Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beetlejuice91

Question about who owns Friday the 13th

28 posts in this topic

I was wondering if someone could answer my question about who owns the rights to Friday the 13th. I know it was a Paramount property until they sold it to New Line Cinema in 1991 I think. It was property of New Line until after Freddy vs Jason. This is where I'm confused, Platinum Dumes produced the remake while also having help from both Paramount and New Line. New Line sold sequel rights to Paramount but no sequel was made.

Who does it belong to now?

1 hour ago, ShankerOne said:

Kinda makes you have to ask how a copyright change could affect the game down the road should it happen. 

From my very limited understanding it shouldn't affect any previously created aggreement but it would obviously affect any potential for a sequel.

It's a shame there is no clear answer as of you. Doubt we will see the 'new' movie however as I am sure the rights were only until 2018 (although could be to the end of 2018) which would mean if it is at least not in the works by then we miss out on that - at least we would have the game to tide us over until then :)

8 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

Is it still a case of someone owns the rights to the characters and then someone owns the rights to the "Friday the 13th" name?

I'm pretty sure with the film rights reverting back to New Line they'll lose the name again as I think Paramount owns the "Friday the 13th" name.

6 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I'm pretty sure with the film rights reverting back to New Line they'll lose the name again as I think Paramount owns the "Friday the 13th" name.

That fucking sucks. 

bewareofbears likes this

1 minute ago, SupaKilla said:

So next movie title:

"Return of Jason" or "Return to Crystal Lake"? :D 

You're probably right.

Like the Chucky movies... Bride of, Seed of, Curse of, Cult of... They must have a rights issue there too.

5 hours ago, SupaKilla said:

So next movie title:

"Return of Jason" or "Return to Crystal Lake"? :D 

Jason strikes back?

5 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

You're probably right.

Like the Chucky movies... Bride of, Seed of, Curse of, Cult of... They must have a rights issue there too.

Well those movies make up for it by genre shifting for the most part. 

Yeah, you'd think that buying characters and story would get you the title too. Nope. And it sucks.

17 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Jason strikes back?

Well those movies make up for it by genre shifting for the most part. 

Yeah, you'd think that buying characters and story would get you the title too. Nope. And it sucks.

Agreed.

If I was making new Jason movies I'd just call it "Jason":

Jason

Jason II

Etc.

Just now, bewareofbears said:

Agreed.

If I was making new Jason movies I'd just call it "Jason":

Jason

Jason II

Etc.

I personally don't like it, but it worked for Rambo and Logan.

1 minute ago, Risinggrave said:

I personally don't like it, but it worked for Rambo and Logan.

That was my thought.

I prefer Friday the 13th myself but I'd be fine with "Jason". People always call them Jason movies anyway.

1 minute ago, bewareofbears said:

That was my thought.

I prefer Friday the 13th myself but I'd be fine with "Jason". People always call them Jason movies anyway.

That's true. We used to say "Want to play Jason?" when we play our version of F13 tag in the woods.

But it still doesn't feel right to me. If I owned the rights, I'd try to find a suitable horror title that fits and just start using that in lieu of F13. 

Zombie79 likes this

2 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

That's true. We used to say "Want to play Jason?" when we play our version of F13 tag in the woods.

But it still doesn't feel right to me. If I owned the rights, I'd try to find a suitable horror title that fits and just start using that in lieu of F13. 

Something about Crystal Lake would work for me.

Cunningham owns the IP and or franchise rights. Its his universe and his ideas for other people to play with if he sees fit. The movie rights are probably still Paramounts, last I heard anyway. Im sure for interactive media, Gun/Illphonic is sole holder for anything currently and anything for the future. Look at it sort of like Marvel, Marvels owns the IP, yet Sony, FOX and Disney fight over the MCU. They each have been granted certain rights for certain things. Its enough to make your head spin. I just wanna know who they have to holler at to get LJNs right to incorporate things from the NES version. I WANT PURPLE JASON!!!! :D

Zombie79 likes this

On 5/16/2017 at 8:49 AM, Risinggrave said:

We did the same thing as kids.  My cousins had a cornfield in their backyard and we would play in that(the adults frowned on it).  We also did it up in a lake in Wisconsin.  Had an actual old hockey mask.  Good times lol. 

Risinggrave and DamonD7 like this

1 hour ago, Gdain said:

We did the same thing as kids.  My cousins had a cornfield in their backyard and we would play in that(the adults frowned on it).  We also did it up in a lake in Wisconsin.  Had an actual old hockey mask.  Good times lol. 

I tell you there is no terror so much as being chased like that. You know the guy behind the hockey mask is your pal, but that base impulse to beat feet kicks in and you're off on an adrenaline surge. 

Sadly we never had a cornfield, but the woods worked well enough. And good times for sure. 

DamonD7 and Gdain like this

On 5/16/2017 at 6:49 AM, Risinggrave said:

Used to do that too with my siblings... It was like this crazy version of tag and Jason's mom's shrine was the base. So ridiculous, but you had to repeatedly say "Jason it's your mother, Jason it's your mother!" to get him to leave the base. I still tease my sister about it all the time because she was so little and pronounced it "Jaysuhn its yuh muddahh, Jaysuhn its yuh muddahh..." hahah

Risinggrave and DamonD7 like this

11 hours ago, Komatose1313 said:

Cunningham owns the IP and or franchise rights. Its his universe and his ideas for other people to play with if he sees fit. The movie rights are probably still Paramounts, last I heard anyway. Im sure for interactive media, Gun/Illphonic is sole holder for anything currently and anything for the future. Look at it sort of like Marvel, Marvels owns the IP, yet Sony, FOX and Disney fight over the MCU. They each have been granted certain rights for certain things. Its enough to make your head spin. I just wanna know who they have to holler at to get LJNs right to incorporate things from the NES version. I WANT PURPLE JASON!!!! :D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Paramount got back the film rights and still has them. There was a deal a while back where New Line gave back the Jason rights in exchange for being able to co-produce "Interstellar" with Paramount. At the time, as has been said, New Line only had the rights to "Jason" and Paramount still had the right to the title "Friday the 13th".

I bet Gun has a limited, non-exclusive license. That's usually how it works with things like this. The IP holder would never want to limit their options as far as interactive goes... it's how Mortal Kombat was able to license Jason... their deal was non-exclusive too. 

I totally agree w/ you Komatose re: LJN. That company has folded and been folded into so many other companies. The latest is that Acclaim Entertainment bought it and closed it down, which raises a lot of questions... Is LJN's option for the game still viable? How are merchandisers able to license Purple Jason for toys? If, for example, Gun was to try to license the old game in an effort to update it as an extra on this game (I doubt they'd go down that route, but it would be awesome), what hoops would they need to go through? Head spinning indeed. I'd kill for Purple Jason in this new game! hahah! Did you ever see the video for "Friday the 13th: The Game: The Movie"? Totally awesome.

Looks like I was wrong, New Line doesn't seem to be particularly involved other than being a distributor:

http://www.slashfilm.com/warner-bros-gave-up-friday-the-13th-and-south-park-rights-for-piece-of-christopher-nolans-interstellar/

It appears Paramount has the films right but, depending on when a film is made, Warner Bros. has some sort of stake in them.

Edit:

Basically things seem be a tangled web of confusion with the players being:

Horror, Inc. - Sean S. Cunningham's company, which is currently in a legal battle with original screenwriter Victor Miller over rights.

Paramount - I was pretty sure they owned the film rights to the title "Friday the 13th"

Warner Bros. - I have no idea other than that they own Netherrealm and that's likely how Jason made it into Mortal Kombat.

Platinum Dunes - I don't know again. I was under the impression that if they didn't make the film that was recently cancelled then they would lose rights.

New Line - Still involved as a limited distributor?

So... it's a clusterfuck. Count our lucky stars this game is happening and don't hold your breath for a new film.

Zombie79 likes this

It's a total spaghetti ball.

Randy's mentioned what a pain in the ass it's been at time to get permissions from lawyers and sources whenever they want to post a image or video or the like. Not so much that it's difficult to get the approval, more that they have to keep going back and forth and waiting for responses to things.

Can't remember what it was, but I think there was something where they had to get special dispensation to get it in the game as it was out of license...ach, wish I could remember what. Maybe the JGTH look, even?

Zombie79 likes this

It does make you wonder how Gun Media was able to get the rights not just to make this game ( getting the rights from Sean Cunningham) but to also use the settings and all sorts of other IP from the series, including Tommy Jarvis.  

I can't imagine a lot of these details fall under the purview of Sean Cunningham.  The settings and the Tommy Jarvis character from the sequels were specifically parts of the film adaptations of Sean's property  and have their own writers and Directors.  I would guess that the contribution of other writers and directors for the sequels were hired work-for-hire and that the resultant proceeds of their efforts were owned by Paramount.

But did that mean that Gun Media needed to get a license from Paramount to put such series specific details into the game? Cunningham didn't create Tommy Jarvis, for instance, so they would've had to have acquired a separate license for material in the sequels – and I'm not just referring to getting Thom Matthews's  likeness license.

I would love to see Gun Media break down for us exactly how they got the rights to each and every detail of the game. How did they get the right to recreate Higgins Haven  verbatim, for instance.