SCREWNUT

Favourite Horror Author?

28 posts in this topic

Just wondering who your favourite(s) horror authors are?

Mine are as follows...

Tanya Huff, a fellow Canadian and she lives on a farm with her partner near where I live.  She wrote a book series called "Blood Books".  Consisting of 5 books, Blood Price, Blood Trail, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, and Blood Debt.  The story follows a former police officer Vicki Nelson (who turned down a desk job after failing a vision test.  I beleive she can't see in the dark.  It's some type of eye disease. ) now a private investigator for hire who ends up taking on a case that brings here into the world of the supernatural.  She meets up with the bastard son of King Henry the Eight who happens to be a Vampire and goes by the name Henry Fritroy.  They team up in the first book to stop a demon that has been summoned by a human to bring revenge against those who have wronged him in his life.  It's better then it sounds, trust me.  The books deal with Demons, Werewolves, Zombies and even a 3,000 year old mummy.  What's even more cool is that the stories take place in Toronto.  Then later in London, Ontario and Vancouver, Ontario.  London and Toronto areas are neat to read about because I've been to the same places that she's written about and that brings a connection to the book that I've never had with other books.  She also introduces a gay character that helps her and Henry.  These books came out in the 1990's when gay characters simple didn't exist in major storylines.  All in all the series was amazing but sadly she stopped and has since returned back to Science Fiction and Fantasy storylines, stating that her time with Henry, Vicki and Tony were over and that there simply wasn't any story left to tell.  

Also sadly was the lifetime channel which tried to turn the books into a TV series based off the books, but they failed badly.  

$_35.JPG

I know alot of people are going to bring up Stephen King as one of their favourites.  Sadly, I personally don't like the way he writes his stories.  I've tried to read his books when I was in high school but they always put me to sleep or I grew bored and moved on to other books instead.  However, to redeem myself to those of you who are King fans, I do enjoy his novel "Cycle of the werewolf".  It's amazing how he uses the moon and the cliches of the werewolf myth to bring new life to this supernatural creature.  I can't recommend it highly enough! 

220px-1985cyclewerewolf.gif

Cycle of the Werewolf was a great read . King has some amazing books , I just wish some of the movies / TV minis did them a little more justice . Though The Shinning and Misery were very spot on for the feel of the books . I know there are quite a few differences between them still ,

such as in the book Misery she " hobbled " him with an ax , chopping his feet off , but the sledge hammer had a very similar feel to it . Oh , the sound of the other people in the movie theater when she put the block between his ankles . Priceless .

IT and The Stand were also great stories and I enjoyed each of there mini series , but they were more like a nudge in the direction , where the books grabbed your collar and forced you to read more . I missed a lot of sleep in one of his books . I am a big fan of the Dark Tower / Gunslinger Series as well . Several of my friends and I have been hoping for that movie for a long long time .

I guess I shouldn't complain though , I am pretty spoiled with Game of Thrones , now that is a series of addictive novels . Plus , the HBO series is amazing , with direct lines of dialogue , the timeline and events of the first book verse season one had ... maybe 2 things wrong , but they were so meaningless compared to the incredible job they are doing .

I am the king of getting side tracked as you all know by now . I would say Thomas Harris is my favorite Horror writer . The 4 book Hannibal series is right there in my favorites . Clive Barker is another note worthy author for me . I remember reading his books of blood a few years prior to watching Hellraiser . That was long ago though sometime around 1985 .

Lately for horror I have been reading Sean Schubert's books . He is local Alaskan author with an Alaskan Zombie series , though I finished book 3 a month or so back and haven't pulled the 4th from the shelf yet . The reason I like it is the " outbreak " happens right here in my home city of Anchorage , so I am biased and happy to have local landmarks , buildings , and such incorporated into the story . Most readers really enjoy them , but I think it is more local hype . It's not a bad story by any means , but with the zombie genre it is very hard to have a bunch of original occurrences and ideas . So honestly , it is a pretty average read .

hJ3qz9u.jpg   

One of my all time favorite books was written by King. It was one of his first books, and written under the name Richard Bachman. The name of the book is The Long Walk. It's not so much a typical King horror novel, but an amazing read. I'd highly recommend it!

bewareofbears and 10ofSwords like this

I'm a pretty big Clive Barker fan. His horror is... interesting. I like that he tends to write horror from a non-typical perspective. Like, say "The Hellbound Heart," (Hellraiser) I've always felt was a love story. A really messy one, but there just so happened to also included demons who tore people apart for being too curious. Plus, the amount of short stories he puts out, makes it easy to have multiple favorite stories from his published works.

One of my all time favorite books was written by King. It was one of his first books, and written under the name Richard Bachman. The name of the book is The Long Walk. It's not so much a typical King horror novel, but an amazing read. I'd highly recommend it!

The Long Walk is amazing and also from the Bachman Books The Running Man . I was so hyped when they said they were going to make it into a movie and then they announced Arnold as the Lead and I was stoked , I thought to myself now this movie is going to be sweet ! .... Then I saw it at the theaters .... and it ... the book ... the movie .. FacePalm .

The book was imagine a game show that you could go on if you needed money , the stakes are your life . You will be running from a pack of ex - seal team and special forces black ops members . They are going to hunt you across America and kill you when they catch up , if the average person see you , calls in your location and it leads your death they get $250, 000 . Well , that is what Ben Richards does . Unlike the movie he is not framed from murder , he is not a soldier and not a huge tough Arnold kind of guy .

Ben Richards is almost broken and desperate man that loves his family . He needs money to save his wife and child from illness and this is the only way that he can make the huge amount of money needed for them to live. Unlike all the Neon lights and the Special " boss " type battles of the movie , it is a bleak and gloomy story about a man who loves his family enough to go up against highly train , top shelf , in there prime Mercs . His only real chance to survive long enough to earn the money his family need is to run for his life .  I loved that story .

I thought about putting a Spoiler tag on it , but honestly , you will get more then this off the back cover of the book . 

Super Ty likes this

James Wrath White.

also THE LONG WALK is amazing and needs a faithful movie desperately. or HBO miniseries.

other than that i dont like Stephen King stuff that much. mostly because most of his stuff starts out pretty mysterious but in the end its some kind of monster.

The Long Walk is amazing and also from the Bachman Books The Running Man . I was so hyped when they said they were going to make it into a movie and then they announced Arnold as the Lead and I was stoked , I thought to myself now this movie is going to be sweet ! .... Then I saw it at the theaters .... and it ... the book ... the movie .. FacePalm .

Come on now, be nice!  The Running Man movie (well not as good as the book) is an awesome beer, pizza and friends night of a movie.  It's Arnold just having fun and doing what he does best.  Beating the crap out of the villians, smoking a cigar and spittiing out one-liners like it's a fire sale!   :D  I love it!  HA HA HA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRHLF6r33M

also THE LONG WALK is amazing and needs a faithful movie desperately. or HBO miniseries.

I couldn't agree more! I've been wanting a film adaptation ever since I first read it many, many years ago. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, Frank Darabont has the rights to the film adaptation. I'm not sure why he's just sitting on it if that is indeed true.

Come on now, be nice!  The Running Man movie (well not as good as the book) is an awesome beer, pizza and friends night of a movie.  It's Arnold just having fun and doing what he does best.  Beating the crap out of the villians, smoking a cigar and spittiing out one-liners like it's a fire sale!   :D  I love it!  HA HA HA.

Yes it was a fun movie , I guess it did sound like I am hating on the film .The Running Man was a typical 80s Arnold action movie like Raw Deal , Commando , Total Recall ect , which are entertaining action movies . Some much better then others . Truthfully after reading the book  I had almost the whole movie in my mind going into the theater . That is why I was disappointed , not because the movie was horrible , but because it had been turned into something completely different . Really , the only thing true to the book in the movie are the character names .

Which is why so many people like the Game of Thrones , it was a fantastic book and they followed it , because if you follow a fantastic story you get a fantastic movie script . Of course then everything else has to come together from acting , lighting , costumes , editing and the list keeps on going . 

Now if we look at Thomas Harris books , the movies used everything from the books , followed the story line , choose the most important scenes to film , so they didn't have to have a 6 hour movie  and it was incredible . The reason why is they followed the book . There are some things in movies that are just incredible that are not in the book . Jaws for example , Chief Brody saying , " Your going to need a bigger boat . " was an excellent edition and the way they changed Quint's ending was an iconic scene we will never forget . Which again is they added a bit , just a bit to a great story and they knew the additions were improvements on what they could film at the time .

What they didn't do was make Jaws a scientifically altered military experiment that escapes into the local sewers and gets bigger by eating the alligators in the sewers . Then the shark got big enough to break through the city streets pavement and attack pedestrians . After several attacks  " Chief Brody " who is a Chief of Animal Control has to go into the sewer with Quint and Hooper to fight the beast . 

The Running Man movie was fine , I guess maybe if it used a different name and didn't say " Based on the King novel " I would have no complaints . Really using the novel was just hype to get more movie viewers and they really didn't need to say it had anything to do with the book . Arnold was going to pull in movie viewers anyway . I feel like it was a lie , not because I didn't want the film they made , but because it had nothing to do with the book . Not even one scene and that happens all the time , enough that I should be use to it by now .

In the Nightmare on Elm Street thread I wrote about how I wondered what the series would have been like if they forced themselves to keep to making a scary horror movie instead of a funny horror movie . I love the NoES movie series , some better than others , but I wonder what could have been . Like Freddy vs Jason , what could Freddy vs Jason have been if the movie decided to give the Friday series more of what it deserved . What if the director would have watched all the previous movies in both series . What if the script was written taking both Friday's and Nightmare's lore into account . There are always ifs , I know , but I still think about them .

agree that on its own the running man movie is a fun thing, even though it only really banks on Arnie playing another bad ass character during his careers prime.

compare to the source material its a total disgrace though.

10ofSwords likes this

I'm a big Barker fan, love the imagery he employs in his writing, His Books of Blood stories are favourites of mine. Stephen King's Skeleton Crew book is a true classic, and I admit as a kid I was really into Anne Rice's vampire novels. But in terms of horror, I find Bret Easton Ellis's books about dystopian lifestyles and the seedy underbelly of the upper class pretty chilling. Not traditional horror in the movie monster sense but I guess it's all subjective.

H.P. Lovecraft easily, though Edgar Allan Poe is a close second. Stereotypical, I know, but I just love the mythos of Lovecraft and all the cool creatures he made. I've even run Call of Cthulhu tabletop games several times. Plus, Lovecraft has an influence on several horror franchises, whether its the Necronomicon showing up in Evil Dead and Jason Goes to Hell, or the atmosphere and ancient aliens plot points behind Alien.

Though, I think special mention should go to Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, writer and illustrator respectively of the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series. Those books were rad as a kid.

SCREWNUT, 10ofSwords and CrazyRalph like this

What about non-fiction authors? Any books on horror that are more educational/theory stuff? I've been reading "The Horror Reader" over the past few months. It's not a light read by any means. A lot of theory and social context weaved into almost scholar approach to horror cinema. I like it, but can only digest a chapter at a time. I don't know if I would recommend it or not, as i'm not finished. I really enjoyed the chapters on TCM and slashers, and when they touch on how women are portrayed in horror films. Some of it I have to roll my eyes at, while other points made by the author have changed how I view certain aspects of horror film. 

http://amzn.to/1ZfQDdk

-W

non-fiction i rather read stuff about serial killers. Dahmer, Gacy, Rader, Dennis Nilsen, Fred and Rose West, Bundy, Shawcross, Kemper, Boston Strangler, Yorkshire Ripper, etc etc etc.

10ofSwords likes this

H.P. Lovecraft easily, though Edgar Allan Poe is a close second. Stereotypical, I know, but I just love the mythos of Lovecraft and all the cool creatures he made. I've even run Call of Cthulhu tabletop games several times. 

Me too!  Wow.  Small world.  Ha ha ha.  I love H.P. Lovecraft.  The man has a way with words and the way he spun the cthulhu mythos together and formed a whole universe is pretty amazing for a guy from his time.  AIso, cool how other authors have added to the mythos.

Tabletop games for the win!  I've too have run 6th edition and D20 Call of Cthulhu rpg.  Great series.

I know i might get laughed out of the forums but when i was younger i loved the S.D. Perry Resident Evil and Alien vs Predator novels.

i support this even though i havent read those. at least you are going against the usual cliché answers like King, Lovecraft and Barker...

I know i might get laughed out of the forums but when i was younger i loved the S.D. Perry Resident Evil and Alien vs Predator novels.

Those resident evil novels were pretty good.  They're rare to find now.  :(

Those resident evil novels were pretty good.  They're rare to find now.   :(

Yea i think they are pretty long out of print but you can occasionally find a book from the series at book stores. plus i know that they now have e-book versions of them for the kindle.

SCREWNUT likes this

Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King and H.P.Lovecraft. Can't decide but leaning towards Lovecraft for his imagination.

Though I can't remember much of their works, just tiny bits.

It's funny 'The Long Walk' was mentioned, I never meet people who know it. It's a personal favourite of mine along with 'Rage' from the Bachman books.

I'd have to say Stephen King for myself as well though Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein' is probably my favourite horror novel.

I've read a lot of classic horror but not much from the last 100 years. 'Carrie' is probably my favourite of the newer ones I've read.

Oddly enough, I don't really read much horror outside of my Pathfinder RPG Bestiaries. Sure, I've checked out "Hate, Kill, Repeat" starring our favorite F13 villain, and a few other horror titles over the years, but most often the horror is balanced by heroes who are too competent to have me scared for them. Things like Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series.  

Gord Rollo's "The Jigsaw Man" was a good read. It's a pretty twisted Frankenstein sort of book. 

Dennis Lehane's "Darkness, Take my Hand" is my favorite serial killer based novel. Hell it is my favorite novel.