SexDrugs&Tea

Having to pick up maps

52 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JPops said:

No Google Maps either. They didn't exist at the time :P

Haha it would be cool if they did a Jason X map which would obviously be set in the future and looking at your map was done by using google maps on your phone lol. Although I doubt you would get a signal up there, or that google maps would have directions for a spaceship. Forget this whole idea :huh:

10 minutes ago, BertieB3 said:

Haha it would be cool if they did a Jason X map which would obviously be set in the future and looking at your map was done by using google maps on your phone lol. Although I doubt you would get a signal up there, or that google maps would have directions for a spaceship. Forget this whole idea :huh:

Never count google out of the game. However if we were talking apple maps...well let's not go there.

BertieB3 and AldermachXI like this

39 minutes ago, JPops said:

Never count google out of the game. However if we were talking apple maps...well let's not go there.

Siri:  In 200 feet, make a U-Turn.  'Oh, shit.... Hi, Jason!'

I agree with a lot of the posters that this addition will add an extra level of suspense and uncertainty to the game.  Certainly finding a map would make life a little easier, but also help draw out the 'fast win' scenarios I've been seeing in a lot of beta footage.  Also, considering the size of the ship used in Jason X, that could very well be fun to play through, but I'm sure it would require a TON of new assets and time to get integrated.

16 hours ago, Featherbrained said:

I agree.  The thing I like the most about this though, is not being able to see where all the other counselors are right from the start.  You might start out alone and not have any idea where the nearest player is.  It makes walkie-talkies more valuable too.

However in the beta, you would see arrows towards other counselors I believe on your mini map. So hopefully they remove that or make the arrows in a certain vicinity. 

Finding a map is great idea! I would go even further with realism. It should shows other counselors on the main map only, when u and them pick up walkie-talkies ;)

You know, at first I wasn't too keen on this idea. But the more I thought about it I started coming around. The stress it makes me feel just thinking about it makes it a perfect addition. I'm on board. :)

DamnedEternal1 likes this

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, bewareofbears said:

I knew someone who had been going up to the same cabin on the same lake since they were a kid and they managed to get lost, almost had to spend the night outside. When the sun goes down it's pitch black in a wooded forest. The person I knew was an idiot in general but it happens to everyone. It's easy to get turned around in the woods. So I'm all for this, it makes sense.

Night time? Go out in the woods during daylight just to the point you can no longer see a landmark and nothing but trees and watch panic mode set in. The more you look left and right the closer you are to forgeting your bearing. Anyone can walk into the woods, coming out is a whole other can of worms. Night time would be borderline impossible without the right set up.

It'd be kinda fun if the Luck stat played into this too. Like, slight affect on your chance to get good items.

Chad bumbles into a cabin and gets a map first time out, where poor A.J. is on her sixth cabin and has found nada.

Turtle likes this

I think the maps should always spawn in an easy-to-find location, and not inside a drawer. It should always be laying on a cabin table, on a picnic table, pinned to a wall or message board, or hell even inside Jason's shack. I want it to be very obvious to find so that if you're the last person who hasn't picked up a map yet, you don't have to go rummaging through every single drawer to find your way around.

On 5/9/2017 at 3:16 AM, DamonD7 said:

It'd be kinda fun if the Luck stat played into this too. Like, slight affect on your chance to get good items.

Chad bumbles into a cabin and gets a map first time out, where poor A.J. is on her sixth cabin and has found nada.

To my knowledge I don't think Luck works like that. I believe all items that randomly spawn in the game have all their locations determined upon first loading the match. As soon as you see the opening sequence, everything has already been placed in every location, every drawer that you can find something in.

I know Luck has to do with the chance to stun Jason and how well your weapons hold up after repeated attacks. I'm just guessing at the rest but perhaps it also effects the chance to struggle free of his grasp, effects the random chance to take less damage from attacks or windows or even randomly get an easier skill check.

Yeah, Luck doesn't work like that. I just thought it was funny.

Luck helps stun and weapon durability, yup, and then a bunch of little increments to other things like stamina cost for actions and stamina regen and the window damage like you say.

It's a cool idea for sure, but those of us who are already experienced are going to have a big advantage. In the beta, I knew the Higgins Haven map inside out, right down to the obscure bits of forest on the bottom right bit of the map nobody ever went to. I already know there's only 3 possible locations the car will spawn in: outside Higgin's house, down at Blair's cove or at Stillwater. Even without a map I can find my way to any of those in a few minutes or less.

For the new guys, they're not gonna know shit from shit. Until they learn the maps, they may end up getting lost in the woods or going round in circles and consequently are always going to be some of the first players to get whacked. 

On 5/6/2017 at 6:43 PM, deadpaww said:

However in the beta, you would see arrows towards other counselors I believe on your mini map. So hopefully they remove that or make the arrows in a certain vicinity. 

The cool thing is the minimap is still there, including the arrows that tell you in which direction counselors are.. BUT, you have no clue as to how far or close they are.. So at the beginning, if you are alone, and you feel that you need to be close to someone (to get that extra bit of stress relief), you can decide to haul ass in the direction of someone alive, with only the general local vicinity in view on the mini-map.

For new people, they may feel lost, but it's not too hard to learn the locations after just a couple of matches.  You start to learn where you are at *visually* after awhile, even by not having a map, you just start to remember hotspots after awhile.. "Oh hey, there's that small shed"  or, "OH that's that weird bump in the road, I go left here"..  small things placed to spike memory, even if you don't have a map. 

I think not having a map at the start, peaks that sense of adventure, exploration, and discovery.  A nice sense of accomplishment as well when you do come across one.

Czorny and Honkytonkgamer like this

20 minutes ago, Laphin said:

The cool thing is the minimap is still there, including the arrows that tell you in which direction counselors are.. BUT, you have no clue as to how far or close they are.. So at the beginning, if you are alone, and you feel that you need to be close to someone (to get that extra bit of stress relief), you can decide to haul ass in the direction of someone alive, with only the general local vicinity in view on the mini-map.

For new people, they may feel lost, but it's not too hard to learn the locations after just a couple of matches.  You start to learn where you are at *visually* after awhile, even by not having a map, you just start to remember hotspots after awhile.. "Oh hey, there's that small shed"  or, "OH that's that weird bump in the road, I go left here"..  small things placed to spike memory, even if you don't have a map. 

I think not having a map at the start, peaks that sense of adventure, exploration, and discovery.  A nice sense of accomplishment as well when you do come across one.

Yeah, fair point with the arrows. I also agree with the other things you said.

I wonder if there will be 7 maps available each game or if, by design, some counselors will be forced to go entire games blind due to a restricted amount of maps.

One thing I like is that the addition of the map as an item means less empty drawers! On top of the pocket knives, med sprays, firecrackers, flare guns, walkie talkies and car keys, they've now added the fuse for the phone box and the map, which i assume will also be in drawers. Searching is gonna be more fun now!

On 5/11/2017 at 2:35 AM, Kodiak said:

It's a cool idea for sure, but those of us who are already experienced are going to have a big advantage. In the beta, I knew the Higgins Haven map inside out, right down to the obscure bits of forest on the bottom right bit of the map nobody ever went to. I already know there's only 3 possible locations the car will spawn in: outside Higgin's house, down at Blair's cove or at Stillwater. Even without a map I can find my way to any of those in a few minutes or less.

For the new guys, they're not gonna know shit from shit. Until they learn the maps, they may end up getting lost in the woods or going round in circles and consequently are always going to be some of the first players to get whacked. 

I agree.  The beta testers will have an advantage with that map, and the game mechanics.  The other two who knows what's in store.  Everyone will be in the same boat there.  They haven't shown us a lot about the new areas, have they?  I just remember seeing a few spots in Jasons kill video.  

26 minutes ago, Gdain said:

They haven't shown us a lot about the new areas, have they?  I just remember seeing a few spots in Jasons kill video.  

Yeah, both Camp Crystal Lake and Packanack Lodge have only been shown in snippets. The background setting for kills and gameplay action, the little display of Packanack Lodge itself on an PAX presentation, that kind of stuff. It's been kept under wraps.

Does the map take up one of the three inventory slots? Or does it just give you the ability to see the big map?

I assumed the latter.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:31 PM, SexDrugs&Tea said:

I wonder if there will be 7 maps available each game or if, by design, some counselors will be forced to go entire games blind due to a restricted amount of maps.

You know this would sort of enforce friendly play. The risk of lacking a map vs the risk of being in a group. It's an interesting tradeoff if that's the case.