IH8YH

Halloween franchise

42 posts in this topic

I love the original, 2, 4, and H20. The producer's cut of 6 is really good, especially on Blu-ray. 5 is a guilty pleasure.

Strongly dislike 3, Resurrection, and both Rob Zombie films.

The rob zombie films were horrible i seen them once and that was more than enough dont think i will ever watch them again

Love Halloween. But in my mind I pretend it was only Halloween, Halloween 2 and H2O.

First 2 parts are only good in this franchise, and maybe H20-20 years later.I dont like those that was directed by Rob Zombie

The original is the best but my favourite has always been Halloween II for whatever reason. I love the idea of being trapped in a hospital- literally the one place you should always be safe.

The only one from the original series I don't enjoy is H20. It tries desperately to fit into the self-aware models of Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. I think Kevin Williamson did the script, can't remember.

I like Resurrection, it's so hokey and lame. That's it's charm. Rick Rosenthal, director of Part II, directs it as well.

Fuck the Zombie movies, especially the second one. It's my least favourite movie of all time. It's actually insulting.

Risinggrave likes this

Rob Zombie's films proved without a doubt that he has no understanding of what made Michael Myers scary, and holds no level of respect for the character.

His films turned Michael Myers into a vehicle for his own pent-up rage at his white trash upbringing and all the kids who bullied him.

He completely demystified the killer, and turned him into an unlikable little brat who was just killing people out of petty revenge instead of an unstoppable force of nature killing for absolutely no discernible reason.

Rob Zombie's films proved without a doubt that he has no understanding of what made Michael Myers scary, and holds no level of respect for the character.

His films turned Michael Myers into a vehicle for his own pent-up rage at his white trash upbringing and all the kids who bullied him.

He completely demystified the killer, and turned him into an unlikable little brat who was just killing people out of petty revenge instead of an unstoppable force of nature killing for absolutely no discernible reason.

Pretty much exactly. Plus having Danielle Harris topless in a Halloween movie was gross. Yes, she's very attractive but we know her as a little girl in those films. Made me cringe.

I'll give the Halloween franchise this. It has my all time favorite kill in a slasher movie.

I like the first two and H20. I skip the rest. (I'm not counting Season of the Witch as it doesn't concern the Myers mythos.) 

Yea i try to stick with Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween 3 (hey i like it) and Halloween H20 (just for the final fight and the ending).

Pretty much this right here. ^

Part 2 was the end of the story for me though. Looking at it from a purists pov. However, that may change now that Mr. Carpenter is back on board for the next installment. We'll see.

SHODANFreeman likes this

The guys on YouTubes channel "We Watched A Movie" (sorry no link), have a post on the "Halloween Returns" film that was cancelled, they had access to the whole script and lay it out on the 45 min. or so post. Very informative, and I think it is going to be the basis for the new release as well.

Basically, Michael gets caught that night, and is sent to death row. Things get real bad when they are getting ready to execute him. It almost sounds as if part 2 is disregarded. I believe revisions will be made to make part 2 relevant, and Dr. Loomis will have been killed at the hospital explosion. His son or daughter or protege, will pick up the mantle of Michaels 'Ahab'.

Check out the Youtube post (might have to look a bit), try to ignore the giddiness of the two guys, and listen to the script rant, it's quite good. I believe the new offering will be very similar.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are writing the new film. Green is directing, John Carpenter is exec. producing. 

From quotes I read from McBride, this movie picks up after the original part 2.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are writing the new film. Green is directing, John Carpenter is exec. producing. 

From quotes I read from McBride, this movie picks up after the original part 2.

Exactly. The original script had Michael being apprehended at the Doyle house, with sheriff Brackett and his deputies surrounding the home, Michael walks out, and kneels down looking at the ground. With Loomis there as well.

The new take, I believe, will have him being arrested at the hospital. Though crispy-crittered, he's still alive, but Loomis isn't. I can then see the remainder of the old script now coming into play, although changed around a bit, to incorporate more stalking of either Haddonfield or Russellville.

The Razor's Edge likes this

Exactly. The original script had Michael being apprehended at the Doyle house, with sheriff Brackett and his deputies surrounding the home, Michael walks out, and kneels down looking at the ground. With Loomis there as well.

The new take, I believe, will have him being arrested at the hospital. Though crispy-crittered, he's still alive, but Loomis isn't. I can then see the remainder of the old script now coming into play, although changed around a bit, to incorporate more stalking of either Haddonfield or Russellville.

Eh, I don't know about Loomis being dead. It just doesn't seem right. I say this because, I can see Kurt Russell playing Loomis or Sheriff Brackett, and Jamie Lee Curtis returning to the series to play Loomis.

Eh, I don't know about Loomis being dead. It just doesn't seem right. I say this because, I can see Kurt Russell playing Loomis or Sheriff Brackett, and Jamie Lee Curtis returning to the series to play Loomis.

Actually, I think talks of Viggo Mortensen being approached about Loomis. Jamie-Lee? Who knows, maybe in a parent type role ala' Mrs. Doyle or Mrs. Strode. Then I heard that Loomis was being killed off because it would save the integrity of Donald Pleasance's unique take on the character. Thus allowing for new talent to come into play in the form of his son or protege' or something.

Either way, as long as John's on board...so am I. ;)

Actually, I think talks of Viggo Mortensen being approached about Loomis. Jamie-Lee? Who knows, maybe in a parent type role ala' Mrs. Doyle or Mrs. Strode. Then I heard that Loomis was being killed off because it would save the integrity of Donald Pleasance's unique take on the character. Thus allowing for new talent to come into play in the form of his son or protege' or something.

Either way, as long as John's on board...so am I. ;)

I should have specified Jamie Lee playing Loomis' daughter. I'd be cool with Viggo as Loomis too.

Yes, same here - as long as JC is involved, I'm all in.

Mark K likes this

In regards to the Halloween franchise, I always like 1, 2 and H20 as my top 3 Halloween films because I see it like a trilogy.

I have not seen Parts 4 and 5, but I did see Part 6 and the Producer's Cut. The Producer's Cut of Part 6 seems to feel like the first film even with the occult angle and the soundtrack as well. Part 6 scared me as a kid especially the ending and how we never got a sequel to it even though Daniel Farrands had some ideas. But I'm OK with H20 ignoring parts 4-6. Part 6 was one of the darkest Halloween films in the series in terms of Michael being so brutal.

Resurrection? I thought it was not needed and the way Michael came back was cliche. I'd rather watch Part 6 over and over than see part 8. I still wish they went with Daniel Farrands' pitch for Halloween 8 that was later used for the comic series from Chaos Comics that continued from Part 6. Basically, the ending for his pitch was that Laurie became Michael after actually killing him and went crazy. It could've ended the series on a good note and allow for a reboot.

I've only seen Rob Zombie's first Halloween and it seemed more like a realistic take on Michael.  I didn't bother with the second one, the first one ended just fine. He got shot and died, that's it.

I didn't mind Part 3, it was an interesting concept on people forgetting the roots of Halloween ( I thought it was more of a criticism of Halloween's commercialization) and I look at it as if the filmmakers were going on their original plan of doing a different Halloween story every sequel like an anthology.

Halloween Returns sounded interesting, but can't the franchise just rest.

That's my two cents on the series.