Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShankerOne

5 Horror Games to Play While Waiting for F13

4 posts in this topic

That whole release date thread from Wes is starting to get a little heated, so I figured I'd toss up a few horror games to play while waiting for Friday the 13th to come out. Keep in mind these are just a few I've played and enjoyed. Opinions may vary, but by all means, add a few of your own. I'm always looking for a good horror game with a decent story. To save some space on the obvious, I am excluding Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, I think that's a given at this point.

5. Dead Space: Say what you will about EA, but Dead Space was a solid horror games. If you haven't played it yet I do highly recommend this one as well as part 2. Part 3, not so much unless you just want some coop play. The first 2 are great survivor horror games with pretty decent stories and atmospheric tension (something hard to do in a coop atmosphere, which is why the 3 bits). But part 1 keeps things spooky with a number of different necromorph creatures and many painful ways to die in the cold of space. That and they managed to make the song Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star creepy as hell.

4. Alan Wake: This one as well as a sort of small DLC/Standalone called Alan Wake: American Nightmare is a kind of episodic horror story, and a pretty good one for those in the market. One of my favorite little bits is the collectibles which are manuscript pages to a story, which incidentally, often contain vague events that end up happening. So when you round that corner and see the lights to that diner the page mentioned, it's a bit chilling. Well worth a play and you can probably get it cheap by now. 

3. Alien Isolation: This one was an Aliens game done right and one that helped wash away some of the stench left by that whole Aliens Colonial Marines fiasco. It's atmospheric and has xenomorphs. What more needs to be said?

2. State of Decay: Originally released as an XBox 360 exclusive, State of Decay made its way to PC several months after its release. Since then a Year One Edition with all of the DLC has been released for both PC and Xbox One, so pick your platform.

This one is a pretty good zombie base building game and with the DLC that can become increasingly difficult waves or in the case of Lifeline, play with all your resources and slowly lose them as the zombie outbreak spreads and you fight to repel constant assaults on your small outpost while also collecting key survivors to combat the zombie virus. Great game in my opinion and pretty solid for something that was

pretty limited by the 2GB limit on Xbox Live Arcade game at that time. Sequel in the works as well.

1. Until Dawn: Last but not least is Until Dawn on the PS4. I just finally had a chance to play and finish this one recently and it was loads of fun. It meshed a few of my favorite horror movie types into one and made a pretty damn good story with some great scares. If I had to describe it, I would say it was a mesh of several movies. All the inspirations that this game draws from meshed together really has no real reason it should be anything but a jumbled mess, but the game, and story was way better than you might expect or that it even should have been. I do recommend this one highly if you have a PS4.

There are a few cons here. If you hate QTEs or dislike games that have a straight play through and out of your control checkpoint saves, you might get a little frustrated. However, if you just give the game a fair playthrough and not worry about how you fair the first time through, you will have a blast.

Edit: Just adding this, if you intend to play Until Dawn, careful looking up anything for research. It's really easy to just have spoiler laced titles to come popping up in the search browser, and this one is worth playing spoiler-free.

So that's 5. Feel free to suggest a few yourself. I can always use a good horror game story.

1 person likes this

Just play Alien Isolation and you won't play a survival game anymore.

1 person likes this

Figured I would add a couple more to the list. This time from the log of classics. You can find these somewhere between GoG and Steam. They're pretty good to kill some time.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Ever wonder what would happen if an AI wiped out humanity and kept a few select souls alive to torment for over a hundred year just before giving them a chance at freedom? Well, this is that game. From the twisted mind of Harlan Ellison, this classic little adventure game explores the past and future of the tormented 5. It's a game that is creepy in its own right and has pretty dark themes as you might have already guessed. As stated before, it's a point and click adventure game and comes with multiple endings, good and bad.

Link to the trailer included in the title above.

Phantasmagoria

Not gonna lie. This one is left over from the age of FMV games. They're not renowned for their great gameplay, but they can offer some good fun, a few scares, and maybe even a laugh or three. This one goes on that list. Phantasmagoria was a fairly controversial game when it first came out, landing itself in the news for it's dark themes and violent content.

If you can get past that whole trial-by-error gameplay that made up the FMV games of old I do recommend giving this one a try. It's got a bit of engaging story for those that enjoy a bit of the occult with a touch of the Amityville Horror mixed in. Linky included in the title and there is also a sequel that really has nothing to do with the original, but if you enjoy the first one go for it.

If you enjoy the ol FMV type games a few others you can check out include the 11th Hour, the 7th Guest, and Shivers. Enjoy!

1 person likes this