bewareofbears

Rank the films from favourite to least favourite (Friday the 13th)

46 posts in this topic

Yeah, the remake doesn't seem to get a lot of love on this site. I thought it reinvented the character very well, and it took things back to the original where I think the series was at it's best. I'm kind of annoyed that it didn't get sequels. 

As far as sitting through them, the remake is one I could. Part 2 really doesn't feel like a long film at all. Six is fun and fast paced. Those are about the only ones I would do often. 

As it stands I watch 2-4 and 6 every couple of years.

Makes sense. It just felt oddly paced for me- the movie has three beginnings: Pamela's beheading, then the pothead group camping and finally the main group so it feels like it takes forever to get rolling. I'm not a big fan of the tunnels either. Was Jason providing feminine hygiene products for the girl he kept chained up? I really didn't enjoy anything that had to do with the pervy pothead in the barn- he made me cringe in a bad way. Throw in the random Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake actors as well.

On the positive, Derek Mears was a beast.

With all that said, Part 8 is my favourite and the list for issues with Part 8 is even more massive than the remake.

Jason is kind of like Batman in that everyone has their own favourite version.

Risinggrave likes this

Top three, just in release order not preference, would be 2, 3 and 6.

2 and 6 I think are genuinely good, while 3 has weaknesses but the entire last 15 mins or so for the climax is fantastic.

Bottom three...probably 5, 8 and JGTH. Think I'd easily pick watching 8 over the other two, if given the chioce between them.

5 I find aggressivly irritating (so many jerkass characters), JGTH just aggressivly stupid. Tough to pick.

12. Friday the 13th Part 9 Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

11. Friday the 13th Part 8 Jason takes Manhattan

10. Friday the 13th Part 11 Freddy vs Jason 

9. Friday the 13th Part 5 A new Beginning

8. Friday the 13th Part 10 Jason X

7. Friday the 13th Part 3 In 3D

6. Friday the 13th Part 1 The Original

5. Friday the 13th Part 2 The Sequal

4. Friday the 13th Part 12 Reboot 2009

3. Friday the 13th Part 7 The New Blood

2. Friday the 13th Part 4 the last chapter

1. Friday the 13th Part 6 Jason Lives

Makes sense. It just felt oddly paced for me- the movie has three beginnings: Pamela's beheading, then the pothead group camping and finally the main group so it feels like it takes forever to get rolling. I'm not a big fan of the tunnels either. Was Jason providing feminine hygiene products for the girl he kept chained up? I really didn't enjoy anything that had to do with the pervy pothead in the barn- he made me cringe in a bad way. Throw in the random Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake actors as well.

On the positive, Derek Mears was a beast.

With all that said, Part 8 is my favourite and the list for issues with Part 8 is even more massive than the remake.

Jason is kind of like Batman in that everyone has their own favourite version.

Damnit, this slipped past the radar. 

Maybe it's because of comics where everything gets rebooted and all that, or maybe it's because I liked the feel of a sequence where plot didn't work against our antihero. Pam dying was just to show motivation. The baghead sequence was "a day in the life." No final girl shenanigans. This is what happens when people cross paths with Jason, then the usual paint by number where the heroes have to win (depending on your view of the final scene)  I didn't feel like the movie took long to get going, but maybe that is because I'm so used to the first third of a standard slasher film being small talk and false starts.

I liked the tunnels, though I didn't need them. It helped logically explain how Jason stays hidden and also helps ease the "teleportation shenanigans." As far as his captives and their needs, I bet most die in a relatively short time. Jason then tosses the body and goes back to defending his home/looking for surrogate mom. 

As far as perv pothead guy, I wish they had done the alternate scene with him. iirc he lost his head. Jason didn't take this big swing to only cut his throat a bit. Yeah, he had it coming. I didn't have any issues with the actors, per' se, and that dickhead who owned the cabin may as well be Chad from the game in flesh. 

Agreed, Mears was a good Jason. Much better then Kirzinger in FVJ. 

I liked part 8 for what it was. It was the first one I saw in theater. (drive in if we're being technical.) But lots of stuff drop it for me. Crystal lake attaching to the ocean, Jason's history with Rennie, etc. Good film but the ending and some of it's logic really hurt it for me. 

Agreed on Jason and Bats. For the record, I seem to prefer human Jason to zombie and street level, fights with clowns and crime boss Batman compared to fights with Superman and the Flash, yet still can't defeat a clown Batman.. 

1) Part IV: The Final Chapter
2) Part VI: Jason Lives
3) Part II
4) Part VII: The New Blood
5) Friday the 13th (1980)
6) Friday the 13th (2009)
7) Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
8) Part III
9) Jason Goes to Hell
10) Freddy vs Jason
11) Jason X
12) Part V: A New Beginning

Not a bad list, Razor. I think V is a bit better then your placement, but it seems we both think 2, 4, and 6 are solid entries. 

I just went through and assigned points based on the ranks everyone gave each film with 11 points to first place, 10 to second, down to 0 points for the last film (or any that weren't listed)

Here are the results/rankings so far:

Part 4: 151 points

Part 6: 149 points

Part 2: 138 points

Part 3: 131 points

Part 1: 127 points

Part 7: 112 points

Part 8: 76 points

Part 5: 73 points

Remake: 57 points

FvJ: 41 points

Jason X: 37 points

JGTH: 25 points

So I guess if this is anyone's order, you win?

I just went through and assigned points based on the ranks everyone gave each film with 11 points to first place, 10 to second, down to 0 points for the last film (or any that weren't listed)

Here are the results/rankings so far:

Part 4: 151 points

Part 6: 149 points

Part 2: 138 points

Part 3: 131 points

Part 1: 127 points

Part 7: 112 points

Part 8: 76 points

Part 5: 73 points

Remake: 57 points

FvJ: 41 points

Jason X: 37 points

JGTH: 25 points

So I guess if this is anyone's order, you win?

Damn. My love of 2009 screwed me out of the gold. Can I have a participation trophy? 

On a more serious note, the averages are not bad in my opinion. 2, 4, and 6 are my picks for strongest of the franchise. It's cool that the community more or less agrees. 

Nice work!

For the sake of completion, I've though about and put together a full list to replace my three best/worst previously. If you feel like adjusting your figures.

1st - Part VI: Jason Lives

2nd - Part 2

3rd - Part 3

4th - Part IV: The Final Chapter

5th - Part 1

6th - Part VII: The New Blood

7th - Jason X

8th - Freddy vs Jason

9th - Friday 2009

10th - Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

11th - Jason Goes to Hell

12th - Part V: A New Beginning

3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 5, FvJ, Reboot, X, GtH.

Original four (and supposed to be only four) are hands down the best of the lot.

Next four are #5-8. 6 is often regarded as the best of them all as it is well-written, directed, produced, scripted, and acted. I still prefer the original four over 6.

The four bastard children come in #9-12. FvJ is the most entertaining of the four thanks to Freddy being Jason's toughest "camp counselor" challenge (and his sense of humor). Goes to Hell is a trainwreck for 90% of the way. Saw it on opening day in the theatre and the audience was WTF for the entire time, some yelling out, "WHERE THE F%%K IS JASON?!!!!!" Awful. Only good part is the main protagonist from the F13 TV Series got the male lead role. Was happy for him.

1. Part 6: Jason Lives- Perfectly balances humor with slasher movie fun, this film is campy in a good way, has a great Jason actor, a cool main character in Tommy, and some fantastic deaths.

2. Part 3- There is something about this film that makes it stand out to me. It has some of the best and most memorable counselors/victims in the series, the barn is a really cool set piece, and I think Richard Brooker made for a very scary Jason, the way he creeps around stealthily. Plus, who doesn't love that moment when Jason first shows up with his mask on?

3. Remake- Out of all the shitty horror remakes, I will never understand how Friday the 13th got the only good one. It updates things enough to feel fresh by making Jason run and have all kinds of traps and tunnels set up around camp, while not losing the spirit of the original. Derek Mears remains my favorite Jason Voorhees and that jacket just looks so bad ass on him.

4. Part 1- Might be a bit of an oddball compared to the later entries, but is still good fun. Pamela is terrifying in an unconventional sense, and Betsy Palmer really knocked it out of the park with her first horror role.

5. Freddy vs. Jason- It's a royal smackdown between horror legends. From the moment they get to Crystal Lake, this film is a non-stop joyride. The survivors may be lame, and the pacing a little rushed, but who cares once those two start beating each other up?

6. Part 2- Probably the only Friday the 13th film to really scare me, as that opening with Alice is really frightening, this film is really where the series found its footing and developed the trends it would settle in to.

7. Part 4: The Final Chapter- Essentially, I just think of this one as a less good Part 3. Nothing much to really say on it. A lot of people say it's the best of the first 4, but it never really clicked with me, and I'm not the biggest fan of Ted White's performance compared to Brooker.

8. Part 5: A New Beginning- A lot of people don't like this one, but I consider it good fun. Memorable characters, much more engaging character development than previous entries, and an admittedly neat twist with some psychological horror elements makes this entry stand out.

9. Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan- Yes, we all know barely any of the film is actually in New York. But you know what? I like the boat setting. It was cool and claustrophobic, a neat way to change things up. Plus, it has some fantastic humor and lots of moments that make me laugh every time, and I would consider this Kane Hodder's best performance as Jason. And the New York bit is basically a non-stop thrill ride. I'm not sure a movie with Jason in a city the entire time could really work. How would he sneak around and stay hidden with that many people?

10. Jason Goes to Hell: I've always maintained my stance that this is a great horror movie, but a poor Jason film. I actually liked the body changing mechanic, and it's got some great deaths and fun main cast. Duke is the only person besides Tommy I would really consider a worthy nemesis to Jason.

11. Part 7: The New Blood- Honestly, this film kinda bores me. It feels like the formula was getting stale at this point, probably why they started changing things up in the next few films. The final battle with Tina is a great special effects spectacle, but everything leading up to that is really dull, especially with the kills all horribly censored. I will say though, the Jason appearance here is one of the best in the series.

12. Jason X- This is the only, THE ONLY, Friday the 13th film I hate. It feels like such a slap in the face, like the film makers just didn't give a damn about Jason or the story what so ever. And it's a shame, because this film does have some good moments, but they're trapped in a piss-poor concept of a film. And while the liquid nitrogen kill is cool, waaaaaay too many of the deaths in this movie are off-screen. Honestly, I don't even consider this movie canon, and just treat it as a "What If..." scenario. FvJ is a much better send off to both these horror icons' stories.

1. Part 3

2. Part 2

3. Remake

4. Part 6

5. Part 8

6. Part 1

7. Part 4

8. Freddy vs Jason

9. Part 9

10. Part 5

11. Part 7

12. Jason X

For me it goes something like this:

Part 6

Part 4

Part 5 (I put it this high cause have a lot of Nostalgia for this one as it was the first Friday the 13th movie I had watched)

Freddy vs. Jason

Part 7

Part 3

Part 1

Remake

Part 2

Jason X

Part 8

Part 9

Still in disbelief after all these years that someone actually green-lit Jason Goes to Hell.

No wonder why studios were so adverse to continuing the series after that steaming turd.

hmm tricky, but will give it a shot;

part VI

part I

Part II

part III

part IV

Jason vs Freddy

Reboot

part VII

part V

part VIII

part X

part IX

I'm gonna give them scores out of 10...with 10 being amazing.

Part 1: 8/10

Part 2: 9.9/10

Part 3: 8.5/10

Part 4: 8/10

Part 5: No such thing

Part 6: 4/10

Part 7: 1.5/10

Part 8: 2/10

Part 9: 0/10

Part 10: Come on...

FvJ: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - nope

2009 remake: 7.5/10 

I just re watched part IX again for the , I have no idea how many times, wraahaargh.

It's like having your teeth pulled, I want to like it bit it's almost impossible lol. 

It's like they really wanted to kill the franchise with this title.

Only good thing for me from this movie, are some forest scenes, the soundtrack and the Voorhees estate.

I guess I am the only person who actually liked Jason goes to Hell, I wouldn't put it in my top 3, but I wouldn't say it is the worst, but to each their own.