wes

Jason Traps Quick Q&A

245 posts in this topic

So Wes is it safe to assume the throwing knifes/tomahawks whatever they are, are limited as well. Just asking for the sake of more conversation in the forums, I think that's 1 thing that people missed is the traps that Jason has are limited and there is no getting them back once placed am I correct.

So Wes is it safe to assume the throwing knifes/tomahawks whatever they are, are limited as well. Just asking for the sake of more conversation in the forums, I think that's 1 thing that people missed is the traps that Jason has are limited and there is no getting them back once placed am I correct.

"Q: Can Jason find more traps in the world, like counselors?

A: No. These are basically consumables. Once set, Jason can not disarm and move them, nor can he find more."

Being able to disarm the traps will give the the slower more intelligent characters a slight edge over the fast strong characters.

This should make players who think they can run around the map and solve every objective a second thought and demands them to wait for a smart character to disarm the trap. Given the high risk of getting trapped and being bait for Jason.

Personally, I do not think these are going to be as detrimental or OP as people think.  Especially in the beginning of the game.

The time that it will take to lay these down, recharge morph, travel, and repeat is fairly significant given the fact each game is timed.  And my guess is that most Jason's will not be disciplined enough to stick to that strat if they see a counselor nearby while placing the traps.  I would imagine an efficient Jason would just place them as they naturally travel / stalk throughout the map.

I could see these being more of a problem at the end of the game though when only one or two counselors are left.  If the counselors cannot disarm them, maybe another viable solution would be to have the traps on a recharge timer, just like Jason's other skills.  ?

Either way, I'm excited to try them out.  :)

dandop1984 likes this

But you won't know where the gas is right away. Jason will however know where the cars and phones boxes are

I wasn't talking about putting it near the gas can. I was talking about the car's gas tank.

This new addition seems great but the fact that counselors won't be able to disarm them seems kind of stupid, it's OP. I'm aware Jason is supposed to be OP however what it seems like you guys have been doing is making Jason OP because of realism and in real life Jason would be OP. In real life if you were running and noticed a trap by the car door where you have to go, you would realistically be able to unarm the trap. Jason players will almost certainly abuse this and make the game to the point where there is no point in doing anything except wait out the 20 minutes which will just be boring and dull for a video game with so many mechanics that will go unused all because a player isn't able to notice a trap.

Yeah not very strategic if everyones gonna put them at the escape exits. And as a counselor u only have a couple options when spotting the trap.

1. risk yourself and step in it.

2. try find another way out.

3. get a friend to risk themselves so u can escape.

Hiding the trap will make that more desirable for outdoor locations, such as running paths or around fences.  Indoors would make it more noticeable.  Naturally deters that.

So I saw traps as a way to chase people into them.

I feel like counselors should be able to disarm but where if you mess up on the skill check even once the trap will spring and catch you in it, therefore if someone does happen to see it, they will have to rely on a really smart player to deactivate. The traps are hard enough to see as is and if counselors are lucky/skilled enough to see them they should have a chance to get rid of them.

dandop1984 likes this

I have the same concerns as a lot of other people when it comes to the traps and the "meta-game" of it all. I would love it if traps are more unpredictably placed than just "repetitively placed" in front of the car/phone etc.

So I would make it so that if you have a weapon you can "attack" in the direction and hit the ground, kinda like AJ's attack animation was sometimes (I think some of the other counselors had the same attack animation) where they would swing the weapon vertical and it would hit the ground directly in-front of them. In the process destroying the trap and the weapon would be stuck or destroyed.

This would make it so people would need to spot it first, so if Jason is placing it very obvious places like in front of the car/phone etc. It would be very easy to "disable" them. But also making it so you would need to attack and not click on a button coming up, so we don't see people creep around and the moment they see the ability to press a button (because a trap is nearby) they can disable it, but they'll actually need to know where it is and hit it with that weapon.

Hiding the trap will make that more desirable for outdoor locations, such as running paths or around fences.  Indoors would make it more noticeable.  Naturally deters that.

So I saw traps as a way to chase people into them.

I will most likely be placing them outside cabin doors and windows. U will need to be very careful coming out to see it and not get trapped. Seems a good idea to me.

Well we haven't played with this feature yet... I'm not looking forward to seeing this play out if you can't disarm them. Sounds way too OP. Hopefully once every Jason player places them on key locations every match, they will realize it was a bad idea for them to be undisarmable.

Guess we wait for the inevitable slaughter...

I like the idea of smart chars being able to disarm them and failing a check on the disarm results in you getting caught in the trap. I think that's a pretty fair balance and will help prevent the meta of Jason placing them in very obvious locations every single match because it won't be viable to pop them on all of the escape objectives without having them disarmed. It'll encourage using them more strategically to catch players by surprise.

ResolutionBlaze and dandop1984 like this

I'm gonna be honest. I personally think the trap idea is dumb. I can already see them placing it by the phone and Car door/engine/gas-cap. And just wait until someone steps in it because they have too. Then he teleports in and kills them. Chasing off anyone else is around and depending on which Jason he is. Just use another trap there. Rinse and repeat for free kills. Now I know that not every single Jason is going to do this. But I know a good chunk of players will. People will exploit anything for easy points. I say Jason should just have the throwing knifes. Or have him be able to use the camper's Bear-Traps against them works just fine too. Just my personal thought.

ResolutionBlaze likes this

I'm gonna be honest. I personally think the trap idea is dumb. I can already see them placing it by the phone and Car door/engine/gas-cap. And just wait until someone steps in it because they have too. Then he teleports in and kills them. Chasing off anyone else is around and depending on which Jason he is. Just use another trap there. Rinse and repeat for free kills. Now I know that not every single Jason is going to do this. But I know a good chunk of players will. People will exploit anything for easy points. I say Jason should just have the throwing knifes. Or have him be able to use the camper's Bear-Traps against them works just fine too. Just my personal thought.

Agreed.  In front of doors is fine or windows because there are plenty of alternatives.

But in front of a car, or phone?  With the only way of getting away with it is to trap yourself or trap someone else?  With no way to disarm it or counter it?  It sounds like an established exploit.

No.  I think this is a huge misstep and I think we should spank the Devs a bit for it.  Especially given we are so close to launch.

Overall I don't think it'll be too big of a deal; It's an easy thing to patch out.  But big misstep, pls fix.  Not sure how they came to this conclusion that it would be a good idea.  All Part 2 has to do is spam traps at the Driver's Seat at the Car, and every time it goes off he kills the guy with Morph, chases everyone away, resets the trap, and he can delay the game theoretically for a maximum of five kills. 

I don't care how people twist it; this is not a good idea, and being "open minded" about it involves us ignoring exploits that this can have.  That would be the opposite of objective.

- If dead set on being unable to disarm, remove this by making a certain area around the car/phone/boat unable to have a trap placed.

- Allow Counselors to disarm, punishing Jason for obvious trap placement.

- Allow only Counselors with High Intelligence (7 or higher) to disarm traps, allowing them further use against Jason and punishing Jason for making traps too obvious.

I have overall been supportive for most decisions that Gun Media/Illfonic has made.  This is one choice that I am sure will be exploited and hurt the overall enjoyment of the game and would take Dev time away to fix it later on that could have been put into something else.  Modify the disarm mechanic, or lack thereof.

FancyBonnie and Bad News Crews like this

hey wes,randy,ronnie and the whole F13 ARMY i have a solution to the traps that might be the answer.First i noticed in the beta as i watched many streamers i sometimes saw them come across a tree branch thats supposed to be a pick up weapon now you guys know as well as i ain't no damn tree branch that would ever hurt jason.Second i noticed nobody was picking up the tree branch when they would come across it and if they rarely did pick it up it was often discarded for a better weapon or health spay etc..So what i propose to you all is in order for a counselor to disarm a trap jason has set and only if you can spot the trap if you find the tree branch counselors can put it in their inventory and use it to disarm a trap they come across therefore making the tree branch they put in the game more useful cause why have it in the game if noone is using it.

Sounds like to me that none here has ever seen an F13 movie.  How many traps have their been in the movies?  Part 2 and the remake.  Did at ANYTIME did the counselors disarm the traps?  No they did not.  Seriously.  Since when do dumbass teenagers have the ability to do ANYTHING?  Hell I am 45 and still do not know how to change the oil in my car, but you guys want these 16 year olds to be fixing phone boxes and generators etc.  Now you want them to disarm traps that they have never seen before due to Jason making them.   Sorry but when I was 16 I wasn´t walking around disarming bear traps in my jaunts to see the latest film or hang out with my friends.

You guys want these teenage counselors to be rocket scientists or something.  Geez.  Kids are stupid.  Teenagers are really stupid.

Do NOT give the ability to disarm traps for god sake.

I completely agree. Counselors should be able to disarm the traps if they see them. Jason placing them by the fuse box and cars would get old fast if you could t disarm them. Just have it set up like repairing the fuse box or fixing the car. Each counselor would have a shorter/longer disarming length.

I fully expect that will happen. Given he has limited traps, it will also add another reason for players to cooperate to survive. Having a knife or someone to watch your back when you go to fix the box or the car will be a given.

Sounds like to me that none here has ever seen an F13 movie.  How many traps have their been in the movies?  Part 2 and the remake.  Did at ANYTIME did the counselors disarm the traps?  No they did not.  Seriously.  Since when do dumbass teenagers have the ability to do ANYTHING?  Hell I am 45 and still do not know how to change the oil in my car, but you guys want these 16 year olds to be fixing phone boxes and generators etc.  Now you want them to disarm traps that they have never seen before due to Jason making them.   Sorry but when I was 16 I wasn´t walking around disarming bear traps in my jaunts to see the latest film or hang out with my friends.

You guys want these teenage counselors to be rocket scientists or something.  Geez.  Kids are stupid.  Teenagers are really stupid.

You don't seem to be aware of what we are actually concerned about.

Movies don't justify poor development choices.

FancyBonnie and Bad News Crews like this

I personally don't see what the fuss is about. The traps are already able to be disarmed. Step on it and BAM! disarmed.

You can thank me for my insight later :D

It does not take a genius to jam a stick or a baseball bat into a trap to set it off.

It does not take a genius to jam a stick or a baseball bat into a trap to set it off.

Simple: Jason should not be able to get away with free Bear Trap bait for lazily put Bear Traps, IE Objective Trapping.

That kind of predictable behavior should have Jason punished by losing a trap due to its obvious hiding spot, not have the survivors punished for absolutely nothing on their part.  They should be punished due to their mistakes, not because they have no choice in order to even get to a means of escape.

But the survivors are punished for lazy Bear Trapping and forced to bait someone with their life or someone else's life.  That's ​not fair and not fun!

​Survivors shouldn't be punished for doing their damn job.  Jason should be punished for being so predictable and allowing his traps to be easily noticed.  Trapping the Objective is cheap, and predictable, and the only ones who are punished are the survivors even though it is predictable and cheap and should be easily avoided.

Having no choice but to sacrifice your safety just to move the damn bear trap out of the way is bullshit.  This isn't scary.  It isn't horrifying.  It isn't intense.  It's a burden and a huge annoyance if this is allowed to continue.  It should be stopped NOW before launch because if these kinds of choices make it to launch it's going to drive people away from the game.

Splatterhausen likes this