wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

1,636 posts in this topic

Wes, couldn't you just release the PC version on Steam via early access? A happy medium (only my opinion) would be to release it on early access when you pass console certification, that way PC players get it a little early but there's still a release date for both since early access isn't technically released. I definitely understand wanting to avoid as much rage as possible and really appreciate the transparency. 

The problem with Early Access games...most press outlets (IGN, GameInformer, etc) won't cover your game once you've actually "released". Some flat out refuse to cover Early Access games. Therefore it's difficult to get the enthusiast press sites to cover your game, thus your metacritic scores will be mostly from B and C level press sites. Granted the metacritic score isn't the end all be all...but it is still important. We spend a lot of time working with the press. Everytime you see a story pop up on one of the big sites, it's not a coincidence. We work with the sites, for about a month, lining everything up just for one reveal. We value that relationship we've built with the press, and you have to remember that while "new media" like Youtube and Twitch are massive new channels to spread the word about your game...it's hard to compare them to the reach of an IGN or Gamespot. 

Glad I already purchased this for pc. But for the console players, they should still expect the VOIP system, correct? Or is that a feature that you'll be forced to remove?

No we aren't removing it. We've already met with MS and Sony about this. We're just working with them so that when that cert requirement pops up, they DONT fail us. They let it slide. (which is basically what they did for The Division.)

No we aren't removing it. We've already met with MS and Sony about this. We're just working with them so that when that cert requirement pops up, they DONT fail us. They let it slide. (which is basically what they did for The Division.)

Thanks Wes for all of the information. It's great to hear this stuff straight from the developers of the game.

The problem with Early Access games...most press outlets (IGN, GameInformer, etc) won't cover your game once you've actually "released". Some flat out refuse to cover Early Access games. Therefore it's difficult to get the enthusiast press sites to cover your game, thus your metacritic scores will be mostly from B and C level press sites. Granted the metacritic score isn't the end all be all...but it is still important. We spend a lot of time working with the press. Everytime you see a story pop up on one of the big sites, it's not a coincidence. We work with the sites, for about a month, lining everything up just for one reveal. We value that relationship we've built with the press, and you have to remember that while "new media" like Youtube and Twitch are massive new channels to spread the word about your game...it's hard to compare them to the reach of an IGN or Gamespot. 

Oh they'll cover it. But I'll be honest, as much as I would love nothing more than to start playing F13 now, given the way a majority of early access titles have treated their content development, I'd keep keep that albatross as far away from the game as possible. I can cite "maybe" a handful of early access titles that feel like they're making progress as opposed to just milking what they can from their audience until it dies. What you're creating deserves better than to be lumped in with that pile of rabble.

As for news on gaming, IGN and Gamespot are pretty far from my list of "go to" sources for gaming news.

Ok i can understand the need to keep a Console date a Mystery, but thats Console, what about people who bought it for PC? Wouldn't that be a easier process? I mean PC games are not the same as Console, Why not say "PC Release date: w/e, Console Release Date Early 2017" I mean what if it takes 6-8 months from now for you to get Console cert  and mean while PC gamers are going "Well can't we still play?" 

Yeah and we all know how good that f'en game was -.-

I enjoyed the beta so damn much I fully intend to get it on Steam and Xbox, and since I'll have friends on both systems it works out just fine. I win either way.

Ok i can understand the need to keep a Console date a Mystery, but thats Console, what about people who bought it for PC? Wouldn't that be a easier process? I mean PC games are not the same as Console, Why not say "PC Release date: w/e, Console Release Date Early 2017" I mean what if it takes 6-8 months from now for you to get Console cert  and mean while PC gamers are going "Well can't we still play?" 

As much as all of us are with ya on wanting to play man, it looks like we're in a holding pattern until the console cert goes through. I think they want to do a simultaneous launch as they're not a huge studio with tons of resources. According to Wes in a post a couple of pages back:

If we fail console cert, we would more than likely hold the PC launch until console certification has been passed. There would think there would be pitchforks at our doors if we launched on PC and told console players to wait a few months. Right?

So we're probably on hold until the cert goes through. It sucks I know. I game on all 3 systems but am primarily a PC gamer, and know all too well how the PC generally is the platform that ends up having to wait for good releases by way of poor ports, so I'm certainly ready for this one to launch. But that's how it is atm. We'll just have to wait and hope the console cert goes well and doesn't hold things up for the rest of us for too long.

Sure. Because our VOIP system by-passes the consoles built in voice. Basically we turn off XB and PS4 voice and force the console to use ours.

HAHA! I like it!

So proxy voice for console players too? that's neat!

Thanks for the info. So some how voip will work for consoles or it will never work ? I just spent major $ on a Turtle Beach for my PS4 specifically for this game when it comes out. Is it going to work interacting with other players during the game or not ?  If not I'm taking them back.  Jerks...Never Wes !

Thanks for the info. So some how voip will work for consoles or it will never work ? I just spent major $ on a Turtle Beach for my PS4 specifically for this game when it comes out. Is it going to work interacting with other players during the game or not ?  If not I'm taking them back.  Jerks...Never Wes !

I'm sure it will work fine and the same as it does now. I think they just need to implement the console's chat system instead of their own. Or at least code it in some way that they don't conflict with each other.

It'll work on console. :)

TWarner likes this

I don't genuinely understand why so many people are freaking out and kicking up a stink about the release date.  I mean, I'd get it if it were like 3 years later and we had seen nothing of the game.  We literally JUST PLAYED IT last month, and people are still freaking out that it's vaporware or something.

we all kinda knew they had no clue when it would be released. the beta was junk. yes it was a beta but they should have been ahead of the game since the game was stalled. But thanks for giving us something. So we wont be getting the game early 2017 it will be mid 2017/spring or even summer. I would like to see them team up with aaa game company on part 2 of this game so we get a jason from every movie, map from each movie, and more detail/ stuff to do in the game. If they give us all of that even as dlc. I wouldnt mind waiting till their early 2017/ summer.

we all kinda knew they had no clue when it would be released. the beta was junk. yes it was a beta but they should have been ahead of the game since the game was stalled. But thanks for giving us something. So we wont be getting the game early 2017 it will be mid 2017/spring or even summer. I would like to see them team up with aaa game company on part 2 of this game so we get a jason from every movie, map from each movie, and more detail/ stuff to do in the game. If they give us all of that even as dlc. I wouldnt mind waiting till their early 2017/ summer.

No, the release date is still early 2017. This was an explanation on why no concrete date was given.

A delay, by any other name, is still a delay.

Thanks for the info on the process and the specifics on what's causing the delays. I imagine this was mostly done to head off any speculation heading into PAX. The only thing I'm unclear on is whether the console certification process has begun or they're still working on the game.

JasonVoorhees13 likes this

Oh my GOD! Wes is dropping the TRUTH BOMB on us! And you know what?

You know what?! I fricking love it! I do not want you to throw "pre-order exclusive DLC" or "Pre-order early access" at me. I just want to know the truth and only it. This here helps me a lot. It helps me understand, it also helps me dislike Sony and Microsoft. Overwatch's Jeff has touched on this with their patching because the PC community was wondering why they were running their test build for 2-3 weeks before patching. Its not because they have or want to run it. Its because they feel bad that people have to wait for this silly certification process every time they patch something in. So they at least want to give players a way to touch on this. They even said its not even possible to offer this on console because it would be considered a "New game" to Sony and Microsoft.

I just want to say, thank you very much for this very insightful and good post on how the whole process works. I am really, really excited for Friday the 13th: The Game and I am very glad that you also noticed on how fast people approach this game in terms of "gaming pace". Is what I like to call it anyway.

The fact that you are so open about this is great. Its very much so needed in my opinion anyway. It also kind of shows me wich games to avoid and which to trust, if that makes sense. (Looking at you: Batman Arkham Knight)

Thank you very much Wes and the whole Friday the 13th: The Game-Team.

wes and Liva like this

And you can't blame them for that, it's the most common reaction when you expect something to happen in a date and later get pushed a lot way later.

Not at all, we all know how they feel. I'm sure we'd all love to be stomping around Crystal lake instead of having this discussion.

However, it could have been a delay for other reasons, and there wouldn't be any additional new content.

Or it could have launched with some kinks still in it and then people would complain about the bugs.

My point is that I hope that people can stay positive on this, or at least keep an open mind. 

Besides, think of how the team must feel, introducing a lot of cool new stuff on top of all the other work they're doing, only to have some folks tell them how bad they are and how shitty a job they are doing.

There has been a lot of good information shared in this thread that shed light on aspects of the release, so I hope that people can be understanding.