wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

1,636 posts in this topic

^ I'm talking pre Marvel Now nonsense, SCREWNUT, when Marvel decided that politics were more important then telling fun stories.

No of course its unavoidable with people and the internet. My impression is that yes, it probably was causing that sort of issue. Or at least the threat of it happening was large enough that nipping it in the bud is the easier solution.

Why do damage control if you just silence the information?

People look at this forum as an official sounding source of information.

If someone told you a release date was posted on the steam forum, I bet you would be skeptical and probably check here or twitter before believing it.

But if you read on twitter that a post on forum.F13game.com announced the release date? You and I would log in here and check, but again knowing that there aren't that many users on here, most people would just read that and accept it as truth.

Again, they just posted this picture (which is awesome, by the way) and theoretically a lot of people might be coming here to look for new information. I would imagine the 'silencing' is a pre-emptive strike against release date and delay rumors. 

I see what you're saying. I'd have to say directing folks to a forum is likely a poor choice. A forum by design is for discussion, debate, speculation, opinions, etc. Static information on an official site is likely a better place to direct folks. Hindsight's 20/20 though.

A countdown to a misinformed delay. You really think they'd even want that?

You realize it would cause more damage than its worth.

I don't believe I was misinformed but we both know we're not going to agree on that. ;)

I'm just confused why anyone would be so upset that they're not allowed to spam a thread with an unnecessary countdown to a random date that potentially has no relevance.

I'm personally not upset. All they would have had to do was ask. How it was shutdown is what I took issue with. I'm not upset about that either. No safe space required. :)

One thing I can confirm, they are still in cert right now, Randy said so on the twitch stream. I believe if they hit a big snag they will let us know.

DialM likes this

One thing I can confirm, they are still in cert right now, Randy said so on the twitch stream. I believe if they hit a big snag they will let us know.

Did he happen to say how long till cert will be done or do they just have no idea at this time?

^ I'm talking pre Marvel Now nonsense, SCREWNUT, when Marvel decided that politics were more important then telling fun stories.

Ha ha ha.  I was just making a statement.  ;) 

Did he happen to say how long till cert will be done or do they just have no idea at this time?

It's impossible to say for certain how much longer cert will take. Every time they fix one issue, there is the potential they create another in its place. Programming is hard, man. I've taken college level programming and trust me, it's not like any other job where putting in more hours = more work done. Sometimes you hit a mental hurdle and can't even comprehend what you've done wrong for 6 hours. Then you're eating lunch feeling depressed about it, and you remember that you forgot to put brackets around something, and then you hate yourself for being such an idiot.

CreepingDeath likes this

It's impossible to say for certain how much longer cert will take. Every time they fix one issue, there is the potential they create another in its place. Programming is hard, man. I've taken college level programming and trust me, it's not like any other job where putting in more hours = more work done. Sometimes you hit a mental hurdle and can't even comprehend what you've done wrong for 6 hours. Then you're eating lunch feeling depressed about it, and you remember that you forgot to put brackets around something, and then you hate yourself for being such an idiot.

I know of these small problems with code ive done some programming of myself before made a basic top down game and some errors just sit there thinking wtf have i done wrong.

I know of these small problems with code ive done some programming of myself before made a basic top down game and some errors just sit there thinking wtf have i done wrong.

Now imagine it's 3d with physics, netplay, and on three operating systems and has to be compatible with 40 peripherals.

Well, looks like I missed a lot.

Not that my stance has changed, especially since it's the nebulous console cert process.

Ready when it's ready. Deep breaths and support the team.

Now imagine it's 3d with physics, netplay, and on three operating systems and has to be compatible with 40 peripherals.

Yeah not an easy task and i can see how it would take long time to get right with their small team. big companies that pump out new games every year would have way more employees and probably separate teams for every different section of coding

SHODANFreeman likes this

I see what you're saying. I'd have to say directing folks to a forum is likely a poor choice. A forum by design is for discussion, debate, speculation, opinions, etc. Static information on an official site is likely a better place to direct folks. Hindsight's 20/20 though.

Well, I believe the purpose was to direct the questions about release date and delays to the original post of this thread by Wes. That original post explaining why not to release information without having a solid date, and the console cert stuff is fairly enlightening. 

Unfortunately, now that this thread has nearly reached 40 pages, if someone decided to skim through all the different messages, there would be an astounding amount of varying opinions, arguments, mixed reactions and assumptions. Like I said, I think stopping the countdown (that we regular forum goers understand is meant to be light-hearted) to prevent any potential rumors or bad new circling around the release. Especially if they are very close to putting something together for us. 

Well, I believe the purpose was to direct the questions about release date and delays to the original post of this thread by Wes. That original post explaining why not to release information without having a solid date, and the console cert stuff is fairly enlightening.

Unfortunately, now that this thread has nearly reached 40 pages, if someone decided to skim through all the different messages, there would be an astounding amount of varying opinions, arguments, mixed reactions and assumptions. Like I said, I think stopping the countdown (that we regular forum goers understand is meant to be light-hearted) to prevent any potential rumors or bad new circling around the release. Especially if they are very close to putting something together for us.

I love how you call a countdown to failure light hearted and your excuse of it being you "just stating your opinion" when it was totally unnecessary is a load too. Even if you do look at like that then you were simply spamming the same "opinion" every day and weren't providing anything useful to the discussion.

Look I personally probably would not have shut it down, but to act like it was anything other than counting down to their failure is just wrong. I mean think about it. If you're at work trying to produce something for a client and every single day you get an elaborate email saying "6 days until you fail at your job and I don't care what you say about when you'll have it to me. I know you're going to fail." Would you smile about that and think "That's so awesome." or would you be thinking "Fuck you mother fucker. You don't even know what's actually going on here."?

I love how you call a countdown to failure light hearted and your excuse of it being you "just stating your opinion" when it was totally unnecessary is a load too. Even if you do look at like that then you were simply spamming the same "opinion" every day and weren't providing anything useful to the discussion.

Look I personally probably would not have shut it down, but to act like it was anything other than counting down to their failure is just wrong. I mean think about it. If you're at work trying to produce something for a client and every single day you get an elaborate email saying "6 days until you fail at your job and I don't care what you say about when you'll have it to me. I know you're going to fail." Would you smile about that and think "That's so awesome." or would you be thinking "Fuck you mother fucker. You don't even know what's actually going on here."?

+1 especially the second half couldn't have put it better myself.

To our perspective it looks innocent but honestly when the countdown began it was really obnoxious and I can see why they would be switched off by it.

SHODANFreeman likes this

"Delay" and "Failure" mean two very different things. Don't skew the context. 

We're on the internet; there is no context.

Either way we have no idea where they are at in terms of cert; they could have it done and are waiting or finishing things up, or they could be doing it just now as I type.  Who knows?  We certainly don't.  So I don't see the point in saying, "# of days before delay" when we have no idea if it would be delayed and we have another month to go before we even have confirmation.

Anyone who is talking about May 1st early 2017 blah blah ... just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

The fact that it is in cert means it's met target and is being pushed for release.

If they even ANNOUNCE a release date at the end of April they've still finished the game on target, even if they DON'T the game is in those final stages which are out of the devs' hands and they are at the mercy of the requirements of the consoles.

For all intents and purposes, the game is already done. The red tape they have to go through is just what it is.

Acting as if they have some deadline, which isn't even in their control at this point is obnoxious and totally uncalled for.

The game will release when it releases, no amount of bitching is going to change that. Pouting, holding your breath and stomping your feet like a toddler isn't going to change it, and only serves to make you look like immature fools.

Couple things I'm going to add; 

1. JPops is a volunteer with our forum and one of the most reliable guys I know. His work is incredibly appreciated and he's been a hell of a guy to rely on for help with our incredibly limited resources. Keep in mind, he is a volunteer and is not a member of Gun, IllFonic or anyone on the Friday the 13th team. 

2. You have every single right to insult me, yell at me, blame me, throw me under the bus or try to be snarky with me all you want. I am a person and I will respond as I see fit, but I won't silence you for opinions, ideas or thoughts. What I will silence is direct misinformation. The countdown has been presented as an 'official statement,' from one user to demand news under threat. That presentation is on a thread that has over 75K+ views on a topic that has been hotly discussed by our team and others. When a user gets on our forums and states his internal timeline as authoritative, I will not abide.

You are more than welcome to speculate. You are more than welcome to create your own timeline for what defines 'Early 2017,' and you can be as angry at me or the rest of Gun as you like because we aren't bowing to your pressure. That's entirely acceptable; but as soon as you cross a line and try to create an official statement on our forums without actually representing anyone on the F13 team, we're going to have a problem. Yes, the game of telephone is hard, but when we see the specific source of the issue taking place on our forums, we will do everything we can to ensure that people are made aware that it is in no way representative to our team, our timeline or our game. 

We went over the aspect of Early 2017 as defined by any time from January to April. By all accounts, our team is on track with our target of Early 2017, and we will not give you a specific date until we are 100% certain on what that day is. I promise you this, we are doing every single possible thing we can to ensure that you guys get this game and when you do you're going to have a smile on your face. I will more than gladly take this criticism because in the end we have one shot to deliver a first experience and we want it to be one you'll remember fondly. 

Couple things I'm going to add; 

1. JPops is a volunteer with our forum and one of the most reliable guys I know. His work is incredibly appreciated and he's been a hell of a guy to rely on for help with our incredibly limited resources. Keep in mind, he is a volunteer and is not a member of Gun, IllFonic or anyone on the Friday the 13th team. 

2. You have every single right to insult me, yell at me, blame me, throw me under the bus or try to be snarky with me all you want. I am a person and I will respond as I see fit, but I won't silence you for opinions, ideas or thoughts. What I will silence is direct misinformation. The countdown has been presented as an 'official statement,' from one user to demand news under threat. That presentation is on a thread that has over 75K+ views on a topic that has been hotly discussed by our team and others. When a user gets on our forums and states his internal timeline as authoritative, I will not abide.

You are more than welcome to speculate. You are more than welcome to create your own timeline for what defines 'Early 2017,' and you can be as angry at me or the rest of Gun as you like because we aren't bowing to your pressure. That's entirely acceptable; but as soon as you cross a line and try to create an official statement on our forums without actually representing anyone on the F13 team, we're going to have a problem. Yes, the game of telephone is hard, but when we see the specific source of the issue taking place on our forums, we will do everything we can to ensure that people are made aware that it is in no way representative to our team, our timeline or our game. 

We went over the aspect of Early 2017 as defined by any time from January to April. By all accounts, our team is on track with our target of Early 2017, and we will not give you a specific date until we are 100% certain on what that day is. I promise you this, we are doing every single possible thing we can to ensure that you guys get this game and when you do you're going to have a smile on your face. I will more than gladly take this criticism because in the end we have one shot to deliver a first experience and we want it to be one you'll remember fondly. 

Your efforts are appreciated Ben.

christheimp likes this