GrandMasterLynx

Early release for streamers

384 posts in this topic

This game is first and foremost about Friday the 13th. It's a passion project, one that all of us here are spending a lot of time and effort to ensure things are exactly what they should be for the best possible experience we can come up with. Sure, we're a business, but that's to fuel a passion more than anything else. 

Davidt, ikarikh, DEATH and 4 others like this

1 hour ago, ikarikh said:

This is just the first time you're publicly hearing about it. So don't get your panties in an uproar about it.

Technically,we've known about the streamers getting to play test for a while now. I wouldn't say my boxers,are in an uproar,but they are twisting around my balls a little. I'm also suddenly worried about what defines the game as a success,and how that success or lack there of will influence how long the servers stay alive.....

Kodiak likes this

2 hours ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Let me first start out by saying that when we talk with content creators, streamers and people that can spread the word on our game; we look at how their work is made. We look at quality, we look at content and we look at what someone is going to do for their channel to bring this game to the forefront of as many people as possible. 

Reasonable so far. Pretty much people who can spread the word while working within your ethics. 

We haven't discussed what we're doing publicly yet, but I can tell you that we're working for the best interests of this game. We want it to survive, we want it to thrive, we want you all to be able to play for years to come. We can't let this game be a flash in the pan...and if we can't get traction on people playing, that's exactly what is going to happen. You have to think long-tail here; streamers and YouTube channels are mainly there for entertainment. They find something they like or can be engaging, they play for a bit and they move on to the next shiny game. We have a core community that we listen to quite a lot and engage with on a day-to-day basis. You guys are the community, but a core community does not necessarily mean we're going to be able to build up funds for all the things we want to do for this game. 

My comments were originally made with the miscommunication that the topic was fact. An issue with info being spread among so many mediums. 

I'm loving the fact that the intent is for us to be playing years down the line. I'm going to trust that you guys need the fly by nighters as much as you need us core guys. And since you guys are steering the car and I'm in the back, I'll trust that you get us to the right camp. 

As noted the mundanes will move onto the next shiny game. That's inevitable and why at the end of the day your stuck in no win, here. The core fans all plan to buy in and don't want everything spoiled while the sleepers need to have the fire lit under them. 

You guys are our community, you guys are our supporters....but what good is it down the road when not enough people played or we can't continue to fund growing the game when there aren't enough people playing or buying the game? We want this to be the definitive F13 experience in gaming, right? The crowd-funding we got simply wasn't enough. We've been fighting tooth and nail via Backerkit to raise funds and we lowered funding quotas to try to get things going, but in all honesty funding is and always has been key. We have a monumental amount of interest in the game, and we will make sure that we can do everything to let people know that this game exists, it is fun, and the people who made it and support it are fans first and foremost. 

I'll take your word on it as that info is above my paygrade. Though to answer your question, whether it lasts a weekend or a decade, this is the definitive F13 game experience. Don't think otherwise. 

Streamers and YouTube creators aren't being given special treatment as in 'look at this game, you get it before anyone else.' You can't look at that mindset from our perspective. We want them to cover this game, talk about it and spread the word the same as we would want the LA Times, Kotaku, Game Informer, The AV Club and CNN too; we want more people to know about this game. It's pretty safe to say that the majority of people that are going to play this game still do not know it exists; we promise you that. This is standard practice with any project; a movie pre-screens for reviewers, a band plays a single for record labels and critics, and every game worth their salt makes sure that they can spread the word by any means necessary. 

The difference between streamers and news outlets comes from the editing and whatever agreements you have in place. I have no issue with people playing the game before me, the problem I'm seeing is the game being ruined. If a critic told you "Jason kills thirteen kids then takes an axe to the face" It wouldn't matter if he gave the movie a gold star. He demystified it. 

I hope you guys are either able to make it so certain things cannot happen (Jason being killed is the most obvious) via code or have contracts written that those things cannot be shown, and if they happen during a live stream will be edited out or the stream taken down. People getting hyped over general gameplay is fine. Everybody knowing whodunit prior to the game dropping, less so. 

Our goal is eyeballs, our goal is a fun game and our goal is to ensure that every single person has fun playing it. 

Good stuff. Its been an interesting last couple of years, eh?

I think part of the issue you'll find here, and in threads like this one, is that lately information hasn't been effectively disseminated, and as fans of the series, and this game, we all have a personal stake in it. Maybe not as big as you guys pouring blood, but we're all on the same boat. Hopefully you don't take stuff too personally. 

Thanks for your commentary. It helped to quiet the doubt. 

I hope the devs approach One_shot_gurl - she is interested in this game and is a huge streamer.

Stuff like this is why I would never use my talent at gaming for personal gains. Backers should be the ones getting early access, not people who record themselves overreacting and claiming to love their audience every other loading screen. 

I understand why they're doing this, but it doesn't make it any less unfair to those who have basically already purchased the game and more. 

5 minutes ago, Tymerc said:

Stuff like this is why I would never use my talent at gaming for personal gains. Backers should be the ones getting early access, not people who record themselves overreacting and claiming to love their audience every other loading screen. 

I understand why they're doing this, but it doesn't make it any less unfair to those who have basically already purchased the game and more. 

I'm looking at PewDiePie

I don't like it but I get it to a degree. I think some of what's lost is streamers have to naturally gravitate to a game, giving them early access is kind of forcing it and will potentially negate an organic buzz.

I can relate to the thought process that it does feel like the core fanbase is being turned away from. I would've liked to have seen some of those folks who shelled out thousands be a part of this early access.

7 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I don't like it but I get it to a degree. I think some of what's lost is streamers have to naturally gravitate to a game, giving them early access is kind of forcing it and will potentially negate an organic buzz.

The only people getting access pitched us or played the beta without us contacting them prior. Every offer we got for paid promotion was summarily rejected without consideration. 

dandop1984 likes this

I do not like the idea that other people can play this game before simply because they are content creators on YouTube ... but, I prefer this to happen if we are going to get publicity for this game, and more hype.

so their letting streamers and other bs free advertising an early release, but delayed the game for everyone else. talk about fair, the word of mouth is the strongest advertisement. make a good game and it will grow make a bad one and it will fail no matter how much advertisement.

Babalonkie likes this

I'm not worried at all about this game being spoiled from streamers, as it's multiplayer, and these types of games need to be streamed and advertised so fans join in on the community.

Heck I was a long time lurker of this game, but what sold me was watching playthroughs of the beta. after day one I pre-ordered it than bought the Savini Jason and clothing pack lol

So I totally get it.

I'd be down with the streamers having some guidelines though. Like not killing Jason, or only access to 1 map, so there is an element of surprise, but I guess we'll see.

I just heard a pod cast with Wes, and I'm a little shocked how expensive servers are, and if this game fails on launch, word of mouth may not be enough to keep the community going. This game could be dead in a year.

So if giving some streamers early access will help with it's sales than it's for our greater benefit as well.

BlackWidowofLaPorte likes this

20 minutes ago, JasonVoorhees13 said:

so their letting streamers and other bs free advertising an early release, but delayed the game for everyone else. talk about fair, the word of mouth is the strongest advertisement. make a good game and it will grow make a bad one and it will fail no matter how much advertisement.

In fairness, streamers already provide word of mouth... It's like telling your friends on a huge scale, where those friends tell their friends too...

Honestly, streaming is basically word of mouth. Streaming requires NO money for advertisement - it's literally: Here's our key, do what you want. BAM, they than share with their fanbases who spread the word. 

Like this is the most effect and cost effecient form of advertising I can think of.

15 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

I just heard a pod cast with Wes, and I'm a little shocked how expensive servers are, and if this game fails on launch, word of mouth may not be enough to keep the community going. This game could be dead in a year.

So if giving some streamers early access will help with it's sales than it's for our greater benefit as well.

I heard that podcast, too. The thought of the game not having enough of a fanbase to stay afloat during the first year honestly scares me. Whatever the devs need to do to to generate the hype to build a strong playerbase is fine with me.

I gotta admit .... this kinda rubs me the wrong way. We paid for the game. I already bought it. And 2 virtual cabins. Want me to stream it? Sure. No problem. Letting us have the game when they give it to the streamers isnt going to stop people from buying it. 

That said.....Im not too bent out of shape. Just annoyed. I will say this though.....I fully agree that if the streamers get to kill Jason and ruin it for the rest of us before we even had a chance Ill be more than pissed. 

Beyond that ... if I get in the game and the streamers get to keep their XP from before the rest of us had access Im pretty sure Ill ask steam for a refund. I preordered. I want in on the same level playing field as everyone else on release. In beta you knew who had been playtesting before it opened because they were already running around with Sackhead. That was beta so OK cool. If its like that on general release just because someone has no job and has time to play video games constantly they get to have the new toy and have an advantage over me Ill be really childishly pissed. 

On 4/26/2017 at 6:11 PM, thatdudescott said:

Technically,we've known about the streamers getting to play test for a while now. I wouldn't say my boxers,are in an uproar,but they are twisting around my balls a little. I'm also suddenly worried about what defines the game as a success,and how that success or lack there of will influence how long the servers stay alive.....

Supporting the servers should be it's own subject of discussion, along with backup plans in case the severs are shut down.

RandallFlagg and thatdudescott like this

I've always liked the way that Warhawk on the PS3 handled servers. Anyone's PS3 could be one, and people still play that to this day, 10 years later.

RandallFlagg likes this

4 hours ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

I gotta admit .... this kinda rubs me the wrong way. We paid for the game. I already bought it. And 2 virtual cabins. Want me to stream it? Sure. No problem. Letting us have the game when they give it to the streamers isnt going to stop people from buying it. 

That said.....Im not too bent out of shape. Just annoyed. I will say this though.....I fully agree that if the streamers get to kill Jason and ruin it for the rest of us before we even had a chance Ill be more than pissed. 

Beyond that ... if I get in the game and the streamers get to keep their XP from before the rest of us had access Im pretty sure Ill ask steam for a refund. I preordered. I want in on the same level playing field as everyone else on release. In beta you knew who had been playtesting before it opened because they were already running around with Sackhead. That was beta so OK cool. If its like that on general release just because someone has no job and has time to play video games constantly they get to have the new toy and have an advantage over me Ill be really childishly pissed. 

I agree, they said when the game is released that everyone will start at zero. but well see if its just another lie. this company isnt thinking about the people that already paid. its the greed kicking in looking to get an extra dollar on opening day. It is %100 unfair to release the game early to just a group of people! The whole delay is they were worried if they released in the us before europe they might lose a few sales due to possible banned. now we get this bs of early release to people whos noses are the brownest. If we get anymore replies from wes, ben, or gun its just going to be more beating around the bush answers. just like they kicked everyone out of the chat except the streamers

2 minutes ago, JasonVoorhees13 said:

I agree, they said when the game is released that everyone will start at zero. but well see if its just another lie. this company isnt thinking about the people that already paid. its the greed kicking in looking to get an extra dollar on opening day. It is %100 unfair to release the game early to just a group of people! The whole delay is they were worried if they released in the us before europe they might lose a few sales due to possible banned. now we get this bs of early release to people whos noses are the brownest. If we get anymore replies from wes, ben, or gun its just going to be more beating around the bush answers. just like they kicked everyone out of the chat except the streamers

At the end of the day this is a business, and this game won't stay afloat if there's no money coming in.

servers cost around $7000 a day.

Do some math and figure how many $40 copies of this game has to sell just to pay for the yearly server costs alone

losing sales in Europe is more than a couple, it could be potentially thousands of people.

And unfortunately looks like Germany pulled the plug after giving them the go ahead.

if this game under performs it could be dead in a year.

So I'm happy they are reaching out to streamers, it's for our greater benefit as well.

10 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

At the end of the day this is a business, and this game won't stay afloat if there's no money coming in.

servers cost around $7000 a day.

Do some math and figure how many $40 copies of this game has to sell just to pay for the yearly server costs alone

losing sales in Europe is more than a couple, it could be potentially thousands of people.

And unfortunately looks like Germany pulled the plug after giving them the go ahead.

if this game under performs it could be dead in a year.

So I'm happy they are reaching out to streamers, it's for our greater benefit as well.

That is another reason a no name/small/new or whatever you want to call it company shouldnt build their first game with a icon and risk never getting another slasher icon or even a part 2 to this game released. at least big AAA keep severs up for years.

If they want to make it fair the only way is dont release it early to anyone and or release it early to all the pre-order guys and girls.

2 minutes ago, JasonVoorhees13 said:

If they want to make it fair the only way is dont release it early to anyone and or release it early to all the pre-order guys and girls.

But this isn't about fairness. It's about business. 

RandallFlagg likes this

16 minutes ago, JasonVoorhees13 said:

Jason, 

I am unsure why this comes as a surprise. This is an industry norm and because they are indie developers they should not adhere to industry standards? Both large and small video game companies release items early. Every game, console, ect is sent to streamers. The difference here is gun is selecting streamers based upon quality and not quantity. Large companies pander to only the big names. Is it unfair when that happens? Maybe, but it is just the way things are. Nintendo releases switch consoles weeks ahead of launch to streamers, media and big names of social media. Those units were gratis and there was not enough consoles at launch for demand. Is it fair to forego getting a product into a paying customers hand over a free unit issued? Well that's open to debate. Exposure is a huge selling point and with a game like this which is server bases exposure is what will keep servers up and running. I saw another post you made citing a couple people who were concerned about long term support. That is a couple of people's opinion and you made a generalization from that conversation that the game is doing bad. How can you be concerned about the games longevity yet shun exposure to multitudes of people? I know you are bitter because they may be "further" than you. Come release but you must also keep in mind a few points. 1) progress does not give you a competitive edge in this game and 2) it's server based. Limited players = longer load times and match making. It's not going to be this bonanza of non stop game play like you are assuming it will be. Things like this are to let people go in, kick the tires a bit and make an informed opinion so that when launch day comes reviews and content can be shared. In essence this is the way things have been done for a very long time. I am sorry you feel slighted or mistreated but that is no ones intention and you seem to be taking it personally. The game will be here soon and you will see that there is no catastrophic consequences to letting a select few create some advertisement for the product. 

RandallFlagg and Caliph like this

4 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

But this isn't about fairness. It's about business. 

Then that is just saying its not about the fans it about the dollar. what about all the sharing we done to make this game as big as it is now. so we should be punished for that.

Just now, JasonVoorhees13 said:

That is another reason a no name/small/new or whatever you want to call it company should build their first game with a horror icon and risk never getting another slasher icon or even a part 2 to this game released.

You see if this game isn't successful than yes they won't get another franchise. Doesn't matter if it's Activision or Gunmedia. A failed game usually doesn't warrant a sequel.

look at Alien Isolation. I loved that game, but it underperformed and it was a big budget studio game, so that didn't matter. What mattered was did it make money?

So Gunmedia needs to do everything possible to ensure this game sells, and WE benefit for years to come with DLC,active servers, and other support.

I don't think they could release it to all the supporters. Except for maybe steam? So again you would have the ps4 and xbox supporters being left behind.

This game has to be successful. I wanna be playing this game for years to come. And I want my part 4 DLC! >:D

so why not release to all who pre-ordered? Im heated because i get the feeling like we got their money so f-them. I know its harsh but im having hard time seeing why if you paid for the game and its ready to be released why cant you give it to them. I agree i want the game to last and become a full game one day. im as die hard jason fan as anyone could be. if it was freddy or mikey i wouldnt be so up set.

the only reason i can see sending to high end streamers is to get them to only tell the positives about the game and not a truthful review like not enough maps not enough things to interact with and stuff like that.

Babalonkie likes this