wes

Breakable Fences

186 posts in this topic

Hey, Campers!

For about two months now we've had breakable fences in the build. Thought you guys might like to learn more about them. Let's dive head first into fences...wait...shit, you know what I mean.

Only Jason can break fences. Meaning a counselor can't break them down with a weapon. Currently, the car can not break the fence either, which is weird and we're looking into that. We may patch that in later, but as for launch, only Jason can break them. All Jason's can break fences with one free melee swing. Only one swing is required, but remember; the swing animation time isn't instant. Meaning if you are chasing a counselor and they try to use a breakable fence to keep the two of you apart, you still have to swing, break and then recover from said swing. It's not like you can run towards fence, swing, break and keep running. 

INTACT FENCE

dGkwajy.jpg

FENCE AFTER JASON LOVE TAP

giUis1d.jpg

Not every fence in the game is breakable. If the fence is tall, say roughly shoulder height, it can not be broken. However, the smaller, knee/waist high fences can be. We can't make every fence breakable due to performance (physics). But we felt some of them should be to help thwart looping behavior. Of course, a good knife throw seems to fix that right up. ;)

Lastly, as it is currently RAGE Jason can't "rage" through fences like he does doors. This is because those are two separate systems (doors vs fences). We would have to put HUD elements (interact prompt) on all fences to inform the player they can rage through it. You know, like doors have. This would junk up the world with too many icons. Could we allow Jason to RAGE through them without a prompt and just let the player "discover" this feature? Yeah, but it's not ideal. 

We've also discussed allowing RAGE Jason to simply walk through them, without a prompt. If you are pressing "W" or pressing forward on the thumbstick, he just beast-modes through the fence as if it weren't even there. That might be pretty cool. Who am I kidding, that is fucking cool!

But we're going to hold off on that until post-launch. Let you guys drive Jason around, see what feels right.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Crystal Lake very soon. ;)

-W

Sounds good. I had a feeling that was going to be needed to address the looping stuff.  Now as long as key mapping works on launch (and maybe that ground kill for tea baggers), I'll be a happy man. All I need now, a release date. :P

Timotheus00T and JuniorC85 like this

Hey, Campers!

For about two months now we've had breakable fences in the build. Thought you guys might like to learn more about them. Let's dive head first into fences...wait...shit, you know what I mean.

Only Jason can break fences. Meaning a counselor can't break them down with a weapon. Currently, the car can not break the fence either, which is weird and we're looking into that. We may patch that in later, but as for launch, only Jason can break them. All Jason's can break fences with one free melee swing. Only one swing is required, but remember; the swing animation time isn't instant. Meaning if you are chasing a counselor and they try to use a breakable fence to keep the two of you apart, you still have to swing, break and then recover from said swing. It's not like you can run towards fence, swing, break and keep running. 

INTACT FENCE

dGkwajy.jpg

FENCE AFTER JASON LOVE TAP

giUis1d.jpg

Not every fence in the game is breakable. If the fence is tall, say roughly shoulder height, it can not be broken. However, the smaller, knee/waist high fences can be. We can't make every fence breakable due to performance (physics). But we felt some of them should be to help thwart looping behavior. Of course, a good knife throw seems to fix that right up. ;)

Lastly, as it is currently RAGE Jason can't "rage" through fences like he does doors. This is because those are two separate systems (doors vs fences). We would have to put HUD elements (interact prompt) on all fences to inform the player they can rage through it. You know, like doors have. This would junk up the world with too many icons. Could we allow Jason to RAGE through them without a prompt and just let the player "discover" this feature? Yeah, but it's not ideal. 

We've also discussed allowing RAGE Jason to simply walk through them, without a prompt. If you are pressing "W" or pressing forward on the thumbstick, he just beast-modes through the fence as if it weren't even there. That might be pretty cool. Who am I kidding, that is fucking cool!

But we're going to hold off on that until post-launch. Let you guys drive Jason around, see what feels right.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Crystal Lake very soon. ;)

-W

Oh yeah? ;).

I like the idea of him just beasting through a fence in RAGE, sounds awesome, hope you guys add that in.

Also would be awesome if you could add in the car breaking down the fences as well, I can understand how that may be difficult though given the system you have at work here (I assume the fence is physics driven but only within a specific section and not the entire fence system, is that correct?) therefore making it difficult for the car breaking them completely as I imagine doing so would cause a lot of load at once in terms of physics.

SinbaddP likes this

Oh yeah? ;).

I like the idea of him just beasting through a fence in RAGE, sounds awesome, hope you guys add that in.

Also would be awesome if you could add in the car breaking down the fences as well, I can understand how that may be difficult though given the system you have at work here (I assume the fence is physics driven but only within a specific section and not the entire fence system, is that correct?) therefore making it difficult for the car breaking them completely as I imagine doing so would cause a lot of load at once in terms of physics.

Yes that's precisely correct. The fence only breaks in between the fence posts. Posts are built from the steel used to make the T-1000. We can't make the entire fence asset break (posts, rungs, etc) because that would be too taxing (big frame dips). So we have to pick and choose. 

-W

Are there any modeled gibs for the broken fence or does it just immediately transition to a broken fence like the Radio? 

Are there any modeled gibs for the broken fence or does it just immediately transition to a broken fence like the Radio? 

There are broken bits that hit the ground and then vanish after roughly 5 seconds. This, again, for performance reasons. 

There are broken bits that hit the ground and then vanish after roughly 5 seconds. This, again, for performance reasons. 

Works for me!

Will some of the broken bits be "weapons" like a board that a counselor can pick up and try to dash Jason with? 

:P though I imagine that would be hard to do too, but as an incentive not to destroy every fence you come across as Jason just to "get them out of the way", then again, a board / weapon wouldn't necessarily be too strong either xP