bewareofbears

Suggest a movie: Best (and worst) recent horror movies you've seen

176 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Ravager really only works as a nostalgia piece. Outside of fans of the series, I would never recommend it. On it's own, it makes no sense.

Rings was disappointing. The main actress was awkward- a strange, delayed delivery. 

Ravager looks like a bad fan film. I will forever love Phantasm, but it is by far the worst of the lot to me. Although I can still enjoy it for what it was. 

Rings was terrrrrrrible. The Samara Club was interesting and felt like a completely different film to the second half, which pretty much turned into Ring 2. The movie borrowed a lot from Sadako 3D, which was universally despised...odd decision for them to borrow from the worst in the Japanese series and think it would turn a profit. 

8 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Ravager really only works as a nostalgia piece. Outside of fans of the series, I would never recommend it. On it's own, it makes no sense.

Rings was disappointing. The main actress was awkward- a strange, delayed delivery. 

Most definitely.  Anybody who jumped in on this one would run away screaming.  

For the year so far -

Best: Get Out. Hands down. I saw this in the theatre four times. I love everything about it.

Worst: Rings. So bad. I'm still not sure how someone conned Vincent D'Onofrio into being in this. Also I was bored and I'm not gonna lie I fell asleep for about ten minutes of it and apparently missed absolutely nothing while doing so.

Not so recent, but if you don't mind subtitles watch these:

French films include:  "Frontiers" and "Inside" are MUST watches!  "Irreversible" is good

Korean films - the Vengeance trilogy - "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" "Old Boy"(must watch)

Japanese - "Ichi the Killer", "Audition" - really, if you stick to his horror Takashi Miike has some good ones, just watch for weird ones like Visitor Q.

"3 Extremes" - especially the one titled "Dumplings" though "Cube" and the other one are good.

If you just want to watch gore, try Guinea Pig series' entry "Mermaid in a Manhole" and "He Never Dies", or Toe Tag Pictures "August Underground Mordum" (though I won't openly recommend this to anyone)  "Red Sin Tower" by Toe Tag is one of the worst films I have ever sat through.

Horror Comedy that doesn't involve Bruce Campbell - Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" aka Braindead in New Zealand.  Troma Pictures' "Poultrygeist" and "Tucker and Dale Versus Evil" is a guilty pleasure thanks to Alan Tudyk.

Redmarble likes this

On 4/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, Risinggrave said:

I'm hoping it's better then the original. I didn't like that too much.  I also hope they give it a bit more of the cosmic horror feel, and make the spider form scary. 

While I'm doubtful because the studios are different, I wouldn't mind a nod to the Dark Tower and vice versa.

I would love the nod to IT in Dark Tower, but let's be real, as soon as they cast Idiris Elba and the guy who digs high school girls because they stay the same age (just an exaggeration, I appreciated his great performance in True Detective) as the Gunslinger and The Wizard, you know they are going to ruin the book series. I can't wait to see what they do with Oi though!

1 hour ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I would love the nod to IT in Dark Tower, but let's be real, as soon as they cast Idiris Elba and the guy who digs high school girls because they stay the same age (just an exaggeration, I appreciated his great performance in True Detective) as the Gunslinger and The Wizard, you know they are going to ruin the book series. I can't wait to see what they do with Oi though!

It surely won't be dead on true to the books (which I have not read much into. I got maybe three deep in the Dark Tower stuff and a few comics.) but it will hopefully be good. 

On 6/24/2017 at 0:21 AM, Risinggrave said:

It surely won't be dead on true to the books (which I have not read much into. I got maybe three deep in the Dark Tower stuff and a few comics.) but it will hopefully be good. 

So I found out the premise for this movie is actually after the books. SPOILER ALERT

If you read the books, you know the ending is the beginning all over again. Apparently the movie is supposed to pick up and the second time through. Hope to see the priest from Salem's Lot and all the other cameos. 

another film I just watched the other day and enjoyed, Baskin.

2 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Dark Tower Spoilers

That is my understanding as well. 

Best horror movie I've watched recently: Nightbreed: The Director's Cut. I never saw the Theatrical Cut but the ending for the Director's Cut was more depressing. It really took the whole monster/slasher film idea and switched it around to make humans the real monsters. I read interviews where Clive Barker clashed with the studio about the product and it's message. It made me have respect for David Cronenberg as an actor, he was great as Decker, a modern (for the late 80's/early 90's) Jack the Ripper, I wish Decker got a more gruesome death and or at least winds up in hell for all the lives he took.

Worst horror movie: Population 436, a basic "small town is evil" film where the town kills people to keep the population at 436, kinda weird they all dress like it's the 1930's and have an old school fire hall. It reminds me of "The Lottery". Some scenes reminded me of the 1997 film, Rosewood.

I finally watched the remake of I Spit on Your Grave. First off, I respect the original but I am the type of person that can't sit through 45 minutes of rape. So honestly, for the remake, I fast forwarded until about 40 minutes in, after three different rape scenes were done and she was hell bent on revenge. I have to say though, I really enjoyed her methods of killing in the remake version. Clever and brutal.

It's not recent but the worst horror movie I've ever seen was Neon Maniacs.

Not worst as in unwatchable; more in the sense of wtf were they thinking when they came up with this idea. Of course being slightly intoxicated at the time of my viewing might have made it more entertaining.

@bewareofbears  I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I would throw out a couple of suggestions on the good side, and the bad side. I'm not sure how recent you want these films to be. I could make suggestions anywhere from the late 60's up to last week. 😂 I am going to try to name some that weren't mentioned on the first few pages of this thread.

Good

Ouija: Origin of Evil- Solid, creepy possession flick that didn't overdo it with the jump scares. They developed the atmosphere well in this one. (Avoid the first Ouija movie, it sucked as bad as The Gallows)

Cabin In The Woods- I know you said that you are not big into horror/comedies. But I think this one gives enough love to the films that we all grew up on that you will like it. It nails the horror tropes perfectly. (This one ties with Shaun of the Dead for me.) Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse belong in here too.

Train To Busan- It is a Korean zombie movie. I know that everyone is sick of the zombie subgenre by now, but this is a very good movie. If you don't mind sub-titles (avoid the damn dubbed version), I highly recommend this one.

You're Next- Great throwback to old-school horror. It's a home invasion flick with a different take, and great practical effects.

Bad

Ouija, Bye Bye Man, RIngs, Alien: Covenant, The Dark Tower, 90% of horror remakes (Although The Evil Dead was pretty good, straight horror, no campiness), 31, The Forest, Incarnate, The Darkness. I could go on for about 3 pages, but I will stop there. For every decent-good horror flick that comes out, there are 20 that suck balls!

Some fairly older favorites of mine that you may enjoy if you haven't seen them yet: The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Hatchet, [Rec] (Not Quarantine), Dawn of the Dead re-make, The Hills Have Eyes re-make, Audition (It's gross, but, I think I saw that you had watched Cannibal Holocaust), Ichi The Killer, Ginger Snaps, Cabin Fever, May, Wrong Turn (The first one is actually pretty good), High Tension, Jeepers Creepers, Wolf Creek. I don't know how many of those you have seen, I was just looking through my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

I hope you can find at least a couple in here that you will enjoy. As well as a few to ignore. 

1 hour ago, Rexfellis said:

@bewareofbears  I know this thread is kind of old, but I thought I would throw out a couple of suggestions on the good side, and the bad side. I'm not sure how recent you want these films to be. I could make suggestions anywhere from the late 60's up to last week. 😂 I am going to try to name some that weren't mentioned on the first few pages of this thread.

Good

Ouija: Origin of Evil- Solid, creepy possession flick that didn't overdo it with the jump scares. They developed the atmosphere well in this one. (Avoid the first Ouija movie, it sucked as bad as The Gallows)

Cabin In The Woods- I know you said that you are not big into horror/comedies. But I think this one gives enough love to the films that we all grew up on that you will like it. It nails the horror tropes perfectly. (This one ties with Shaun of the Dead for me.) Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse belong in here too.

Train To Busan- It is a Korean zombie movie. I know that everyone is sick of the zombie subgenre by now, but this is a very good movie. If you don't mind sub-titles (avoid the damn dubbed version), I highly recommend this one.

You're Next- Great throwback to old-school horror. It's a home invasion flick with a different take, and great practical effects.

Bad

Ouija, Bye Bye Man, RIngs, Alien: Covenant, The Dark Tower, 90% of horror remakes (Although The Evil Dead was pretty good, straight horror, no campiness), 31, The Forest, Incarnate, The Darkness. I could go on for about 3 pages, but I will stop there. For every decent-good horror flick that comes out, there are 20 that suck balls!

Some fairly older favorites of mine that you may enjoy if you haven't seen them yet: The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Hatchet, [Rec] (Not Quarantine), Dawn of the Dead re-make, The Hills Have Eyes re-make, Audition (It's gross, but, I think I saw that you had watched Cannibal Holocaust), Ichi The Killer, Ginger Snaps, Cabin Fever, May, Wrong Turn (The first one is actually pretty good), High Tension, Jeepers Creepers, Wolf Creek. I don't know how many of those you have seen, I was just looking through my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

I hope you can find at least a couple in here that you will enjoy. As well as a few to ignore. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

The second Ouija and Train to Busran have come up before and I haven't seen them yet, sounds like I should. I really enjoyed You're Next. Cabin in the Woods is a really good movie with a terrible ending- I still enjoy it but I could skip the ending.

For the bad, I agree with the ones I've seen that you mentioned.

The idea behind the thread was to find newer horror films (last 10-ish years) that are decent. There's a lot out there but the critics praise new horror films that I thought blew (ex. The Witch, The Babadook) and it made sense to me to just ask other horror fans what is actually good. There's been some great suggestions in here. Too often reviewers are more interested in seeing a social or political agenda satisfied and forget to review if the film is actually entertaining. 

For horror in general, I'm the same. My interests in horror stretches back to the 1910 Frankenstein to the Universal Monsters era to Hammer to slashers and so on. I've seen a lot of the ones you mentioned for older films but there's a few there I've never gotten around too that I'm due to check out.

1 minute ago, bewareofbears said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The second Ouija and Train to Busran have come up before and I haven't seen them yet, sounds like I should. I really enjoyed You're Next. Cabin in the Woods is a really good movie with a terrible ending- I still enjoy it but I could skip the ending.

For the bad, I agree with the ones I've seen that you mentioned.

The idea behind the thread was to find newer horror films (last 10-ish years) that are decent. There's a lot out there but the critics praise new horror films that I thought blew (ex. The Witch, The Babadook) and it made sense to me to just ask other horror fans what is actually good. There's been some great suggestions in here. Too often reviewers are more interested in seeing a social or political agenda satisfied and forget to review if the film is actually entertaining. 

For horror in general, I'm the same. My interests in horror stretches back to the 1910 Frankenstein to the Universal Monsters era to Hammer to slashers and so on. I've seen a lot of the ones you mentioned for older films but there's a few there I've never gotten around too that I'm due to check out.

Yeah, I wasn't going to bring up the Golden Age of Horror. I know that most modern audiences would not like them. I've honestly never seen the original Frankenstein in it's entirety, I will check it out. I loved the Hammer Films too. I also watch a lot of indie horror flicks, but most of those stretch into the campy to stupid realm. I hope there were at least a couple of suggestions that you find enjoyable. 

15 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Yeah, I wasn't going to bring up the Golden Age of Horror. I know that most modern audiences would not like them. I've honestly never seen the original Frankenstein in it's entirety, I will check it out. I loved the Hammer Films too. I also watch a lot of indie horror flicks, but most of those stretch into the campy to stupid realm. I hope there were at least a couple of suggestions that you find enjoyable. 

I appreciate them. :)

The 1910 Frankenstein is a short created by Thomas Edison's film company. It's interesting for all sorts of reasons. It was a lost film for a very long time. You can probably watch it on YouTube, it's not very long.

The 1931 Frankenstein is the one with Karloff and everything about it is awesome to me. :) I love Frankenstein and Frankenstein's Monster probably more than any other horror villains.

Edit:

I remember seeing the 1910 Frankenstein due to an article a couple years ago (it may have been from And You Call Yourself A Scientist!, or similar from the B-Masters Cabal).

It fades over time as you see how it's done, but the initial view of that Frankenstein is weird and unsettling. It's so unlike the rather standard Karloff trope of tall guy with bolts in his neck, more feral and straggly.

bewareofbears likes this

21 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I appreciate them. :)

The 1910 Frankenstein is a short created by Thomas Edison's film company. It's interesting for all sorts of reasons. It was a lost film for a very long time. You can probably watch it on YouTube, it's not very long.

The 1931 Frankenstein is the one with Karloff and everything about it is awesome to me. :) I love Frankenstein and Frankenstein's Monster probably more than any other horror villains.

Edit:

I watched it last night. Thanks for the link. I had seen snippets of it on YouTube before, but I had never really searched for it so I didn't know the full short was available. It was definitely interesting. I love Karloff's 1931 Frankenstein. unfortunately all modern attempts at the story have been really weak. I probably need to watch DeNiro's portrayal of the Monster from 1994 again. I remember not liking it at the time, but I have had a few friends tell me that I need to re-visit it. I need to look back to find a good rendition of this story because if The Mummy (2017) is any kind of indicator, the Universal Dark Universe story is probably going to suck a giant bag of dicks! If all else fails, I'll break out my Frankenstein: Legacy Collection 

frank.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I watched it last night. Thanks for the link. I had seen snippets of it on YouTube before, but I had never really searched for it so I didn't know the full short was available. It was definitely interesting. I love Karloff's 1931 Frankenstein. unfortunately all modern attempts at the story have been really weak. I probably need to watch DeNiro's portrayal of the Monster from 1994 again. I remember not liking it at the time, but I have had a few friends tell me that I need to re-visit it. I need to look back to find a good rendition of this story because if The Mummy (2017) is any kind of indicator, the Universal Dark Universe story is probably going to suck a giant bag of dicks! If all else fails, I'll break out my Frankenstein: Legacy Collection 

frank.jpg

I saved up to buy the legacy collection box set that came with the mini busts of Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula and the Wolf Man. At the time it was a big expense for me but it's probably the best DVD purchase I ever made. I've gone digital now and the only DVDs I kept were the legacy collection, including the Invisible Man, Creature and Mummy collections.

The 1994 Frankenstein follows the book somewhat closely and it's aged alright. I enjoy the book but I think, I can't remember, I may have seen a more faithful made-for-TV adaption. I may have it mixed up with a made-for-TV The Lost World that was really good. Regardless, the 1994 one is mostly decent. :)

The (new) Mummy was pretty awkward. I enjoyed moments of it but it really suffered from having Tom Cruise in it. I also read something about him having a lot of creative control. The issue with the Dark Universe is they're relying on stars and not good stories.

1 minute ago, bewareofbears said:

I saved up to buy the legacy collection box set that came with the mini busts of Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula and the Wolf Man. At the time it was a big expense for me but it's probably the best DVD purchase I ever made. I've gone digital now and the only DVDs I kept were the legacy collection, including the Invisible Man, Creature and Mummy collections.

The 1994 Frankenstein follows the book somewhat closely and it's aged alright. I enjoy the book but I think, I can't remember, I may have seen a more faithful made-for-TV adaption. I may have it mixed up with a made-for-TV The Lost World that was really good. Regardless, the 1994 one is mostly decent. :)

The (new) Mummy was pretty awkward. I enjoyed moments of it but it really suffered from having Tom Cruise in it. I also read something about him having a lot of creative control. The issue with the Dark Universe is they're relying on stars and not good stories.

1994 really was a great year for film. Pulp Fiction, Interview With the Vampire, Forest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Clerks, Leon (The Professional), The Lion King, Natural Born Killers, The Crow, Craven's New Nightmare, In the Mouth Of Madness, Brainscan, Cemetary Man, Phantasm III (Not great, but I loved the first two), Night of the Demons 2, Leprechaun 2....uhhh, Damn! I kind of went off on a Rain Man-esque tangent there. Sorry about that, I've been a movie-phile my whole life.

I still want to buy the big Legacy Boxed Set from Universal. I have the Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolf Man, and Dracula collections. I still want the deluxe one. I don't think they offer the one with the busts anymore. The only one I've found has the 48-page booklet. But, I still want it, and I am extremely jealous of yours, haha. Last I checked, I owned almost 800 DVDs and just over 300 BluRays. Most just sit on a shelf in my home office with the rest of my movie memorabilia. 

Another problem with the Dark Universe is that they went in with the "We need to build a cinematic universe" mentality. You're right though, Tom Cruise didn't help, they needed less established actors. But they mainly just needed to focus on making a good movie. They have the universe and monsters in place. Just concentrate all of your efforts on the movie being produced now and the rest would just fall in place organically. Once they tried to force it, it seems like it all fell apart.

I don't know if you are into reading novels, but Dean Koontz has a modern Frankenstein book series that is pretty good so far. I believe there are 5 novels in the series and I am on the third one right now. http://www.deankoontz.com/book/the-frankenstein-series-5-book-bundle-frankenstein-prodigal-son-city-of-night-dead-and-alive-lost-souls-the-dead-town/

No worries- 1994 was a good year for films. The Crow was my favourite movie for a long time.

That's an insane collection. I didn't want to move my collection anymore, or re-buy the movies I had on different formats. I also had this OCD thing where the packaging would stop me from watching a movie. I'd rather just see the title of the film and go from there.

You nailed it when you said the Dark Universe needed/needs to be organic. It feels so forced.

I haven't read much in a long while. I did hear about Dean Koontz Frankenstein books but I haven't read anything about them. If I start up reading again I'll look into them. :)

Edit:

Oops, forgot to quote. @Rexfellis

Rexfellis likes this

On 5/1/2017 at 7:30 PM, Risinggrave said:

They are nice after the fact. Sheer terror back then. 

I lucked out. As a kid in the 80's parents were sorta useless and I saw things that I look back on with a headshake. I shouldn't have seen F13, Rambo or Robocop as early as I did. F13 part 3 I watched hiding behind the chair. I'd peek out. I still remember Jason leering at Chris from the window, then bursting out from the door. Running. Gah! 

We must have had guts or were masochists, because we kept coming back. Then when we were a bit older, we'd play tag in the woods, Whoever was "it" wearing a hockey mask and waving a toy machete. There is one kid who pooped himself that I know of, and a few who peed. Though one swore for years he slipped on wet grass. 

Yeah my first experience with horror movies was at an early age. Same story with a lot of our beloved 80's gore fests. Apparently my desire to emulate that for my kids is considered a terrible idea by Mrs. Ragnar0k though. We can't let kids watch R rated movies she says....Balderdash I say!

48 minutes ago, RAGNAR0K N ROLL said:

Yeah my first experience with horror movies was at an early age. Same story with a lot of our beloved 80's gore fests. Apparently my desire to emulate that for my kids is considered a terrible idea by Mrs. Ragnar0k though. We can't let kids watch R rated movies she says....Balderdash I say!

I'm in the middle myself. I'm probably going to let my kid(s) watch shit they shouldn't, but I'll temper that. Robocop at 7? No. Maybe 14. F13 at 8? Probably not. Also a lot of it would depend on the kid. If I think they can handle mature themes, they can try stuff out. 

10 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

I'm in the middle myself. I'm probably going to let my kid(s) watch shit they shouldn't, but I'll temper that. Robocop at 7? No. Maybe 14. F13 at 8? Probably not. Also a lot of it would depend on the kid. If I think they can handle mature themes, they can try stuff out. 

Yeah I saw Robocop at 8 years old and I've been hooked ever since. I still remember being so disappointed when I was younger that I couldn't go see Jason takes Manhattan in the theaters though. So much so that I think its become my favorite one of the series simply because of the impact that the mystery of what seeing a Friday the 13th in a theater held at that young age. My parents were probably not the best at screening things like that though. My mom was always a huge fan of horror when she was little though so it may have been something more related to that. Though older pre-slasher horror wasn't as a general rule as gruesome. I still remember getting to rent videos every Saturday night when I went to the grocery store with my Mom and staying up late to watch whatever I ended up picking out for myself. That's how I got into Phantasm and NOES actually. Besides the old copies of Fangoria that is. I had a warped childhood I know and it was probably too early for alot of that stuff. But I turned out okay and never had any nightmares or such. 

I know the Wife is probably right though and I have to respect her view on stuff. I'd let my Son watch some of the things I own but he'd accidentally snitch about it to her and there would be hell to pay. :( Though she is somewhat more lax with him than my daughter who is not as of strong a constitution as he is. 

7 hours ago, RAGNAR0K N ROLL said:

Stuff. 

Awesome stuff, bro! Robocop was the best! It's still a great film to this day, being better than it's shit sequels and better than the reboot by a long shot. I'd probably put it on any top 10 favorite film list I made. 

I saw both Robocop and Jason takes Manhattan at the drive in. Bad parenting decisions at their best! JgtH was the first I saw in a theater with friends. (Fuck you New Line!) And a lot of our experiences are similar. I recall going to rent films and being freaked out by some cover art and checking Fangoria's at the magazine rack as well. NoES got us the worse. When we were kids, there was an ad on HBO for part 2. Freddy jumped through a sliding door and vanished. We thought he turned real and came into the real world. He was hiding in the room and was gonna kill us. :lol: Ah, childhood. 

As far as turning out ok, I seriously wonder on that. We kids of the 80's saw some heinous shit, but it wasn't daily on the news that we were killing animals, other kids or being outright nutjobs. I have to admit I'm baffled at what changed. I do think it comes down to that while our parents may have been oblivious, they were not absent as far as our care. Nowadays many parents are too caught up in their own stuff to raise their kids. With that, sounds like you're doing alright, so good stuff to you and the wife.  

Speaking on your kids and wife. I'd say, compromise. Work them up to the really good stuff. Start em' on the Universal monsters and the original Halloween. and NotLD Once they can handle the subject matter, that is when you ease in with the gore.