Riskman2982

Mass Effect: Andromeda

87 posts in this topic

That's what I heard. I mean I don't really care. If I want to romance a character I'll play the gender they prefer. However what dragon age did with that trans character was really annoying. He reminded you he was trans every single convo. We get it bioware.

You might be right.  Well it might have been a bit much for some players, I know that the character was refreshing to see in an industry where the majority of characters are white cisgender males.  In my opinion, I was okay with the character and his charms.  He's with a mostly all male merc band.  Their leader Bull demands only the best to join his outfit.  Maybe Bioware was just trying to "educate" some of the mindless masses.  Which for the most part either failed or was called "lazy writing".  Still, you gotta like that they did it.

I have to laugh at how some people think sexual orientation and wanting a little recognition in our hobby, is a political statement or a pushing of an agenda.  Ha ha ha.

You might be right.  Well it might have been a bit much for some players, I know that the character was refreshing to see in an industry where the majority of characters are white cisgender males.  In my opinion, I was okay with the character and his charms.  He's with a mostly all male merc band.  Their leader Bull demands only the best to join his outfit.  Maybe Bioware was just trying to "educate" some of the mindless masses.  Which for the most part either failed or was called "lazy writing".  Still, you gotta like that they did it.

I have to laugh at how some people think sexual orientation and wanting a little recognition in our hobby, is a political statement or a pushing of an agenda.  Ha ha ha.

If I made a character whose purpose is to be a cis male, that'd be boring as hell.

But for some reason those same characters, if they rest within a "minority" or "oppressed" group gets special exceptions for being bland as long as their character revolves around them being a part of this so called "oppressed group" and as long as their suffering comes from being a part of said group.

If I made a character whose purpose is to be a cis male, that'd be boring as hell.

That's your opinion.  I can respect that.  However I know people that make female characters simply because they want to see that character's ass swing as they play the game.  Others (like moi) make the main character as close to themselves as possible.  It's that "Immersion" feeling that others where talking about in other threads.  Anything that grinds my gears is when one group likes to speak for another group...even though they have no idea what it's like to be in said group. 

However Blaze, I can make you one promise.  This is the last time I'm going to discuss or talk to you about anything.  Your not worth the energy it takes to type.  Have a nice life bud.  :)

Survival likes this

That's your opinion.  I can respect that.  However I know people that make female characters simply because they want to see that character's ass swing as they play the game.  Others (like moi) make the main character as close to themselves as possible.  It's that "Immersion" feeling that others where talking about in other threads.  Anything that grinds my gears is when one group likes to speak for another group...even though they have no idea what it's like to be in said group. 

However Blaze, I can make you one promise.  This is the last time I'm going to discuss or talk to you about anything.  Your not worth the energy it takes to type.  Have a nice life bud.   :)

e31.jpg

I was referring less for custom characters, more toward NPCs and other friendlies in games.  Any character that has backstory.  If you're talking a game like Skyrim or a game with no context to your own character, sure, that'd make sense.  It is best to make said characters a blank slate.  But I was not referring to player controlled characters.

Sure, it may be my opinion that the life of a cis white male would be boring, and likewise I find it hypocritical that somehow this same dullness is given a pass when the character is some minority.  But we can agree that a majority of people would find that boring as hell.

And trust me I don't know anything about groups and I don't pretend to speak for them or all of them.  I just hope you don't claim that you do just because you're a member of that "group" or you think you have power to tell me what I can say about said group just because I'm not a member of this said group.  Group Identity is simply wrong.  You aren't the member of one group; you are the participant of a hundred different groups collectively.  You can't speak for "Gays" or "Trans" because I happen to have more Gay and Bi friends than straight friends.  Hell, my girlfriend is bisexual.  Many of those gays and trans people that I am friends with are actually Centrists or Right Winged individuals, which is completely unlike what most would see a member of an LGBT group.

That's because group identity sets the generalization that you are a self-elected representative of X group when everyone, including yourself, are the participants of hundreds of groups simultaneously.

I may not be gay or trans, but I know plenty who are, and I have insight because of that.  I don't think you should be so quick to discard my opinion just because I'm a straight white cisgendered male Christian.

I enjoyed our conversation until you abruptly told me I wasn't worth your time.

e31.jpg

I was referring less for custom characters, more toward NPCs and other friendlies in games.  Any character that has backstory.  If you're talking a game like Skyrim or a game with no context to your own character, sure, that'd make sense.  It is best to make said characters a blank slate.  But I was not referring to player controlled characters.

Sure, it may be my opinion that the life of a cis white male would be boring, and likewise I find it hypocritical that somehow this same dullness is given a pass when the character is some minority.  But we can agree that a majority of people would find that boring as hell.

And trust me I don't know anything about groups and I don't pretend to speak for them or all of them.  I just hope you don't claim that you do just because you're a member of that "group" or you think you have power to tell me what I can say about said group just because I'm not a member of this said group.  Group Identity is simply wrong.  You aren't the member of one group; you are the participant of a hundred different groups collectively.  You can't speak for "Gays" or "Trans" because I happen to have more Gay and Bi friends than straight friends.  Hell, my girlfriend is bisexual.  Many of those gays and trans people that I am friends with are actually Centrists or Right Winged individuals, which is completely unlike what most would see a member of an LGBT group.

That's because group identity sets the generalization that you are a self-elected representative of X group when everyone, including yourself, are the participants of hundreds of groups simultaneously.

I may not be gay or trans, but I know plenty who are, and I have insight because of that.  I don't think you should be so quick to discard my opinion just because I'm a straight white cisgendered male Christian.

I enjoyed our conversation until you abruptly told me I wasn't worth your time.

So I'ma make a few points coz I feel like they need to be made.

So I'm gonna go into real-talk mode. Ok so I'm gay, and I like it when I get representation in a game. What I don't like however, is someone who's never seen a gay person adding them into the game just so they can say 'diversity'. For instance, if they have to constantly remind you of their orientation, then you fucked up on writing. Having half of their conversations revolve around "Hey can I remind you that I'm gay, by the way I'm gay." or "Did I mention I am feeling totally gay today? Yeah I'm really gay guys!" is just kinda fucking stupid, nobody actually talks like that unless they're a pretentious 'cee 'uou 'next 'tuesday' who is fishing for attention. I would much rather them not put the character in at all than do that.

So if Blaze can't speak for 'the group' (Which is dumb af in itself, being gay isn't like being part of some hive mind. We're not xenomorphs. Contrary to what family guy says, we aren't born with acid blood.) I guess I'll do it just to kind of prove a point, which feels... very hypocritical especially for the fact that this conversation shouldn't even be done. This is about Mass Effect, not Bioware not actually being able to write, but fuck it, if I have to go there, I will.

First off, Bioware isn't that 'revolutionary' when it comes to lgbt issues. Let's face it, in mass effect there's two sexualities. Bi and Straight. All the female characters in mass effect are bi, all the male characters are straight. It's been that way since ME:1 and Andromeda is no exception. Your only choices if you want M:M romances are usually throwaway characters. Like boring af Kaiden, who only exists to complain about not being chosen and bitching about cerberus or redshirt "STEEEEEEVE" in ME:3. We didn't get Vega, we didn't get Thane, and we certainly did not fucking get Garrus, which imo is best bae. Coincidentally, F:M or F:F romances aren't in short supply. You could practically bang the whole ship if you wanted to. Okay, we got that part out of the way. Rant on that over. Now to the real issue.

The reason Andromeda sucks isn't because of social justice warriors (though they don't make for very good writers tbh) or anything like that. It's because they replaced most of the old team with people who either didn't have the drive, or didn't have the experience to follow up with the rest of the series. (even if Manveir Heir is a super mega ultra douche-sundae). The reason Andromeda sucks, is because it fucking sucks.

The characters are boring 'archetypes', the writing is teenager fanfic level, the main villian looks like a rock version of that little monkey guy in kung-fu panda, the gameplay is ass and buggy as fuck, the graphics look worse than the first mass effect, the animation looks like amateur source film maker footage, with hints of gmod face fuckery, and the voice acting is just... soulless. I wouldn't even pirate it, (not that I pirate anything in the first place, but that game looks so bad that it wouldn't even be worth the wait or the potential viruses) and it looks like a series killer if they can't come up with a fix or anything better anytime soon (which rumors say Devs said they won't, so ggwp there)

So... yeah, ME:A is shit, but it is not to 'da eschjaydubyuhs' and more due to the fact they hired a bunch of people who had no idea what in the fuck they were doing, and the fact they got away with it, because everyone's standards are so low they'll pay 60 dollars for a half finished triple A game, or $39.99 for the next 'early access zombies battle royale permanent alpha thanks for the money we're not actually doing anything survival simulator with a bunch of guns and no ammo'.

Survival likes this

So I'ma make a few points coz I feel like they need to be made.

So I'm gonna go into real-talk mode. Ok so I'm gay, and I like it when I get representation in a game. What I don't like however, is someone who's never seen a gay person adding them into the game just so they can say 'diversity'. For instance, if they have to constantly remind you of their orientation, then you fucked up on writing. Having half of their conversations revolve around "Hey can I remind you that I'm gay, by the way I'm gay." or "Did I mention I am feeling totally gay today? Yeah I'm really gay guys!" is just kinda fucking stupid, nobody actually talks like that unless they're a pretentious 'cee 'uou 'next 'tuesday' who is fishing for attention. I would much rather them not put the character in at all than do that.

So if Blaze can't speak for 'the group' (Which is dumb af in itself, being gay isn't like being part of some hive mind. We're not xenomorphs. Contrary to what family guy says, we aren't born with acid blood.) I guess I'll do it just to kind of prove a point, which feels... very hypocritical especially for the fact that this conversation shouldn't even be done. This is about Mass Effect, not Bioware not actually being able to write, but fuck it, if I have to go there, I will.

First off, Bioware isn't that 'revolutionary' when it comes to lgbt issues. Let's face it, in mass effect there's two sexualities. Bi and Straight. All the female characters in mass effect are bi, all the male characters are straight. It's been that way since ME:1 and Andromeda is no exception. Your only choices if you want M:M romances are usually throwaway characters. Like boring af Kaiden, who only exists to complain about not being chosen and bitching about cerberus or redshirt "STEEEEEEVE" in ME:3. We didn't get Vega, we didn't get Thane, and we certainly did not fucking get Garrus, which imo is best bae. Coincidentally, F:M or F:F romances aren't in short supply. You could practically bang the whole ship if you wanted to. Okay, we got that part out of the way. Rant on that over. Now to the real issue.

The reason Andromeda sucks isn't because of social justice warriors (though they don't make for very good writers tbh) or anything like that. It's because they replaced most of the old team with people who either didn't have the drive, or didn't have the experience to follow up with the rest of the series. (even if Manveir Heir is a super mega ultra douche-sundae). The reason Andromeda sucks, is because it fucking sucks.

The characters are boring 'archetypes', the writing is teenager fanfic level, the main villian looks like a rock version of that little monkey guy in kung-fu panda, the gameplay is ass and buggy as fuck, the graphics look worse than the first mass effect, the animation looks like amateur source film maker footage, with hints of gmod face fuckery, and the voice acting is just... soulless. I wouldn't even pirate it, (not that I pirate anything in the first place, but that game looks so bad that it wouldn't even be worth the wait or the potential viruses) and it looks like a series killer if they can't come up with a fix or anything better anytime soon (which rumors say Devs said they won't, so ggwp there)

So... yeah, ME:A is shit, but it is not to 'da eschjaydubyuhs' and more due to the fact they hired a bunch of people who had no idea what in the fuck they were doing, and the fact they got away with it, because everyone's standards are so low they'll pay 60 dollars for a half finished triple A game, or $39.99 for the next 'early access zombies battle royale permanent alpha thanks for the money we're not actually doing anything survival simulator with a bunch of guns and no ammo'.

I find this is a very common complaint with genuine homosexuals or bisexuals.

Gay representation essentially turns into, "Hey I'm gay, I'm gay, and guess what?  I'm gay."

Trans representation, as far as I understand, boils down to the same thing.

And I'm all for representing them if you can manage them or if they contribute significantly.  Hell, even a deeper political message here.  Hard to pull off without sounding preachy, but it can be done and done well.

IDK if its just me, but a lot seems to be talking about how much struggle they have over their gayness or trannyness.  It's like... okay?  I'm pretty sure that isn't the biggest problem gays or trans have in their lives, at least nobody who isn't looking to be a professional victim.  And in a fictional universe, you have a lot of routes you can take.  It doesn't have to "parallel real life".

Its like these writers think that we like hetero characters for being hetero, or that cis characters are likable because they're cis.  Absurd, right?  Well, why do they keep pulling that bull on minority characters?  We don't like gay characters because they are gay, and we don't like trans characters because they are trans (or if you do, you have no idea what these people actually want and you're doing it for feel good points in your victim hierarchy).  We like these characters because they represent those communities in media and they claim to represent them:

That's why when you make a gay and trans character, make them good characters.  The representation gives the character that much more importance to get right.  Slapping on a gay 'character' doesn't automatically make the representation good.  The character has to be good BECAUSE of what they represent, not because they represent this "group" they are good characters.

Back on topic, here's my experience updated thus far. I haven't finished the main story but I'm getting close, and this will be part of the problem as I go on. As before, I will endeavor to avoid spoilers but there may be a few light ones but nothing plot destroying. I'll try to give fair warning.

A quick breakdown on how the missions are set up. You have

Priority: These are your main story missions. 

Friends & Family: These are companion missions as well as those relating to your family,  which include locked memories in your AI that you have to unlock.

Planets: These missions are planet specific and often reward important things for completing like Andromeda Points, which is a seperate leveling system that allows you to unlock some useful Nexus-specific traits.

Additional Tasks: These are missions you can pick up in various places that very often do not come with quest markers. When you get them they can be on any number of planets and it is very much like looking for a needle in a haystack. Imagine having to find 4 data nodes on the planet...somewhere. Now go find them and good luck. That sort of thing. So where main missions show you the general area to go, these often don't, so you will spend huge chunks of time trying to figure out where the heck they are.

Let's get the buggy stuff out of the way first. Yes, there are more bugs. Right now I have done pretty much every quest I can find up to the last couple...ish story missions. I've done most all the planet stuff. 

All that said, right now I have about 6 missions that are broken in my log that I can't finish and at least one more on another planet that's part of a chain of events that's broken and can't be completed. So that's quests. And I already talked about getting stuck and the other fun stuff from before so moving on.

There's also a fun little bug right now where after you hit level 61, most of the merchants break and have nothing listed for sale. Good times.

Graphics: We all know about the character models so no need to retread that. But what I will say is that the environmental graphics look great. That's where the artists did shine. The various planets look great and there are some subtle tweaks after activating the vaults on each one that add to the already strong planetary appearances.

Traveling:

Oh dear god this. When you first travel from planet to planet, it's a sight to behold. It looks wonderful. That being said, it gets old really fast, and given that many, many missions will involve you going to this planet to talk to this guy, then that planet to talk to this one, then search for a satellite in this system before jumping back over to the Nexus to speak with this guy that then sends you back to Eos, it gets damn old fast. 

Previous Mass Effect games involved a lot of traveling and even back traveling for missions, but nothing on this level. I would wager that at least 40% of my current played time was spent traveling. And it's a painfully slow process. This alone may be my biggest source of frustration thus far.

Planetside traveling isn't so bad. You can establish Forward Bases that can be used to resupply, change squad members, weapons loadout, and quick travel. I don't recall it saying ingame that it could be used for quick travel (unless I just missed it), so I accidentally figured it out one day. But between that and an upgraded Nomad (the new Mako), you can navigate the planet pretty quickly.

Planet scanning seems a little pointless. Each planet you scan seems to give a little xp and maybe some minerals. Unless they for some reason tie into save choices somehow, they are a waste of time given the small amount of things you get for taking the long visit to each one. And unlike the previous games, you don't get missions with the option to land and explore on these additional worlds.

Story and Pacing

Being a guy that loves story and a huge Mass Effect fan, this is where I have found myself most disappointed thus far. Lets start with the pacing. The buildup has been a bit slow and there have been some issues with mission placement. As you play through you'll get various companion missions, Priority, and memory unlocks. This sometimes puts you in a position to outpace the narrative and leave things now making sense.

:::::::::::::::::::::::Minor Spoilers Ahead (nothing major but needed for the point)::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

As I was playing through I unlocked all of my SAM memory triggers and got 100% viability on all the planets. This unlocks a mission to return to a planet you first visited at the start of the game that was deemed uninhabitable. So I go there, and all the planets, including one I hadn't heard about yet by way of the Priority Missions called Meridian, were all checking in and celebrating, noting that having completed all this, certain resources could be focused on making that planet habitable in some way. 

Given that I hadn't unlocked the Priority missions or given any indication of how the story should proceed, absolutely none of that made any sense to me. It's a huge issue from a story standpoint.

There have been other little things but that is just one

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::End Minor Spoiler Section::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The pacing has been a drag so far. By this time in the original Mass Effect I had met Sovereign for the first time and had a clear understanding that he was a threat to be taken seriously. At this stage I've had one exchange with the perceived villain as well as his second. What they are doing is bad but I don't feel the urgency or the threat at this point. The Archon doesn't feel very threatening.

To compare the two, in ME you come face to face with Sovereign over comms. He gives a chilling dialogue and feels like a genuine threat to be taken seriously. The Archon is right in your face, and the dialogue option I felt most appropriate was cracking a joke. Our villain ladies and gentlemen.

Companions - Minor character personality spoilers

I've done all of the loyalty missions now, so I have a pretty solid understanding of who each one is, and I still don't really like many of them.

* Liam is still your buddy cop. He's kind of the comic relief hopeful.

* Cora is the hardcore human that trained with Asari commandos with a soft spot for gardens.

* Vaetra is our Turian supply line with the heart of gold and love for her sister.

* Jaal is our Angaren squadie from the new alien race, curious about humanity and how to save his people from the Kett

* Drack is probably my favorite and is the seasoned krogan soldier

* Peebee is kind of an asari puckish rogue. Not well animated but she grows on you after a time.

The rest of the crew are ok but not all that memorable. They are your salarian pilot, human copilot, and asari doctor.

That's my update. Hope it helps. I'm going to close out with some stuff about the AI memory triggers. It will contain spoilers so you may want to stop here if you want to avoid them.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Pretty Major AI Memory Spoilers Ahead:::::::::::::::::::::::::

After unlocking your AI memory triggers something finally happens to link this game to the previous trilogy. The person behind the initiative ran out of money, but a mysterious benefactor came forward to help fund the project (I am assuming the Illusive Man and Cerberus as it was never revealed). You learn that the project founder was murdered prior to the Nexus incident upon arrival, and through your father's unlocked memories in the AI you learn that the benefactor tried to accelerate the project to depart early after Shepard's report of the possible reaper invasion. 

After thawing from Cryo, your dad, Alec Ryder, learns that all hell broke loose after the arks left, and he is unsure of what happened to the Milky Way, but it didn't sound good. And, this is the frustrating part atm, after unlocking all that, you still don't know what happened, or who the benefactor is, nor who killed Garza.

Now I understand setting up for the sequel, but this game's plot is paper thin as it is. And it could have seriously used more of this thread unraveling to help it. So that's my final gripe on story.

I'm encouraged about the recent announcement of both the current patch and the further development and patches planned over the next couple of months and onwards. It sounds like there are a lot of quality of life improvements and fixes happening and due to happen.

That they need to happen, after all the time and money put into it, is still pretty telling and ME:A has unfortunately become a bit of a poster child now (among others) of how even huge staffed & budgeted games can flub the landing. Getting it right rather than getting it just out the door is an old tale but still true and what I bear in mind for F13th here.

As said, this is a series I've very much enjoyed and put huge hours into and I want to get into Andromeda. I do feel it'll be a better game in the future thanks to the further efforts of the dev team. But at present, I'm still feeling I'll be holding off until all the DLC is out and/or a Game of the Year Edition (a la DA Inquisition) before I commit the time to it.

Unless you're not already on board, It just sounds wise to give this one some time in the oven, yet.

Traveling:

Oh dear god this. When you first travel from planet to planet, it's a sight to behold. It looks wonderful. That being said, it gets old really fast, and given that many, many missions will involve you going to this planet to talk to this guy, then that planet to talk to this one, then search for a satellite in this system before jumping back over to the Nexus to speak with this guy that then sends you back to Eos, it gets damn old fast. 

Previous Mass Effect games involved a lot of traveling and even back traveling for missions, but nothing on this level. I would wager that at least 40% of my current played time was spent traveling. And it's a painfully slow process. This alone may be my biggest source of frustration thus far.

The patch today is supposed to make the travel cutscenes skippable.

The patch today is supposed to make the travel cutscenes skippable.

It just amazes me the amount of games that don't come with this feature out of the box for this sort of thing. Yeah, we get that you want us to ohhh and ahhh over the cutscenes and the detail put into them. After about the 900th time seeing them, you just want to get them over with already, lol.

And it's not just travel cutscenes. I've lost count of how many games I've played that have had agonizingly long cutscenes just before a boss or difficult part and not made them skippable. Still amazes me.   

The recent news with both this game and IO Interactive's Hitman are very depressing.

At best, it doesn't sound like ME:A is getting a sequel any year soon. At worst...well...

The cold hard importance of a good first impression and sometimes pure good timing. When I think of all the devs that put in so many hours and personal time and effort and energy and sweat into a huge project like this, for years, and then you finally get a game out and within a day it's Meme City with the worst of the animations and dialogue.

In it's own way, it puts a chill down my spine stronger than any horror movie.

50 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

The recent news with both this game and IO Interactive's Hitman are very depressing.

At best, it doesn't sound like ME:A is getting a sequel any year soon. At worst...well...

The cold hard importance of a good first impression and sometimes pure good timing. When I think of all the devs that put in so many hours and personal time and effort and energy and sweat into a huge project like this, for years, and then you finally get a game out and within a day it's Meme City with the worst of the animations and dialogue.

In it's own way, it puts a chill down my spine stronger than any horror movie.

I think the lessons here are you can't take shortcuts, use your reputation as a shield, piss off consumers with SJW antics and still want their money, and that if the masses say something they spent $60+ on is bad, you don't just shrug and tell them to deal with it.