Photo

Counsellor Abilities Removed from the Final Game (Wes Confirms)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ToneEnthrall

ToneEnthrall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I was really looking forward to this feature, but respect the decision for them to be removed. Hopefully they can be reinstated after launch as it's still an excellent mechanic for players to give each counsellor a unique power against Jason and as a member of the team.

Wes on the removal of counsellor abilities:

"The abilities were throwing balance off. Making some counselors too OP. We didn't want to just stick them in there without more time tinkering with them. We saw it was going to take more time, and we, instead, decided to shelf them so we could focus on getting the game launched. :)"

Wes on the possibility of reintroducing counsellor abilities:

"It's possible. We would like to see you guys play the full game first. The beta, you only saw a handful of counselors and three jasons...on one map. We'd like to hear what you guys think about all the counselors and options you have before making the decision on active abilities. It's not off the table. Would just like to see how you guys play and what your thoughts are."

Source: https://www.reddit.c...onskill_system/

What are your thoughts?

• ToneEnthrall likes this

Gdain

Gdain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I think we won't know anything until we play.

ToneEnthrall

ToneEnthrall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I think we won't know anything until we play.

Absolutely, but as the post states, that whole feature has been removed from the game indefinitely. There was a leak previously which listed various abilities. I am sad they have been omitted but accept the trade off when it comes to balance. Let's hope they get the right formula so we can have abilities back!
  • DialM likes this

Gdain

Gdain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Yeah I have no idea what they may of been planning to do with abilities. I think that if I remember from the beta you got points to put towards a counselors "perk" I think. Maybe they thought that was sufficient and abilities maybe threw off gameplay?

Gobb

Gobb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Eh, i don't really see what they could have done with the feature of counselor abilities.

I had a few ideas in my head like the nerdy girl could have an "insta-repair" ability. bypassing the whole minigame. 

Or vanessa having a ability where she could refresh her stamina when depleted. but only once per game.

or maybe have chad get some kinda re-roll on his items in his inventory to maybe get some better outcome.

idk just throwing some ideas out there.

DamonD7

DamonD7

Some kind of goober

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationTavistock, Devon, UK
If it's something that's gonna require more testing to balance right, removing them for now does sound like the best plan.

It's good there's a chance for them in the future and that'll be based in part on how players get on with the game.

Unbalanced and broken abilities, and how you unlock them too, can really be the bane of multiplayer games.

Poetic_Injustice

Poetic_Injustice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCanada, EH?

didn't realize their were going to be player abilities even before they removed it :(

Well it won't take away from my experience with the game even though that could have been a really cool feature for the counselors.

Kalopsia

Kalopsia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I think having perks is good enough. If any counselor should have an ability it should be Tommy Jarvis. 

Plox

Plox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

So, I wasn't aware of there being any abilities in the first place. If they were leaked, can someone point me where to find them?

‚ÄčI think there is definitely some room for special abilities in the game, but the tricky thing is always balancing them out, so it makes sense that they would be scrapped for now if they were getting in the way of the release.

Gdain

Gdain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Each counselor if I remember had 3 boxes that were locked during the beta titled "abilities". I'm sure if you googled you would find it. Not sure on link.

Plox

Plox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Oh, I remember that. Did we ever have any details as to what those abilities actually were, though?

Gdain

Gdain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Not that I know of. I guess they were working on it and it didn't seem to play out well, so they scrapped it for now I guess.

DEATH

DEATH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationEverywhere.

Not that I know of. I guess they were working on it and it didn't seem to play out well, so they scrapped it for now I guess.

This. I think once they realized that counselors were surviving better than expected the abilities threw the balance off too far in the counselor direction in a game where Jason is supposed to be a bad ass.

SomebodyFancy

SomebodyFancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah I honestly found myself surviving nearly every match as a Vanessa. I only remember dying like 15 times out of 50 plus matches. Deborah I had a harder time with. If I was found I could not run for very long. I'm glad they removed counselor abilities. They are pretty good as is.
The added ability to use flare guns and firecrackers as weapons is good enough.

VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Some ability ideas(Should probably only be able to use no more than ONE at a time):

1. Reload: Carry one extra shotgun shell to be able to reload the shotgun for an extra shot.

2. Armed to the Teeth: Hold up to 2 weapons by transferring one to your item slots.

3. Book It: Speed is increased by 30% for 15 seconds, stamina regen is reduced by 50% for 60 seconds. Fear is maxed(tunnel vision with no map) for 45 seconds Cooldown time: 2 minutes

4. Bullseye: When in combat mode, you can throw melee weapons.

5. Black Belt: Attack speed, weapon durability, and block effectiveness are doubled.

6. Delinquent: After the car is fueled and the battery replaced, you can hot-wire the car for a skill check(makes noise).

7. Diver: Dive underwater to escape Jason's sense. Drains stamina. Jason can sense you if he is in the water too.

• greywolf1319 likes this

Forum signature violation. Please review the rules. 

Fatalfox

Fatalfox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

I'm kinda sad to hear this... I think we could have used it because we need a bit more then just the stat points to differentiate the counselors. Because some of the counselors points are so close theirs hardly a difference. Maybe we will see them down the line according to his post though.  If they are taking away abilities I have a suggestion what if the counselors had their own separate skill trees then? Or at the very least each counselor had a unique one or two things that another ones tree didnt have.

• VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow likes this

DEATH

DEATH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationEverywhere.

I'm kinda sad to hear this... I think we could have used it because we need a bit more then just the stat points to differentiate the counselors. Because some of the counselors points are so close theirs hardly a difference. Maybe we will see them down the line according to his post though. If they are taking away abilities I have a suggestion what if the counselors had their own separate skill trees then? Or at the very least each counselor had a unique one or two things that another ones tree didnt have.

Or how about some counselor specific perks? I think that could be cool. Something that plays to the characters strengths or gives a slight boost to their weak spots?
  • Fatalfox likes this

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Or how about some counselor specific perks? I think that could be cool. Something that plays to the characters strengths or gives a slight boost to their weak spots?

I like this idea... camper specific perks could be rolled in later as a post launch content update.

All tho... he did say one of the Major reasons they pulled it was due to it borking the balancing. So this may be a pipe dream.

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users