wes

"Sense" and Sound Blips Retuned for Jason

33 posts in this topic

Since the beta we’ve been tuning Jason’s abilities. “Sense” got the most attention, as it basically controls pacing early on in the match. Here’s what we did:

We started out by making sure that “sound blips” (the little circles that appear on screen for Jason) were appearing properly for Jason AND were tied correctly to counselor action and stats. Meaning if you choose Vanessa and start running right when the match starts, Jason will see a sound blip near your location. Granted, it’s not giving away your exact location, but it gives Jason a basic idea of where you are.

Next we tuned Sense to work on proximity to Jason’s location. Think of Sense like a net he casts out. At the start of the match, the “net” is only so big in circumference. Meaning if you’re on the other side of the map, and Jason is on the other, when he uses sense, he won’t see you yet. As the match continues, and he gets stronger, his “net” gets wider and wider. Once Jason hits “Rage” his net is practically the entire size of the map. Thus making “Rage” even more powerful and increasing tension near the end of the match.

What this amounts to is that the first 2-3 minutes of gameplay, is a little slower...giving counselors more of a shot to find parts, find the fuse for the phone, or at least get a gameplan together. There’s still the unlucky counselor that Jason might morph to and dispatch. If you’re running at the start of the match, Jason has a higher chance of morphing to your area (say blairs cove for example) and then narrowing down which cabin you might be in. If you’re a counselor and you spawn, say, right next to the car...it is smart to put some distance between you and the car. Some Jason players morph to the car first just to see if someone is sniffing around that area.

Smart counselors spawn in, crouch immediately, get their bearings and start moving slow towards a building..find another player and form a plan. Be quiet, use flashlights, keep fear mitigated and don’t do anything dumb for the first 2-3 mins of a match. Hopefully, by that time you’ve at least found one part, or at the very least have a few defensive items in your inventory, or have a couple other counselors that you’re rolling with.

We’ve found that this change upped the fun factor immensely. It provided more outcomes of counselors getting a vehicle started, or getting the cops called...to be clear, that doesn’t mean that a lot of people escape. But it does give counselors hope. Choosing and playing the counselor correctly matters. Play to the strengths of their stats. Also using items and controls properly, ups the chances of you getting out alive. But ultimately what this change provided was longer matches. Longer matches mean more “water cooler” moments. Near misses, and “almost made it” type of stories.

Looking forward to getting all of you guys back in soon. I know you’re all dying to play. ;)

-W

33 people like this

Thank you for taking the time to post this Wes! I know you guys are extremely busy. Can't wait to play ;) 

1 person likes this

i love the changes, i hated in the beta the last 5-10 mins 1 or 2 players would hide i could never find them most of the time covering the whole map

2 people like this

Great post Wes, can you give us anything on how console cert is going

1 person likes this

They have made a few comments on Twitter saying that everything is going well.

Wes, ETA for the game ?? ^^.

Sounds great, thanks for the update/info. :)

1 person likes this

So Jason's sense only covers a certain radius that slowly gets bigger as the match progresses? Thank god, it was way too easy to find counselors in the beta. 

3 people like this

I love this change in concept, hope it plays as well as it sounds like it would.

1 person likes this

Would like to see how Jason changed in terms of making him more powerful to balance this out.

It provided more outcomes of counselors getting a vehicle started, or getting the cops called...to be clear, that doesn’t mean that a lot of people escape. But it does give counselors hope.

Isn't that what this series is all about? Giving people a little bit of hope they'll make it out, then dashing that hope with violent death?

Can't wait to give it a spin. None shall escape!!! 

1 person likes this

Does this mean that stealth has been buffed in any kinda way? like, say for instance that your in his "net" and your crouched, does that stealth stat give you a chance to not get detected or will you always be detected when jason has his max range?

1 person likes this

love the post, it makes the jason mechanic way more realistic and can give some hope and fun for the counselors!

1 person likes this

It reads as his ability to sense noise will increase, rather than it becoming an automatic detector.

If you're good at keeping quiet, even in the later game you could avoid him. Just that, by that point, making noise is something Jason will spot very easily no matter where you are.

Does this mean that stealth has been buffed in any kinda way? like, say for instance that your in his "net" and your crouched, does that stealth stat give you a chance to not get detected or will you always be detected when jason has his max range?

Stealth relates more to the sound you create as a counselor. When jason uses "sense" he's sensing your fear (the red outline). So in the early portion of the match think about how much sound you're making...mid-way it's about mitigating fear. End of match...GTFO because you're going to die.

7 people like this

I love how these new changes sound. It'll be nice to have a little bit of breathing room early in the match, and it's definitely gonna be fun feeling damn near unstoppable as the match goes on. I'm getting chills, I can't wait.

1 person likes this

So it sounds like the "net" previously was static and did not change. I wonder if the "net" late game expands to be even larger than it was previously by default, or if the late game net is equivalent to what it was prior? I'm wondering if it is going to be next to impossible to hide from Jason late game (compared to in the beta). In the beta it seemed doable to a certain extent.

​Either this could mean that it will be more difficult to survive the entire time limit because late game the "net" will be so huge that you can't really hide, or it could mean that it is even easier because it will be easier to survive longer in the first place.

Sounds good.

This could mean Counselors have the advantage in the early parts of the game and Jason in the later. Which is fine.

I 2nd this.

1 person likes this

That really would make things feel like a movie where the tension builds the longer counselors linger in the grounds but doesn't give a feel like Jason sees everything

1 person likes this

^hey bro where the heck u been? My bad lol that was meant for tyrant666

Great post, this means more fun and more tension as time goes by :)

1 person likes this