Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lVlatman

7 unique counselors per match.

104 posts in this topic

On May 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Caliph said:

I don't think you're correct but only one of us has the power in this conversation. You don't agree with what i'm saying therefore I must not know what i'm talking about.

Dude, that was a lot of typing just to say you don't agree. I'm not coming at you as a mod though. Just a fellow gamer. Jpops is the much more active mod of the two of us.  Look, let's just say either option can work, but we both have our preferences. 

image.jpeg

Caliph and bewareofbears like this

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, DamonD7 said:

If I see the other players with 7 Vanessas lined up in the lobby screen, I'm making sure I've got a J3 or J6 picked in case I'll be Jason for that round.

J6 for the knives, J3 because who'd give a damn about his weaker Sense ability with that lot of elephants clomping around.

And they'd take about four days to fix anything on the car.

That's an interesting perspective. Choosing Jason based on the group composition. Refresh my memory, does Jason pick their version after everyone else chooses counselors?

Hobgoblin238 likes this

Everyone picks a Jason and counselor they want to be in the lobby screen. Along with any perks for the counsellors.

So it's all at the same time effectively, pick one then the other and go back and change either (or both) as you see fit. Until everyone gives the okay to launch the game.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:16 AM, Risinggrave said:

Let me ask. Do you stock Cap N' Crunch? Because if so you could inform them that it will cost extra to do what they wish and then charge them for both the hamburger and cereal. You make money, and your patron has his weird craving fulfilled. Win win.

To use an example a bit more normal. If a customer asks for a pickle on his hamburger (or on the side if you have spears) do you tell them that it isn't on the menu and to fuck off? If you do, I'd suggest getting out of customer service, and maybe practice being a dick on the mic. Then become "El CapCruncho", Luchador of Doom! 

Been in business 8 years now.  I love when people NOT in my business tell me how to run a restaurant...LOL.  Go ahead and google Monster Cafe Saltillo.  8 years is a milestone in running a restaurant.  Restaurants usually fail in 5 years.  

Caliph likes this

16 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Been in business 8 years now.  I love when people NOT in my business tell me how to run a restaurant...LOL.  Go ahead and google Monster Cafe Saltillo.  8 years is a milestone in running a restaurant.  Restaurants usually fail in 5 years.  

You're right- around here they usually die in about three years. Your place looks pretty cool.

33 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Very cool. If I ever visit i'm definitely stopping by.

49 minutes ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Congrats on your success. You didn't answer my question though and I'm curious. If I want some cereal on my hamburger are you going to tell me to fuck off? 

2 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Congrats on your success. You didn't answer my question though and I'm curious. If I want some cereal on my hamburger are you going to tell me to fuck off? 

They may say no simply because they don't have any cereal in the restaraunt. Come to think of it- I don't know if I've ever bought cereal in a restaurant. I wonder if you even can. That would be pretty funny.

7 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

They may say no simply because they don't have any cereal in the restaraunt. Come to think of it- I don't know if I've ever bought cereal in a restaurant. I wonder if you even can. That would be pretty funny.

Most cafe's and flapjack serving resturants I've been to stock the single serving sizes of cereal. You pay through the nose for it. With that it's more often cereal like Rice Crispy's, Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran and Lucky Charms.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get it if the item isn't in stock. But if it is, and a patron still gets attitude? Well that says something about the establishment. 

As far as Hobby, his place has what, a 4.5/5 customer service rating. So I'm thinking he's not quite the big bad he is acting like in the thread. 

13 hours ago, Hobgoblin238 said:

Right, but you wouldn't offer food at this place and not allow people to have it the way they like it would you? That was the whole premise of my original business comparison. I'm sure people are allowed to go to your restaurant and sub in a different bread on a sandwich; or a different kind of cheese on a burger. Same goes for the game here. If three people really want to play as one character cause it fits their style of play, they shouldn't be blocked from being able to do that. It's not telling Gun how to make their game, Gun still gets to make the game they've always wanted to. This is giving the players the ability to play said game how they want to play it and expecting Gun to do due diligence in balancing appropriately so that is achievable. Making everyone play as someone different is like forcing a Battlefield player to inexplicably only use the sniper cause other players already spawned with the shotgun, pistol, and assault rifle, even though that dude might hate being a sniper. It's usually not fun being forced to play a specific way you dislike, and ultimately fun factor is the deciding factor on if a game is good or not.

Also, your spot looks pretty sweet. Props to you for the continued success.

54 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Right, but you wouldn't offer food at this place and not allow people to have it the way they like it would you? That was the whole premise of my original business comparison. I'm sure people are allowed to go to your restaurant and sub in a different bread on a sandwich; or a different kind of cheese on a burger. Same goes for the game here. If three people really want to play as one character cause it fits their style of play, they shouldn't be blocked from being able to do that. It's not telling Gun how to make their game, Gun still gets to make the game they've always wanted to. This is giving the players the ability to play said game how they want to play it and expecting Gun to do due diligence in balancing appropriately so that is achievable. Making everyone play as someone different is like forcing a Battlefield player to inexplicably only use the sniper cause other players already spawned with the shotgun, pistol, and assault rifle, even though that dude might hate being a sniper. It's usually not fun being forced to play a specific way you dislike, and ultimately fun factor is the deciding factor on if a game is good or not.

Also, your spot looks pretty sweet. Props to you for the continued success.

That depends on what class of restaurant you go to. In many high end restaurants it's actually considered an insult to chef and staff to ask for the meal to be seasoned differently without at least first trying it. In others the idea of changing a "dish" to something else would be laughed at. Not every establishment is catering in approach and there are many places you order what is offered and not what you want. Semantics though as I take your point.

The Battlefield comparison is a little different. In Battlefield you are representing one of a legion of soldiers and each time you die you represent a new and different soldier coming from the rear to the front lines. In this game you represent one unique counselor and except for the part of someone playing Tommy you do not re-spawn. Your death is unique to that game and final. Except that the decision has been made that you aren't unique.

Gun has apparently made its decision regarding it as per Jpops post so at this point there is nothing left but to watch and see how it plays out. I'm optimistic that the game has been adjusted appropriately to where one meta isn't so versatile that it makes playing others competitively, futile.

I know you weren't addressing me with this post but you stated previously that you were addressing us as a gamer and I took that as casual so I felt comfortable chiming in. Just conversation as we wait for release.

36 minutes ago, Caliph said:

That depends on what class of restaurant you go to. In many high end restaurants it's actually considered an insult to chef and staff to ask for the meal to be seasoned differently without at least first trying it. In others the idea of changing a "dish" to something else would be laughed at. Not every establishment is catering in approach and there are many places you order what is offered and not what you want. Semantics though as I take your point.

The Battlefield comparison is a little different. In Battlefield you are representing one of a legion of soldiers and each time you die you represent a new and different soldier coming from the rear to the front lines. In this game you represent one unique counselor and except for the part of someone playing Tommy you do not re-spawn. Your death is unique to that game and final. Except that the decision has been made that you aren't unique.

You're talking about very exclusive, and much less common, five star restaurants, and even those will still make changes for people with allergies... There's no video game that fits the comparison of the high class, upper echelon restaurant business model. Games are made and sold at a standardized price for the base market pretty much 100% of the time. They're the downtown diner of entertainment pricing, they're available to anyone that wants to go.

Also, the Battlefield comparison is appropriate in so far as that I'm not talking about the individual characters, I'm talking about a game forcing players to play a specific way by limiting player choices arbitrarily. Ultimately, the counselors are just character classes with a name assigned to them. There's the stealth class, the strength class, the speed class, etc. If your whole concern is them being "unique characters" then you can tell yourself they're identical twins in this particular "movie", those do exist after all. Either that or the game can force duplicate characters to use different outfits so they look differently. Then they'll be unique in a very small way.

Caliph likes this

4 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Most cafe's and flapjack serving resturants I've been to stock the single serving sizes of cereal. You pay through the nose for it. With that it's more often cereal like Rice Crispy's, Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran and Lucky Charms.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get it if the item isn't in stock. But if it is, and a patron still gets attitude? Well that says something about the establishment. 

As far as Hobby, his place has what, a 4.5/5 customer service rating. So I'm thinking he's not quite the big bad he is acting like in the thread. 

I see what you're saying. Personally, I'd do it if I had the cereal in stock.

On a side note, the only time I got cereal was one of those "free continental" breakfasts where you think it's a perk but it's those single serving cereal cups and some watered down orange juice. Mind you, I've never stayed anywhere fancy. 

15 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Uh, that's exactly what they would do.

McDonalds does this.  I work there; we have particular things on our breakfast and all-day-breakfast menus.  If you ask for a Egg White Delight during lunch time you aren't getting it.  Why?  Because it isn't on our all day menu, and it would take triple the time to prepare because we need to make room for the Lunch menu items as well as the all-day-breakfast items which we can only stock so many.  Not that you can't go and prepare one, it just isn't convenient for the restaurant to do so.

So, yeah, you wouldn't get the Egg White Delight.  And if the customer insisted, we'd likely tell them off, and if they got angry, we'd kick them out.  Because we aren't going to take the time to make sure one customer gets their damn White Delight to the expense of the five people waiting in lobby and ten waiting in Drive Thru.  One dissatisfied customer and fifteen satisfied ones is a far better outcome than bending over backwards to satisfy one customer at the expense of your own time, the dissatisfaction of keeping others waiting, and by extension of those two, your own potential profits if a few customers decide to walk off or drive off while waiting.

"Customer is king" only goes so far.

This isn't necessarily on topic but I had to correct this; upon examination this is a bit of a false equivalency because customer service is more complicated than "do whatever the customer wants, no matter what".

In fact I don't think this whole conversation is an inappropriate equivalency to developing video games.  You're obviously going to develop a video game differently than if you run a restaurant.

--

As far as my opinion goes in regards to using one counselor; it remains the same.  No.  This isn't a team game, not like TF2 where classes have to get restricted and stuff for the purpose of a balanced match.  There is no balance necessary that requires the restriction of "classes" here so there is no reason to restrict them in the first place.

20 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

As far as my opinion goes in regards to using one counselor; it remains the same.  No.  This isn't a team game, not like TF2 where classes have to get restricted and stuff for the purpose of a balanced match.  There is no balance necessary that requires the restriction of "classes" here so there is no reason to restrict them in the first place.

Agree with everything you said. As a side thought, even if viewed as a team game there's no real reason to restrict teams. If a group of counselors can work best as three of one particular guy and four players as another guy, let them play that way and rely on the Jason player to be smart enough to beat that strategy. It's all just an ebb and flow of how the design of the game is suppose to work.

42 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Agree with everything you said. As a side thought, even if viewed as a team game there's no real reason to restrict teams. If a group of counselors can work best as three of one particular guy and four players as another guy, let them play that way and rely on the Jason player to be smart enough to beat that strategy. It's all just an ebb and flow of how the design of the game is suppose to work.

Why tie counselor appearance to stats then? Choose an archetype stats and an avatar and go. Appearance and continuity must have had some aspect in the decision making. The tropes. No Friday the 13th movie ever had all jocks or all brainiac's. The matches in this game will though, and often. So much went into making the game accurate and movie like only to throw that in the waste bin when it comes to this issue.

9 minutes ago, Caliph said:

Why tie counselor appearance to stats then? Choose an archetype stats and an avatar and go. Appearance and continuity must have had some aspect in the decision making. The tropes. No Friday the 13th movie ever had all jocks or all brainiac's. The matches in this game will though, and often. So much went into making the game accurate and movie like only to throw that in the waste bin when it comes to this issue.

@Risinggrave this is exactly what I mean when I say the movies are used to justify overall unnecessary or even bad decisions.

This idea is unnecessary.  The movies in this regard are irrelevant, because the decision to restrict people to archetypes and the choice not to are both lore-friendly.  There is no reason to suppose that there can't be one, two, or even a whole group of Jocks at Camp Crystal Lake.  So this isn't an issue with the movies, you're simply making it an issue with the movies.

The movies don't justify bad or unbeneficial decisions.

25 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

@Risinggrave this is exactly what I mean when I say the movies are used to justify overall unnecessary or even bad decisions.

This idea is unnecessary.  The movies in this regard are irrelevant, because the decision to restrict people to archetypes and the choice not to are both lore-friendly.  There is no reason to suppose that there can't be one, two, or even a whole group of Jocks at Camp Crystal Lake.  So this isn't an issue with the movies, you're simply making it an issue with the movies.

The movies don't justify bad or beneficial decisions.

Having seven of the same avatar because people want a set of stats is a bad decision. It detracts from immersion, makes streaming somewhat less entertaining and is easily remedied by simply assigning the avatar randomly while allowing the stats to be selected per player choice.

The movies are the reason people want to play this game. The movies are the reason things are setup as they are. The movies are what the developers have said they wanted to stick to as much as possible. You may disagree with the suggestion but you don't get to disregard the movies because it's convenient to your point of view.

This will be a much more glaring issue if Chad becomes the go to guy. The more distinct appearance of the avatar the greater the effect. There are people who have brought up inconsistencies with Jason's masks and one thread where Ben asked whether they should correct Jason's missing eye in a given part. Details matter.

9 minutes ago, Caliph said:

Having seven of the same avatar because people want a set of stats is a bad decision. It detracts from immersion, makes streaming somewhat less entertaining and is easily remedied by simply assigning the avatar randomly while allowing the stats to be selected per player choice.

1. The movies are the reason people want to play this game. The movies are the reason things are setup as they are. The movies are what the developers have said they wanted to stick to as much as possible. You may disagree with the suggestion 2. but you don't get to disregard the movies because it's convenient to your point of view.

This would be much more glaring of an issue if Chad becomes the go to guy.

1. That is a presupposition you cannot prove.  For one, I've only seen one of the films, Part 3.  And I don't care to see anymore.  Yet I want to play this game really bad.  In fact I love their attention to detail with the movies thus far.

2. Actually we do get to do that.  The developers have been keen on remaining as diligent to the movies as possible in terms of detailing the game, making everything just right, making it FEEL and LOOK like a Friday The 13th movie.  You want to go a step further and you want it to PLAY like one, which if it were to play like one that'd be downright awful.  I'm not letting movie fans influence this game poorly because they want it to play like a movie.  If we had it your guy's way we probably wouldn't have the awesome Savini Jason that so many people are excited for.

If they can get multiple skins for Counselors that changes the look of their character, fine, but honestly that's really hard to pull off with their budget.  Making models isn't as easy as changing cloths or changing colors.

Recoloring outfits would be good enough to create diversity.  Models will have to wait.

7 minutes ago, Caliph said:

The movies are the reason people want to play this game. The movies are the reason things are setup as they are. The movies are what the developers have said they wanted to stick to as much as possible. You may disagree with the suggestion but you don't get to disregard the movies because it's convenient to your point of view.

This would be much more glaring of an issue if Chad becomes the go to guy. The more distinct appearance of the avatar the greater the effect. It absolutely does matter. There are people who have brought up inconsistencies with Jason masks and one thread where Ben asked whether they should correct Jason's missing eye in a given part. Details matter.

They DO get to disregard the movies when it doesn't make sense to the context of the video game though. No movie is an exact replication of a book, and no video game is an exact replication of a movie. There's liberties taken to have it fit in the confines of it's new medium. This is an online multiplayer game. I can personally guarantee you're going to experience at least one thing in nearly every game that probably detracts from immersion, because immersion is impossible to completely guarantee when 8 random people are allowed to play together. There's always going to be one guy that attacks the other counselors, or immediately crashes the car after everyone works to fix it, or just stands in one spot AFK, or even goes off on some achievement hunt that has nothing to do with surviving the match. Same concept with streaming. The average concurrent viewers on Twitch at any one time is 500,000 between all the games being streamed on there. It doesn't seem like a good model to force players to play as someone they don't want simply so a couple thousand people online can get a little more enjoyment watching the game be played. Especially since the one being forces is a paying customer and the one doing the watching might not be. Why cater to a non-paying customer at the expense of the paying customers enjoyment?

Nothingface likes this

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

They DO get to disregard the movies when it doesn't make sense to the context of the video game though. No movie is an exact replication of a book, and no video game is an exact replication of a movie. There's liberties taken to have it fit in the confines of it's new medium. This is an online multiplayer game. I can personally guarantee you're going to experience at least one thing in nearly every game that probably detracts from immersion, because immersion is impossible to completely guarantee when 8 random people are allowed to play together. There's always going to be one guy that attacks the other counselors, or immediately crashes the car after everyone works to fix it, or just stands in one spot AFK, or even goes off on some achievement hunt that has nothing to do with surviving the match. Same concept with streaming. The average concurrent viewers on Twitch at any one time is 500,000 between all the games being streamed on there. It doesn't seem like a good model to force players to play as someone they don't want simply so a couple thousand people online can get a little more enjoyment watching the game be played. Especially since the one being forces is a paying customer and the one doing the watching might not be. Why cater to a non-paying customer at the expense of the paying customers enjoyment?

Streamers are important enough to be given early access to the game. First impressions, word of mouth and all that jazz. If the people watching the streams see games full of the same avatar do you not think they are going to ask why is that like that? Right off the bat as a viewer i'd ask where the customizable avatar options were.

Your argument to regard or disregard the movies is absolutely confused or disingenuous. There have been threads over minute details sponsored by the owner/founder of the company such as to correct Jason's eye or leave it uncorrected and yet this issue is treated as some type of nuanced bickering over the shade of tree bark. It's not. It's the entire cinematic continuity of the game.

Kill number one, Chad is mounted on hooks. Kill number 2, Chad's head is smashed in the door. Kill number three, Chad is hacked to death by an axe. Kill number 4, Chad is thrown in the fireplace.

After expending resources to painstakingly recreate the setting to match the movies, the facial expressions regarding fear, authentic avatars, kill moves, costume details, to treat the issue as insignificant is perplexing. The world won't end, obviously, but the forum is here to bring up these issues and it's an issue.

3 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I see what you're saying. Personally, I'd do it if I had the cereal in stock.

On a side note, the only time I got cereal was one of those "free continental" breakfasts where you think it's a perk but it's those single serving cereal cups and some watered down orange juice. Mind you, I've never stayed anywhere fancy. 

Yeah. While an odd request, it wouldn't be harder then making the burger and pouring cereal on it. The only issue would be if the restaurant had the supplies. 

2 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

Uh, that's exactly what they would do.

McDonalds does this.  I work there; we have particular things on our breakfast and all-day-breakfast menus.  If you ask for a Egg White Delight during lunch time you aren't getting it.  Why?  Because it isn't on our all day menu, and it would take triple the time to prepare because we need to make room for the Lunch menu items as well as the all-day-breakfast items which we can only stock so many.  Not that you can't go and prepare one, it just isn't convenient for the restaurant to do so.

So, yeah, you wouldn't get the Egg White Delight.  And if the customer insisted, we'd likely tell them off, and if they got angry, we'd kick them out.  Because we aren't going to take the time to make sure one customer gets their damn White Delight to the expense of the five people waiting in lobby and ten waiting in Drive Thru.  One dissatisfied customer and fifteen satisfied ones is a far better outcome than bending over backwards to satisfy one customer at the expense of your own time, the dissatisfaction of keeping others waiting, and by extension of those two, your own potential profits if a few customers decide to walk off or drive off while waiting.

McDonalds isn't quite on the same level as a cafe, either. If I go to a place where everything is made to order and I'll be sitting there awhile, I don't see an issue. To give you an example for Mcdonalds, if somebody asks for extra nugget sauce, do you give it to them (either for free or for a small charge) or do you tell them to kick rocks?

Also if patrons start getting rowdy, they should be shown the door. But that isn't my point. 

"Customer is king" only goes so far.

Indeed. I agree with this wholeheartedly. However if I'm going to eat someplace, that establishment shouldn't be dicks if something I want isn't quite how they usually do it. 

This isn't necessarily on topic but I had to correct this; upon examination this is a bit of a false equivalency because customer service is more complicated than "do whatever the customer wants, no matter what".

In fact I don't think this whole conversation is an inappropriate equivalency to developing video games.  You're obviously going to develop a video game differently than if you run a restaurant.

--

That's not what I'm saying. I'm not going to walk into a autoparts store and expect a steak. However if I go to the wafflehut and say "Hey, can you put some cereal on top of my pancake?" the waitstaff shouldn't say no unless they don't carry cereal. So again, to give a McD's example. "Hey can I have onion rings instead of fries?" *Clerk loses their shit.* 

1 hour ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

The movies don't justify bad or unbeneficial decisions.

You and I are in agreement here. But that's because Caliph doesn't have much of an argument. The fact is gameplay has to be balanced into the equation. I personally don't want to see all the disconnects or lobby loitering that will happen when player 1 gets stuck being somebody he doesn't want. 

1 hour ago, Caliph said:

Having seven of the same avatar because people want a set of stats is a bad decision.

This is why avatar customization is such a great thing. 

1 hour ago, Caliph said:

. It detracts from immersion, makes streaming somewhat less entertaining and is easily remedied by simply assigning the avatar randomly while allowing the stats to be selected per player choice.

Says one guy. 

Streaming isn't the focus of this game's development. 

And that remedy will lead to how many people dropping because they don't want to play certain counselors. I think if forced play was a thing for counselors, the majority would be displeased. And I don't think Gun wants to alienate their fans. 

1 hour ago, Caliph said:

You're damn right. We want to play a game that puts us into the landscape of our favorite horror movie. But by your logic Jason should be able to auto kill all but the final girl trope, and she should have a Mario star of invincibility. The fact is that there has to be enough distance from the film to make this a playable game. Everything Gun does should take the franchise into account, but that doesn't change the fact this is a different medium. 

1 hour ago, Caliph said:

This will be a much more glaring issue if Chad becomes the go to guy. The more distinct appearance of the avatar the greater the effect. There are people who have brought up inconsistencies with Jason's masks and one thread where Ben asked whether they should correct Jason's missing eye in a given part. Details matter.

Wha? Are you saying that too much Chad is a bad thing? For shame. At any rate, if the customization is decent, combined with the counselor clothing pack, you could have 7 Chad's who all look subtly different. 

At the end of the day if you want to play as a particular counselor who is unique to you over one you actually enjoy playing, do you. I'm going to play who I enjoy the most, even if the others have the same taste. 

With that, Ralph and Blaze can carry this torch if they'd like. We already know we can have a lobby of seven Vanessa's and I'm fine with that. 

Lets stay with us being able to pick which counselor we would like to play as without any restrictions. If seven people wanna be Vanessa, go for it. seven erics? Have fun. They all bleed the same. Sure it'll be a little weird but it won't be an every game thing (i hope).

On 2017-5-11 at 6:28 AM, Risinggrave said:

A 5 is considered perfect.  A perfect rating.  On some sites.  But hey, EVERY single restaurant always has some blowhard that leaves a bad rating.  Every single one.  Maybe even a dozen.  Not worried about that at all.  Also  Didn´t know I was acting big and bad but ok...If saying we do not sell cereal is big and bad then your definition needs improving.

Caliph likes this

I would definitely prefer all unique counselors and no repeats in the same match. Nothing takes you out of the game faster than seeing an identical duplicate of your counselor running around near you. Great way to kill the immersion. 

Caliph likes this