Mark K

Ever wonder why Tommy was implemented? (Possible Spoilers)

49 posts in this topic

Even if anyone can do it though, it would be neat if Tommy had some sort of method or play mechanic only he could do. It would make calling Tommy a bigger deal than just having a counselor with buffed stats.

and..

My point exactly.

It gives incentive to get yourself killed, and it takes away from the regular counselors. I'd argue that it's a good idea. 

Isnt supossed Tommy to have like 12 years old in 1984? anyways... I think everybody should be able to kill Jason.

That is about right. Part 2 takes place 5 years after 1 which took place in 79', and 2-4 all take place in a short span. Part 6 tommy is probably from the 90's according to the internal timeline. 

I dont understand the Tommy hype.

Chris took Jason down with way less help.

Besides hes so incoherent in part 4, 5 and 6 that he could basically be different characters, and not in a "character development" way, in a "we have no idea where we're going with this character" way.

Tommy is a recurring series character, defeated human and undead Jason in round about ways and lived to tell the tale. People might argue well because screenwriters. Well Michael could've killed Laurie and Freddy could've killed Nancy and Jamie did die eventually, as did Laurie and Nancy if you really wanna count canon and be technical. Really no point in debating things like that. Tommy is also a popular character in the series.

He's the Laurie Strode/Jamie Lloyd/Nancy Thompson of Friday the 13th. The only difference being he's a male.

Hell an argument could be made that the comics made Tina just as, if not more popular than Tommy. But arguing character preference always leads to ugliness in any fandom, so I just try to offer an opinion and move along.

I think they added Tommy because the fandom was clamoring for some representation of a character from the actual films outside of Jason and outside of the characters they created for this game. Tommy got the nod. That doesn't mean Mrs. Voorhees can't ever be added or that Tina wouldn't work as an alternate selectable hero character.

To answer the original question of the thread. I don't think its because Tommy is the only one that can kill Jason, I think its because they wanted to be able to add a character from the films that fans might want. Tommy is very popular, whether we like him or not.

Jason needed a nemesis. I guess he's kinda like the Jamie Lee Curtis of F13. He's the only character(besides Crazy Ralph and Alice for like 5 mins)that returns in the sequels and has somewhat of a history with Jason.

Jason needed a nemesis. I guess he's kinda like the Jamie Lee Curtis of F13. He's the only character(besides Crazy Ralph and Alice for like 5 mins)that returns in the sequels and has somewhat of a history with Jason.

I object, there are more recurring characters. Jason returns in the sequels! And Jason definitely has a history with himself.

Also, Pamela returns, in her own way! She has a history with Jason.

Freddy is in two movies, or at least his hand is. Grabbing Jason by the face counts as history.

However I am sure we can have Tommy Jarvis come back. He also has been frozen, and now the government has thawed him out to battle UberJason on Earth 2. They have enhanced him with a nanomachine-powered battlesuit. He is now UberTommy.

I object, there are more recurring characters. Jason returns in the sequels! And Jason definitely has a history with himself.

Also, Pamela returns, in her own way! She has a history with Jason.

Freddy is in two movies, or at least his hand is. Grabbing Jason by the face counts as history.

However I am sure we can have Tommy Jarvis come back. He also has been frozen, and now the government has thawed him out to battle UberJason on Earth 2. They have enhanced him with a nanomachine-powered battlesuit. He is now UberTommy.

tumblr_lai892ZYwH1qcmxylo1_500.jpg

I have no idea what you just said.

Well if the size of her hands are any indication, JennySmash should be able to bring the pain.

Oooohhh, ouch. I am glad to see the constructive criticism this post has brought. Like I said it was just a brain fart idea that popped in there today, while I was pretty tired to boot. However, in my heart of hearts, I do believe in it's merit, as opposed to Tommy being just a amped up nod to the films. I don't believe he is the only piece of the puzzle however. Just a piece. I also am inclined to believe that without the appearance and welfare of Tommy in the match, that the counselors are better off escaping.

Oooohhh, ouch. I am glad to see the constructive criticism this post has brought. Like I said it was just a brain fart idea that popped in there today, while I was pretty tired to boot. However, in my heart of hearts, I do believe in it's merit, as opposed to Tommy being just a amped up nod to the films. I don't believe he is the only piece of the puzzle however. Just a piece. I also am inclined to believe that without the appearance and welfare of Tommy in the match, that the counselors are better off escaping.

Tommy is our shepard. With his guidance we shall escape wrath. 

Somewhere a Tina fan is cursing my name.

I think I remember certain voice lines in the beta, when you called for Tommy on the radio, some of the characters would make explicit references saying things like "come kill Jason" (paraphrasing). I don't have evidence for this off hand, but I think I remember that. Ever since hearing that I basically assumed Tommy would eventually be a key to actually defeating him. Nobody will probably convince me otherwise until the games released.

It makes sense that only Tommy would be able to kill Jason, considering how rare it is supposed to be to pull off. If everyone could do it, it seems like it'd be more common. But if you have to be Tommy, and the person chosen to play as Tommy has to know what they are doing, then it indeed would be rare.

Just noticed this:

and..

It gives incentive to get yourself killed, and it takes away from the regular counselors. I'd argue that it's a good idea. 

You don't have to die to become Tommy, you can also escape. Dying should hurt your score badly enough that getting Tommy is not enough to offset it vs. escaping. I.e. Tommy surviving should give a *much* lower score than your regular character surviving, since it's easier to survive as him.

Characters who have already escaped should also get priority to play Tommy over those who died. If you escape and someone calls Tommy, you become Tommy. The most recent person to escape should become Tommy, not the first. (This encourages you to escape, but does not encourage you to rush off to be the first to escape, abandoning everyone else.)

If you die and someone calls Tommy, you do not become Tommy -- dead people only become Tommy if you die *after* Tommy has been called *and* nobody has escaped yet. The person who calls Tommy has a very low chance of becoming Tommy since escaped people get dibs, but there's still incentive for you to make the call since having Tommy on the map improves your chances of escaping, by distracting Jason.

Edit: This means the worst case scenario would be a map where everyone has been killed, and the last player alive calls Tommy, which means Tommy will not be on the map until that final player escapes or dies, leaving Tommy to survive Jason all alone, but it's a fair tradeoff.

(edit: To be clear, this is my argument for how it *should* work, not describing how it works now.)

I dont understand the Tommy hype.

Chris took Jason down with way less help.

Besides hes so incoherent in part 4, 5 and 6 that he could basically be different characters, and not in a "character development" way, in a "we have no idea where we're going with this character" way.

Givin a choice I would have much preferred Chrissy Higgins. She will always be my favorite survivor, when I was younger (when the film released), I had an enormous crush on her and would catch Dana on "The Facts of Life", and seen her again at the theater in "Lone Wolf Mcquade". I even have a pic signed by her, with her cute little finger prints on it, I'm a huge fan.

Chrissy was a mess at the end of 3, Ginny too. Maybe, just maybe, we can see the female leads return later on as DLC ass kickers!!! Now that is something, I would have zero thought about dropping cash on immediately.

Plus, it would be a wonderful nod to the original survivors. I'm there...absolutely! ;)

THE FINAL GIRLS ROCK!!!! ;)

TaleAsOldAsTime likes this

Just noticed this:

You don't have to die to become Tommy, you can also escape. Dying should hurt your score badly enough that getting Tommy is not enough to offset it vs. escaping. I.e. Tommy surviving should give a *much* lower score than your regular character surviving, since it's easier to survive as him.

I know you can escape to be Tommy, but it's still a crapshoot. I agree with you on XP loss. Hell, Tommy shouldn't even earn XP. 

Characters who have already escaped should also get priority to play Tommy over those who died. If you escape and someone calls Tommy, you become Tommy. The most recent person to escape should become Tommy, not the first. (This encourages you to escape, but does not encourage you to rush off to be the first to escape, abandoning everyone else.)

I disagree here. Sometimes a bad spawn or some other innocent mistake will get you killed. How many died because of another player using Vanessa used them as bait? Counselors shouldn't be punished for dying. 

If you die and someone calls Tommy, you do not become Tommy -- dead people only become Tommy if you die *after* Tommy has been called *and* nobody has escaped yet. The person who calls Tommy has a very low chance of becoming Tommy since escaped people get dibs, but there's still incentive for you to make the call since having Tommy on the map improves your chances of escaping, by distracting Jason.

Edit: This means the worst case scenario would be a map where everyone has been killed, and the last player alive calls Tommy, which means Tommy will not be on the map until that final player escapes or dies, leaving Tommy to survive Jason all alone, but it's a fair tradeoff.

Or it could be random as far as who plays Tommy. Another advantage to this is it helps keep people from bouncing from the lobby after they die. 

Outside of loss of potential XP a player would have gotten for longer play, I can't say I agree with you on the topic.

Mark K likes this

Why would be Tommy the only one to be able to kill Jason? Ginny and Chris defeated him being normal chicks, in fact, Chris fighted alone while Tommy haved Trish and Megan in part IV and VI, respectively.

Why would be Tommy the only one to be able to kill Jason? Ginny and Chris defeated him being normal chicks, in fact, Chris fighted alone while Tommy haved Trish and Megan in part IV and VI, respectively.

Chris had Ali help her. 

Chris had Ali help her.

Maybe somehow that's the key in stopping Jason? Another player has to somehow distract him/give up their life while the other goes in for the kill? Long shot I know but could be a part of it?

Seems to always be the case in the movies. Ali saved Chris. Paul saved Ginny. Tommy and Trish tag teamed him.

Maybe somehow that's the key in stopping Jason? Another player has to somehow distract him/give up their life while the other goes in for the kill? Long shot I know but could be a part of it?

Seems to always be the case in the movies. Ali saved Chris. Paul saved Ginny. Tommy and Trish tag teamed him.

Very interesting. Would make for an epic finale! :)

But think about it, if anyone could kill Jason then you might have game after game where, once we find out how, people just do that over and over and over and over and over - trying to kill Jason instead of playing the actual game.

If it's only Tommy that can kill Jason, then you can't ignore regular gameplay elements just running around trying to kill Jason. It's a random thing that happens if you are lucky, then you get a CHANCE at killing Jason. It's the only thing that makes sense to me when I think of how rare of an occurrence it's supposed to actually be.

Movies be damned. This is a vidya game and Tommy is the only one actually from the movies anyway.

But think about it, if anyone could kill Jason then you might have game after game where, once we find out how, people just do that over and over and over and over and over - trying to kill Jason instead of playing the actual game.

If it's only Tommy that can kill Jason, then you can't ignore regular gameplay elements just running around trying to kill Jason. It's a random thing that happens if you are lucky, then you get a CHANCE at killing Jason. It's the only thing that makes sense to me when I think of how rare of an occurrence it's supposed to actually be.

Movies be damned. This is a vidya game and Tommy is the only one actually from the movies anyway.

The devs said that they wanted to stay as true to the movies as they could for a game. Tommy did technically kill him in 4, but didn't the devs say "defeat him" not kill? If that's the case then a regular counselor could do it as in parts 2,3,7,8. It's all speculation at this point and we won't have any idea until it launches and we all play.

Killing Jason is part of the game.. It isn't an either or thing. 

If the Dev's made it hard to kill Jason, with it being a matter of luck as much as other factors, people may not try to kill him over and over, because it's better odds they die in the attempt. If getting away is the surest bet, most will go that route.

That would be interesting, but I'm not sure I like the need for others. It makes any sole survivor unable to best Jason.

Very interesting. Would make for an epic finale! :)

I'm torn. While it will be epic to kill Jason with a friend or two, I don't like the idea of it limiting the chances of a single counselor doing the same. 

Poor Ali, man he got it hardcore! He died a hero.

That he did. Dude was a dick, but when it counted, he stepped up. 

Mark K likes this

Killing Jason is part of the game.. It isn't an either or thing. 

If the Dev's made it hard to kill Jason, with it being a matter of luck as much as other factors, people may not try to kill him over and over, because it's better odds they die in the attempt. If getting away is the surest bet, most will go that route.

That would be interesting, but I'm not sure I like the need for others. It makes any sole survivor unable to best Jason.

I'm torn. While it will be epic to kill Jason with a friend or two, I don't like the idea of it limiting the chances of a single counselor doing the same. 

That he did. Dude was a dick, but when it counted, he stepped up.

Great points all! Especially the last survivor...love it! You are absolutely right, they can all TRY and kill him, even when the method is discovered. However, chances are, they will meet a grisly demise, even by dog-piling him. I witnessed that in the beta, where the Jason player just stood there taking their best shots. His mask flew off, and he dropped over and over, till finally the Jason player got bored and killed the whole group! It was comical in a way.

Read a bunch of replies, and I personally like the idea where Tommy is the only one who can kill Jason. I mean, at least give him like a higher chance of being able to do it - like extra damage or something. Jason shouldn't be easy to kill, but Tommy should have a better chance than all the others!