SexDrugs&Tea

Having to pick up maps

52 posts in this topic

So apparently, now to have access to the big map (when you pressed M on the pc i believe), the one that shows all the cabins and where the cars and the police are, you have to first pick up a map...

What are your opinions on this? Im feeling against it right now because in the game, having the map was a valuable tool and realistically, the counselors spent minimum an afternoon at whatever location they are, since the games take place at night, an afternoon is MORE than enough to memorize such a small layout or at least to remember where the cars and exits are.

Moreover, does not having picked up a map also prevents u from knowing what tasks have been completed, cause the objectives were next to the map in the beta.

I've been camping and found the layout after dark to be much different then in the day. Combine that with the fact these kids are scared out of their minds and I think it makes it a bit more realistic. 

Also in real life you wouldn't magically know Pete fixed the car or Jane called the police. I'm happy for these little touches that bring more suspense to the game. Fear isn't a thing when you're just running down the checklist. 

4 people like this

This is news to me. 

On one hand I can see it being annoying later down the line, where newer players would be punished for not knowing the map's layout. But it's a nice idea. I won't make any actual judgement until I see the system in action.

9 minutes ago, DialM said:

This is news to me. 

On one hand I can see it being annoying later down the line, where newer players would be punished for not knowing the map's layout. But it's a nice idea. I won't make any actual judgement until I see the system in action.

The maps are supposed to be randomized to various degrees. It could keep even experienced players on their toes depending on just how random things are.

We will see once it comes out  i guess 

I love it. It adds a new dynamic and makes it harder for counselors. It's more of a challenge and and makes things feel more worrisome. 

5 people like this

I like this.  Instead of players pulling up the map and heading to the cars or phone box they gotta hunt around a bit first.  

6 people like this

Seems like a way to reward more experienced counselors, which is sweet.

Looks like another feature added after the beta that I wish was play-tested by the fans.

:rolleyes:

I'm going to have to play and find out.....

3 hours ago, deadpaww said:

I love it. It adds a new dynamic and makes it harder for counselors. It's more of a challenge and and makes things feel more worrisome. 

I agree.  The thing I like the most about this though, is not being able to see where all the other counselors are right from the start.  You might start out alone and not have any idea where the nearest player is.  It makes walkie-talkies more valuable too.

1 person likes this

I knew someone who had been going up to the same cabin on the same lake since they were a kid and they managed to get lost, almost had to spend the night outside. When the sun goes down it's pitch black in a wooded forest. The person I knew was an idiot in general but it happens to everyone. It's easy to get turned around in the woods. So I'm all for this, it makes sense.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I knew someone who had been going up to the same cabin on the same lake since they were a kid and they managed to get lost, almost had to spend the night outside. When the sun goes down it's pitch black in a wooded forest. The person I knew was an idiot in general but it happens to everyone. It's easy to get turned around in the woods. So I'm all for this, it makes sense.

ive been going up to the same lake every year with friends since I was a kid and you're right about when the sun goes down.  The cabins have electricity but when everything is off you can't see anything except for stars and the moon.  We don't dare go into the woods after dark because it's so easy to get turned around. 

1 person likes this

Chewed it over and listened to some people.

It sounds like the map isn't going to be a rare item or anything, but it does put the impetus on the counselors to get to the nearest building or location and start searching for one, rather than jog around in the woods. It means that being able to use the map isn't something you can rely on, as you may find it right away or it may take a while longer. It also means that counselors won't be immediately checking and making a bee-line for the police radio (unless they're lucky enough to spawn near to it), therefore reducing the chances of the police timer starting early.

Ultimately, it's going to add more tension and paranoia to the early game. Maybe the whole game, if you're unlucky or careless.

The mini-map is untouched, so that'll still be a point of reference. And despite some randomised elements, most of the layout on each map will be the same and build some familiarity.

Agreed that walkie-talkies are even more important, though again you need the fortune to find one!

8 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

Chewed it over and listened to some people.

It sounds like the map isn't going to be a rare item or anything, but it does put the impetus on the counselors to get to the nearest building or location and start searching for one, rather than jog around in the woods. It means that being able to use the map isn't something you can rely on, as you may find it right away or it may take a while longer. It also means that counselors won't be immediately checking and making a bee-line for the police radio (unless they're lucky enough to spawn near to it), therefore reducing the chances of the police timer starting early.

Ultimately, it's going to add more tension and paranoia to the early game. Maybe the whole game, if you're unlucky or careless.

The mini-map is untouched, so that'll still be a point of reference. And despite some randomised elements, most of the layout on each map will be the same and build some familiarity.

Agreed that walkie-talkies are even more important, though again you need the fortune to find one!

It wont too bad if the maps only change as much as they did in beta. I knew that map like the back of my hand by the end of it. I could tell you exactally where I was at all times.

The REAL problem with loosing your map is not being able to find other campers... if they tied the campers locations being viable to the map, it would suddenly become a VERY important item.

I think it is awesome and frightening at the same time.  It gives those that wanted a bit of a hardcore mode some satisfaction while still providing those of us with minimal gaming skills an opportunity to explore.  I think it is going to add a new dynamic to the game.  Creates more suspense.  Should be fun and terrifying.  

1 person likes this

I think this is a great change.

Completely changes the early parts of the game. People might think twice about hogging pocket knives or first aid. Unless the map becomes a permanent item in your inventory once you get it. Then it won't effect that as much. This will also make it much harder to know where things are and communicate early in game.

My only...repeat only concern...is the counselors constantly spawning around locations Jason would no doubt morph to right away. Whether its the phone or a car or whatnot.

I think more counselors need to spawn in deep wooded areas more. This will likely help their early game survival and prevent Jason from generally knowing where counselors will all be to start the match. Granted, he only has morph in the early part of the match, but still.

I agree having to find maps definitely adds a lot to the game . I am very happy about this change.

Lots of good points in the thread, i guess im coming around to the idea, but my biggest worry is that no matter how great these changes are individually, im afraid that they might be too much altogether.

-now counselors start the game without a map and dont know where other counselors and objectives are and they dont know whats the progress on each objective, they have to worry about throwing knives, they have to worry about bear traps, they have to worry about going near fences since Jason can burst through them and they have to worry about Jason's stalk ability, counselors need to complete an extra step before calling the police.

-Meanwhile, Jason's shift grab has been nerfed, counselors have a reworked flare gun and firecrackers and Jason's sense instead of being map-wide is now localized, also MAYBE counselors now swing faster (from what we saw in the savini skin reveal).

I just hope that all these changes end up balancing, but it seems like a lot to me

37 minutes ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

Lots of good points in the thread, i guess im coming around to the idea, but my biggest worry is that no matter how great these changes are individually, im afraid that they might be too much altogether.

-now counselors start the game without a map and dont know where other counselors and objectives are and they dont know whats the progress on each objective, they have to worry about throwing knives, they have to worry about bear traps, they have to worry about going near fences since Jason can burst through them and they have to worry about Jason's stalk ability, counselors need to complete an extra step before calling the police.

-Meanwhile, Jason's shift grab has been nerfed, counselors have a reworked flare gun and firecrackers and Jason's sense instead of being map-wide is now localized, also MAYBE counselors now swing faster (from what we saw in the savini skin reveal).

I just hope that all these changes end up balancing, but it seems like a lot to me

My guess is that counselors will still have a chance to escape, but the deck will be stacked for Jason. 

I like it,it does reduce the chances of the cops being called early during the match and also it slightly reduce the trolling players attempt at finding another player and start running around in circle to attract Jason to that other player,well at least at the beginning of the match.

And dont forget,you will still have the mini-map at least.

Also it make things much more realistic,since in real-life you dont know exactly if there's a phone in that buidling or how much repaired that car is until you are close and see it for yourself,and for the hardcore players if they want to play a match without using a map.

I like not starting out with a map. It minimizes the hud which calls for more immersion. It also prevents counselors from knowing where everything is, like cabins the cars and phone box. It adds a sense of hopelessness and being lost which I love. 

I only just heard about this from Laphins newest video and I had to take a double take. I havent seen a thread or topic or discussion anywhere about this. Can someone link the source because I am only just hearing about this and never heard a thing from the devs. I think I like the idea though and im willing to see where it takes us!

I like it. Makes things more challenging and tense for the counsellors. Also if you never find a map and the cops are called you're not gonna know what area they've been called to, making a police escape not so easy :) 

36 minutes ago, Fatalfox said:

I only just heard about this from Laphins newest video and I had to take a double take. I havent seen a thread or topic or discussion anywhere about this. Can someone link the source because I am only just hearing about this and never heard a thing from the devs. I think I like the idea though and im willing to see where it takes us!

Wes thinks they mentioned it months ago. Maybe that got lost in translation somewhere.

In Randy's stream last night (on the Friday the 13th The Game Twitch channel), Ben and Wes were asked in the chat to confirm no map, and they did.

And what made us notice was the day before when Randy said so on an Unreal engine dev guest appearence on YouTube, which the F13th Game Twitter had a link to.

Sorry I don't have the exact links but those are the two places to look for dev confirmation on this.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

So apparently, now to have access to the big map (when you pressed M on the pc i believe), the one that shows all the cabins and where the cars and the police are, you have to first pick up a map...

What are your opinions on this? Im feeling against it right now because in the game, having the map was a valuable tool and realistically, the counselors spent minimum an afternoon at whatever location they are, since the games take place at night, an afternoon is MORE than enough to memorize such a small layout or at least to remember where the cars and exits are.

Moreover, does not having picked up a map also prevents u from knowing what tasks have been completed, cause the objectives were next to the map in the beta.

I think that's the whole point.

The lack of having a map means you don't have full access to information.  Which means, Jason isn't marked on your map.  It also makes meta more about survival, since you have to get your bearings each time a match starts; you don't automatically know where the phone or car is so you have to figure it out or find a map.  Slows the pacing down.

1 person likes this