wes

Beta Feedback - Calling the Police

74 posts in this topic

Ha! Yeah, when we first put assets in they are always huge like that. For testing, it's easier to see them. We'll scale it down to be a "normal" fuse size. ;)

If it's going to be a "normal" fuse size, wouldn't that be tiny? Maybe it should "glint" so it's easier to see.

GOOD!

The phone was way to potent as an escape option as it was. Hell I still think  the camp power should have to be on to make the call.

But this will do nicely.

Why do they tease us so?

Phones(wired phones not cordless) are made to run entirely on the power from the phone line itself, so there's no need to have the power on.

when it comes to the cops. I know at the end of most movies they show up to clean up the mess after Jason took most counselors out. But in the last reboot,he did kill a cop....Can it be made that a cop will try to walk onto the property and survey the first 20ft before the counselor can escape and Jason has one more chance to stop it from happening if he manages to kill the cop and get the counselor before she crosses? not make it such an automatic finish line win?

I know maybe it might sound like giving Jason way too much more OP than he already is,but just saying it wouldn't be just as easy as crossing the finishing line with a bunch of Vanessa Jones jogging their way to victory.

We learned a lot from watching you guys play the Beta. One thing we noticed...you guys were good at getting the phone fixed quickly. Also, Jason caught on to this and would "camp" the phone area heavily. This wasn't fun. So we made a change. Now the phone requires a fuse to fix it. The fuse spawns within the same campground as the broken phone. Therefore, you don't have to run around the whole map looking for the fuse, but it's not like it's right next to the broken phone box. Once you find the fuse, you pick it up and it's now in your inventory. You can run to the phone and drop it on the ground if, perhaps, you have a low repair and someone with a higher repair is nearby. This way you can work together to get the police called. 

In our internal tests, adding this extra step (finding the fuse) slowed down how quickly someone could call the cops. In some matches, no one found the fuse, since there's only one and sometimes a person would find it, but then get killed before they could get back to the phone. Now the fuse is laying next to the dead body, thus making it even harder to escape. We hope you guys like this new feature...we really liked it. It cranked up the tension even more and made matches last longer. 

mM1tBLf.jpg

xcrUQdb.jpg

THANK GOD!  I really didn't like that the police were called SO  early into a round. Getting killed early in the round because most Jason's come to the phone first because it was literally the easiest escape. so, thank you guys for listening and making changes where needed. But, is there any way that the police can only stay for a limited amount of time? or have a longer waiting time for the cops? just asking will deal either way

But, is there any way that the police can only stay for a limited amount of time? or have a longer waiting time for the cops? just asking will deal either way

Why? The game is only 20 minutes. It takes 5 minutes after getting the phone fixed before they show. That means you are at least 25% through a game before they show up. 

As far as duration, it breaks immersion. "Yo sheriff, we been here three whole minutes and not one teenager has shown up. Whatcha say we stop doing our job saving lives and go on a donut run instead?"  Yeah, no. 

Imagine if the counselors had an extra stat for either following the rules or going against authority. Then if say the rebel made the phone call. The cop's wouldn't believe it the first time he called. Kinda like Tommy Jarvis saying Jason has come back and the police didn't believe him. Like in most movies where they refuse to believe Jason is around.

I know that is really dicey,but unique.

Imagine if the counselors had an extra stat for either following the rules or going against authority. Then if say the rebel made the phone call. The cop's wouldn't believe it the first time he called. Kinda like Tommy Jarvis saying Jason has come back and the police didn't believe him. Like in most movies where they refuse to believe Jason is around.

And again, in a 20 minute game, why? That just ensures that some characters can't exfil via the police and makes them more likely to die if they can't get a car repaired or wait out the timer.

And again, in a 20 minute game, why? That just ensures that some characters can't exfil via the police and makes them more likely to die if they can't get a car repaired or wait out the timer.

Then extend it to 30 mins...hell most slasher films it was always the last half hour that was the pure fight or flight moments. 

Then extend it to 30 mins...hell most slasher films it was always the last half hour that was the pure fight or flight moments. 

Adding ten more minutes to the game just means the dead have to sit around longer. 

SHODANFreeman likes this

Cool idea! I read something similar in another post about how the Flirty Girl's ability could be that when she'd call thr police they would show up two minutes sooner (although it seems abilities wont be making it in).

Only thing is if the rebels/less trustworthy counselors get a penalty there, they'd need a bonus elsewhere or people wouldnt play them

Jason should have the ability to break the fuse as well. If he breaks something it should stay broken. 

Then how do the counselors win?

Then how do the counselors win?

They try something else. Any Jason film where the power goes out always results in those people giving up on the phone and trying another method for survival. What is stopping the counselors from just spam trying to call the police after Jason deals with the power box and leaves? 

They try something else. Any Jason film where the power goes out always results in those people giving up on the phone and trying another method for survival. 

You need to realize that lore, and sometimes even common sense (the car batteries and gas) has to balance out with gameplay. Taking away win objectives lessens options. I'd agree that if there were a ton of fuses that it may be fair for Jason to be able to break them. With a single fuse on the map, not so much. 

What is stopping the counselors from just spam trying to call the police after Jason deals with the power box and leaves? 

Jason killing them?

Gdain likes this

There are a few options to make the police escape more difficult as well as dynamic.

1.) a given counselor cannot trigger the "repair" mini game until they first find the phone and determine that it's broken.

2.) a counselor cannot trigger the "repair" mini game until they have encountered a dead body or Jason himself.

3.) the police can potentially be killed by Jason based on one or more triggered scenarios.

The-Almighty-Zugs likes this

There are a few options to make the police escape more difficult as well as dynamic.

1.) a given counselor cannot trigger the "repair" mini game until they first find the phone and determine that it's broken.

2.) a counselor cannot trigger the "repair" mini game until they have encountered a dead body or Jason himself.

3.) the police can potentially be killed by Jason based on one or more triggered scenarios.

Hmmm.

1. Kinda a waste of time for a 20 min match. It's a good bet that Jason started sabotaging everything already.

2. Jason hacks a counselor right in front of everyone at the match start.

3. Cool idea but the police never get out of their cars. You just have to make it to the exit.

Hmmm.

1. Kinda a waste of time for a 20 min match. It's a good bet that Jason started sabotaging everything already.

2. Jason hacks a counselor right in front of everyone at the match start.

3. Cool idea but the police never get out of their cars. You just have to make it to the exit.

1.) right... the complaint it that it became the go to in beta and the players immediately went to work on the phone. It was considered "too powerful".

2.) I get that and actually thought of it while I was typing the post. It's just an example of a possible prerequisite to the repair game.

3.) true, but this is easily changeable.. note that the police "shoot" Jason if he is near the exit when they arrive. So a triggered event animation already exists.

Scenario 1.)

As police arrive, if true: Jason is within (X) units of that exit AND Jason is engaged with a player or executed a mealee attack against a player...

-trigger- secondary police mini game where success or failure determines police officers fate.

Secondary alternative.

If the officer dies, his radio can then be used to call tommy rather than the camp base station. Additionally, it can be used to call for another officer.

So if you have taken the time to fix the phone, call the cops, and actually make it to the exit, only to have the officer be killed by Jason, you can instantly use his radio to call for another officer with no wait time or repair... you just have to survive a little while longer.

And building in an animation movie cut for the scenario is simple, it doesn't have to be interactive necessarily.

And they already have a police car model in the game, we just haven't seen it in the beta gameplay videos.

You need to realize that lore, and sometimes even common sense (the car batteries and gas) has to balance out with gameplay. Taking away win objectives lessens options. I'd agree that if there were a ton of fuses that it may be fair for Jason to be able to break them. With a single fuse on the map, not so much. 

Jason killing them?

Please correct me if I say anything here that is incorrect or if I am under the wrong impressions.

That might not necessarily be enough. If there are a couple counselors that are trying to call the cops in one place, and a couple elsewhere trying to get the car started for example, Jason has to cover a lot of ground. Yes Jason can destroy the power box and yes, now the counselors have to find a fuse as well to be able to call the cops. That does add a bit of difficulty to things but it could also spawn negative results. In reality, if Jason were to destroy something, he'd damn well destroy it. Beyond repair. (I'm under the assumption that even if Jason destroys the PB, the counselors can still repair it). But lets overlook that for a second. 

Lets say he destroys the PB and he kills a counselor holding a fuse. He killed that counselor right at the PB and the fuse lays right there. Realistically, it should be a lost cause at this point. He scans the area and no one is in sight. He goes after the others. While he's going after the others, another counselor circles around goes to the PB and "would you look at that", a fuse. Something that should have been impossible to repair, is repaired. 

My thoughts would be that maybe he could also destroy the fuse as well. That way, the counselors have two chances to call the cops. Not unlimited chances. Or maybe make the police attackable. I'm probably overlooking gameplay in place of realism, but hey, I'm thinking out loud.  

1.) right... the complaint it that it became the go to in beta and the players immediately went to work on the phone. It was considered "too powerful".

2.) I get that and actually thought of it while I was typing the post. It's just an example of a possible prerequisite to the repair game.

3.) true, but this is easily changeable.. note that the police "shoot" Jason if he is near the exit when they arrive. So a triggered event animation already exists.

Scenario 1.)

As police arrive, if true: Jason is within (X) units of that exit AND Jason is engaged with a player or executed a mealee attack against a player...

-trigger- secondary police mini game where success or failure determines police officers fate.

Secondary alternative.

If the officer dies, his radio can then be used to call tommy rather than the camp base station. Additionally, it can be used to call for another officer.

So if you have taken the time to fix the phone, call the cops, and actually make it to the exit, only to have the officer be killed by Jason, you can instantly use his radio to call for another officer with no wait time or repair... you just have to survive a little while longer.

And building in an animation movie cut for the scenario is simple, it doesn't have to be interactive necessarily.

And they already have a police car model in the game, we just haven't seen it in the beta gameplay videos.

Those are great ideas. This would balance things out all while maintaining realism. 

The system as it stands now, just seems to un-dynamic. Theoretically, could these ideas be added to the game through patches etc after release? Or are we shooting dead fish here? 

The system as it stands now, just seems to un-dynamic. Theoretically, could these ideas be added to the game through patches etc after release? Or are we shooting dead fish here? 

You're likely shooting dead fish. 

I'd wager to bet the beta is the game save for a few added bells and whistles and for a few tweaks, Gun has already informed us about. 

With that said, your argument is that Jason is at too much of a disadvantage it seems. I watched more then a few hours of beta footage and there were many games nobody made it out or only a few did. Jason's ability to teleport over the map really helps him mitigate the issues of all the counselors spreading out and trying to survive. 

Oh and he powers up the longer the game goes on. Jason doesn't need the ability to fuck everybody into waiting out the timer every game. 

You're likely shooting dead fish.

I'd wager to bet the beta is the game save for a few added bells and whistles and for a few tweaks, Gun has already informed us about.

With that said, your argument is that Jason is at too much of a disadvantage it seems. I watched more then a few hours of beta footage and there were many games nobody made it out or only a few did. Jason's ability to teleport over the map really helps him mitigate the issues of all the counselors spreading out and trying to survive.

Oh and he powers up the longer the game goes on. Jason doesn't need the ability to fuck everybody into waiting out the timer every game.

I don't think any one is saying Jason needs to be overpowered...

The initial complaint and thought was that the police phone rescue was too "easy" and once players got the hang of it, gameplay became linear to the end of "fix the phone" or "kill the guy that's fixing the phone"

The beta players complained that once they got the hang of the phone rescue, they ditched the car repair and few games went the full 20.

Adding the fuse is a nice supplement, but it delineates the phone police rescue to a certain degree.

I think people are spitballing at something that is simply more dynamic that doesn't lead to linear gameplay.

I don't think any one is saying Jason needs to be overpowered...

The initial complaint and thought was that the police phone rescue was too "easy" and once players got the hang of it, gameplay became linear to the end of "fix the phone" or "kill the guy that's fixing the phone"

The beta players complained that once they got the hang of the phone rescue, they ditched the car repair and few games went the full 20.

Adding the fuse is a nice supplement, but it delineates the phone police rescue to a certain degree.

I think people are spitballing at something that is simply more dynamic that doesn't lead to linear gameplay.

Well what is being brought up here is the opposite. Rather then it being too easy to fix the phone, it's more a "can't use the phone." 

To my knowledge the win conditions for counselors are to kill Jason, to get out with the police, to use the car or boat or to wait out the timer. Killing Jason isn't going to be a go to, and while some of the other methods may have more difficulty then others, Gun has implemented means to make them viable to the gameplay for both Jason and the counselors. If Jason can break the fuse and remove a win condition, then linear gameplay is going to happen as options disappear. 

I don't think Jason should be able to break the fuse. I don't want to see any win conditions eliminated.

Side note.... I actually work for the phone company....

There's no fuse in a landline telephone... lol.

Finding balance in the "phone/police rescue" is a difficult thing for the programmers... especially provided that Jason has such a physical advantage over the counselors.

I would like to see it be more dynamic myself.

Calling the police doesn't guarantee anyone escapes, police can be killed, incentivize Jason attempting to stop counselors from reaching police exit by giving him the potential to kill the police officer. Delineate the incentive to run for the exit by the rest of the counsellors knowing that Jason will likely be there trying to kill the cop.

Incentive for other counsellors to openly pursue other escape options while Jason is dealing with the police.

Provide a (X) minute window for police rescue before the rescue closes. Then rescue cycle must be restarted. Jason's abilities temporarily ceased during police rescue loop when he is within the respective radius of the exit or is engaged with a counselor or officer in that radius, allowing other counsellors to openly work on other escape options without fear of alerting Jason while he is engaged with police rescue loop.

There are untold dynamics at potentially at play with this feature that the fuse doesn't speak for.

Everything I've said is a pipe dream. The game is too close to complete and release for the devs to rewrite that much code...

But it'd be nice for an update or a possible sequel.

My only point is I want more dynamic and less linear gameplay. The devs are doing an outstanding job in my opinion and I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

I don't think Jason should be able to break the fuse. I don't want to see any win conditions eliminated.

Side note.... I actually work for the phone company....

There's no fuse in a landline telephone... lol.

Yeah that bothered me too. Also junction boxes generally don't have lights on them. =)

One idea I thought of is that in addition to breaking the junction box, Jason could physically break the *phone*. Counselors would then have to find an old phone somewhere else, and connect it up to make the call. Maybe the dial is broken and they have to manually pulse dial 911 with the hookswitch or wires. =)