PowellCampsNAKED

Streaming the game without Copyright issues!?

26 posts in this topic

YouTube is pretty ridiculous nowadays with limitations and copyright strikes and so on!  Anyways you can monetize videos or streams but if YouTube finds material that is copyrighted it will shut the monetize off and still allow you to post the material but no monetized funding goes to you only the original owner, which to me is fine. Now there is something worse than that which is a strike, get 3 of those and your channel gets deleted! It sucks because I stream battlefront and it constantly gets my monetize crossed off due to the music in the game! Now to me I only have 50 subs lol so whatever but huge YouTube streamers it would suck!

I was curious if anyone knows if F13 will have obvious copyright encounters with YouTube or Twitch?

11 minutes ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

YouTube is pretty ridiculous nowadays with limitations and copyright strikes and so on!  Anyways you can monetize videos or streams but if YouTube finds material that is copyrighted it will shut the monetize off and still allow you to post the material but no monetized funding goes to you only the original owner, which to me is fine. Now there is something worse than that which is a strike, get 3 of those and your channel gets deleted! It sucks because I stream battlefront and it constantly gets my monetize crossed off due to the music in the game! Now to me I only have 50 subs lol so whatever but huge YouTube streamers it would suck!

I was curious if anyone knows if F13 will have obvious copyright encounters with YouTube or Twitch?

It shouldn't. The beta seemed to go well with no strikes. And they are kinda giving streamers and youtubers early access. Wouldn't makes sense for them to do that then shut down the videos for music or some other stupid shit.

But everyone should be golden when it comes to that.

Considering the only advertising they plan to do is through word of mouth and their happy partnership with streamers, you won't have any issue streaming or making F13 videos on youtube or twitch.

I believe they've said you can disable the music in the game from the radios for streaming. I think that's probably the only thing that will flag.

They seriously need to update copyright laws to allow for this sort of thing. It's kind of silly. As if someone would sit through the entirety of a stream just to hear a few seconds of a song drowned out by screams. Serious damage to the IP there I'm telling ya. If anything, music makers probably get sales from exposure in streams.

RandallFlagg likes this

2 hours ago, ShankerOne said:

I believe they've said you can disable the music in the game from the radios for streaming. I think that's probably the only thing that will flag.

They seriously need to update copyright laws to allow for this sort of thing. It's kind of silly. As if someone would sit through the entirety of a stream just to hear a few seconds of a song drowned out by screams. Serious damage to the IP there I'm telling ya. If anything, music makers probably get sales from exposure in streams.

I saw this mentioned also- for streamers, you'll have to disable the radio's music in a menu or something.

You should be OK usually C&D letters or cease and desist letters are issued and content is then flagged. The team has stated they want the game to be streamed so take down notices should not be an issue resulting in content to be flagged.

RandallFlagg likes this

@|heartbreaker they are not giving early access to streamers!

@ikarikh not true I did a reaction video of the release date video and got my monetize shut off due to the crazy lixx song! Now if that plays in game all streamers loose their rights! And to shut music off in game would also suck! 

@JPops so if I argue (button) that it's ok I should be ok against the crazy lixx song?

26 minutes ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

@|heartbreaker they are not giving early access to streamers!

@ikarikh not true I did a reaction video of the release date video and got my monetize shut off due to the crazy lixx song! Now if that plays in game all streamers loose their rights! And to shut music off in game would also suck! 

@JPops so if I argue (button) that it's ok I should be ok against the crazy lixx song?

They've already given early access to certain streamers.

As mentioned before, the game will have an option to disable playing the songs from the radio.

I know this is upsetting for some folks but musicans gave the game a license to use their songs- they didn't give a license to everyone with a YouTube account to use their songs.

1 hour ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

Therein lies your problem. Streaming a game is one thing, streaming copyrighted material and making money off of it is another. If you didn't have monetization on for your channel when streaming the crazy lixx stuff, i doubt it'd be an issue. 

But they do give you a choice, either turn your monetization off when covering stuff with copyrighted music or simply turn the radio off in-game when streaming. 

6 hours ago, JPops said:

You should be OK usually C&D letters or cease and desist letters are issued and content is then flagged. The team has stated they want the game to be streamed so take down notices should not be an issue resulting in content to be flagged.

Problem there is YouTube isn't quite so demanding when dropping a hammer. Music labels and such are separate from the actual game, so let's say that Crazy Linx and Misfit has songs that appear for about 10s when a councilor or Jason recording the session walks by. That clip is then uploaded to YouTube. The record label or someone representing it will then flag the video either manually or through the extremely heavily-handed automated system on behalf of the label (not the game dev) and either claim the video for its own or inflict a copyright strike instead. The ladder being the worse as it can get your channel completely shut down after 3, which if you have 3 videos posted and claimed at once, bend over.

And it is hilarious as it is pretty much what I said earlier. It can all be done for a short 5-10s part of the video where the person recording walks by the radio playing the music that is probably hardly distinguishable and then drowned out with screams. And this sort of thing happens "all the time" with not just video games but other things. A sad fact is that there are whole businesses built around this shady practice because YouTube makes it so easy to file a fraudulent claim (and everything I've said so far is total fair use under the DMCA).

TLDR: Doesn't matter what Gun/Illfionic do. If they don't own the music itself and it belongs to a label, you can expect they'll end up claiming any videos that dare show a short 5-10s scene where the barely distinguishable music from one of their signed groups happens to be incidentally caught playing for a few seconds on the radio in a cabin.

Another perspective to keep in mind:

When a game (or movie or ad) gets the license for a song it's because the license holder has approved of their content being used inside of the game/film/etc.

With YouTube, you could potentially have your song playing while a racist, homophobic pedophile (making related commentary) plays said game. That's an extreme example but it's the license holder's choice what they're willing to approve and a YouTube video is technically "new content" without their approval.

5 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Big streamers can get away with playing the music but smaller streamers have no power to fight back. I wish there were alternative royalty free tracks to play.

It doesn't matter if you're a big streamer or not it's still copyright!

and I never heard about early access I think that's miss information! 

And my point about turning the monetize on and off is there are Big streamers that rely on getting paid to stream! 

And Jpops I'm referring to both streaming and my reaction, just curious about my reaction video because I see tons of others including big YouTubers that did the same video I wonder if they all got their video monetized shut off as well!?

say Laphin is streaming the game and someone turns on the radio then boom his video gets unmonetized!

5 minutes ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

It doesn't matter if you're a big streamer or not it's still copyright!

and I never heard about early access I think that's miss information! 

And my point about turning the monetize on and off is there are Big streamers that rely on getting paid to stream! 

And Jpops I'm referring to both streaming and my reaction, just curious about my reaction video because I see tons of others including big YouTubers that did the same video I wonder if they all got their video monetized shut off as well!?

say Laphin is streaming the game and someone turns on the radio then boom his video gets unmonetized!

There are streamers who have early access, it's a fact at this point.

RandallFlagg likes this

Twitch streamers will never have to worry about music, because Twitch does not have copyright scanners on their platform.  They check streams manually if enough people report it.  The most Twitch does is mute music in the archive "AFTER" the stream has ended.

On youtube however, this is a different story. At any point, on anyday, your video could be scanned and marked for demonetization (or it could be BLOCKED), doesn't matter if you're a big streamer or small, the copyright robots are not picky nor prejudice

The music for the most part (for right now) is fine to stream, but who's to say that doesn't change down the road.

Stream on Twitch to completely avoid this worry.

ShankerOne likes this

Well YouTube is notoriously strict. However, law does allow "fair use" of material but there is red tape for sure whenever trying to prove it. I am not a lawyer on copyrights so I can not tell you 100% on where the limitations begin and end. 

22 minutes ago, JPops said:

Well YouTube is notoriously strict. However, law does allow "fair use" of material but there is red tape for sure whenever trying to prove it. I am not a lawyer on copyrights so I can not tell you 100% on where the limitations begin and end. 

I agree with Laphin I think if we were to go and push the limits especially streamers Twitch is a safer bet but as far as Youtube I should try and keep my channel clean (copyright wise) although lately streaming games I've been drawing about 3-5 people which to me is amazing seeing how I only have 50 subs!

i did read about something where on YouTube you are allowed to use copyrighted material if you are "Documenting" it!  So in my book if we are talking over copyrighted material (streaming / reactions / basically talking about it) isn't that technically "Documenting it???

Only problem is we can't argue back to youtubes automatic filters! 

@Laphin Im curious if Gun Media has talked with the Artists on their game and maybe have some sort of an agreement with the record Labels to be lenient on the copyright that's being used in the game as far as us players streamers and content providers?

2 hours ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

I agree with Laphin I think if we were to go and push the limits especially streamers Twitch is a safer bet but as far as Youtube I should try and keep my channel clean (copyright wise) although lately streaming games I've been drawing about 3-5 people which to me is amazing seeing how I only have 50 subs!

i did read about something where on YouTube you are allowed to use copyrighted material if you are "Documenting" it!  So in my book if we are talking over copyrighted material (streaming / reactions / basically talking about it) isn't that technically "Documenting it???

Only problem is we can't argue back to youtubes automatic filters! 

@Laphin Im curious if Gun Media has talked with the Artists on their game and maybe have some sort of an agreement with the record Labels to be lenient on the copyright that's being used in the game as far as us players streamers and content providers?

Unfortunately they cannot control that.. and neither can the artists.  It's the producers that control that... and there are FAKE copyright holders all over youtube that will monetize your video or block it, and they aren't even the real rights holders.. they are someone trying to steal your money.  So.. it's probably just 100% best, to stay off youtube.  This is the whole reason I moved over. 

PowellCampsNAKED likes this

4 hours ago, Laphin said:

Unfortunately they cannot control that.. and neither can the artists.  It's the producers that control that... and there are FAKE copyright holders all over youtube that will monetize your video or block it, and they aren't even the real rights holders.. they are someone trying to steal your money.  So.. it's probably just 100% best, to stay off youtube.  This is the whole reason I moved over. 

On Twitch isn't it that you need a big youtube following before you can monetize your twitch videos? For a small time guy it seems like a catch 22. Stream on youtube and don't make money until you have enough subs to make money elsewhere.

lHeartBreakerl likes this

A lot of my friends want to PS4 Share record and upload their F13th gameplay videos to youtube. video and audio better not be blocked.  Koei blocks audio from their games, and some others block even video from share uploads, which is a dumb thing to do, when even PC gamers will still upload gameplay on youtube.

so there shouldn't be any blocks on PS4's Share record and youtube upload features for this game.

18 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

On Twitch isn't it that you need a big youtube following before you can monetize your twitch videos? For a small time guy it seems like a catch 22. Stream on youtube and don't make money until you have enough subs to make money elsewhere.

I'm not looking to make any money on YouTube because I only have what 50 subs I'm just pointing out that they in monetized my videos do to Star Wars music in game! I only monetized my videos in case some day they jump way up! 

i just hope I don't get a strike for f13 music playing 

17 minutes ago, PowellCampsNAKED said:

I'm not looking to make any money on YouTube because I only have what 50 subs I'm just pointing out that they in monetized my videos do to Star Wars music in game! I only monetized my videos in case some day they jump way up! 

i just hope I don't get a strike for f13 music playing 

Only music you'll likely have to worry about is the radio stuff from Crazy Linx and Misfit. Upside is I'm pretty sure Wes or someone else said you could turn that off if you're streaming. So while it sucks, that takes care of that one problem. All you have to worry about next is the false claim brigade.

22 hours ago, ShankerOne said:

True I hear music in games and movies quite frequently, then seek them out and purchase them once I've located their info.