you to watch livestreams. 

Well, an indirect side-effect of streaming are click bait sites spoiling with headlines/thumbnails. Any newcomer who might just Google it can be hit with a plethora of spoilers. Any oldtimer has to stay away from the internet because of those. Not the streamer's fault, but it is reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all up for surprises..It just makes the game that much better when you discover them on your own.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TWarner said:

I'm all up for surprises..It just makes the game that much better when you discover them on your own.

Yup. Playing Injustice 2 now with minimal spoilers(character roster, etc.) and it is certainly nice to be surprised. Hope most things stay under wraps with this. Only 10 days, no one has streamed anything yet, should be pretty easy to keep things a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Laphin said:

No one's making you guys watch someone's stream.  Streaming pretty much has nothing to do with this conversation.  Streaming is literally for folks that want to watch horror, and be entertained, because A.) They are too afraid to play themselves  B.)  They want to maybe learn some ways to play  C.)  They want to play with the streamer.  D.)  They want to simply be entertained and that's it.

If you're watching someone's stream on the day of release and you decide to ruin something for yourself.. then that's your own fault, and nobody elses.
Nobody is forcing you to watch livestreams. 

 

4 hours ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Well, an indirect side-effect of streaming are click bait sites spoiling with headlines/thumbnails. Any newcomer who might just Google it can be hit with a plethora of spoilers. Any oldtimer has to stay away from the internet because of those. Not the streamer's fault, but it is reality.

What Ban said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they showed some of pakanack lodge during pax east and wes tweeted that they added the bell and showed a picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

 

What Ban said.

I hate that crap. Like when I start watching a show and see an actor/actress and try to find out who the actor is and google them to find out more about them by typing in the show plus character name plus actor to find out who the actor is and get SHIT TON of show spoilers at the top of my google search results.

 

Go to google and type in Made Up Show John Smith Actor and then see "JOHN SMITH KILLED IN FINALE OF MADE UP SHOW!" "ACTOR JOHN DOE TALKS ABOUT HIS DEATH ON MADE UP SHOW!", "ACTOR JOHN DOE TALKS ABOUT JOHN SMITH'S BETRAYAL AND SHOCKING REVEAL AS SHOWS MAIN VILLAIN!!"

It's like if you start watching/playing something after release, you can't even ATTEMPT to google it in any way shape or form unless you want to get bombarded with spoilers. Same with going on Facebook or whatnot the day after an ep airs you haven't seen, otherwise you get people posting in your feed "OMEG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED JOHN SMITH LAST NIGHT!!! HOLY SHIT!!!"

 

This is an example of a tv show but obviously it applies to games as well. Resident Evil 7's ending was spoiled 2 weeks prior to release and was all over the internet for example. There was tons of click bait articles about it on google as soon as you even typed in "Resident Evil", didn't even have to type in 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

I hate that crap. Like when I start watching a show and see an actor/actress and try to find out who the actor is and google them to find out more about them by typing in the show plus character name plus actor to find out who the actor is and get SHIT TON of show spoilers at the top of my google search results.

 

Go to google and type in Made Up Show John Smith Actor and then see "JOHN SMITH KILLED IN FINALE OF MADE UP SHOW!" "ACTOR JOHN DOE TALKS ABOUT HIS DEATH ON MADE UP SHOW!", "ACTOR JOHN DOE TALKS ABOUT JOHN SMITH'S BETRAYAL AND SHOCKING REVEAL AS SHOWS MAIN VILLAIN!!"

It's like if you start watching/playing something after release, you can't even ATTEMPT to google it in any way shape or form unless you want to get bombarded with spoilers. Same with going on Facebook or whatnot the day after an ep airs you haven't seen, otherwise you get people posting in your feed "OMEG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED JOHN SMITH LAST NIGHT!!! HOLY SHIT!!!"

 

This is an example of a tv show but obviously it applies to games as well. Resident Evil 7's ending was spoiled 2 weeks prior to release and was all over the internet for example. There was tons of click bait articles about it on google as soon as you even typed in "Resident Evil", didn't even have to type in 7. 

Completely agree. Even when I look up old movies Google spoils what the monster looks like with a string of images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is an annoying fact of the instant reaction media and world we live in these days. Thoughts can be posted within seconds

If no-one streamed the game at all, you'd still get people putting stuff up on Twitter and YouTube right away, I'm sure.

It's tough, best way is to avoid social media as much as possible near to release date but nothing is 100%. I got completely spoiled on The Force Awakens by some random jerk putting in spoilers on a totally non-Star Wars related video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the rumors that Freddy will be involved somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cozmos001 said:

How about the rumors that Freddy will be involved somehow. 

Won't be happening. Freddy is a completely different license buddy. Check out Wes's post in the "About" section of the forum for an indepth explanation as to why. ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cozmos001 said:

How about the rumors that Freddy will be involved somehow. 

Lesson Learned:  Don't listen to rumors. ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the release so I can stop reading marketing buzzwords and phrases like "spoon feeding" and "player discovery." More info on basic game mechanics and maps should have been released but at this point we are so close to launch it doesn't even matter.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the reason they arent advertising the game much, is that they are waiting for the sp content,and then theyll start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, antonz said:

Perhaps the reason they arent advertising the game much, is that they are waiting for the sp content,and then theyll start.

Not advertising the game much?  Have you guys seen all the stuff they been posting to their twitter and youtube?  
I think some of you are forgetting that this is a 20 some odd man team here.  They don't have money to throw out for marketing every which direction.  The money is going to the game.  It's every one of us' job to market the game, and help them spread the word.  So... LET'S GET IT ON.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

Looking forward to the release so I can stop reading marketing buzzwords and phrases like "spoon feeding" and "player discovery." More info on basic game mechanics and maps should have been released but at this point we are so close to launch it doesn't even matter.

Ditto. I've had my fill.

1 hour ago, Laphin said:

Not advertising the game much?  Have you guys seen all the stuff they been posting to their twitter and youtube?  
I think some of you are forgetting that this is a 20 some odd man team here.  They don't have money to throw out for marketing every which direction.  The money is going to the game.  It's every one of us' job to market the game, and help them spread the word.  So... LET'S GET IT ON.

A lot of your posts imply folks aren't capable of understanding some simple basics that you believe anyone should understand. Instead of using phrases like "some of you"- try addressing the specific poster or posters you're replying to instead of laying out a condescending blanket statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now