106 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

AWhy are we even discussing the toxicity of the community? Yes it is, sometimes, let's work on that, but that topic is smoke and mirrors.

Two issues pushed Ben to intervene :

1) The Discord thread, that had devovled into a bashing of Rainskull. I'm not invested in that debate, I don't even know what Discord is and I'm not interested, but I don't think I agree when Ben says we can't complain about anyone but the devs. That would be true if they ran their own Discord, but they don't, so if people have issues with how it's run, they should have the right to voice them (Disclaimer, I myself have no idea what the situation is, and I think that it's really cool that a younger fan is so invested in this project and is helping the devs coordinate).

Be careful with saying "Bashing". Calling out Rainskull can be seen as "bashing" him, yeah, but it's just people being honest as well. This is a thread about the Discord and who owns the Discord? Rainskull. He's most likely going to me a topic of discussion in a thread about his Discord. If myself or others don't think he handles the Discord correctly, I believe we can say it as long as it doesn't turn into "Idiot" "He's a [this and that]". 

Just realize in a thread about his Discord, which is known to have complaints, expect complaints against Rainskull and/or the staff.

People are excited for the game and that's great. But patience still needs to exist at every turn. If not, things are going to get a LOT worse post-launch.

I'll admit I've reacted in a toxic manner to members I've perceived as impatient or entitled. It won't happen anymore.

But everyone just needs to take a deep breath. The game is out in 2 weeks tomorrow. All questions will be answered, and we'll all receive everything we have coming to us. There's no need to attack the devs about keys and when certain DLC will be out / revealed, let alone why they're not posting here as much.

Like I said, the best thing we can do as members here is help the communities grow - Both here and on other platforms. 

I'll put my 2 cents in on the Discord.

The F13 Discord, DID start out with some folks that I could say, were a little too gungho about modding and didn't have any real "mod experience" or real world community managerial experience.  So what you got were people that saw a 'rule', and when one person broke it, in the slightest, ... let's say they were a little too passionate in their defenses (in public chat, even).  Was it a turn off?? Sure... I watched some of the mods AS a mod, and it was pretty much a turn-off.   I talked to Rainskull about these things, because it's negative, and no community should have that kind of, what I like to call, *Negative Authority* surrounding it... it creates bad atmosphere for a chat, and puts a negative stink in the air, especially for new people watching.

No mod should make people feel uncomfortable, calling them out in public chat, and making this big stink.. it ruins the vibe of the entire chat, especially for folks trying to have conversation.  They should be addressed private, proper.. and if they don't catch the DM message, they can be told to refer to it in the chat without disclosing the problem.
Thankfully we had a mod meeting, and so far, after that day, all of that mess has toned down immensely. 

ON THE OTHER HAND... There are a lot of trolls that roll through the discord, and when you consider the amount of folks that come through being passive aggressive,  sarcastic remarks to other users, tossing negative comments toward other users, and sometimes direct hate, political, or racial slurs... these people have to be dealt with appropriately to keep the chat cleaned up.

I know the mods, while they were very (TOO) passionate at the start, and they were trying to keep an eye on trolls.. I think they would blow the whistle too harshely at first, and not give folks a chance...  But at the same time.. if you are new to a community, regardless of platform, and you roll up in there giving a terrible first impression.. people are going to keep an eye on you.  

5 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

Be careful with saying "Bashing". Calling out Rainskull can be seen as "bashing" him, yeah, but it's just people being honest as well. This is a thread about the Discord and who owns the Discord? Rainskull. He's most likely going to me a topic of discussion in a thread about his Discord. If myself or others don't think he handles the Discord correctly, I believe we can say it as long as it doesn't turn into "Idiot" "He's a [this and that]". 

Just realize in a thread about his Discord, which is known to have complaints, expect complaints against Rainskull and/or the staff.

While I agree, there has to be a line in the sand.

I don't agree with the way the moderators or even Rainskull run the Discord all the time, in fact often times I think it can be a bit over-sensitive (though considering my form of humor I can understand why xD) about things... like one time when the Discord was going nuts over whether or not a set of numbers was a symbol of white supremacy.

But this is a dangerous road to lead on, because then we can end up getting personal attacks on Rainskull.  It doesn't take long for criticism of practice to turn into criticism of character.  And if the practice itself an unnecessary thing to criticize and isn't a big deal, the faster it will devolve into attack of character.

The discord just needs to stop taking itself so seriously...

The so-called #f13-discussion thread is really more #off-topic these days. The mods themselves are guilty of it. Yet they seem oddly selective of who they warn.

I can see that being a big turn off to potential members. And I have seen Rainskull be fairly rude to several people...Maybe it's because he's been doing it a while / has a high guard against trolls. But I've seen plenty of undeserved warnings and such slung around there.

Someone called it "cliquey"...That's accurate.

Trust me, I've given strong guidance to the Discord moderating team as well. They are not Gun affiliated, they are not sponsored by us, they are not our community. They are theirs. The same can be said for the 10,000 person strong Facebook group that's been created, or the several thousand member groups on PlayStation, Steam and Xbox. They all are their own communities. Discord, Reddit and others are easy for us to access and spend time in, and I've offered insight when needed on how to work with people. 

The fact remains; they are a fan-driven community. If you do not like it, try somewhere else. There's no reason to go to another community and gripe about one you don't like. 

What they do with my advise is entirely up to them and it seems to be positively affecting that growing community. 

Here, however, I've offered my insight and hope that people take it as constructive. We're potentially going to see a lot of new people around here at launch and the coming weeks afterwards. These forums could very well see the same spike they did when we announced our launch trailer (1,000+ new registrations, and hardly any of them post to be frank.) I think we can do better for newcomers. Just my two cents :). 

Speaking of which, I've let you guys talk and air things out, but this thread from the get-go was against the rules. If you have any more issues, please contact me directly. 

Rainskull and Ralph Wiggum777 like this