837 replies to this topic

GrifterWolf

GrifterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationColorado

Thank you kindly for the explanations sir, I'm sure it puts us all at ease that you are tirelessly working to get the game out as soon as possible; I think a lot of it was that "early" could fall anywhere within the realm of the first half of the year, with the announcement of single player mode coming in "Summer 2017" I think the deadline has already been somewhat set that spring is the expected release, I'm hoping it won't be as far out as March, but at least we are in the loop as to what takes a game so long to be released, or why releases really can't be set in stone.

tumblr_inline_nvzdfeDG951r5ight_500.gif

"Let the Beast Rise from Within"

JPops

JPops

Slasher

• Administrators
  • 1,940 posts

OK, so we (PC gamers) are attached to the CONSOLE times, and nothing can't change that to let it clear.

That is usually how a release works man. Wes went to give you a little explanation of the behind the scenes to be transparent. All of the games that release multi-platform go by the same rules. They just don't tell you that is the reason. There is a reason why most developers are not transparent and I believe your response is indicative of why there is usually silent. It's not about one over the other it's a launch plan. Each launch requires oversight to make sure that each launch is successful and there are no immediate issues with the game. It is best and most cost effective if this is done at one release across all platform rather than one at a time. I hope you can see the reasoning behind it, it's not to punish one platform or reward one platform over the other. It's just how it works.
  • DamonD7 and Pop like this

Posted Image

ZeroCool22

ZeroCool22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

That is usually how a release works man. Wes went to give you a little explanation of the behind the scenes to be transparent. All of the games that release multi-platform go by the same rules. They just don't tell you that is the reason. There is a reason why most developers are not transparent and I believe your response is indicative of why there is usually silent. It's not about one over the other it's a launch plan. Each launch requires oversight to make sure that each launch is successful and there are no immediate issues with the game. It is best and most cost effective if this is done at one release across all platform rather than one at a time. I hope you can see the reasoning behind it, it's not to punish one platform or reward one platform over the other. It's just how it works.

I understand.

But i still blame the consoles! /Joking.

G9Br2eY.gif

Pop

Pop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If we fail console cert, we would more than likely hold the PC launch until console certification has been passed. There would think there would be pitchforks at our doors if we launched on PC and told console players to wait a few months. Right?

Considering you're so open about why and how the console versions are late, I don't think people would complain much.

Besides, PC gamers are always the ones who have to wait for the PC port. Let us have this one first. :) 

ShankerOne

ShankerOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Best of luck on the cert. Hopefully it'll shoot through without any issue.

Pop

Pop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

i guess from a marketing perspective it makes sense to have one date.

but then again if the game is good (which it is), I think the hype from the PC version via Twitch streamers might help the console versions even if they are a few weeks late. 

ZeroCool22

ZeroCool22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Considering you're so open about why and how the console versions are late, I don't think people would complain much.

Besides, PC gamers are always the ones who have to wait for the PC port. Let us have this one first. :)

What about another little BETA to let us taste the new Features/Updates. ;)

G9Br2eY.gif

Pop

Pop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

What about another little BETA to let us taste the new Features/Updates. ;)

That would be great.

Release the PC version as the "final beta" while the consoles are getting their certifications. Then do an official "release" when consoles are ready to go. 

DamonD7

DamonD7

Some kind of goober

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationTavistock, Devon, UK
Having to wait for one version or another of a game to pass cert is not unusual, and neither are the times when it's the PC version that was causing the delay. This is pretty much one of the prime examples of things companies don't mention.

And getting all the ducks in a row for a unified launch is what's always strived for. Staggering it seems a logistical and financial complication, to say nothing of the negative response from those having to wait longer. I mean, we'd all like to think people would be different, but it's easy to picture the response to, say, Capcom coming out and saying "Oh, btw, the PS4 version of RE7 will now be coming out 3 months later than PC & Xbone", without even some exclusivity clause? Talk about your firestorm!

Tonyacasdrummer

Tonyacasdrummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
No worries. You guys just make a sweet game and we will buy it. To me being "kept in the dark" a little is kinda awesome. It reminds me of back in the day when bands would talk about the release of an album but would keep things a little hush hush. It made the release that much more special. Regardless of when it is released I am excited and I will continue to be excited even when I am finally holding that PS4 version in my hands. Good luck with getting certified guys.

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 124 posts

Wes, couldn't you just release the PC version on Steam via early access? A happy medium (only my opinion) would be to release it on early access when you pass console certification, that way PC players get it a little early but there's still a release date for both since early access isn't technically released. I definitely understand wanting to avoid as much rage as possible and really appreciate the transparency. 

The problem with Early Access games...most press outlets (IGN, GameInformer, etc) won't cover your game once you've actually "released". Some flat out refuse to cover Early Access games. Therefore it's difficult to get the enthusiast press sites to cover your game, thus your metacritic scores will be mostly from B and C level press sites. Granted the metacritic score isn't the end all be all...but it is still important. We spend a lot of time working with the press. Everytime you see a story pop up on one of the big sites, it's not a coincidence. We work with the sites, for about a month, lining everything up just for one reveal. We value that relationship we've built with the press, and you have to remember that while "new media" like Youtube and Twitch are massive new channels to spread the word about your game...it's hard to compare them to the reach of an IGN or Gamespot. 

wes

wes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 124 posts

Glad I already purchased this for pc. But for the console players, they should still expect the VOIP system, correct? Or is that a feature that you'll be forced to remove?

No we aren't removing it. We've already met with MS and Sony about this. We're just working with them so that when that cert requirement pops up, they DONT fail us. They let it slide. (which is basically what they did for The Division.)

• DamonD7, Nothingface and Risinggrave like this

twilitezoner

twilitezoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

No we aren't removing it. We've already met with MS and Sony about this. We're just working with them so that when that cert requirement pops up, they DONT fail us. They let it slide. (which is basically what they did for The Division.)

Thanks Wes for all of the information. It's great to hear this stuff straight from the developers of the game.

ShankerOne

ShankerOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

The problem with Early Access games...most press outlets (IGN, GameInformer, etc) won't cover your game once you've actually "released". Some flat out refuse to cover Early Access games. Therefore it's difficult to get the enthusiast press sites to cover your game, thus your metacritic scores will be mostly from B and C level press sites. Granted the metacritic score isn't the end all be all...but it is still important. We spend a lot of time working with the press. Everytime you see a story pop up on one of the big sites, it's not a coincidence. We work with the sites, for about a month, lining everything up just for one reveal. We value that relationship we've built with the press, and you have to remember that while "new media" like Youtube and Twitch are massive new channels to spread the word about your game...it's hard to compare them to the reach of an IGN or Gamespot. 

Oh they'll cover it. But I'll be honest, as much as I would love nothing more than to start playing F13 now, given the way a majority of early access titles have treated their content development, I'd keep keep that albatross as far away from the game as possible. I can cite "maybe" a handful of early access titles that feel like they're making progress as opposed to just milking what they can from their audience until it dies. What you're creating deserves better than to be lumped in with that pile of rabble.

As for news on gaming, IGN and Gamespot are pretty far from my list of "go to" sources for gaming news.

Damienhextakeson

Damienhextakeson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok i can understand the need to keep a Console date a Mystery, but thats Console, what about people who bought it for PC? Wouldn't that be a easier process? I mean PC games are not the same as Console, Why not say "PC Release date: w/e, Console Release Date Early 2017" I mean what if it takes 6-8 months from now for you to get Console cert  and mean while PC gamers are going "Well can't we still play?" 

Damienhextakeson

Damienhextakeson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah and we all know how good that f'en game was -.-

Super Ty

Super Ty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHaddonfield, Illinois
I enjoyed the beta so damn much I fully intend to get it on Steam and Xbox, and since I'll have friends on both systems it works out just fine. I win either way.

f13sig1.jpg

ShankerOne

ShankerOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Ok i can understand the need to keep a Console date a Mystery, but thats Console, what about people who bought it for PC? Wouldn't that be a easier process? I mean PC games are not the same as Console, Why not say "PC Release date: w/e, Console Release Date Early 2017" I mean what if it takes 6-8 months from now for you to get Console cert  and mean while PC gamers are going "Well can't we still play?" 

As much as all of us are with ya on wanting to play man, it looks like we're in a holding pattern until the console cert goes through. I think they want to do a simultaneous launch as they're not a huge studio with tons of resources. According to Wes in a post a couple of pages back:

If we fail console cert, we would more than likely hold the PC launch until console certification has been passed. There would think there would be pitchforks at our doors if we launched on PC and told console players to wait a few months. Right?

So we're probably on hold until the cert goes through. It sucks I know. I game on all 3 systems but am primarily a PC gamer, and know all too well how the PC generally is the platform that ends up having to wait for good releases by way of poor ports, so I'm certainly ready for this one to launch. But that's how it is atm. We'll just have to wait and hope the console cert goes well and doesn't hold things up for the rest of us for too long.

Nothingface

Nothingface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Sure. Because our VOIP system by-passes the consoles built in voice. Basically we turn off XB and PS4 voice and force the console to use ours.

HAHA! I like it!

So proxy voice for console players too? that's neat!

"He is Jason, the man who came back from hell with the strength of 1,000 retards." - Random Redditor

damnenchiladas

damnenchiladas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Do what you need to do. I'll be here to play it when it's ready. 

damnenchiladas-sig01.jpg

Check out my upcoming short film NEVER HIKE ALONEhttps://youtu.be/HZZzRf3JPSU

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users