SomebodyFancy

Who do you see yourself playing as the most?

139 posts in this topic

Anyone know how long it takes to unlock other counselors? If Tiffany is not available in the full version until unlocked, then maybe I'll play as Jenny until then, Jenny is probably one of playable characters that doesn't require grinding/unlocking.

Tiffany took a long ass time to unlock in the beta. Took me 5 days of solid playing (excluding sleeping) to unlock her.

Krystal likes this

5 days of grinding? honestly that doesn't sound too bad compared to Tomb Raider, where I played that game for weeks/months and not even halfway to unlock Lara Croft.  Just chose Samantha and that was the only character I played as until I dropped that game. I hated a lot of things about its multiplayer, and dropped out of matches if wasn't playing the heroes side (it was stupid you couldn't use the same character for both sides. I hate dictatorship design restrictions.   I felt that the multiplayer didnt even need a heroes vs villains concept for multiplayer when people should be able to play as whatever they want, no matter the side they are on.).

We can't really say how long it will take to unlock them, because in the beta leveling was sped up for testing purposes and also some unlocks have been moved. For instance Vanessa is now an unlock and not open from the start. I'd imagine others have been moved as well.

Well unless they did major overhaul of their stats, I think Jenny is intended to be "hard mode" for fans that don't want a statistical advantage and wanna overcome the odds with average or below average stats, so Jenny seems like she is gonna be that type of playable character that is available from the start.

I still don't know about the whole unlocking counselors thing, you know when you put playables behind a grinding wall, people will expect them to have better stats than the starting ones.  that doesn't sound balanced.  there could be other incentives to rank up without treating some of the counselors like carrots to invoke an artificial incentive to keep playing to unlock them.

And if that grind is too long it might put off some people. 

and it is clearly unfair that some players get to choose their favorite(s) at the start, while others have to do the grind before they get the counselor(s) they want to play as.

We dont even know how long the online community will be active.  and who's to say the people that drop out earlier, could of have more fun if their preferred counselors weren't locked behind level/rank grinding. Though it seems like perhaps the grind time won't be that much to unlock them all.

Though yea, I would be livid if neither Jenny, Deborah or Tiffany are choosable from the start.

the launch of the game would be more diversified and inviting if people could just choose to play as anyone. 

5 days of grinding? honestly that doesn't sound too bad compared to Tomb Raider, where I played that game for weeks/months and not even halfway to unlock Lara Croft. Just chose Samantha and that was the only character I played as until I dropped that game. I hated a lot of things about its multiplayer, and dropped out of matches if wasn't playing the heroes side (it was stupid you couldn't use the same character for both sides. I hate dictatorship design restrictions. I felt that the multiplayer didnt even need a heroes vs villains concept for multiplayer when people should be able to play as whatever they want, no matter the side they are on.).

Well unless they did major overhaul of their stats, I think Jenny is intended to be "hard mode" for fans that don't want a statistical advantage and wanna overcome the odds with average or below average stats, so Jenny seems like she is gonna be that type of playable character that is available from the start.

I still don't know about the whole unlocking counselors thing, you know when you put playables behind a grinding wall, people will expect them to have better stats than the starting ones. that doesn't sound balanced. there could be other incentives to rank up without treating some of the counselors like carrots to invoke an artificial incentive to keep playing to unlock them.

And if that grind is too long it might put off some people.

and it is clearly unfair that some players get to choose their favorite(s) at the start, while others have to do the grind before they get the counselor(s) they want to play as.

We dont even know how long the online community will be active. and who's to say the people that drop out earlier, could of have more fun if their preferred counselors weren't locked behind level/rank grinding. Though it seems like perhaps the grind time won't be that much to unlock them all.

Though yea, I would be livid if neither Jenny, Deborah or Tiffany are choosable from the start.

the launch of the game would be more diversified and inviting if people could just choose to play as anyone.

As for it being unfair that people will get to pick their favorite out of the gate while others have to play to unlock, I don't really see an issue here. This has been a standard practice forever. Other characters get unlocked as you play. The difference here is though that who you end up using is completely based on your play style and even playing as the starting characters wasn't really bad because there was enough open that you could still choose someone to support your play style. Maybe not as well as one of the unlocks, but still works.

There are also other incentives to keep playing. Like perks for your counselors, kills for your Jasons and there will be clothing options to unlock as well. So I think there is plenty of incentive to keep playing. I also think that the grind won't be too bad, because it is a fun game. Grinding can be fine as long as the game around it is fun.

There are also other incentives to keep playing. Like perks for your counselors, kills for your Jasons and there will be clothing options to unlock as well. So I think there is plenty of incentive to keep playing. I also think that the grind won't be too bad, because it is a fun game. Grinding can be fine as long as the game around it is fun.

But people have to be able to choose what they want to play as before they can start having TRUE fun. 

Gameplay alone doesn't carry a game. :) if people don't like the character/selection they have to choose from, most would refuse to play it, and others would stop playing if it takes too long to unlock their preferred characters. Why go through all that extra waiting and drama choosing characters they don't care for, compared to the unlockable character they prefer, so it is not fair, there is no equality nor freedom in that structure.

As for it being unfair that people will get to pick their favorite out of the gate while others have to play to unlock, I don't really see an issue here. This has been a standard practice forever.

Well games that follow that standard practice are messing with people's patience, preferences and emotions.

This isn't a COD game. the characters are not guns where the best guns are behind a grind wall, nor shouldn't be.  Overwatch has a lot of flaws, but even Blizzard was not so foolish as to place some heroes behind the grind wall.  Every single overwatch hero is playable from the start.  

. The difference here is though that who you end up using is completely based on your play style and even playing as the starting characters wasn't really bad because there was enough open that you could still choose someone to support your play style. Maybe not well as one of the unlocks, but still works.

how can people even choose characters based on their playstyle, if their playstyle prefers a certain character they prefer to play as?  Playstyle isn't simply based on stats/roles, but also character designs and aesthetics preferences. It all matters.

The whole characters behind a grind wall, is just plain inconsiderate design system.

I can accept clothing options as unlockables, but characters that shouldn't even be intended as superior characters compared to the starting characters, it is completely ASININE limiting the counselor selection and putting some behind the unlocking grind.

the whole statistical and "who's better at doing what", has completely misled the developers in what's important for counselor selection, and players deserve full access to all of them from the start.

and counselors behind an unlock grind is not going to be what determines the game's lifespan. It's a shameful artificial attempt at giving players more incentive to keep playing, and it's not fair nor cool at all that only a part of the community get to play as the counselors they want from the start.

playing as the character(s) a player wants, is worth more than playing for the grind, or playing for unlockables.

putting them behind the unlock grind is only a sign the developers have no confidence in the gameplay itself holding interest,

so placing certain counselors hostage behind the grind wall, just has no integrity towards what's right and justified.

Only when players can play as what they want, can the game feel fun and complete,

playing as the counselor the player wants to play as, fuels the incentive to keep playing and having fun.  not the grind itself.

Liva likes this

I think have them ALL locked. Choose your starting counselor and you unlock the rest in whichever order you choose.

I Was thinking the same thing too! Its the ideal situation. Everyone gets to play with who they want without feeling like some characters are superior because they're locked. Plus no more of 5 other people having the same character.

Santi_Lee likes this

But people have to be able to choose what they want to play as before they can start having TRUE fun. 

Gameplay alone doesn't carry a game. :) if people don't like the character/selection they have to choose from, most would refuse to play it, and others would stop playing if it takes too long to unlock their preferred characters. Why go through all that extra waiting and drama choosing characters they don't care for, compared to the unlockable character they prefer, so it is not fair, there is no equality nor freedom in that structure.

Well games that follow that standard practice are messing with people's patience, preferences and emotions.

This isn't a COD game. the characters are not guns where the best guns are behind a grind wall, nor shouldn't be.  Overwatch has a lot of flaws, but even Blizzard was not so foolish as to place some heroes behind the grind wall.  Every single overwatch hero is playable from the start.  

how can people even choose characters based on their playstyle, if their playstyle prefers a certain character they prefer to play as?  Playstyle isn't simply based on stats/roles, but also character designs and aesthetics preferences. It all matters.

The whole characters behind a grind wall, is just plain inconsiderate design system.

I can accept clothing options as unlockables, but characters that shouldn't even be intended as superior characters compared to the starting characters, it is completely ASININE limiting the counselor selection and putting some behind the unlocking grind.

the whole statistical and "who's better at doing what", has completely misled the developers in what's important for counselor selection, and players deserve full access to all of them from the start.

and counselors behind an unlock grind is not going to be what determines the game's lifespan. It's a shameful artificial attempt at giving players more incentive to keep playing, and it's not fair nor cool at all that only a part of the community get to play as the counselors they want from the start.

playing as the character(s) a player wants, is worth more than playing for the grind, or playing for unlockables.

putting them behind the unlock grind is only a sign the developers have no confidence in the gameplay itself holding interest,

so placing certain counselors hostage behind the grind wall, just has no integrity towards what's right and justified.

Only when players can play as what they want, can the game feel fun and complete,

playing as the counselor the player wants to play as, fuels the incentive to keep playing and having fun.  not the grind itself.

This has me torn. I would love to be able to play with my favorite Counselor's right from the start, but I think it would get boring a lot quicker though (at least to me).

I'm probably going to have a male and female main, but i'm a sucker for storytelling and roleplaying, so I'll most likely be playing a bit of everyone.

Kinda why im bummed theyre arent counselor abilities, I think it would have been an incentive to play different counselors, and it would have made playing each counselor that much more unique (Because right now theyre pretty much divided in two categories in which most play similarly : the distractions and the repair(wo)men

I'm probably going to have a male and female main, but i'm a sucker for storytelling and roleplaying, so I'll most likely be playing a bit of everyone.

Kinda why im bummed theyre arent counselor abilities, I think it would have been an incentive to play different counselors, and it would have made playing each counselor that much more unique (Because right now theyre pretty much divided in two categories in which most play similarly : the distractions and the repair(wo)men

True but I feel once they re-balance some features there will be even more of an incentive to play all characters.Plus the perks kind of act like abilities as I'm sure we have yet to see all them.

True but I feel once they re-balance some features there will be even more of an incentive to play all characters.Plus the perks kind of act like abilities as I'm sure we have yet to see all them.

True but the perks arent unique to specific counselors, so they dont really fill the purpose I was excited about

I can understand why they decided to remove the abilities feature. Its another hassle to balance. They could always bring it back in a limited, reduced form via DLC. They were probably concerned about players exploiting certain abilities, further adding to a tier of counselors. Maybe they don't want tiers to become a thing, though they likely, inevitably will.

Bookish girl. She was who I played most in the beta and I don't see that changing. Possibly the jock too but I don't know his stats yet other than that he can kick Jason's ass.

I just know my Adam is gonna be locked from the start and it's gonna suck. I don't mind playing as other counselors and I will. But, I want to play as them when I want to play as them, not be stuck playing them for a few weeks before I can finally unlock Adam and get to play as the char I wanted to play as from the start. :/

I think everyone should be unlocked from the start and leave unlocks to the perks, skins, clothing etc. 

I liked the idea that  you could purchase 1 character at the start, with maybe a form of "point" system, that way you could get any of the characters and start playing as them. 

And then you would slowly unlock them as you go, kinda like in League of Legends I believe, where you start out with IP to unlock a champion or two and then work your way up there (probably not with the big difference in points for each character, but where each character costs the same) and then you can unlock them as you go. At least you'll start out playing a character you like, and there won't be the "characters you unlock later will be more op" feeling to it :P

I still feel that the counselors that will be available at the start are going to have pretty basic starts in order for you to get a grasp on how everything works. Who knows, you might go into the game wanting to play as someone with high stamina but realize that stealth and intelligence are more up your alley the more you play and experience.

Do keep in mind folks that the beta gave you a test run of character builds. It was never promised that the finalized version would have them all readily accessible. Hell their stats may even be completely different than in the beta. Don't get so bent out of shape.

I think just 4 or 5 characters would be available from the start, my guesses are: Chad, Jenny, Kenny and Tiffany and/or Deborah.

I will be playing as Tiffany Cox cause she has everything you need to live except smartness but live that to the people who play as deb

On 4/9/2017 at 6:11 PM, Santi_Lee said:

I think just 4 or 5 characters would be available from the start, my guesses are: Chad, Jenny, Kenny and Tiffany and/or Deborah.

I don't think Tiffany would be the 1 of the 1st people you play as most likely she is gonna be last unlock or 2nd last to unlock in my opinion 

Maybe so. They know people will work for Tiffany!

I reckon she'll be the last female to unlock, and the last male...maybe Buggzy? I reckon a lot of players will want him due to him being overall best in combat.

Counselor: Eric, the idea of the guy who can't run 5 feet escaping Jason is hilarious to me.

Jason: Savini Jason, time to make their lives hell!