FlameRiderSD

weapons
Why does jason Have ONE weapon choice?

166 posts in this topic

I'm looking forward to laying a big fat I told you so to the people who didn't think weapons would be restricted. It seems clear to me that weapons are going to be restricted upon release.

bewareofbears likes this

7 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

That's all well and good, and I've seen the same thing, but that's just fiscally not viable. Even the most popular game has eventual limits to its sales potential, and if this game hits 100,000+ copies sold (which is $4,000,000+ in sales), is there really any doubt they'll try to capitalize on the popularity by releasing a sequel with better ideas and improved mechanics?

I don't think F13 as a concept requires vastly different game mechanics than has already been established in the current game code. Personally I think the only things missing are multiple weapons for each Jason, more counselors, more killers, more maps, more perks and maybe tweaked values for Jason's abilities and +/-. Much more than that and the game would lose focus on what it should be.

I hope Ralph Wiggum is kiding,i hope so.

It's already pretty annoying that that other member JasonVoorhees13 keep insisting/talking about a sequel like he's 100% sure that it's gonna happen,but now even Ralph Wiggum is on board with the idea...

This game isnt even out yet and already some peoples are already thinking about a sequel...give me a break.

Let's see how this game will turn out first and how the DLCs/updates/patches turn out after the game release before even considering a sequel,too soon guys too soon.

The Arrogant Man likes this

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Man said:

I'm looking forward to laying a big fat I told you so to the people who didn't think weapons would be restricted. It seems clear to me that weapons are going to be restricted upon release.

Not to name names, but who said weapons wouldn't be restricted?

Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard anyone state it on the forum.  Strawmen don't belong here.  I do recall making the claim, but that was before I read confirmation otherwise, which was pre-beta; AKA a while ago.

It would be strange if you couldn't switch weapons around,especially since they were all modeled to do the same things. Meaning that there isn't some kind of chainsaw with different animations. Hoping this is one of those pleasant surprises that Gun has kept quiet on.

11 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

It would be strange if you couldn't switch weapons around,especially since they were all modeled to do the same things. Meaning that there isn't some kind of chainsaw with different animations. Hoping this is one of those pleasant surprises that Gun has kept quiet on.

They've stated this before; each Jason will have a unique weapon.  Meaning Part 9 isn't gonna be able to use a Part 2 Pickaxe.

I am completely okay with unique weapons for each Jason (though I think making the Machete, a weapon that has a presence in almost every single film, if not every single one, unique to Part 7 only, was a silly decision that should be reversed as soon as possible).  I just hope that they will continue to add weapons in the future, be them unique or able to be used across multiple Jasons.

3 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

They've stated this before; each Jason will have a unique weapon.  Meaning Part 9 isn't gonna be able to use a Part 2 Pickaxe.

Hopefully this is something they work on after they fix Jason's traps.

1 hour ago, FreakyFrank1 said:

It's already pretty annoying that that other member JasonVoorhees13 keep insisting/talking about a sequel like he's 100% sure that it's gonna happen,but now even Ralph Wiggum is on board with the idea...

This game isnt even out yet and already some peoples are already thinking about a sequel...give me a break.

Let's see how this game will turn out first and how the DLCs/updates/patches turn out after the game release before even considering a sequel,too soon guys too soon.

The good news is, from what I've read, the developers say they're focused on making this the definitive Friday the 13th game. I don't doubt sequel has crossed everyone's mind but I'm hopeful that building and supporting this game remains the focus for a long time.

5 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Definitely. Being able to switch weapons also opens up a revenue source with the possibility of DLC weapons.

Every Jason should be able to use the machete at the very least.

thatdudescott likes this

3 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Hopefully this is something they work on after they fix Jason's traps.

Well, I don't mind them having unique weapons.  It makes sense for Part 2 to only be able to use the pickaxe, and Part 6 only be able to use the Cemetery Spike (hope they bring in the Harpoon and Regular Pitchfork as alternatives, even though they were technically placeholders)

Just now, ResolutionBlaze said:

Part 6 only be able to use the Cemetery Spike

One of my peeves,to be honest. I'll give you sackhead and the pickaxe,but Part VI did a lot of damage with the machete.

Just now, thatdudescott said:

One of my peeves,to be honest. I'll give you sackhead and the pickaxe,but Part VI did a lot of damage with the machete.

I agree, having the machete of all things be a unique weapon is silly.

Although, perhaps it is temporary.  I still think it is.  It makes sense, because of limited budget and such.  They no doubt wanted to get a machete in there because it's so iconic, but they couldn't apply it to each Jason without looking weird (as far as I understand, each Jason was animated alongside the weapon and each Jason acts differently or something, I forgot it was something like that) and the time it would take to animate it all would be astronomical.

My hope is that post launch they'll replace Part 7's weapon with something else, and our first switchable weapon would be to a machete, and said weapon would be available across the board.

26 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

Not to name names, but who said weapons wouldn't be restricted?

Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard anyone state it on the forum.  Strawmen don't belong here.  I do recall making the claim, but that was before I read confirmation otherwise, which was pre-beta; AKA a while ago.

No strawmen here. I'm referring to past discussions on the topic.

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Man said:

No strawmen here. I'm referring to past discussions on the topic.

I'm curious how old, because I'm fairly certain at this point in time 90% of people accepted or got confirmation that each Jason gets a unique weapon.

If you're referring to Pre-beta I'm not sure there would be a point.  Last thing we need by launch is a buncha "I told you so" threads popping up based on information that was presumed before the beta even happened.

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Man said:

You're aptly named. 

12 minutes ago, bocchiere said:

You're aptly named. 

That's just what he goes by here. He is actually named Biff Hardslab Jr. The Third Esquire. 

1 hour ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Guess everyone's gonna have to play and find out. 

Well, at least this leaves open the possibility weapons may be interchangeable. That's a kind-of-sort-of possible positive...? I think. Either way, here's hoping if not Day 1, it will be patched in down the road.

10 hours ago, FreakyFrank1 said:

Like I said, you're naive if you completely disregard the potential for a sequel at some point. That's how software development works. Companies build something good, and then iterate on top of that with future sequels. No game stays fiscally viable to support forever, outside of World of Warcraft maybe... More importantly, I'm not really sure why no one here doesn't want a sequel. They built this game off a very minimal budget. There's tons of improvements that can be made to the graphics, combat, and single player that would only be possible with a sequel. Imagine what these guys could do if this first game sells a 150,000 copies or more and gives them a couple million dollars to develop a sequel. Almost everything that everyone on these forums has said they want could be developed then. More weapons and death animations, extra multiplayer maps, a full-fledged story line driven single player, more money to pay for licensing rights to the remake Friday movie, and better game play mechanics could all be built since the core infrastructure of the game is already created on this iteration. I'm not saying I want them to immediately start Friday Part 2 on May 27th and just let this game stagnate and die. I'm saying that down the line a year or so, when supporting this game is no longer financially viable cause the sales have dropped off, the potential for what they can build in a sequel is really high.

27 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Like I said, you're naive if you completely disregard the potential for a sequel at some point. That's how software development works. Companies build something good, and then iterate on top of that with future sequels. No game stays fiscally viable to support forever, outside of World of Warcraft maybe... More importantly, I'm not really sure why no one here doesn't want a sequel. They built this game off a very minimal budget. There's tons of improvements that can be made to the graphics, combat, and single player that would only be possible with a sequel. Imagine what these guys could do if this first game sells a 150,000 copies or more and gives them a couple million dollars to develop a sequel. Almost everything that everyone on these forums has said they want could be developed then. More weapons and death animations, extra multiplayer maps, a full-fledged story line driven single player, more money to pay for licensing rights to the remake Friday movie, and better game play mechanics could all be built since the core infrastructure of the game is already created on this iteration. I'm not saying I want them to immediately start Friday Part 2 on May 27th and just let this game stagnate and die. I'm saying that down the line a year or so, when supporting this game is no longer financially viable cause the sales have dropped off, the potential for what they can build in a sequel is really high.

And what if the game last more than a year when it come to support ?

Seem like you dont have much faith in this game Ralph...

Why making a 2nd game,when you already have a good solid one wich can be expended with updates/dlcs (keep the possible newly gained licensing rights for FvsJ and 2009 Remake for dlcs for the first game instead of keeping them for a sequel),making a 2nd one would give peoples the idea that the devs think the first game was never good to begin with.

I would suggest that you at least give a chance for this project.

Because right now,your way of thinking is very Call Of Duty like.

10 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

though I think making the Machete, a weapon that has a presence in almost every single film, if not every single one,

Correct.  Part 8 was the only one that he never even touched a machete, unless you count the teaser trailer.

1 hour ago, FreakyFrank1 said:

And what if the game last more than a year when it come to support ?

Seem like you dont have much faith in this game Ralph...

Why making a 2nd game,when you already have a good solid one wich can be expended with updates/dlcs (keep the possible newly gained licensing rights for FvsJ and 2009 Remake for dlcs for the first game instead of keeping them for a sequel),making a 2nd one would give peoples the idea that the devs think the first game was never good to begin with.

I would suggest that you at least give a chance for this project.

Because right now,your way of thinking is very Call Of Duty like.

Yep, no faith at all. I'm only a mod for the site and one of the first 20 people to donate to the kickstarter... Clearly I'm either explaining this poorly, or you're not educated on SDLC processes, cause AGAIN, I'm not suggesting that they just bail on supporting this game. I worked in the industry on the retail and distribution side for over five years and went to college for Information Tech, I know a little on how this game dev stuff works. The vast majority of game sales comes from the first two months of release. After that, used copies of the game and newer game releases start to leach away sales. Eventually games sales trickle away entirely and supporting the product becomes not fiscally viable. AT THAT POINT, I'm suggesting that a sequel will be in production cause Gun and Illfonic are a business and no business stays around by supporting a product that is no longer making money.

Plus, there's tons of stuff they can still develop for a sequel if you just imagine beyond what we're already being given. They could develop a full single-player mode that allows players to play through an entire day and night as a group of counselors like in the movies, similar to the NES game but better implemented (obviously). They could expand the multiplayer campground designs to have more areas to search, escape modes to use, secret areas to find, and maybe even have surprise elements like NPC characters from each map that can assist the counselors temporarily. All these things are pretty big changes that would require a lot of rebalancing if they were to implement them into the current game vs. just focusing on adding them into a new iteration.

Your comment that making a 2nd game somehow gives people the idea that the first was never good is, in all honestly, nonsensical. Does Blizzard consider Diablo 1 and 2 or Starcraft not good? Is Doom and Halo not a success because they've made multiple sequels of them now? Clearly Morrowind must have been terrible cause Bethesda has had to make two more games since then right? None of these games are failure, or not good, cause a sequel got made; a sequel got made BECAUSE they were such a success that it infused the devs with added money that allowed them to create another project that built upon what they already had with the previous game. These guys can successfully support this game to make it a success and release a sequel in like 2019 or 2020 that doesn't tarnish what the first game accomplished.... It's not a one or the other proposition.

I still think that putting more focus on this game before even considering a sequel seem better,here's 2 reasons why...

1-It's cheaper,of course making updates and dlcs will also cost money,but it will cost even more making a sequel if we consider all the money spent on making those discs+disc cases if of course Gunmedia get enough sequel disc solds to reach a decent quota.

2-It's less time consuming,if i had to choose between waiting maybe 2-6 months for a dlc and a bunch of updates or waiting 2-3 years for a sequel,i think i prefer the first choice,we get stuffs and enjoyment much quicker.