CrazyRalph

Item Idea: To counteract Rage

45 posts in this topic

So had this idea, what if a randomly spawned once per match, possibly with only 1 use, item that could be found was Pamela's sweater. Anyone could use it, the effect would cause the Jason player to lose rage ability. It would nullify it, only once per match. To work though, the Jason player would have to see the player with the sweater on, in rage mode. Just a cool nod to the films and nes game. Thoughts guys?

Gdain and Risinggrave like this

I'd prefer the sweater just be a regular item that auto-activates if Jason is within 10 feet of you, and stuns him once per match for 5 seconds, while a voiceover from Pamela inside his head tells him that it wasn't really her.

Risinggrave likes this

I think it needs a different use. If rage, once activated, never burns out, its basically your ass. Finding the sweater would give a last ditch effort to a player in dire need, or one that isnt with options, who has been left or whatever. We dont need no more stuns for jason. Weapons can stun him, bear traps stun him, firecrackers stun him, flareguns stun him, pocketknives stun him. Too many stuns as is.

I think it needs a different use. If rage, once activated, never burns out, its basically your ass. Finding the sweater would give a last ditch effort to a player in dire need, or one that isnt with options, who has been left or whatever. We dont need no more stuns for jason. Weapons can stun him, bear traps stun him, firecrackers stun him, flareguns stun him, pocketknives stun him. Too many stuns as is.

Even if you managed to land every single stun on the map on him, he'd still only be stunned for maybe 1-2 minutes total.  Bear trap stun is only useful if you can bait him into it.  Weapons break after a few hits and unless you're an athletic counselor, you've got no real shot of stunning him, unless you find the shotgun.  Flare gun is also quite difficult to land a stun with, since you have to get a headshot.  They're all quite limited in quantity, as well.

Once rage activates, counselors are pretty much supposed to lose.

That's the point. your supposed to lose...it's a tool to turn the tides in a rather dire situation. it adds excitement, never knowing if it will work or not. To your point of stuns breaking, lasting only awhile etc, that doesn't negate the fact that there are multiple ways to stun him. Ive seen rage activated pretty early on, allowing the Jason player to in a sense wipe the board. Also, Ive seen A Jason player get stunned at the right time and the player escape. You only need one good stun used at the right time to get out. Still more ways to stun. there needs to be more items with different effects and value.

"oh I found this, this stuns, oh and this one...this stuns, oh look here..cool..this stuns..."

its nice to find something and really decide, hey I could use this or, this isn't going to help my strategy, ill leave it, etc. hell, why not make the med spray stun Jason too if you spray it in his face or under his arms?

Once rage activates, counselors are pretty much supposed to lose.

Gotta agree. The sweater sounds like an interesting idea and it would make sense for Jason to be a little bit dumbfounded by it, but I personally think that Pamela's sweater already has some kind of other use.

I went digging through the files in the beta, and I found a few various bits of script and some .uasset files (Unreal Engine asset). Pamela's sweater is explicitly mentioned in one of the file names as something like 'pamela_sweater_stun.uasset', so it's believed by quite a few people that the sweater serves some kind of currently unknown purpose. Once the full game comes out, I intend to open the .uasset files in the Unreal Engine and see what it is they do :)

If thats the case, yet another way to stun jason? How creative! Why dont you just stop playing then once rage activates? Hell, im supposed to lose any way, pretty much have no chance, i might as well just quit now. I think you guys are missing the point but..oh well. This is the type of thinking that gives us crappy hollywood remakes lol. The idea behind stopping the rage is that it soothes him, calms him down...reminds him of his mother. Why would a sweater stun him? In the game, when jason is stunned, he either freezes and moves slow, OR falls straight back on the ground. Thats pretty dumb if it does that. Like whats the basis of the sweater doing that?

The function of the sweater is currently unknown :) The only thing that we're going on so far is the actual file name. Until we view the code for that file and the files associated with it (most likely viewable in the actual Unreal Engine editor), we're just speculating. Bare in mind that it's a .uasset file, which is likely the model and texture for the sweater itself. Other people have done some data mining too and found other similar file names, but nobody has figured it out yet.

I understand that, i was just going of the example name of the file. If it had stun in it, thats pretty specific in function. I love what the devs are doing. However, some decisions they have made have been on the easier less than creative side imo. Wouldnt surprise me if it was another stun item, but that would be so disappointing. Another opportunity missed.

Kodiak likes this

So had this idea, what if a randomly spawned once per match, possibly with only 1 use, item that could be found was Pamela's sweater. Anyone could use it, the effect would cause the Jason player to lose rage ability. It would nullify it, only once per match. To work though, the Jason player would have to see the player with the sweater on, in rage mode. Just a cool nod to the films and nes game. Thoughts guys?

It would give somebody incentive to hit Jason's cabin. 

It would give Jason heavy incentive to stop loitering around the cars and go back to his cabin once his mother starts complaining people are there. 

CrazyRalph likes this

Maybe it could be "buffed" even more and even rarer in event. If you add a stipulation like there must be no survivors left or everyone else has escaped. You are the last one left alone, and if you can get to the sweater and the jason player has rage, it would deactivate the rage to give you an edge for survival. Thats the requirement for it to stop rage, you have to be alone for it to work this way.

I think the sweater idea just needs to be left as a secret to whatever it does, there are plenty of stuns and the rage mode is meant to be the thing that tips the scales even further in Jason's favour. I sort of like the idea of giving the last survivor the "fight or flight" sort of instinct, but at the same time if you are the last survivor, you're meant to die, and if you escape; the feeling is probably incredible. 

People thought that about killing Jason, how did that turn out?

It was confirmed by the devs that it was in the beta at first.

I doubt that. Its baseless...but I doubt it. Either that or its too hard. I mean...the devs KNOW how to do it and even then they could only get it to happen 1 in 75 matches. Shit odds.

Love the idea,but think of it this way. If they wanted to add something like this,wouldn't that mean they would have to go back and possibly redo character models to allow them to wear the sweater? I'm sure it's not as easy as a days work. Then suddenly,sweater bugs are popping up,taking time away from certification. At this point,I just want the game out.

Love the idea,but think of it this way. If they wanted to add something like this,wouldn't that mean they would have to go back and possibly redo character models to allow them to wear the sweater? I'm sure it's not as easy as a days work. Then suddenly,sweater bugs are popping up,taking time away from certification. At this point,I just want the game out.

Same I hate waiting, I'm too impatient lol and the thing about the rage is even though it does tip the scales to Jason's favor it doesn't necessarily mean he will win you just have to have luck on your side and not suck at being a counselor lol

They could aalways go the cheap way and have it appear in the inventory box. That way it would be a surprise to the Jason player when the counselor had it. And... Most of my ideas are for patches or dlc...i dont want nothing new put in game. Just the game finished as well. Ideas i throw out now are for the future.

The truth is, some counselors or players have no luck. You may be having a bad match, or you could be a bad player. It would be to assist someone in those scenarios.

thatdudescott likes this

If the sweater is going to put into the game the only use that would make sense is for the wearer not to show up on Jasons sense net for a period of time. In part 2 when Ginny puts it on he loses her for a minute.

Now if he has rage activated and comes across the person with the sweater it could maybe just reset his ability. Since I think they said rage is now automatic it would reset it but it wouldn't take as long to come back. Just a thought.

CrazyRalph likes this

They could aalways go the cheap way and have it appear in the inventory box. That way it would be a surprise to the Jason player when the counselor had it. And... Most of my ideas are for patches or dlc...i dont want nothing new put in game. Just the game finished as well. Ideas i throw out now are for the future.

The truth is, some counselors or players have no luck. You may be having a bad match, or you could be a bad player. It would be to assist someone in those scenarios.

The thing about multiplayer games and I feel this game especially is sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time and being a good or bad counselor doesn't really matter sometimes Jason just pops up on the map where you are at the worst moment and you die and for Jason sometimes you just choose the wrong place to morph to or take a left when chasing a counselor when you should have taken a right or etc, and your right I know In other games like overwatch for example, sometimes you just have a bad match were you do terribly

I like Gdain's idea more, we don't want Jason to lose a mechanic, having the ability to temporarily raise your hiding from Jason's sense for say maybe three minutes would make a huge asset without making him weaker. I don't want to repeat game mechanics either like having the wearer take any less damage, but a secondary benefit if you're caught with the sweater, maybe you can slip out of it and confuse him, causing a pocket knife-like stun for the counselor to get away.

Something like this could be hidden *anywhere* on the map (as long as it's on land) and be low visibility to make it tough to find to balance out the advantages.

Risinggrave and Gdain like this

nah cus the sweater is already on the island under her head and what would that mean if they eventually add the teen jason and it has something to do with the sweater on it

i personally don't like the idea of a rage counter then again i am extremley bias to making jason stronger and keeping survivors weak

I'd rather there'd be no Rage counter, either.

I want Jason to remain OP. Hell, I hope they buff him further post-release if they want to make it tougher. He should really be a huge challenge at all times.

Whole thing really relies on keeping him a scary threat.

SHODANFreeman likes this

The sweater already does something, it just hasn't yet been figured out.

I have my ideas as to what it is used for, but I'll wait for the game to come out and put theories to the test.