IH8YH

Halloween franchise

42 posts in this topic

just rewatched them all...

as much a classic the first part is... and part 2 is quite good too.

Danielle Harris performance in 5 is outstanding

but the rest of is really fucking terrible and stupidly bad.

specially the copout on how he survived part 7 is the most stupid crap i seen in a while

I like them all up to Halloween Resurrection.  I really liked that SCREAM FACTORY made Halloween 6: Producer's Cut finally available for public purchase.  I just wish that they would have fleshed out and finished the Cult of Thorn/Mark of Thorn storylines.   

I remember as a young teenager being really into the cult storyline and the idea of the bloodline being tainted. As an adult, I have trouble trying to remember why is dug it so much. I liked H20 well enough. And also hated the nonsense of Michael's survival in Part 8. I remember reading a leaked screenplay of that movie like 9 months out from release in theaters and just flipping out over his survival and how the movie treated Laurie. I wrote a lengthy blog post about it. I remember writing that I hoped the script was bullshit. But I was wrong. lol

I've gotten over it now.

Oh. And I love Halloween 3 for trying to be something different.

SCREWNUT and SHODANFreeman like this

Oh. And I love Halloween 3 for trying to be something different.

Well they were gonna do a different story each halloween but because halloween 3 done terrible at the box office they decided to bring back michael for part 4

So I wrote up a big spill on what I thought about each movie and the casts and who played the shape and after a good amount of writing I hit the delete button accidently , so lemme just say 1-6 good to fantastic movies  ,part 3 , I can live with Myers not being in it , but they should have just went with the title Season of the Witch and left of the Halloween part . Like my Running Man rant more or less . The fact that H20 had 4 different masks hurt it in my book as did the hallway shooting scene . As for resurrection , someone should have been a friend to Busta Rhymes and let him know he needed acting lessons . Plus maybe reality TV shows were not the " good " choice of topics to base the movie on . Big plus to H20 for Janet Leigh's cameo with the car she drove in Psycho . 

PnarE4w.jpg

Well they were gonna do a different story each halloween but because halloween 3 done terrible at the box office they decided to bring back michael for part 4

I'm aware of that original plan. Honestly, I agree with it and I'm glad that no one has ever officially retitled the Halloween movies. It probably would've been easier to pass off had the the second movie not been the next night follow-up for the first movie. Like if Season of the Witch was part 2 and Michael appeared in the movie near the end or something like that. Perhaps that could've worked better, eventually letting Part 4 or 5 be a return to Michael Meyers.

The movies probably wouldn't have made it that far, if I'm being honest, but it's fun to think about what could have been.

As for resurrection , someone should have been a friend to Busta Rhymes and let him know he needed acting lessons . Plus maybe reality TV shows were not the " good " choice of topics to base the movie on .

Busta was a poor decision, it made for some interesting comedy, but that's rarely a good path for a slasher franchise to follow. It's hard for horror movies to recover after getting to silly. I recall my theater laughing so hard at the scene where Busta berates Michael out of killing someone because Busta wanted to be "Michael" and scare some kids. Too silly.

But I don't just blame him for Halloween 8. There were a lot of problems, but at least it didn't kill the franchise.

I feel the final nails in the coffin were the Rob Zombie movies. I know the dude is a huge horror fan, but I feel like he missed the point with his remakes. Namely being that he tried to justify Michael's killing intent by showing us his childhood and giving him a psychopathic background. Blaming a mental illness, where the one thing that should've carried over was the idea that he was just evil. Also. Everyone is always so dirty in his movies. It's like he hates having characters who know what a shower is.

Davidt and 10ofSwords like this

Busta was a poor decision, it made for some interesting comedy, but that's rarely a good path for a slasher franchise to follow. It's hard for horror movies to recover after getting to silly. I recall my theater laughing so hard at the scene where Busta berates Michael out of killing someone because Busta wanted to be "Michael" and scare some kids. Too silly.

But I don't just blame him for Halloween 8. There were a lot of problems, but at least it didn't kill the franchise.

I feel the final nails in the coffin were the Rob Zombie movies. I know the dude is a huge horror fan, but I feel like he missed the point with his remakes. Namely being that he tried to justify Michael's killing intent by showing us his childhood and giving him a psychopathic background. Blaming a mental illness, where the one thing that should've carried over was the idea that he was just evil. Also. Everyone is always so dirty in his movies. It's like he hates having characters who know what a shower is.

I could not agree with you more , especially when I bought the director's cut and it had the " different " escape scene than in the theater . I was watching it with friends and was a bit embarrassed to tell the truth . That and I understand he loves his wife , but I am not sure she should have leading roles in every movie he does , but of course that is his call .

The 2nd film was a train wreck . His interview talks about how over half of the film's original filming got destroyed when some amateur ran it through and X ray machine at the airport . That may have been some of it , but he also talked about his " white horse " ideas in the film and not only was I totally lost at the concept , but I just flat out though it was dumb and fit no where in to the movie . Maybe in the Black Stallion returns they can have a white horse that takes you to the spirit world , but in Halloween you are suppose to travel via Butcher's Knife .

You hit the nail on the head with the mental illness vs Evil , mental illness makes him just another psychotic , he was evil in pure form , waiting for a time to unleash his rage . How can fans possibly understand so much more then a " fan " who is creating the movie ? I just palmface and move on , a tear in my eye about one of my favorite series . Once again disappointed at what could have been .

Oneiric likes this

When it comes to Rob Zombie's movies, I feel like you need to be on Meth or LSD to truly enjoy them.  Too show how much I hate (strong word..i know) his stuff, I'd rather be forced to watch a Uwe Boll movies all day then sit through a Rob Zombie feature.

apart from The Devils Rejects ALL of Rob Zombies movies have been complete dogshit.

his movies are SO cliche filled that it really hurts, he wants to do Horror and tries so hard that it hurts (and not in a good way)

The only movie he could do that i would love to see would be WEREWOLF-WOMEN OF THE SS...... and after that he should stop making movies altogether.

10ofSwords likes this

what also pisses me off about Rob Zombie is the fact that he HAS to cast his stupid wife in every fucking movie he does. and she CANNOT act at all, shes atrocious. no one ever casts her in anything, only him in his own movies. that tells you something about the "actor". 
If she wasnt his wife, she wouldnt even be in his movies.

The halloween remake was horrible way too long of a prequel story to why michael became a psychopath i dont think the sequel was any better. I rather just rewatch the old ones than see a rob zombie halloween movie again.

It's been awhile, but I remember Annie's death scene in Rob Zombie's saga was really long and unnecessary.  Like with flashbacks to her childhood.  I feel like if you want to make your audience feel empathy about a victim's death, you should do so with character development before the actual death scene.

10ofSwords likes this

It's been awhile, but I remember Annie's death scene in Rob Zombie's saga was really long and unnecessary.  Like with flashbacks to her childhood.  I feel like if you want to make your audience feel empathy about a victim's death, you should do so with character development before the actual death scene.

that is because Rob Zombie is one of the worst film makers to ever disgrace the face of the earth. 

that is because Rob Zombie is one of the worst film makers to ever disgrace the face of the earth. 

Yea I think Rob had two good movies but after that his movies just seemed to suffer from "Tim-Burton'itis". it variations of the same themes, while Tim Burton it was the 50s-60s fashion and putting his current love interest in the movie Rob Zombie it was white trash and putting his current love interest in the movie.

IH8YH likes this

I enjoy every film of the franchise with the exception of Halloween Resurrection which in my opinion is one of the most pointless films ever made only the first 10 minutes give or take is worth watching if just to see Jamie Lee buy the farm and btw I call total BULLSHIT on how Michael Myers is alive for it he did not trade places with anyone because no person would act that way they would have taken off the mask and not try to attack someone like a retard.

Rob Zombie's Halloween 1&2 are an abomination not only to the franchise, but all of cinema. I'd put the F13 remake on the level of Citizen Kane when compared to Zombie's Halloween movies. Having said that, John Carpenter's Halloween is my all time favorite horror movie. The original Halloween 2 is an excellent sequel, and I also enjoy H4 and H20.

SCREWNUT likes this

Seen all of them except the Zombie versions, never bothered with those. And I guess number six, Curse, is an arguable point due to how chopped up that film was (I hear the director's cut was finally put together and released a year or so ago).

First one is a classic and I'm actually real fond of part 4. Danielle Harris is such a sweet sympathetic lead. The rest range from kinda okay-ish to bad.

But those two films, I do definitely have time for.

final_guy likes this

The funny thing is, I enjoy Zombie's first Halloween movie... but only until Michael escapes. After that, it's just kind of a boring retread of the first film. I think it would have been way better had it not be a Halloween movie and just been its own slasher movie, cause the slipping sanity of Michael is actually pretty interesting to me.

As for the originals, I really only like the first 2 and H20 to any degree. I feel like a big problem is that there isn't any variety in the movies. Michael stalks the same neighborhood and uses the same knife for almost all of his murders. Meanwhile, Jason fights psychics, goes to New York, becomes a zombie, etc. Myers wasn't really given much interesting to do after the 2nd.

And now, unpopular opinion time... I actually like Halloween 2 more than the original. I find the original can be kind of boring to a modern slasher fan, as it just takes so long for it to really get going. Halloween 2 feels much more with the times, with a wider variety of kills while keeping the creepy suspense of the original. Plus, the hospital setting is just a fantastic choice.

The original is one of my favorite Horror films ever and I also love the 1981 sequel, 4 and H20. I like 6 more than most and like both of Rob Zombie's films a fair bit. I'm meh towards 5 and borderline hate Resurrection. 3 is awesome but I share the sentiment of many that it should've been released as a seperate film. I'm happy all these years later though it's finally so much more respected.

And of course, got to give respect to Michael Myers. One of the greatest Horror icons and next to Jason one of my favorite slashers.

Really liked the first two, admired SoTW for its intention, I think I liked Resurrection when it came out and I also enjoyed H20. Though it's been a while. I'll always consider the first movie as an all-time horror classic.