wes

Jason Traps Quick Q&A

245 posts in this topic

This is the first update for the game I've read that made me shudder/cringe/worry. This cannot end well for counselors. I was always one of those "HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE OP,HE'S JASON" guys,but now it's getting a little out of hand. I'm not too worried though,because this will get updated/reworked soon after launch I'm sure because a lot of players are going to hate this. 

Nothing is set in stone. I'm pretty sure Gun. will check how this feature is affecting the counselors chances of survival and then made some changes it if they needed to.

I think that until we play the game and see what happens with those traps we can only speculate about most of its pros an cons. Maybe we should give it a chance and see if this is all that bad(or good) first and then let the devs bring some adjustments later if deemed necessary.

It just makes sense to be able to disarm the traps if you see them. If a trap is right by the fuse box clear as day, you should be able to do something. Use a weapon on it and then lose it. It's going to get really annoying seeing a trap, not being able to do anything and you can't complete the objectives.

Personally, i think the TRAPS are *very well hidden* by Jason, with the leaves.  If a counselor is able to spot this... they deserve to be able to get down there and disarm it.  Having counselors being able to disarm the traps, would create a perfect balance.  Because it would prevent Jason's player from setting them in OBVIOUS (trolly) places.  

Having a counselor now able to deactivate a trap, will push Jason's to set the traps in more DISCRETE places, more *CREATIVE* places, rather than in front of a car, or by the phone box where they (the counselors) will MOST DEFINITELY see them, and deactivate the traps.

Also, in scenarios where counselors may be trapped in a cabin, and Jason has left the place surrounded by traps and he leaves to come back for them later.  A potential counselor could come by, and deactivate the traps and set them free to leave.  Rather than be stuck.  You don't ever want to leave the players stuck. 

Maybe counselors could go through the minigame to disarm it and if they fail one, their arm gets trapped in it :'D

Nothing is set in stone. 

Yeah,that's why I'm not too bent out of shape about this. It's going to get changed/reworked for sure. 

"Damn....He trapped the car. Driver side and gas side"   - "Step in it"  - "No,YOU step in it!" - "Nah man,I don't have aid spray" - "Okay,let's just do the phone." - "He trapped the phone...." - "Step in it."  - "No,YOU step in it." - "OKAY FINE." - *SNAP*  *MORPH*  "HES KILLLLLING MEEEEEE."

Wes, did say let's see how things play out and they can change it...but in reality if you see a bear trap you are going to disarm it with something other than your leg...but in a horror movie you're not going to do logical things.

I will say...in defense of the opposition to this idea. I would've had the trap not be the bear trap and instead the sling trap as seen in Part 2. I know it would be difficult to pull off without a tree around. My workaround to that would be having the rope come down from the sky and you just have to imagine there is an imaginary tree up there.

This trap would be entirely different from the bear trap the counselors use as it would do NO DAMAGE. However the catch with this trap is you need another counselor to set you free. Since not every counselor is guaranteed to have a weapon. We make the counselor do a mini game to free the trapped counselor whose lifted upside down by the sling. Obviously the smarter counselors would succeed at this better. Perhaps as a small side effect, IF the counselor fails the trap, then its an instant death since the counselor is upside down. Though that last bit might be too much and instead having to only repeat the mini game is enough of a task.

However, to counter the fact that the counselor trapped needs another counselor to free him. Perhaps if a counselor is trapped, then Jason can't use his morph feature and instead only his shift. To prevent counselors from trolling Jason by intentionally setting themselves in the trap to disable his morph feature. You can only get caught in these traps once.

This is awesome. Will there be a snare and a snare specific kill? Do traps have their own unique kills in general,?

I love it! I was wondering the same thing myself. For those that are against it, I would say to have an open mind. Unfortunately, trolls are always gonna be present and some are always going to be playing for points. It's the nature of the beast.

I personally fully expect to die 9/10 times as a counselor. In my mind at least, balance is the least of my worries. Survival should be a treasured thing not a 50/50 thing. In my mind anyway, definitely the exception and not the rule. 

It just makes sense to be able to disarm the traps if you see them. If a trap is right by the fuse box clear as day, you should be able to do something. Use a weapon on it and then lose it. It's going to get really annoying seeing a trap, not being able to do anything and you can't complete the objectives.

I understand what you're saying and disarming the trap with a weapon could be a good idea. But I still think we should wait and see how it goes with what's in place right now.

first, off let me just say i am incredifuly greatful and excited that you guys have made this game for friday the 13th fans and new fans in the future.  I also want to add that every time I think you guys have out did yourself you come up with something even more awesome. it will be really funny and interesting to see how I and other players use stalk and bear traps. that will definitely be some interesting footage lol. :D  :) 

QUESTIONS I HAVE ABOUT BEAR TRAPS:

1) Will other counselors be able help their trap friend ?

Ex: if me and a player are running together and they get trapped can I assist them by helping them get out of the trap?

2) As Jason, will I know only when I look at my map or will something come across my screen  that alerts me or just a loud bear trap sound?

3) can Jason get trapped in his own bear trap?

4) is there a specific kill that you can do if a counselor is trapped ? I don't want to know what the kill is exactly but I would like to know if there is one.

5) you said that each Jason has a different set of bear traps, meaning one could have two and another could have five. How did you decided how many bear traps each Jason has?

I understand what you're saying and disarming the trap with a weapon could be a good idea. But I still think we should wait and see how it goes with what's in place right now.

I guess say someone is being chased by Jason and a trap goes off, does Jason continue his chase or does he morph over to where the trap was set off. I could see a Jason player having a brief dilemma. It's like, I almost have this person, but my trap went off...what to do.

makred78 likes this

Trying to view this with an open mind. But feel it could hurt the game on release. Don't mean to come across as negative, but feel honesty is the best policy. Jason players trapping the fuse box and car doors in every game will become old quickly. Also feel it only fits the Part 2 incarnation of Jason tbh.  Think it's safe to say if this feature had been in the beta - it would've been one of the main gripes alongside issues like the overuse of Vanessa etc. Again, truly appreciate the amount of thought , work, blood, sweat and tears that goes into the components of this game - but I can only call things as I see them.  

All this trapping seems a little "Spy VS Spy", and not so much Friday the 13th Parts 1-9 IMHO.  

yea my thoughts about this IMMEDIATELY turned to.. Where would I trap?

1'st Right in front of the phone box. (wait for this one to pop and rush it immediately as the person more than likely had the fuse)

2nd around cars. (in front of the gas tank and hood of the blue car to be specific)

3rd in front of windows on particularly good Juke Shacks. (The barn was an example of this)

Now... is it unfair that he can put traps in these places and they cant disarm them? Kinda. If a survivor spots this and cant do anything about it it feels kinda lame for the survivor. I recommend a trade off to disarm traps, and the counter balance could be giving Jason a few MORE of them. Someone recommended sacrificing weapons to disarm traps. That's a neat idea! It makes a survivor who was trying to install gas have to pause. They cant carry gas AND a weapon so they would have to drop the gas to go get a stick or something... OR have a team mate help them.

Honestly tho, depending on how long the trap hold you for its probibly not a big deal if one bites you unless Jason immediately shows up. Bear traps only held campers for what? 3 seconds? So if a Jason trap hold you for 4 its not too big a deal.

As a matter of fact putting them in front of objectives would be kind of wasting an opportunity at that point. What would be more devastating? Trapping them across the map for 4 seconds as they work an objective when they expect it? Or trapping them randomly as they try and juke you through a window?

The later would almost certainly kill them.

well I could see players just setting them off as soon as Jason morphs away. He's got a cooldown so they would have time to escape. I guess we will just have to see how it all plays out.

Hey guys,

So about being able to disarm traps. You have to take into account a few things. 

Jason has so few traps and they are consumable. This creates a few different issues.

Trapping key points may seem like an ideal place to drop a trap, but too easy to get Jason ambushed... The counselors seem to turn into the Avenger Squad in an instant and setting that trap off is no longer to his advantage. It is a wasted consumable and he has been beaten to near Undeath again. 

The second point you need to look at is if these traps are disarmed they would need to be returned to Jason because they are in such a small quantity and can never be returned. Now on the flip side of this, I would say he would have to go to that location and recover the trap. 

These are just a few things off the top of my head. 

I disagree respectfully. I say wait to see what people do with it. That's why there is multiple ways to get out. You haven't played a single second with these traps and you're closed off to it. Any Jason worth his salt will put them in better places than at the hood or the phone so you could catch the maximum amount of people.

Most of the time jason isn't gonna sit there and wait for a trap to go off. Maybe put one by your hut to protect mother(if it helps kill him) put one outside a window you don't smash right on the back door of a cabin etc...

Hey, no worries man.  We're all voicing our opinions here.  No hard feelings.

As for not having played with the traps, you're right.  I haven't.  What I have done is played plenty of games where meta-gaming ended up taking over the whole system.

Let me give you a few examples.

Marvel Avengers Alliance - New heroes released tended not to be balanced properly with few if any counters to their abilities.  PVP tournaments ended up being endless groups of just those few heroes.

Battlefield 3 - When people figured out you could balance on top of the UAV drone, teams would put snipers on top of building rooftops they weren't normally supposed to be able to access.  They became nearly impossible to kill.

As others have said, people will play to win.   As a result, if there's a few strategies that guarantee a win for the Jason player, they're going to take it 100% of the time once they figure out.

And as I've said on a previous feedback post, people can understand losing if they messed up or were outfoxed by another player.  But if the game is unfair by accident or design, people are not going to play very long.

Especially for digital releases where the window for a refund is insanely small.

Please note: Nobody has a problem with the traps, per se.  This just strikes some of us as an easily foreseeable problem that can be avoided rather than cause trouble at launch.

Also, Jason is alerted to the trap no matter where he is.  He's not going to sit at the trap.  He's going to wait to be told it's gone off and they he'll teleport exactly where he knows a counselor's been immobilized.  That's the problem.

Trapping key points may seem like an ideal place to drop a trap, but too easy to get Jason ambushed... The counselors seem to turn into the Avenger Squad in an instant and setting that trap off is no longer to his advantage. It is a wasted consumable and he has been beaten to near Undeath again. 

Beating on Jason...wha? What F13 gameplay footage have you been watching?

Well just have to see how it goes on release ^^ I like the idea of the counselors not being able to disarm them though.

Unless you have a trap or another counselor waiting for him. Unpredictability is the best weapon Jason has, and any good Jason player will know this.

I do agree having the ability to disable would balance the odds a bit, maybe making it a Strength skillcheck instead of Intellect to do it though.

Unpredictability isn't the best weapon Jason has when you can just plant traps at every means of escape on the map. Do you lay a trap at one of the escape game mechanics a counselor must use to succeed or do you set a trap randomly somewhere in what is a huge map? Setting a trap at all the core game escape mechanics counselors must use to proceed is the obvious option. 

We're all gonna know traps have been set at key locations, no one's going to want to put the car battery in, fix the fuse box etc "It's your turn to trigger the trap that'll be set at the fuse box...I did it in the last game". Breaks immersion. The aim is to survive...why would any player be so foolish to "take a hit for the team"? You're gonna get a bunch of players who won't want to complete objectives - who won't survive the night at Camp Blood because of a trap mechanic, not because of the cunning and ability of Jason.  I wanna be outsmarted and outthought - any person eating a pizza and chatting on his cell phone can set up traps at core escape mechanic points and just wait to morph there as soon as the trap is triggered. 

thatdudescott likes this

This don't really fit but still intriguing if when Jason's out of traps he still makes a leaf pile.

I love the idea of Jason having traps, but I agree councilors should be able to disarm them.

It could make for a good mini game objective and if the councilors fail once the trap snaps their hands or feet, so intelligent characters will have an advantage

Unpredictability isn't the best weapon Jason has when you can just plant traps at every means of escape on the map. Do you lay a trap at one of the escape game mechanics a counselor must use to succeed or do you set a trap randomly somewhere in what is a huge map? Setting a trap at all the core game escape mechanics counselors must use to proceed is the obvious option. 

We're all gonna know traps have been set at key locations, no one's going to want to put the car battery in, fix the fuse box etc The aim is to survive...why would any player be so foolish to "take a hit for the team"? You're gonna get a bunch of players who won't want to complete objectives - who won't survive the night at Camp Blood because of a trap mechanic, not because of the cunning and ability of Jason.  

I'm curious to know if they stop cars and if people are going to just keep picking Jasons with the most traps. If they stop cars,I would trap the front and back wheel of each car,and the phone box.  Also,my mentality was KILL KILL KILL. Whenever I caught two people watching over each other at a phone or a car,I wouldn't go for the grab kill and let someone loose. I would swing the hell out of my weapon and double kill.

I love the idea of Jason having traps, but I agree councilors should be able to disarm them.

It could make for a good mini game objective and if the councilors fail once the trap snaps their hands or feet, so intelligent characters will have an advantage

You won't have time to complete a mini game, as soon as Jason is alerted he's going to morph straight to you for some easy XP.