bewareofbears

Suggest a movie: Best (and worst) recent horror movies you've seen

148 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Mars816 said:

Im waiting on the new IT

Really hoping lives up to the original 

I'm hoping it's better then the original. I didn't like that too much.  I also hope they give it a bit more of the cosmic horror feel, and make the spider form scary. 

While I'm doubtful because the studios are different, I wouldn't mind a nod to the Dark Tower and vice versa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

I'm hoping it's better then the original. I didn't like that too much.  I also hope they give it a bit more of the cosmic horror feel, and make the spider form scary. 

While I'm doubtful because the studios are different, I wouldn't mind a nod to the Dark Tower and vice versa.

 

Blasphemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Invitation was a perfect slow burn thriller that Hitch would have been proud of,and the most recent movie I'd recommend. Obviously,you need to be in the right mood for this kind of flick,because you won't be getting buckets of gore flung at your face.

StageFright (1987) is probably one of my favorite Italian horror slashers. The killer wears an over-sized owl mask (that definitely inspired hotline miami) and uses a chainsaw. You can watch it on youtube - https://youtu.be/Qjpqdv40wss

 

Ban_All_Music likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

The Invitation was a perfect slow burn thriller that Hitch would have been proud of,and the most recent movie I'd recommend. Obviously,you need to be in the right mood for this kind of flick,because you won't be getting buckets of gore flung at your face.

StageFright (1987) is probably one of my favorite Italian horror slashers. The killer wears an over-sized owl mask (that definitely inspired hotline miami) and uses a chainsaw. You can watch it on youtube - https://youtu.be/Qjpqdv40wss

 

Yes to both of those. The Invitation bothered me for a while because having been a survivor of someone trying to kill me in my home, the violence in it was very accurate in how quick and pretty bloodless it was. I love well-choreographed chase scenes, but the realistic violence in new indies is an interesting change.

The Devil's Candy would be one to recommend if someone liked The Invitation. More horror than toeing the psychological thriller line like The Invitation, but it had that same flash of violence near the end(though it did go a bit over the top).

thatdudescott likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thatdudescott said:

The Invitation was a perfect slow burn thriller that Hitch would have been proud of,and the most recent movie I'd recommend. Obviously,you need to be in the right mood for this kind of flick,because you won't be getting buckets of gore flung at your face.

StageFright (1987) is probably one of my favorite Italian horror slashers. The killer wears an over-sized owl mask (that definitely inspired hotline miami) and uses a chainsaw. You can watch it on youtube - https://youtu.be/Qjpqdv40wss

 

Both great, and as others in the thread have mentioned, Green Room was another good recent one.

Check out Eden Lake if you can find it, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2017 at 6:27 PM, ShankerOne said:

If you're looking for a gorefest, there's a French horror called Inside you might like. It's certainly got the gore and is a truly F***ed up movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Ah,Shanker beat me to Inside. Great stuff,one of those ultra-violent foreign horror movies that popped up around the same time. (Frontiers,Martyrs).

 

On 1/24/2017 at 8:04 PM, Santi_Lee said:

Someone from here watched some giallo film? it's the origin of slasher, you should try it! i recommend movies like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Phenomena, Bay of Blood (One of the death scenes of this movie inspired the Jack and Sandra deaths in Part II...) and 6 donne per l'assassino.

All of these. And when you are finished those - The Bird With The Crystal Plumage and Opera. 

 

On 3/23/2017 at 9:56 PM, Splatterhouse said:

Love old school 80s slashers from the Golden Era. I recommend the site 'Hysteria Lives' to look movie reviews from that era up. Best slasher Web site on the Web.

Prom Night, The Burning, The Prowler aka Rosemary's Killer, My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas, Hell Night, Intruder, Maniac Cop trilogy, Eyes of a Stranger, Madman, Terror Train, Humongous, Terror Eyes aka Night School, and April Fools Day.

 

Yep! Also - Cheerleader Camp,Return to Horror High,Sleepaway Camp trilogy,The Slumber Party Massacre Series. Also,the hysteria lives podcast is fantastic!

On 4/28/2017 at 6:57 AM, Ban_All_Music said:

 

Also, the two Fritt Vilt/Cold Prey films for slashers. A bit "old" now since the first was released a decade ago, but they were fun traditional slashers, as long as you don't mind subtitles, with a great final girl and killer that just don't die. The third is atrocious, since it was a prequel and took it into Texas Chainsaw territory. 

Really great to see these two get noticed. I think Rob Zombie "borrowed" from 1 and 2 for his takes on Halloween.

 

I'm going to just look up at my dvd shelves and throw some out there:

Dark Night Of The Scarecrow,Dead & Buried,The Beyond,Demons,Maniac (original and remake),Basket Case,Brain Damage,Mosquito,Street Trash,Night Of The Demons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best most recent:  Trick r' Treat.  Had a very Tales from the Crypt feel to it. 

Worst:  zombie's Lords of Salem.  Very terrible.   Another was Hayride 2.  A fat sackhead jason.  Just wasnt good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MutantTaco said:

I recently saw nightmare on elms street. It was aweful I have no idea why it became so popular.

Probably for it's original idea. You're looking at it with modern standards, while it is a product of it's time. 

SexDrugs&Tea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MutantTaco said:

I recently saw nightmare on elms street. It was aweful I have no idea why it became so popular.

Like Risinggrave said, the idea was original. When I was younger when a horror movie would scare me, I'd slip into bed and sleep it off, but in Nightmare that place where you're supposed to be the safest, your head, your dreams, is actually the source of the horror.

Freddy is a cool horror movie vilain, he has a know history with the kids of Elm Street and their parents, he has a personnality and has some sick quotes, which differentiates him from the other hulking silent slashers (Michael, Leatherface, Jason).

Nancy is a kick ass Final girl, she was smart, driven and fearless, and personnally I love slasher franchises built around a heroine as much as around its vilain (Halloween, Scream, etc...).

Young Johnny Depp is dreamy <3

Risinggrave likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

 When I was younger when a horror movie would scare me, I'd slip into bed and sleep it off, but in Nightmare that place where you're supposed to be the safest, your head, your dreams, is actually the source of the horror.

 

Slightly similar topic. When we were kids my neighbor had HBO. We must have been about 7 at the time of this event. We were downstairs in the entertainment room playing with the TV on. Advert for NoES 2 comes on. There's a part where Freddy leaps through a sliding glass door and vanishes. We were dead certain Freddy had leapt from the screen and had come into the real world to kill us. We scrambled out of that room and to some adults so fast it wasn't funny. 

While Freddy doesn't hold up as being scary as an adult, as a kid he and the Shape were the two that just relentlessly had us scared. I can feel your pain as far a Nightmare taking the safety of your bed away from you. 

Also, out of likes. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow. 

SexDrugs&Tea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Risinggrave said:

Slightly similar topic. When we were kids my neighbor had HBO. We must have been about 7 at the time of this event. We were downstairs in the entertainment room playing with the TV on. Advert for NoES 2 comes on. There's a part where Freddy leaps through a sliding glass door and vanishes. We were dead certain Freddy had leapt from the screen and had come into the real world to kill us. We scrambled out of that room and to some adults so fast it wasn't funny. 

While Freddy doesn't hold up as being scary as an adult, as a kid he and the Shape were the two that just relentlessly had us scared. I can feel your pain as far a Nightmare taking the safety of your bed away from you. 

Also, out of likes. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow. 

Love these kinds of stories!! xd

I only got into horror in my late teens so I missed a lot of the fun of experiencing horror films when I was younger.

Though maybe it's better that way, because I was kind of pussy when I was younger, movies like Gremlins would absolutely TERRIFY me, so I don't know what slashers would have done to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MutantTaco said:

I recently saw nightmare on elms street. It was aweful I have no idea why it became so popular.

The same could be said about Friday the 13th. The final battle with Alice is kinda laughable if you view it from today's standards. You had an older and younger lady wrestling around at the end. And Alice could hit Pamela with a sheet of paper, then Pamela would yell and do a dramatic pose before falling over unconscious for 30 seconds. As much as I love it, that final battle is ridiculous. 

Yes, Elm Street was a product of its time as others have said. It was also imaginative, mysterious, dark and foreboding, atmospheric, had unique characters, unique villain, etc etc etc. Nancy Thompson is almost as iconic of a name as Freddy Krueger. She's like someone took the best parts of Ginny and Chris and smashed them together. It didn't adhere to the rules of the slashers at the time either. Nancy is not the protagonist at the beginning of the film...Tina is until her death. Now that we have seen a million other slashers, we can instantly pick up that Nancy will be the final girl...but for that time, it went against the grain. I could honestly go on and on and on about what sets Elm Street apart other than Freddy as a villain. Even the ambiguous ending that a lot of people hate. Drastically different from Alice or Chris's dreams in F13th, Nancy never woke up when her alarm went off. Her final showdown with Freddy is a dream. She didn't even defeat him, just ensured her safety inside of the dream in spite of the Freddy car at the end. He can torment her all he wants, but he can never kill her like the rest. (no spoilers for sequels obviously)

SexDrugs&Tea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

Love these kinds of stories!! xd

I only got into horror in my late teens so I missed a lot of the fun of experiencing horror films when I was younger.

Though maybe it's better that way, because I was kind of pussy when I was younger, movies like Gremlins would absolutely TERRIFY me, so I don't know what slashers would have done to me!

They are nice after the fact. Sheer terror back then. 

I lucked out. As a kid in the 80's parents were sorta useless and I saw things that I look back on with a headshake. I shouldn't have seen F13, Rambo or Robocop as early as I did. F13 part 3 I watched hiding behind the chair. I'd peek out. I still remember Jason leering at Chris from the window, then bursting out from the door. Running. Gah! 

We must have had guts or were masochists, because we kept coming back. Then when we were a bit older, we'd play tag in the woods, Whoever was "it" wearing a hockey mask and waving a toy machete. There is one kid who pooped himself that I know of, and a few who peed. Though one swore for years he slipped on wet grass. 

SexDrugs&Tea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SexDrugs&Tea said:

Love these kinds of stories!! xd

I only got into horror in my late teens so I missed a lot of the fun of experiencing horror films when I was younger.

Though maybe it's better that way, because I was kind of pussy when I was younger, movies like Gremlins would absolutely TERRIFY me, so I don't know what slashers would have done to me!

I used to rent them all the time as a kid. Went straight to the horror section. Had free rein from my mom to watch whatever. Every time I would pick up a new movie, would say to the clerk, "I hope this one scares me." He would always reply, "Don't count on it." He was correct. 

My biological dad forced me to watch Child's Play all the way through when I was 5, which was at the height of My Buddy doll fame...after that, nothing scared me again. 

SexDrugs&Tea likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ban_All_Music said:

My biological dad forced me to watch Child's Play all the way through when I was 5, which was at the height of My Buddy doll fame...after that, nothing scared me again. 

I had a cousin who had "My Buddy." He used to sleep with it. Then, after Childs Play he put it in the closet. 

I wonder how much money they lost on those dolls to that movie...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I had a cousin who had "My Buddy." He used to sleep with it. Then, after Childs Play he put it in the closet. 

I wonder how much money they lost on those dolls to that movie...

I had one too, hahaha. My mom had one of these. It unfortunately got lost in a move we made when I was younger, I loved scaring my friends with it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

The same could be said about Friday the 13th. The final battle with Alice is kinda laughable if you view it from today's standards. You had an older and younger lady wrestling around at the end. And Alice could hit Pamela with a sheet of paper, then Pamela would yell and do a dramatic pose before falling over unconscious for 30 seconds. As much as I love it, that final battle is ridiculous. 

Yes, Elm Street was a product of its time as others have said. It was also imaginative, mysterious, dark and foreboding, atmospheric, had unique characters, unique villain, etc etc etc. Nancy Thompson is almost as iconic of a name as Freddy Krueger. She's like someone took the best parts of Ginny and Chris and smashed them together. It didn't adhere to the rules of the slashers at the time either. Nancy is not the protagonist at the beginning of the film...Tina is until her death. Now that we have seen a million other slashers, we can instantly pick up that Nancy will be the final girl...but for that time, it went against the grain. I could honestly go on and on and on about what sets Elm Street apart other than Freddy as a villain. Even the ambiguous ending that a lot of people hate. Drastically different from Alice or Chris's dreams in F13th, Nancy never woke up when her alarm went off. Her final showdown with Freddy is a dream. She didn't even defeat him, just ensured her safety inside of the dream in spite of the Freddy car at the end. He can torment her all he wants, but he can never kill her like the rest. (no spoilers for sequels obviously)

Dammit I didn't know that. I need to know why. Now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MutantTaco said:

Dammit I didn't know that. I need to know why. Now!

She just ensured he couldn't kill her then by taking the power from him...essentially no longer being afraid of him. When you meet her again, she is taking dream suppressants. For all we know Freddy could have been in her dreams tormenting her for quite a while. Her next and final appearance in the series is in the third one, which also stars Patricia Arquette and Laurence Fishburne, if you want to give the series another go...the second Elm Street takes a flamboyant(heh) detour and the third is more of a direct sequel to the original. It's also where Freddy gets more comedic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

I had one too, hahaha. My mom had one of these. It unfortunately got lost in a move we made when I was younger, I loved scaring my friends with it. 

 

Not creepy at all. Nope. Most normal doll ever. "So little Susie, what did baby secret say?" Susie smiles and responds "Baby secret said to slit your throat when you fall asleep. May I have a cookie now?" 

17 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

the second Elm Street takes a flamboyant(heh) detour...

Most 80's scene ever. 

 

Ban_All_Music and SexDrugs&Tea like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Not creepy at all. Nope. Most normal doll ever. "So little Susie, what did baby secret say?" Susie smiles and responds "Baby secret said to slit your throat when you fall asleep. May I have a cookie now?" 

Most 80's scene ever. 

 

If you come home one day and find your place broken into with nothing stolen and everything cleaned up...it could possibly have been me doing the Mark dance. 

bewareofbears and Risinggrave like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now