Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beetlejuice91

Anyone remember Sierra On-Line? (Adventure game company)

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone played the games from Sierra On-Line when they were big in the 80's and 90's before they started Half-Life? Some of the games were King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc...

They made adventure games where your character could in amusing and horrific ways along with a sarcastic narrator for your death message. It was made fun of in some of LucasArts' adventure games.

Some Sierra games had some moments that were scary and was nightmare fuel.

One example is the beginning of Space Quest 4 where you run into a zombie cyborg in a dark future. It's a few seconds of it seeing you, it's mouth twitches and lets out a blood-curdling scream as it points it's finger at you. That was nightmare fuel for me as a kid.

The other one was a murder mystery set at a museum called Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra. People die in various ways that resemble something out of a horror film, the bodies are shown in a black background along with eerie investigation music.

Anyone remember these games?

JBSLICK33 likes this

Yeah.  I remember Sierra games.  They were simultaneously the most engaging puzzles games out there and frustrating as hell.

Rub berries on self - no.  Dammit.

Rub berries on character - no.  Dammit.

Rub berries on vest - no.  Dammit.

RUB BERRIES ON SHIRT - no.  DAMMIT!!!

Oh yeah, I remember Sierra games. They were at the same time some of the most inventive narrative driven stories and the most absolutely obtuse puzzles in the world. The adventure gaming scene has come a long way since then. But even with all that being said, many of them are classics, with Police Quest and King's Quest being very high on the list.

I've been doing a lot of retro gaming of late, and many of their more popular titles are on GOG. Along with many other old school games, they are properly configured to run on current Windows platforms out of the box with zero tinkering or emulation required (and DRM free). The prices are very reasonable and usually clock in at 5-10 bucks for individual titles and 15-20 for collections. They also run frequent sales, which reduces prices even further.  

i use to like sierra games for pc when i was younger back when quake 2 was popular. I use to play trophy bass fishing by sierra. I guess their out of business now? i would have to say its been 20+ years since i last seen a sierra game.  I got out of pc gaming for the price to play was to high like now have to upgrade every 6 months

I always loved the Space Quest series, but cases where Sierra acted as a publisher also put out some great stuff. e.g. when they were the distributor for Origin systems, they sold the early Ultima games. They also did the western world publishing of early GameArts shooters like Thexder and Silpheed. The Homeworld series. And of course they put out the original Half Life, back when Valve was just a studio, not a publisher. =)

...but regarding the classic adventures though, LucasArts would eventually convert me. Dying in Sierra games was just so arbitrary. Sometimes it felt okay (Quest for Glory/Hero's Quest), but for instance in Kings Quest, just accidentally walking a few pixels the wrong way with the wonky controls got really frustrating.

Of course none of them could compare to the power of imagination you explored in Infocom games. =) Trinity still gives me chills.

Beetlejuice91 likes this

I guess their out of business now?

No, they are still very much in business. They have done the reboot of King's Quest and mostly focus on indie games now.

- I got out of pc gaming for the price to play was to high like now have to upgrade every 6 months 

Not if you plan ahead. If you buy cheap, mass produced boxes that barely meet current mins, then yes. I built my last rig about 3 years ago and just now the recommended specs of high end games are hitting it. I should easily be able to squeeze 3 more years out of it, and then I'll probably be able to get away with just upgrading the graphics card.

I didn't spend an insane amount of money when I built this one. I already had the monitor / mouse / keyboard / surround sound, so no outlay at all for those. Ditto on the case since I got a high quality Cooler Master about 12 years ago that I've used for my last 3 builds. So my money only had to go for PSU, CPU, GPU, Mobo, & RAM. I did some major shopping around and put it together for about a grand total.  

No, they are still very much in business. They have done the reboot of King's Quest and mostly focus on indie games now.

Sadly, I have to disagree. =( Sierra's independence died in 1996, and most of its other development studios were killed in 1999. Its publishing arm was killed off in 2008.

The original studio (no longer named Sierra since others owned the name) in 1999 did survive for a while after joining Codemasters, but appears to be dead now. The location is occupied by an ISP called SierraTel (not sure if there's anyone from the old Sierra there).

The current "Sierra" is just reusing the trademark, as I understand it. Pretty much any "Sierra" development in the 21st century, especially after 2008, has just been other entities reusing the intellectual property of the old developer from the 20th century.

Ken and Roberta did have some limited input into the new Kings Quest, but that's about it.

Beetlejuice91 likes this

If I recall, Sierra was bought by Vivendi, then Vivendi was bought by Activision. Activisition used the Sierra brand for the recent King's Quest games. It's not bad though I miss the point and click, but adventure gaming has changed for the 21st century. I'm curious if the Odd Gentlemen would touch the other Quest or adventure games.

Those old Lucas and Sierra adventure games were awesome! I actually found Indiana Jones on steam awhile back. I don't remember ever beating it on the Commodore 64, so I'm going to replay it on my modern day PC.

It was extremely hard to find a walk through guide back then if one even existed for the game you were playing. It forced you to use your brain....and possibly cause the 1st rage quits!

Good call on this topic. I got to make some time for Indy today!

Beetlejuice91 likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 1:19 PM, JyusannichiKibou said:

Sadly, I have to disagree. =( Sierra's independence died in 1996, and most of its other development studios were killed in 1999. Its publishing arm was killed off in 2008.

The original studio (no longer named Sierra since others owned the name) in 1999 did survive for a while after joining Codemasters, but appears to be dead now. The location is occupied by an ISP called SierraTel (not sure if there's anyone from the old Sierra there).

The current "Sierra" is just reusing the trademark, as I understand it. Pretty much any "Sierra" development in the 21st century, especially after 2008, has just been other entities reusing the intellectual property of the old developer from the 20th century.

Ken and Roberta did have some limited input into the new Kings Quest, but that's about it.

Yeah, I knew Ken and Roberta had input. The article I read in PC Gamer made it sound like they had a great deal of input, but that could just be their spin on it.

Fair enough on the history of Sierra. I was simply basing my comment on the fact that Sierra was a game studio / business that was currently operating. Didn't necessarily mean that it was still being run by the same people, entity, etc. Really, very few game studios are gonna have much in the way of continuity for that long a period. Even the ones that have been in continual operation are going to have had their share of attrition / turnover. I'm just glad someone is trying to keep the spirit alive rather than just make a buck off the name recognition or " 'member-berries".   

5 minutes ago, Smartz1 said:

I'm just glad someone is trying to keep the spirit alive rather than just make a buck off the name recognition or " 'member-berries".   

I'm all for keeping the spirit alive, I just feel that what is currently "Sierra" is not Sierra at all.

Obviously people leave and join studios and companies, and "pass the torch" to new people to carry on the tradition. Eventually nobody from the original entity is still around (or even alive!) at the entity that it became, yet there's still a continuity.

The United States of America is still the USA, since 1776. If China bought the rights to the name "United States of America", nuked all of North America, and declared some island on their territory to be "The United States of America", I'd argue that it was not the USA, even if they "kept the spirit" by building a 1/3 scale Statue of Liberty there.

That said, people can pick up the torch and do cool things, like Telltale's Monkey Island. 

And then there are pretty horrific fumbles, like the Bard's Tale remake.

Yeah, I remember Sierra, though I didn't play their games. Didn't/couldn't afford a PC.

Codemasters I very much remember too, when they were just starting out. I beat all the Dizzy games!

13 hours ago, Survival said:

Gabriel Knight series is probably my favorite videogame series of all time. So yeah, I do remember Sierra!

Quest for Glory also.

I absolutely love the first one though I never gotten around to playing the sequels. The soundtrack was great and the voice acting had a lot of well known actors considering the past voiced Sierra games they just used the staff so it sounded very campy.