• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

TMSStoneaxe

TMSStoneaxe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
So I say this as someone who hasn't read the script for the 2017 reboot of Friday the 13th I've heard the script is really good but since I still haven't read it I'm just gonna give my opinion on the stuff I heard while it was still being made...

So one of the things I heard was it point of view which is just in general a bad idea because then we don't get to see that beautiful hockey mask for very long and Jason's overall design

Secondly I heard it was going to delve deep into his story and even involve his dad which is an idea I'm neutral to but after the Halloween reboots attempt at this I don't have much faith in this and I don't want them to give an explanation to his supernatural abilities and I preferred the nice simple everyone thought he drowned but he didn't and his mom sought revenge she died he witnessed it and now himself seeks revenge story

Lastly by far the worst idea I heard, making all of the camper survivor people all be deep likeable depth filled characters this is a big no no only certain characters should be likeable with depth those being the surviving ones the ones who sacrifice themselves for the final person during or before the climax and lastly an occasional exception who just dies mid movie this is something that shouldn't happen the cast needs to be mostly annoying teenagers that we want to see get killed that has been the formula for every movie and it's what the creators say makes the movies work it's a bunch of obnoxious teens that Jason is going to take care of hell that's also apart of the games appeal too so why are you trying to make them likeable with more than one dimensional asshole unlikeable or generally annoying characters

Anyways I just wanted to give my opinion on the rumors before I read the script and I so far have heard that the script is good so I will say this before I sign off if it really was good this is a sad day for the franchise and that I before hearing the script was good was glad and sad it was cancelling sad because no new Jason stuff and glad because that meant a chance to have the franchise name even further tarnished like when 9 10 fvj and the reboot which I didn't want
  • Mr_Trapper likes this

tumblr_oj0jj7ttFT1rp0vkjo1_500.gif 

I'm about as stupid as most people online but not as stupid as this gif 

Mr_Trapper

Mr_Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Why did they even cancel it? 90% of the horror movies these days are just JUMP-SCARE! JUMP-SCARE! JUMP-SCARE! LOUD VIOLINS SCREECHING AND...JUMP-SCARE!

The thing I loved about F13 was that it was more about horror, even my mum remember when they came out and refuses to watch them because there is just something about it that scares her, not just an ugly face screaming with violins going frikkin crazy for a second or two. 

• ShankerOne and TMSStoneaxe like this

tumblr_o8bxu0P4qX1rkctppo1_500.gif

TMSStoneaxe

TMSStoneaxe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Why did they even cancel it? 90% of the horror movies these days are just JUMP-SCARE! JUMP-SCARE! JUMP-SCARE! LOUD VIOLINS SCREECHING AND...JUMP-SCARE!

The thing I loved about F13 was that it was more about horror, even my mum remember when they came out and refuses to watch them because there is just something about it that scares her, not just an ugly face screaming with violins going frikkin crazy for a second or two.

yeah I just get really worried with new Friday the 13th movies and general sequels/reboots to classic horror movies especially Friday the 13th because I don't wanna see any more Jason goes to hell's or Jason X's so usually seeing reboots I get skeptical especially when I see it might have the stuff listed above which are all very bad ideas

Risinggrave

Risinggrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Lastly by far the worst idea I heard, making all of the camper survivor people all be deep likeable depth filled characters this is a big no no only certain characters should be likeable with depth those being the surviving ones the ones who sacrifice themselves for the final person during or before the climax and lastly an occasional exception who just dies mid movie this is something that shouldn't happen the cast needs to be mostly annoying teenagers that we want to see get killed that has been the formula for every movie and it's what the creators say makes the movies work it's a bunch of obnoxious teens that Jason is going to take care of hell that's also apart of the games appeal too so why are you trying to make them likeable with more than one dimensional asshole unlikeable or generally annoying characters

Before I acknowledge your comment, I'd suggest reading the 2015 F13 treatment. It's good. 

With that, slasher movies (and F13 even moreso) are simplistic color by number affairs. We know what is going to happen before the film begins. People get killed by the slasher. One of the few things that elevate an ok slasher film to a great one is having victims who are fleshed out enough and not given uneven screentime or plot to let us know who will be the final girl/guy prior to the end. 

I think that moving forward, screenwriters should try to flesh out the characters and juggle them so as to keep the audience guessing. 

There really is something about the early entries that make them uncomfortable. 

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

No, the script for the 2017 movie was horrible. Look for the 2015 script that Risinggrave mentioned, written by Nick Antosca and rejected by Paramount. It's actually pretty awesome.

You've confused a few elements from both scripts. The 2017 movie was meant to be a prequel, talking about Jason's parents and his death; while Nick's script wrote the film as something of a reboot/sequel, and featured Jason exclusively as the killer.

bewareofbears

bewareofbears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Before I acknowledge your comment, I'd suggest reading the 2015 F13 treatment. It's good. 

With that, slasher movies (and F13 even moreso) are simplistic color by number affairs. We know what is going to happen before the film begins. People get killed by the slasher. One of the few things that elevate an ok slasher film to a great one is having victims who are fleshed out enough and not given uneven screentime or plot to let us know who will be the final girl/guy prior to the end. 

I think that moving forward, screenwriters should try to flesh out the characters and juggle them so as to keep the audience guessing. 

There really is something about the early entries that make them uncomfortable.

I think they actually spend too much time trying to flesh out characters, they're better left as stereotypes with one of them rising above their stereotype to be the final girl or a threat to Jason. The casts of Friday the 13th are rarely strong enough actors to carry even their own character. I think Part 4 and Part 7 handled the victims best after they stopped with the stories that focused on the final girl- Alice, Ginny and Chris in the first three.

My two cents.
image.jpg

Risinggrave

Risinggrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

I think they actually spend too much time trying to flesh out characters, they're better left as stereotypes with one of them rising above their stereotype to be the final girl or a threat to Jason. The casts of Friday the 13th are rarely strong enough actors to carry even their own character. I think Part 4 and Part 7 handled the victims best after they stopped with the stories that focused on the final girl- Alice, Ginny and Chris in the first three.

My two cents.

I can see that side as well. Sick kills are one the main draws for slasher flicks and I still enjoy them even if they hold little suspense.

I'm just thinking that hiring slightly better actors and having unexpected characters survive would help emotionally invest some people or at least make them legitimately wonder if Suzy is gonna die or not. 

Edit: Reading a second time, I think you may agree with me more then I thought. I think that making the cast feel real without giving anybody too much plot would be the best option. As you said, I knew Ginny and Chris were going to be the final girls quickly. I'm forgetting how much Alice was pushed to the fore as it's been awhile since I've watched the original.

Having characters on an even playing field would up the suspense. And then killing everybody from time to time could really throw the viewer through a loop. 

I really wish the Chris decapitation would have been in part 3, and not as a dream sequence, damnit. 

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I think the movie Get Out shows that having likeable characters who do sensible things that the audience would do makes for an overall better horror film.

I mean, why limit character depth? Makes for a fantastic experience.
  • Mr_Trapper likes this

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

Mr_Trapper

Mr_Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Not sure if you guys ever saw Jeepers Creepers, but that film terrified me when I watched it, so much that I only got over the fear of the Creeper a few years ago, I was pretty young when I watched it.

Another classic is 'Evil Dead', the first and second films were even more terrifying, quality films. 

Theeeen they make a new Evil Dead, and it's jump-scares galore, that's about it. 

TMSStoneaxe

TMSStoneaxe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

I must say i am suprised with the love towards the character depth the creators of the originals in some of the interviews for the game even said the reason the movies worked so well is that people sided with Jason and the teens were annoying jerk stereotypes You're supposed to hate them (except for final characters) and side with Jason wanting to see them dead you're supposed to make us hate them and want to kill them so we want to kill them making the kill satisfying

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

I would have preferred seeing complex characters with layered personalities, rather than the cardboard acting we saw in every other film. It would make it all the more gut-wrenching to watch someone you like die horribly. Plus, it actually makes it seem like there's a plot to it; actually taking time to focus on character development instead of just two-dimensional ones.

Not sure if you guys ever saw Jeepers Creepers, but that film terrified me when I watched it, so much that I only got over the fear of the Creeper a few years ago, I was pretty young when I watched it.

Another classic is 'Evil Dead', the first and second films were even more terrifying, quality films. 

Theeeen they make a new Evil Dead, and it's jump-scares galore, that's about it. 

I'm biased against Jeepers Creepers, but those movies totally blow.

And The Evil Dead movies were great, but I enjoyed the remake, too. Better than most horror movie remakes, at least.

• Risinggrave likes this

Risinggrave

Risinggrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

I must say i am suprised with the love towards the character depth the creators of the originals in some of the interviews for the game even said the reason the movies worked so well is that people sided with Jason and the teens were annoying jerk stereotypes You're supposed to hate them (except for final characters) and side with Jason wanting to see them dead you're supposed to make us hate them and want to kill them so we want to kill them making the kill satisfying

It is a mixed bag. Sure it's cool to watch Jason break a teen in half, but for things like chases not caring about the protagonist makes it boring. 

For example, when I watch the idiots of horror movies doing asinine stuff, I check out on the emotional level. "Fuck you, you deserve your fate."  Then I just sit back and don't care as they are being torn asunder. Apathy or outright dislike of the heroes doesn't help horror movies in my opinion. 

I would have preferred seeing complex characters with layered personalities, rather than the cardboard acting we saw in every other film. It would make it all the more gut-wrenching to watch someone you like die horribly. Plus, it actually makes it seem like there's a plot to it; actually taking time to focus on character development instead of just two-dimensional ones.

And The Evil Dead movies were great, but I enjoyed the remake, too. Better than most horror movie remakes, at least.

You hit it spot on. If I can empathize with the protagonists it's almost like my pals are being killed off and I get a reaction when the slasher does them in.

I'm also not a big Jeepers fan. I'll still probably check out the third one if they ever get around to making it. I guess I'm a masochist. 

Mr_Trapper

Mr_Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

It is a mixed bag. Sure it's cool to watch Jason break a teen in half, but for things like chases not caring about the protagonist makes it boring. 

For example, when I watch the idiots of horror movies doing asinine stuff, I check out on the emotional level. "Fuck you, you deserve your fate."  Then I just sit back and don't care as they are being torn asunder. Apathy or outright dislike of the heroes doesn't help horror movies in my opinion. 

You hit it spot on. If I can empathize with the protagonists it's almost like my pals are being killed off and I get a reaction when the slasher does them in.

I'm also not a big Jeepers fan. I'll still probably check out the third one if they ever get around to making it. I guess I'm a masochist. 

Don't get me wrong, when I watch them these days I know they totally blow, but at the age I watched number 2: I was terrified about being in the car at night, constantly looking out the window.

As for the Evil Dead, I just loved the way they completely went against how the woman has to be the one who survives like so many films these days, it focused on Ash.

Risinggrave

Risinggrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Don't get me wrong, when I watch them these days I know they totally blow, but at the age I watched number 2: I was terrified about being in the car at night, constantly looking out the window.

As for the Evil Dead, I just loved the way they completely went against how the woman has to be the one who survives like so many films these days, it focused on Ash.

Fun fact. Jeepers Creepers is based on a true story

Davidt

Davidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Fun fact. Jeepers Creepers is based on a true story

Wow didnt know it was based on a real life killer

PSN - david_tortorici
Steam - charlesleeray2
Posted Image

BlackWidowofLaPorte

BlackWidowofLaPorte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Jeepers Creepers was also directed by a convicted pedophile and I refuse to support his films. But that's off-topic, let's try to stay on topic here.

Survival

Survival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Jeepers Creepers was also directed by a convicted pedophile and I refuse to support his films. But that's off-topic, let's try to stay on topic here.

So why bother even posting about it?

Horror has many faces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users