Mark K

Ever wonder why Tommy was implemented? (Possible Spoilers)

49 posts in this topic

I did some interesting forum readings on other sites, and kind of put two and two together (plus it is better than the usual release date issues).

Because only Tommy can Kill Jason. He is the arrow in Jason's Achilles heel, by hook (weapon) or by crook(some other method), i'm not sure, but it sort of jives.

I could be completely off, but it makes sense, and makes it hard to put the big man down, when you only have one chance to do it (by Tommy showing up, and not getting killed himself.).

Thoughts?

It wouldn't make sense for only Tommy to be able to kill Jason. The devs have been saying from the start, before they reached the Tommy Jarvis stretch goal, that Counselors would be able to kill Jason.

Also, if this were the case, then I can see a Jason takedown never happening, since any Jason player with this knowledge would automatically target Tommy as soon as he spawned in.

I think you're pretty much on point -- especially since he says stuff like "This is between me and Jason!", etc. although I speculate he might have to be helped by another character to pull it off. I seem to recall Gun saying something about it requiring teamwork to do it.

Or it might turn out that different Jasons can be "killed" in different ways. Like for instance doing the Ginny-in-Sweater thing if you're facing Part 2 Jason.

Though obviously you never truly kill Jason. =)

The thing about targeting Tommy though, Tommy has buffed stats. He has the best chance of getting away from Jason, stunning him, etc.  If people are playing as a team, people could certainly run interference for Tommy and slow Jason down. e.g. put a trap in his way or stun him to give Tommy a chance to escape,  jink different directions, and force Jason to have to morph around again to search for him.

I may have missed any new news or corrections about it, but from what I read, Jason was actually killable in the beta, it's just nobody figured out how, and Gun wasn't gonna spill the beans on how -- preferring to watch everyone tear their hair out.

It wouldn't make sense for only Tommy to be able to kill Jason. The devs have been saying from the start, before they reached the Tommy Jarvis stretch goal, that Counselors would be able to kill Jason.

Also, if this were the case, then I can see a Jason takedown never happening, since any Jason player with this knowledge would automatically target Tommy as soon as he spawned in.

Jason WOULD TARGET TOMMY, think about it, canon-wise. Also the devs had the idea to be able to kill Jason in their thoughts, they only needed the right implementation to get it done.

Just my opinion, like I said I could be wrong. Mad-eye-yokai youtube vid said, that it is like a 1.5 percent chance, based on the number of matches played, to kill him. Effectively, making Jason possibly the hardest to kill villain in video game history.

As all others have said, killing Jason was a mechanic way before Tommy.

Also you can't really base yourself on the Tommy quotes, Deborah says : "I know you can die Jason", that doesn't mean she's the only one that can kill Jason.

And lastly how utterly boring would that be. I prefer almost all the new counselors to Tommy, let them be heroes

I've said elsewhere what I think it will take to kill Jason. Tommy wasn't part of the equation, nor was playing any specific counselor.

It's not jiving with me, to be honest. 

As all others have said, killing Jason was a mechanic way before Tommy.

Also you can't really base yourself on the Tommy quotes, Deborah says : "I know you can die Jason", that doesn't mean she's the only one that can kill Jason.

And lastly how utterly boring would that be. I prefer almost all the new counselors to Tommy, let them be heroes

Like I said, I could be wrong. The other counselors could help, sure. Knocking him out etc, but I think only Tommy could effectively kill him, thus ending the match, and rewarding an exorbatant amount of CP rewards to those within the match. I could be all wet, but, at least to me, it makes sense. ;)

Jason WOULD TARGET TOMMY, think about it, canon-wise. Also the devs had the idea to be able to kill Jason in their thoughts, they only needed the right implementation to get it done.

Just my opinion, like I said I could be wrong. Mad-eye-yokai youtube vid said, that it is like a 1.5 percent chance, based on the number of matches played, to kill him. Effectively, making Jason possibly the hardest to kill villain in video game history.

That's not true. I remember from nearly a year ago, long before Tommy was announced, the devs reported that they had Jason takedowns in their playtests. It's a feature that's been in the game since the start, they just won't tell us how to accomplish it.

That's not true. I remember from nearly a year ago, long before Tommy was announced, the devs reported that they had Jason takedowns in their playtests. It's a feature that's been in the game since the start, they just won't tell us how to accomplish it.

I do believe that Pamelas head in the shack, and her tombstone at the graveyard, are involved...but Tommy is the catalyst. Oh well, we'll find out pretty soon. ;)

I've said elsewhere what I think it will take to kill Jason. Tommy wasn't part of the equation, nor was playing any specific counselor.

It's not jiving with me, to be honest. 

Even if anyone can do it though, it would be neat if Tommy had some sort of method or play mechanic only he could do. It would make calling Tommy a bigger deal than just having a counselor with buffed stats.

Mark K likes this

Even if anyone can do it though, it would be neat if Tommy had some sort of method or play mechanic only he could do. It would make calling Tommy a bigger deal than just having a counselor with buffed stats.

My point exactly.

Meh personnally I don't want Tommy to be a bigger deal than he is right now. His presence is neat for the Tommy fans, but like I said I'm already more of a fan from these new counselors, I don't want Tommy stealing their spotlight

Tommy might be necessarily to defeat Jason but more as part of the triggers needed, not necessarily as the one who 'has' to defeat him though. More like he needs to have been summoned, someone had to have died and respawned as him and Tommy needs to have done something in order for the trigger to unlock for a counselor (or tommy) to be able to defeat Jason.

So question, I know Tommy was a stretch goal, but was the "Call Tommy" mechanic always intended, just without having the Tommy character/original actor/etc.? Meaning you could still call for a strong person armed with a gun to come?

So question, I know Tommy was a stretch goal, but was the "Call Tommy" mechanic always intended, just without having the Tommy character/original actor/etc.? Meaning you could still call for a strong person armed with a gun to come?

I think all that was mentioned was the ability to play as him. The calling was specific for the police to come.

I think all that was mentioned was the ability to play as him. The calling was specific for the police to come.

What I was wondering about was the radio tower and the radio. Were these assets specifically added for Tommy, or did they do something else or call someone else before the decision to add Tommy was made?

The police have the phone, which I assume was always intended to be in the game.

What I was wondering about was the radio tower and the radio. Were these assets specifically added for Tommy, or did they do something else or call someone else before the decision to add Tommy was made?

The police have the phone, which I assume was always intended to be in the game.

All I know is that the tower was mentioned early on, and the radio, I assumed it was some sort of Ranger tower like in the film "Wrong Turn". Who came as a result of that call, i'm not sure, I assumed the police.

Isnt supossed Tommy to have like 12 years old in 1984? anyways... I think everybody should be able to kill Jason.

Ha! Yes, it's Corey Feldman's older, unknown brother. LOL!

Good point!

OR

It may be "Jimbo" looking for BJ Betty? ;)

Personal thought is that the lake itself/water plays a part in taking down Jason. I'm late to the party but makes sense to me considering the movies.

Could be, but Jason actually has no problem with the water. Part 4 shows this. However, he supposedly drowned there, so who knows?

Tommy survived longer in the franchise than the other characters. While even the final girls had a one movie run; except Alice who met a grizzly demise, Tommy survived two mass murderers in three separate movies. He inadvertently gave Jason life after killing him in 4 and still managed to trap him in the lake. Despite the screenwriter's best efforts, Tommy's been to the edge of sanity and back again, who better to represent a direct opposition to Jason?

Mark K likes this