42 posts in this topic

Before reading any further, please note that *I don't want a refund*.

This post is to help clarify things for those (specifically on social media) who have asked for a refund.

From what I've seen, the general reply is that the game developers refuse to refund your money and your payment is considered a "donation" to development.

Kickstarter and Backerkit both allow for projects to refund your money. Your request is simply being refused.

There's some debate on whether your "donation" is actually a purchase if you're recieving a physical or digital item but that's a post for a different day...

Mark K likes this

All I know is if shit isnt up to par when I recieve mine, there will always be someone who will want it at a discounted price. May not get my full refund but ill make something back lol ima sell the shit outta mine if it aint up to snuff.

bewareofbears likes this

All I know is if shit isnt up to par when I recieve mine, there will always be someone who will want it at a discounted price. May not get my full refund but ill make something back lol ima sell the shit outta mine if it aint up to snuff.

I bought digital- my biggest fear is the game won't be fun, I'll dislike it or I'll have spent all this time waiting for a disappointment with nothing to resell. I don't think I'd ever support a crowd-funded project again. I honestly think I'll enjoy the single player and bots more though, I'm looking forward to that stuff specifically because it's what took this game from disposable to something that you can still play years down the road.

*Edited for clarity.

Second edit:

No. I'm not saying the game isn't fun, that I dislike or think I'll be disappointed. I was expressing a fear in a reply, somewhat off-topic from the thread.

I bought digital- my biggest fear is the game just isn't fun, I dislike it and I spent all this time waiting for a disappointment with nothing to resell. I don't think I'd ever support a crowd-funded project again. I honestly think I'll enjoy the single player and bots more though, I'm looking forward to that stuff specifically because it's what took this game from disposable to something that you can still play years down the road.

Damn shame to hear you didnt enjoy yourself, I couldnt get enough of the beta myself. Surprised you still lurk around on the forums then if thats the case. o.o

DialM likes this

Damn shame to hear you didnt enjoy yourself, I couldnt get enough of the beta myself. Surprised you still lurk around on the forums then if thats the case. o.o

Me too. I was disappointed that it was so short. :)

Same with me although it was only one map i found it hard to stop when i got games going during beta "just one more round" i kept telling myself many nights lol

Same with me although it was only one map i found it hard to stop when i got games going during beta "just one more round" i kept telling myself many nights lol

I edited my post for clarity- it came out sounding like I didn't enjoy the game originally when I was talking in future possibility.

My experience with the beta was limited due to a laptop that could barely run it and the various glitches and bugs. I do think it will be a fun, it's just a fear thing. I've been hyped on stuff that I love but then the game isn't what I was hoping it would be.

I'm looking forward to diving into the game whenever it's released.

I do think it will be a fun, it's just a fear thing. I've been hyped on stuff that I love but then the game isn't what I was hoping it would be.

Isn't that on you? I've been burned by a few pre order games earlier in life, so I just stopped pre ordering any and all video games until Friday the 13th, but my pre order here is more showing my support to the idea of a Friday the 13th game. When I donated to the Kick Starter, I had no idea whether the game would be good or not, but I want developers to know that there is an audience for these IPs.

I've seen some of the refund talk, and I find it shocking. The development team has been very open to us thus far. Nothing is wrong with the game. It'll come out eventually, and until then, I have plenty of other video games, movies, books, and life to keep me busy until release.

Isn't that on you? I've been burned by a few pre order games earlier in life, so I just stopped pre ordering any and all video games until Friday the 13th, but my pre order here is more showing my support to the idea of a Friday the 13th game. When I donated to the Kick Starter, I had no idea whether the game would be good or not, but I want developers to know that there is an audience for these IPs.

I've seen some of the refund talk, and I find it shocking. The development team has been very open to us thus far. Nothing is wrong with the game. It'll come out eventually, and until then, I have plenty of other video games, movies, books, and life to keep me busy until release.

Absolutely on me, please note I don't want a refund and wouldn't expect a refund for disliking a game. My statement was a reply and somewhat off-topic.

I'd say since we started this project, there's been an overall actual demand of around 30 or so refund requests. Of them, most stated that 'due to unforeseen issues,' and the like meant they wanted their money back a year or more after their initial donation. 

We've had less than 10 actual people demand a refund due to their perception that they don't believe we're coming out. Let me be very clear on this; the Kickstarter is a crowd-funding platform where people give money to a team asking for it. We promise goods/services in exchange for funds not as compensation, but as a means to fund and create a project. People believed in our project enough to support at $823K+ on the initial Kickstarter, and have supported us to $1.2M in funds on Backerkit. 

We promised a game delivered to you that will let you play as Jason Voorhees our counselors. We were able to fund an additional promise that gets you access to playing as Jason in a single player experience and offline AI bots. For that, we delayed slightly and will roll content out to you as quickly as possible. Those that supported us paid no additional funds, and everyone after was asked to give at minimum $40USD over the original $30USD to get access to the game. 

A donation was given, a promise was made and thus far we are well on our way to fulfilling that promise. The team spends every single day working on it. We're hard at work juggling more than our team should be given our size. We're working on a major franchise with a game that's been demanded by fans for over 26+ years. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get access because we are thiiiiiiis close to release. We understand that. 

However, as I've said and will continue to say; we're going to get you a working, fun, awesome game that makes people happy every single time they turn their console on to play. The thing is, we want to be sure before we make any concrete promises. I honestly don't understand the desire from people saying 'release it now and just fix it after.' Why would anyone want us to rush a broken product? Sure, no game is 100% bug free....but why not work to ensure everything works as best as possible before release and be sure about the exact release date? 

We're working hard to deliver on our promises, and the support we've received from all of you has been great. The criticism keeps us grounded and keeps us accountable while the support makes sure we're motivated each day. We're almost there, guys :)

I am glad that was so clear and concise Ben. This project has been an amazing endeavor that we fans have been wanting for over 35 years and didn't even know it. I for one am expecting the love and quality expected from fellow fans of the franchise and nothing less. I have complete faith in this project and the beta no matter how short it was, felt like a breath of... Addicting fresh air teasing what is to come and I keep jumping to defend it lol. Here is to hoping for some phenomenal news soon. Cause even us most stalwart of believers needs our fix!

Juez likes this

I'd say since we started this project, there's been an overall actual demand of around 30 or so refund requests. Of them, most stated that 'due to unforeseen issues,' and the like meant they wanted their money back a year or more after their initial donation.

We've had less than 10 actual people demand a refund due to their perception that they don't believe we're coming out. Let me be very clear on this; the Kickstarter is a crowd-funding platform where people give money to a team asking for it. We promise goods/services in exchange for funds not as compensation, but as a means to fund and create a project. People believed in our project enough to support at $823K+ on the initial Kickstarter, and have supported us to $1.2M in funds on Backerkit.

We promised a game delivered to you that will let you play as Jason Voorhees our counselors. We were able to fund an additional promise that gets you access to playing as Jason in a single player experience and offline AI bots. For that, we delayed slightly and will roll content out to you as quickly as possible. Those that supported us paid no additional funds, and everyone after was asked to give at minimum $40USD over the original $30USD to get access to the game.

A donation was given, a promise was made and thus far we are well on our way to fulfilling that promise. The team spends every single day working on it. We're hard at work juggling more than our team should be given our size. We're working on a major franchise with a game that's been demanded by fans for over 26+ years. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get access because we are thiiiiiiis close to release. We understand that.

However, as I've said and will continue to say; we're going to get you a working, fun, awesome game that makes people happy every single time they turn their console on to play. The thing is, we want to be sure before we make any concrete promises. I honestly don't understand the desire from people saying 'release it now and just fix it after.' Why would anyone want us to rush a broken product? Sure, no game is 100% bug free....but why not work to ensure everything works as best as possible before release and be sure about the exact release date?

We're working hard to deliver on our promises, and the support we've received from all of you has been great. The criticism keeps us grounded and keeps us accountable while the support makes sure we're motivated each day. We're almost there, guys :).

Best way i have seen yet to say quit bitching love it

ShaneMalicious and Smartz1 like this

@ bewareofbears - Were you not the guy that started a community on PSN for this game ?  I pledged to get a physical copy of the game because I just don't like digital downloading games for the same reason although I did for Left 4 Dead 1&2 on Steam. I like physical copies of games if I so choose to sell but for me I am such a huge fan of this series and so appreciative to be a part of the original kickstarter and to be added to the credits of a game that will be huge around the globe..I'm truly honored to be a part of this and if I had more money to give I would but this will be a game I know I will enjoy for years to come and won't be selling it.  This was my first kickstarter and I was all in early.  Oh and thanks Ben for the numbers on who has requested refunds as tht is super low and that just shows how many of us are appreciative of Gun and Illfonic and all who are working to make this game great.  Thank You All !

@ bewareofbears - Were you not the guy that started a community on PSN for this game ?  I pledged to get a physical copy of the game because I just don't like digital downloading games for the same reason although I did for Left 4 Dead 1&2 on Steam. I like physical copies of games if I so choose to sell but for me I am such a huge fan of this series and so appreciative to be a part of the original kickstarter and to be added to the credits of a game that will be huge around the globe..I'm truly honored to be a part of this and if I had more money to give I would but this will be a game I know I will enjoy for years to come and won't be selling it.  This was my first kickstarter and I was all in early.  Oh and thanks Ben for the numbers on who has requested refunds as tht is super low and that just shows how many of us are appreciative of Gun and Illfonic and all who are working to make this game great.  Thank You All !

Dude... please re-read my posts in this thread. Yes, I created a PSN community. I fully intend to play the living shit out of this game. I was expressing a fear (fears can be irrational). To further explain- I'm not a huge fan of online gaming. It may not be fun for me. That was part of the idea of creating the community, to bring like-minded players and true fans of the films together to play the game so that the overall experience of online gaming will be more satisfying.

On a slightly related note, I've stopped buying physical copies of most things. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I have, I don't actually own it. If that makes any sense. The negative of that is having nothing to sell or take back if you dislike something or are done with it. I sold my entire DVD collection years ago and made a pretty penny at the time.

If game stores can have a no return policy because of an unsatisfying game experience (not to be confused with a game not working properly), how much more for an indie game funded on Kickstarter?

I feel if someone gives you money for something and your said you would have it to them this date or time. If you change the date or product from what they thought they where getting i feel that is perfect grounds for a refund. im not asking for a refund right now. But if someone wants there money back for a product they havent received that shouldnt be a problem.

I feel if someone gives you money for something and your said you would have it to them this date or time. If you change the date or product from what they thought they where getting i feel that is perfect grounds for a refund. im not asking for a refund right now. But if someone wants there money back for a product they havent received that shouldnt be a problem.

The issue is that you are not purchasing an item on kickstater. Kickstarter has that listed on their site as well. You are pledging money to help create a product. Often times discounts and special perks are given to early adopters of the project as a thank you for believing in them. whether you want to pledge to a kickstater or not is up to you, it is up to the backer to do their own due diligence and decide if backing the project is something they would like to do.

As far a pre-orders on backerkit that is a different ball of wax.

I can understand that people don't like waiting, I mean who likes to wait? But unfortunately all good things take time.

I dont care about the wait its better then say ubisoft games that rush them out the door to make money but they do nothing but glitch out like assassin's creed black flag or watch dogs or even ea games

Darrin Howard likes this

Final fantasy 15 was in development for like 10 years and I never cancelled my preorder with many delays since I ordered so I don't know y people want refunds for this just cause it's pushed back from late 2016 to early 2017

Darrin Howard and Fatalfox like this

Final fantasy 15 was in development for like 10 years and I never cancelled my preorder with many delays since I ordered so I don't know y people want refunds for this just cause it's pushed back from late 2016 to early 2017

Truth

Fatalfox likes this

The issue is that you are not purchasing an item on kickstater. Kickstarter has that listed on their site as well. You are pledging money to help create a product. Often times discounts and special perks are given to early adopters of the project as a thank you for believing in them. whether you want to pledge to a kickstater or not is up to you, it is up to the backer to do their own due diligence and decide if backing the project is something they would like to do.

As far a pre-orders on backerkit that is a different ball of wax.

I can understand that people don't like waiting, I mean who likes to wait? But unfortunately all good things take time.

The Backerkit thing is interesting considering it's advertised as pre-order and you are literally buying things, not being rewarding. The larger bulk of the $2 million comes from Backerkit. I'd probably honour a Backerkit refund to avoid any issues but maybe they know something I don't.

JasonVoorhees13 likes this

I suggest you do some research on the game Star Citizen. Poor guys are two years past their playable product deadline, all refunds have been closed and money is still being taken with continual promises of more to be added. The thing is that one of the biggest selling points to that game was multiple players in a ship and Elite:Dangerous has that coming in the next expansion. Not to mention Elite is already well developed with billions of star systems to explore and tons of other stuff including exploring planets. You have zero to worry about with this game I assure you. Everything has been on the up and up, it's a quality product, the teams heart is into the game and everyone one of my friends that played the beta absolutely loved it. From that you can deduce the game will be a success particularly from word of mouth after release.