wes

Disarming Jason Traps

219 posts in this topic

Hey Campers,

Love seeing all the passion and feedback you guys are providing us. Hits us right in the feels to see you guys in here, banging away ideas, sharing thoughts and having open discussions about the game. Very cool!

So let's talk about disarming Jason traps. We already have a "paper design" for disarming traps, and have for some time. We already had a pretty good idea that this feature would need a counter, but we wanted to see what you guys thought. Another factor was time and certification. We knew we wanted traps even before the beta, but you put everything up on the whiteboard, and then start crossing stuff off due to time.

Post-beta we went back to that board and started circling things we crossed off because we knew we had the time between beta ending and launch. But disarming traps was going to be tricky and some of the other features we wanted (better flare guns, firecrackers, etc) needed some additional TLC to get done. The last thing we wanted to do was put certification at risk. And sticking in a new feature during certification is a major no-no. 

What's the design we have? Great question, glad I asked it. ;)

Counselors will be able to disarm Jason traps, but there's a catch. To disarm a trap, the counselor must be crouched and very, very close to the trap. If standing, walking, jogging, or running, the interact prompt will not appear. Thus, SNAP > Ouchy. But wait, there's more! Once crouched and near trap, you must have a pocketknife in your inventory to disarm the trap. This gives the pocketknife more than one use, pretty neat. Ready for the fiendish, difficult decision part of this? (muahahaha)

As you are crouched, with the pocketknife in your inventory, and the "disarm" prompt appears, you select it. Your counselor starts working on the trap. As they work on the trap you see the trap slowly start closing. It's not a quick snap shut. It's slow, as if your knife is turning a screw, thus loosening the tension of the trap. Just as the trap is nearly closed (disarmed) you hear a light "SNAP" sound. What happened? Your pocketknife blade just broke, making it useless. Your knife disappears from your inventory...no more get out of Jason jail free card.

Decisions, decisions. Do I step on the trap? Do I move on and let someone else deal with it? Do I disarm it and burn my knife? Tough call. But we're not done yet. :)

There are also perks that we did not discuss. Perks that might lessen the chance that the trap will go off when you step on it. Or perhaps the trap will still snap on you, but there's a chance Jason won't be alerted. These are just a few ideas that we feel are great additions to this feature. We could also tie the pocketknife breaking to a game of chance, perhaps linked directly to the luck stat. There's a lot of directions we could go with this.

Here's the thing. I don't want to make a promise I can't keep, but we're going to do our best to get this design implemented, and submitted as a day one patch. Again, I can't promise it because it requires art, animation, and engineering, and the latter two are up to their ears with certification at the moment. We already predicted that when we announced Jason traps, that this would be a hot topic of discussion. We have a plan in place, I just want to remain transparent and keep our promises.

Thanks again guys for all the passion. Can't wait to see each of you at Crystal Lake.

-W   

29 people like this

Wes - Thanks for the update..Everyone was freaking out !  I like the fact that Jason may not hear the trap go off and we can attempt to disarm with a knife.

3 people like this

Nice!!! I love how there now will be at least an option down the road.

1 person likes this

Amazing!! I love the idea of the pocket knife having more than one use, really adds to the tension. Plus the ability for the pocket knife to be tied to luck make characters like jenny and chad much more appealing. Keep up these updates!!

1 person likes this

A good balance change. I wasn't minding the idea of no disarms on the trap I just felt like staying far away from that firestorm, Jason can't disarm counselor traps so I figured that was a good counter. This works as a setback for the counselor to lose a knife and Jason expends one of his traps.

My idea for a trap was a rope snare like used in part 2 where a knife would be expended for the counselor to free themselves, or a non-expense use for a passerby who had a pocket knife on them.

3 people like this

Alright. This is something I can live with. Thanks for listening to us!

6 people like this

It's weird when developers read our opinions and like, care about them.

7 people like this

Genius. Love how you guys keep us posted!

1 person likes this

That's a great idea. I like it. Here's hoping for that day 1. If not at least we know it's coming.

1 person likes this

It's weird when developers read our opinions and like, care about them.

I know I love how transparent they have been. Most AAA devs would have just copied and pasted a repetitive message and shove are face with overpriced dlc. Nice to see a break from that cycle.
1 person likes this

Nice balance change. Still, I was willing to see how everything would go with the no-disarm like other people mentioned and wait for an adjustment later. It's really nice to see you're already thinking about some kind of change on the way.

1 person likes this

I know I love how transparent they have been. Most AAA devs would have just copied and pasted a repetitive message and shove are face with overpriced dlc. Nice to see a break from that cycle.

Fans are family. We treat you guys with love and respect. And you guys return the favor. That's how it should be. ;)

-W

9 people like this

Hey Campers,

Love seeing all the passion and feedback you guys are providing us. Hits us right in the feels to see you guys in here, banging away ideas, sharing thoughts and having open discussions about the game. Very cool!

So let's talk about disarming Jason traps. We already have a "paper design" for disarming traps, and have for some time. We already had a pretty good idea that this feature would need a counter, but we wanted to see what you guys thought. Another factor was time and certification. We knew we wanted traps even before the beta, but you put everything up on the whiteboard, and then start crossing stuff off due to time.

Post-beta we went back to that board and started circling things we crossed off because we knew we had the time between beta ending and launch. But disarming traps was going to be tricky and some of the other features we wanted (better flare guns, firecrackers, etc) needed some additional TLC to get done. The last thing we wanted to do was put certification at risk. And sticking in a new feature during certification is a major no-no. 

What's the design we have? Great question, glad I asked it. ;)

Counselors will be able to disarm Jason traps, but there's a catch. To disarm a trap, the counselor must be crouched and very, very close to the trap. If standing, walking, jogging, or running, the interact prompt will not appear. Thus, SNAP > Ouchy. But wait, there's more! Once crouched and near trap, you must have a pocketknife in your inventory to disarm the trap. This gives the pocketknife more than one use, pretty neat. Ready for the fiendish, difficult decision part of this? (muahahaha)

As you are crouched, with the pocketknife in your inventory, and the "disarm" prompt appears, you select it. Your counselor starts working on the trap. As they work on the trap you see the trap slowly start closing. It's not a quick snap shut. It's slow, as if your knife is turning a screw, thus loosening the tension of the trap. Just as the trap is nearly closed (disarmed) you hear a light "SNAP" sound. What happened? Your pocketknife blade just broke, making it useless. Your knife disappears from your inventory...no more get out of Jason jail free card.

Decisions, decisions. Do I step on the trap? Do I move on and let someone else deal with it? Do I disarm it and burn my knife? Tough call. But we're not done yet. :)

There are also perks that we did not discuss. Perks that might lessen the chance that the trap will go off when you step on it. Or perhaps the trap will still snap on you, but there's a chance Jason won't be alerted. These are just a few ideas that we feel are great additions to this feature. We could also tie the pocketknife breaking to a game of chance, perhaps linked directly to the luck stat. There's a lot of directions we could go with this.

Here's the thing. I don't want to make a promise I can't keep, but we're going to do our best to get this design implemented, and submitted as a day one patch. Again, I can't promise it because it requires art, animation, and engineering, and the latter two are up to their ears with certification at the moment. We already predicted that when we announced Jason traps, that this would be a hot topic of discussion. We have a plan in place, I just want to remain transparent and keep our promises.

Thanks again guys for all the passion. Can't wait to see each of you at Crystal Lake.

-W   

I absolutely LOVE this decision! Not an easy choice, but their IS a choice.

I'm lovin it

It keeps the tension and the hard decision of sacrificeing your weapon or leave the trap for an unlucky councilor, or step on it heal than fight and pray.

This gives the councilor a chance, and may encourage Jason's to plant the traps in not so obvious areas like the phone box.

Will Jason be alerted if the trap is disabled, and can a councilor fail at disarming the trap? Maybe instant amputation is the penalty >:)

This will add such a good factor to the game for traps. I like how this will give the counselors a choice between a pocket knife for a last ditch escape, or a disarmed trap for the masses.

Well done guys!!

Thank you so much for listening to the fans. Love you all.

1 person likes this

Happy to hear this. This seems like a good balance for both sides, Counselors won't need to step on obvious traps to blocking objectives, but do need to to think about how they use their items more.

I'm hoping the hiding mechanic gets a tweak as well since from what I saw from beta game play, it looked pretty useless. Still I'll need to play myself before I can completely judge that.

But thanks for putting my concern about the traps at ease.

1 person likes this

Thank you so much for listening to the fans. Love you all.

Like many people here this is one the things I really like about those guys: they are listening to the fans. I have much respect for that.

1 person likes this

I'm lovin it

It keeps the tension and the hard decision of sacrificeing your weapon or leave the trap for an unlucky councilor, or step on it heal than fight and pray.

This gives the councilor a chance, and may encourage Jason's to plant the traps in not so obvious areas like the phone box.

Will Jason be alerted if the trap is disabled, and can a councilor fail at disarming the trap? Maybe instant amputation is the penalty > :)

The fail is listed, if the knife breaks before the trap is completely disarmed it sounds like it will still be active. You're out a knife for nothing.

If disarming consumes a pocket knife I'm pretty sure the risk-vs-reward decision is extremely unbalanced. If I've already noticed a Jason trap I can avoid it, it's essentially disarmed at this point anyways. I can talk people out of stepping on it but I can't talk Jason out of killing me. 

What if it was a skill test like repairing the phone but they lose the knife and take damage on a fail, while getting to keep the knife on a pass? 

The fail is listed, if the knife breaks before the trap is completely disarmed it sounds like it will still be active. You're out a knife for nothing.

I would take my chances. Who's to say if Jason will even give you a chance to use your knife.

If disarming consumes a pocket knife I'm pretty sure the risk-vs-reward decision is extremely unbalanced. If I've already noticed a Jason trap I can avoid it, it's essentially disarmed at this point anyways. I can talk people out of stepping on it but I can't talk Jason out of killing me.

What if it was a skill test like repairing the phone but they lose the knife and take damage on a fail, while getting to keep the knife on a pass?

I think what they are saying is you won't fail the disarm it just takes a pocket knife to do it and you have to be crouched. The only thing that's left to chance is if you lose the knife or not.

I would take my chances. Who's to say if Jason will even give you a chance to use your knife.

Maybe the number of pocket knifes per map will be augmented, who knows.

When the traps were first announced, it was pretty crazy coming out with strategic placement for them. Very predictable that we would need a way to deal with them, since laying a trap down at the phone repair box will without a doubt be a prevalent go to strategy for a lot of Jason players.

Giving us a way to combat this is pretty sweet. Thanks guys.