74 replies to this topic

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I'm saying if you want to shoot someone in the face with a shotgun or beat them to death with a baseball bat, there's currently no penalties for doing so.  There's no incentive to help a stranger, so there's no reason anyone would.  I'm not saying you should get like a 5x xp multiplier, but SOMETHING, even if it's just a 1% xp gain per surviving player.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm saying if you want to shoot someone in the face with a shotgun or beat them to death with a baseball bat, there's currently no penalties for doing so. There's no incentive to help a stranger, so there's no reason anyone would. I'm not saying you should get like a 5x xp multiplier, but SOMETHING, even if it's just a 1% xp gain per surviving player.

Well they already put prevention in place for guns and such as far as I know.

But again, why do we need an incentive to help a stranger? I don't WANT an incentive. I want to do whatever the fuck I feel like doing.
  • BlackWidowofLaPorte and bewareofbears like this

I swear I'm not half as angry as I seem to be.

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

bewareofbears

bewareofbears

;)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

But again, why do we need an incentive to help a stranger? I don't WANT an incentive. I want to do whatever the fuck I feel like doing.

I agree- fuck strangers. :) I'll help if it benefits me, otherwise no.

I don't mind the idea of an XP award for driving a car to the escape with other people in it though. I've been playing Battlefront lately and you get rewards for 'this many kills with this' or for 'healing this many team members'. The XP award isn't enough for me to set out to do those things specifically though.
f13sig_BEWARE.png

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

No one is forcing you to do it, you don't have to do it, regardless of incentives, but without even a mild incentive to do it, literally no one will ever help anyone.  Ever.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

No one is forcing you to do it, you don't have to do it, regardless of incentives, but without even a mild incentive to do it, literally no one will ever help anyone. Ever.

But that's simply untrue.

You see this contradicted in most games. Again, mention For Honor. There's no incentive to be honorable and let a duel play out but many people do it. It's a sort of unspoken, but people usually abide by it even though there's zero reason to. So the idea that you need an incentive or a particular thing won't happen ever is just... well, false.

Most people usually let others get into the car with them. That's whats observed in the Beta. I understand why you may think that way but there's no proof that this is the case, there is proof of the opposite.

Have you played the Beta?
  • DialM likes this

Please give me one star to help cure the new form of cancer called ResolutionBlaze

Check out Unlucky 7, rebooted after three long years of silence!  http://store.steampo...com/app/579120/

The Preppy Guy

The Preppy Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationOregon

I feel like you two have been arguing for far long so let me say something. Shodan, you've been saying noone will help strangers, and i understand why you might think everyone is a selfish asshole, but the truth is, you're wrong, take a look at any, and i mean ANY multiplayer game, in Overwatch i'll have someone who insta-locks Mercy or Lucio almost EVERY GAME. In Battlefield 1 i see 1 or 2 medics in every 6 person squad. And these are just 2 examples out of the many, many multiplayer games out there, seriously, play ANY multiplayer game where theres a healer/support character or class and tell me how many people play them. Except TF2, cause alot of tf2 games i only see 1 or 2 medics. But outside of tf2 pretty much every game people play the healer/support. Hopefully now we can stop arguing and do something more productive.

PSN: RedPanda2202
Email: RedPanda2202@gmail.com

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I played the beta, and at the time, most people were so confused about how to play that they mostly just ran around getting killed.  Once the game's been out for a while, people will only focus on what earns them xp.  If helping other players live doesn't do that, they will be completely unconcerned with it.  That's not just human nature, it's intrinsically encouraged by not rewarding teamwork.  I've played enough competitive multiplayer games to know that anyone will use any advantage to maximize their own experience at the expense of everyone around them.  Even in Dead by Daylight, where you are massively encouraged to help other players, even if it means you die in the process, almost no one ever bothers to help you unless it happens to be convenient.  There's no reason to think that in this game, the majority of people will all try to play for a team win rather than a solo win.

In regards to Overwatch etc. having support classes: those games are an entirely different style of game.  You literally can't succeed solo in those games.  Just because you CAN succeed by yourself in F13 doesn't mean they should completely discourage all teamwork.

Further, if they don't want anyone to work together, why is the radio such an important item?  Teamwork is literally the point of an asymmetric game, because if it were 1 on 1, Jason wins every time.  If you watched the old streams of the devs playing, they were all in constant communication and working together heavily to allow everyone to escape.  That's how it's intended to be played.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I played the beta, and at the time, most people were so confused about how to play that they mostly just ran around getting killed. Once the game's been out for a while, people will only focus on what earns them xp. If helping other players live doesn't do that, they will be completely unconcerned with it. That's not just human nature, it's intrinsically encouraged by not rewarding teamwork. I've played enough competitive multiplayer games to know that anyone will use any advantage to maximize their own experience at the expense of everyone around them. Even in Dead by Daylight, where you are massively encouraged to help other players, even if it means you die in the process, almost no one ever bothers to help you unless it happens to be convenient. There's no reason to think that in this game, the majority of people will all try to play for a team win rather than a solo win.

In regards to Overwatch etc. having support classes: those games are an entirely different style of game. You literally can't succeed solo in those games. Just because you CAN succeed by yourself in F13 doesn't mean they should completely discourage all teamwork.

Further, if they don't want anyone to work together, why is the radio such an important item? Teamwork is literally the point of an asymmetric game, because if it were 1 on 1, Jason wins every time. If you watched the old streams of the devs playing, they were all in constant communication and working together heavily to allow everyone to escape. That's how it's intended to be played.

"Intended to be played"

Lol

We've already been through this. And the Devs have explained this. They DO NOT WANT THIS GAME TO BE COMPETITIVE.
  • DialM likes this

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

"Intended to be played"

Lol

We've already been through this. And the Devs have explained this. They DO NOT WANT THIS GAME TO BE COMPETITIVE.

... they want it to be co-operative.  I never said this game was meant to be competitive.  It's not co-operative if all 7 players are trying to be lone wolves and steal the car for their own escape.

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

... they want it to be co-operative. I never said this game was meant to be competitive. It's not co-operative if all 7 players are trying to be lone wolves and steal the car for their own escape.

Please quote and show some evidence for this.

EpSy

EpSy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yeah ok i agree it shouldn't be awarded, it only means that YOU survive, and teamwork can increase the chances, maybe of course, but i don't like this stuff in Dead by Daylight, i want that failure is fun, and i had this in beta a lot, when someone fail and get killed and you trying not to get high fear and stay hidden but he still spot you and you run like a maniac :D. Ok no reward :)

makred78

makred78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That's how it's intended to be played.

It's only one of the intended ways to play from what the devs said. Take a look a this from the steam store page:

How Will You Survive?

The entire focus of Friday the 13th: The Game is multiplayer. Survival is entirely up to you, the player, as you either stealthily hide from Jason or work together as a team to escape or bring the fight to Jason. Playing as a counselor is all about risk and reward, giving players multiple means of triumph over Jason! Want to hide in the woods as you wait for the police? Perhaps you want to band together and try to take on Jason as a group? Maybe you and a friend decide to fix the boat on the lake and escape while leaving everyone else to their fate? There are endless opportunities to survive the night, but every choice has a consequence.

Also, here's a post Ben made on the steam forum:

"Jason is OP, that's for sure.

However; it is you vs. Jason, not you and your team vs. Jason. Your goal is to survive; accomplish that any way you can :)."

• bewareofbears likes this

Davidt

Davidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Still going on about needing incentive for players to work together we dont need that. Not every single player is gonna try and escape on their own thats just implying everyone in the world is an asshole and will just do what they can to win, friends or not some will want to team up to escape or kill jason.

• bewareofbears likes this
PSN - david_tortorici
Steam - charlesleeray2
Posted Image

GrandMasterLynx

GrandMasterLynx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

And if this were real life, and the people being murdered were family members, best friends, girlfriends/boyfriends of yours? You'd just run off and let them get butchered? If so, you're an awful person.

I know for a fact anybody in my family would want me to escape and survive

So if anybody that I loved and cared about I would want them to run and escape save themselves so I guess that makes me a asshole oh well. If I had a Gun and could use it like DeadShot I would kill the killer but if I don't have a weapon or the skills why would I stay just to get killed

Plox

Plox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

What's the incentive to be motivated by slight experience boosts? Reaching higher levels so you can unlock new Jasons and stuff. But I am going to be playing this game so much that I don't think it's going to be an issue. What happens when you have unlocked everything? No need to get there fast. I think most people would have a similar attitude.

Even so, you want the biggest experience boost to come when you actually survive. If you get a couple EXP here and there for helping people, but you are simultaneously taking a risk of being caught by Jason, even if it is minor, you could still be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage when it comes to farming experience because it could cause you to lose out on the massive experience you earn from actually escaping. Just as it should be.

Human beings operate beyond their own selfish interests. We are not totally selfish creatures. The beta showed that this game was highly social. Human beings tend toward cooperative behavior on their own naturally. That's what makes us such an incredibly social species.

Those split seconds where we wait for other people to get in a car or stop to let someone in aren't going to evaporate just because it's the full version of the game.

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I know for a fact anybody in my family would want me to escape and survive

So if anybody that I loved and cared about I would want them to run and escape save themselves so I guess that makes me a asshole oh well. If I had a Gun and could use it like DeadShot I would kill the killer but if I don't have a weapon or the skills why would I stay just to get killed

So if your family were waiting in a nearby cabin, safe from Jason, and you drove past flipping them off, they'd be glad you escaped without them?

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So if your family were waiting in a nearby cabin, safe from Jason, and you drove past flipping them off, they'd be glad you escaped without them?

Fact is nobody in this game are family members

Nobody cares about each other because none of us playing would roleplay as such.

An incentive is not necessary.

Let people do as they will.

SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Fact is nobody in this game are family members

Nobody cares about each other because none of us playing would roleplay as such.

An incentive is not necessary.

Let people do as they will.

So if your team does a phenomenal job working together and Jason gets 0/7, there should be no extra bonus for a perfect win?

ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So if your team does a phenomenal job working together and Jason gets 0/7, there should be no extra bonus for a perfect win?

No.

Because who cares? You survived.

This isn't DbD get that competitive coop crap out of my Asymmetrical Slasher Game.

I want Friday The 13th to be fun not cooperative or competitive and start raging at my team because the last guy didn't make it and we didn't get that damn bonus points.
  • DialM likes this

EpSy

EpSy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yeah true, I don't want it to be cooperative or competitive either, I don't want to rage, i want that failure is fun :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users