wes

Jason Traps Quick Q&A

245 posts in this topic

Hey campers! With the recent announcement of Jason having traps, we thought it would a good time to break this feature down with some Q&A. 

Q: Are Jason's traps the same asset as the counselors trap?

A: No. Jason spent a long time in the woods, alone. Honing his skills as a hunter and killer. This is a trap that he has created, using found items in the woods. Old pieces of wood, rusty nails and spikes and perhaps old bed springs from an old mattress to slam the trap shut. 

Q: How do Jason traps work?

A: Jason has traps in his inventory (hud icon). Once selected (button press) Jason kneels and places trap on ground, and then covers the trap with leaves. 

Q: How many traps does Jason have?

A: Each Jason will have different amounts of traps. For example, J2 might have 5, whereas J8 only 3. 

Q: Can Jason find more traps in the world, like counselors?

A: No. These are basically consumables. Once set, Jason can not disarm and move them, nor can he find more.

Q: Can counselors disarm traps?

A: At this point, no. We want to wait until after launch to see what you guys think about it. We want your feedback and then we'll make changes if deemed necessary. For what it's worth, we think they are pretty fun as is.

Q: Once a counselor steps in a trap, how long does it take to break free?

A: Slightly longer than stepping in a counselor's trap. 

Q: How much damage will the trap do to counselors?

A: Slightly more than the counselor's trap. 

Q: Can Jason set traps anywhere on the map?

A: Jason can only set traps within exterior areas only. He can not set them inside a cabin/building/underwater/docks. Only on ground textures. 

Q: Can Jason set traps near doors, windows and the car?

A: Yes. And it's awesome. You might think, at first blush, that this is too OP and could be used to troll. But Jason only has a limited amount of these.

Q: When a counselor steps on a trap, how will Jason know?

A: The Jason player will hear a "trap snapping shut" sound. He will also see the traps he set on his minimap. Traps that have gone off will be flashing on his map. He will see the same thing when he opens his Morph map interface. 

Here's a couple screenshots of a set trap by Jason, as well as a counselor stuck in said trap.

As Jason sets the trap, he covers it with leaves thus providing some camo to the trap. Choosing where you set the trap is crucial. We chose to set one here on the road so you can clearly see it. But a smart Jason would set this trap near other "world" leaves, thus making it nearly invisible. 

O8NmnoH.jpg

Here a counselor was unlucky and stepped in one of Jason's traps. The time it takes for the counselor to break free from the trap is only slightly longer than a counselor's trap. (if you follow)

vV8cUAs.jpg

Ooh that's exciting, there's also a huge element of danger too if a counselor who is already wounded hits a trap it'll probably finish them off. Placing them in the road could make for an interesting idea if Jason is chasing someone into the road as a car is driving out, imagine him having stuck his trap in a shadow or something. Counselor trips the trap, then it slows the escaping car down, or forces them to make the ultimate decision to either run the counselor over or stop to help the trapped one. So many dynamic ideas in each of this post. I love it.

Also to quickly point out...in that image of Jenny trying to get out of a trap, you'll notice little red icons on her minimap. This is a dev thing, as we can summon Jasons and Counselors at will, and in doing so we get weird HUD issues.

That's actually the minimap Jason would have, thus showing him where his set traps are. 

Rainskull likes this

My only concern with traps NOT being able to be disarmed by the counselors... is if, Jason spawn-camps the objectives with traps.  Although I don't think he really has enough to hit EVERY objective properly.

We'd have to consider it. (Theory Scenario)  5 traps.   Morph. One on the car hood and front-door at least.  Morph.  One on the phonebox.  Morph. One on the boat...  And now I have one extra to do with as I will.

While it won't affect the entire team, it guarantees that SOMEONE will have to take a dive, and step in a trap, to at least deactivate it, so the others can do their work.  

(This could be a fun thing for some), but it would push counselors to get first-aid sprays, to go out and prepare for that scenario, so someone could get sprayed RIGHT after they step in it.  But some players, may not like that for the fact that it forces a player to get injured in order to progress.

If I missed something inbetween this scenario, in order to fix the situation.  Let me know.  I am absent minded sometimes.

(Correction: Boats are near docks, he wouldn't be able to set there.  So there would have to be TWO cars, and Phonebox) for him to troll the objectives, which also leaves him open to set even MORE traps around the car, if there's only one car on the map).

Not being able to disarm traps sounds a little too OP, especially for the Jason's with more of them. Counselors will basically have to take the damage to disarm them and do objectives if Jason places them near objectives like the generators or phone box. Maybe being able to drop items onto it will work? 

It says to me that the Jason's with the most traps are going to be more viable than the one's with fewer if they can't disarm them. Traps are going to end up being one of Jason's most reliable tools. 

And again a good counter to the more fleet of foot characters, with some careful planning. Very strong ability for Jason.

It'll be most interesting to see how they play out. Sounds like it could be too strong with a clever Jason, but I know you playtest a ton and we'll have to wait and see how we all get on with it.

Being able to set traps feels like a nice nod to Part II but also the 2009 version, too.

Risinggrave likes this

Very cool. Only thing is that if you do get trapped, that may be it for you if Jason has his teleport ability charged. If I remember correctly from playing the beta, those bear traps were pretty strong. I saw a few people get stuck accidentally and were limping after. So Jason's traps will be even stronger? Sounds like instant death if you get stuck lol. Which is cool and will send people's panic through the roof if they get trapped.

I would also think if Jason made these traps out of scrap they would be easier to get out of since they're not as strong structurally as the steel ones. 

Not completely sold on this idea if I'm honest. Won't every Jason just place them by the cars and phone fuse box? Could get a bit repetitive/predictable quickly? 

i don't think so, we just need to be smart and remember to choose unpredictable places

thats the point  :D

This is really cool! I wasn't sure at first about the idea of Jason having traps, but now I think that this plus the throwing weapons and stalk ability will provide him many options at his disposal to take care of business. It will also add to the variety in term of gameplay as Jason.

i don't think so, we just need to be smart and remember to choose unpredictable places

You missed their point.  If you trap the fuse box, the counselor can't repair it without stepping on the trap.  Jason is auto-alerted to someone doing so regardless of passing checks, teleports in and gets a free kill.  Rinse and repeat.

Personally, i think the TRAPS are *very well hidden* by Jason, with the leaves.  If a counselor is able to spot this... they deserve to be able to get down there and disarm it.  Having counselors being able to disarm the traps, would create a perfect balance.  Because it would prevent Jason's player from setting them in OBVIOUS (trolly) places.  

Having a counselor now able to deactivate a trap, will push Jason's to set the traps in more DISCRETE places, more *CREATIVE* places, rather than in front of a car, or by the phone box where they (the counselors) will MOST DEFINITELY see them, and deactivate the traps.

Also, in scenarios where counselors may be trapped in a cabin, and Jason has left the place surrounded by traps and he leaves to come back for them later.  A potential counselor could come by, and deactivate the traps and set them free to leave.  Rather than be stuck.  You don't ever want to leave the players stuck. 

Liva, FelixFarside, Juez and 5 others like this

Why would you though? At some point in the game counselors are going to try to fix the phone or escape in a car...why wouldn't you place the traps there?  Guaranteed catch. 

You missed their point.  If you trap the fuse box, the counselor can't repair it without stepping on the trap.  Jason is auto-alerted to someone doing so regardless of passing checks, teleports in and gets a free kill.  Rinse and repeat.

Unless you have a trap or another counselor waiting for him. Unpredictability is the best weapon Jason has, and any good Jason player will know this.

I do agree having the ability to disable would balance the odds a bit, maybe making it a Strength skillcheck instead of Intellect to do it though.

Why would you though? At some point in the game counselors are going to try to fix the phone or escape in a car...why wouldn't you place the traps there?  Guaranteed catch. 

Oooh, my bad, i got now, counselours can't disarm traps.

Maybe, counselours will be forced to pursue other ways to survive untill the trap caught somebody?

Having a counselor now able to deactivate a trap, will push Jason's to set the traps in more DISCRETE places, more *CREATIVE* places, rather than in front of a car, or by the phone box where they (the counselors) will MOST DEFINITELY see them, and deactivate the traps.

I completely agree. Counselors should be able to disarm the traps if they see them. Jason placing them by the fuse box and cars would get old fast if you could t disarm them. Just have it set up like repairing the fuse box or fixing the car. Each counselor would have a shorter/longer disarming length.

Unless you have a trap or another counselor waiting for him. Unpredictability is the best weapon Jason has, and any good Jason player will know this.

Cannot disarm trap.  Cannot fix fuse box or car without stepping on trap.  Cannot achieve win condition for counselors without alerting Jason.  Having another counselor there or a bear trap won't do them any good as Jason won't stay down long enough to fix the box/car.  That's assuming they can put Jason down at all.  It will be a slaughter.

The phone can not be fixed without stepping on a trap....likewise the drivers door of both vehicles can not be entered without stepping on a trap.

I'm all for being unpredictable....but it's going to be the easiest way to get kills and most Jason players will be using this tactic - and it's going to become frustrating quickly. 

Exactly.. players aren't playing to 'pretend they're Jason'.  A majority of people are playing for points.. so they WILL abuse the system and play that way.  The objective is to set these mechanics up so people are FORCED to play as Jason, and not some troll, abusing game mechanics for kills.  While YOU might roleplay Jason.  Other players are competitive.. they will play, and they will find loop-holes, and exploit the system to get as many points as they can.  Keep the system straightened out properly, and people stay in Jason's mindset, and not *how can I win the quickest* mindset, which veers away from  "Playing as Jason" and is now just "Playing for Score".